Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I check the Steam front page fairly often, and for the first time I noticed SCVI on the best sellers list! Not sure what would have caused the spike in sales, maybe just more people getting excited since the game comes out so soon.

Whatever the reason, it's nice to see, since I've never seen the game much on Steam before and was worried it'll fly under the radar. Happy to see that probably won't be case.

View attachment 51821
Pleasant news all in all. Very nice!☺️

Got my copy pre-ordered, just need a stick for Xbone but can't seem to find anything decent. Open to suggestions, prefer Japanese parts and good artwork! It's a shame the Hori SC VI edition has such bland artwork.

If worse comes to worst, I'll have to get a Razer.

40 hours of story is probably how long it takes a casual who sucks at the game to go through main story chronicle + all individual character chronicle + whatever libra of souls playthoughs they did.

I check the Steam front page fairly often, and for the first time I noticed SCVI on the best sellers list! Not sure what would have caused the spike in sales, maybe just more people getting excited since the game comes out so soon.

Whatever the reason, it's nice to see, since I've never seen the game much on Steam before and was worried it'll fly under the radar. Happy to see that probably won't be case.
I've been seeing it pop up occasionally in the regional top sellers since last week's beta. It's also been hovering around top 30 or better worldwide in that time.

Imo Daishi wanted to try to redo the Tekken 3 thing but did it all wrong. MKX also tried something like that and worked very well for them (I mean by Ed Boon the father of the franchise, no one in the world can handle MK franchise better than guy so)

I had forgotten about Tekken 3, that was a long time ago but i remember thinking why would Paul still be able to fight the same way if its been almost 20 years later. I really don't think people liked the idea back then either but that was pre internet days so there wasn't a lot of ways to be vocal about opinions. Plus in general i think people care way less for anything story related in Tekken. The perception of Tekken is its just a fighting game and that is it but Soulcalibur's fans are a bit more critical of that sort of thing.

MK wow, its been a while since i've payed any attention to MK. I don't think that franchise should do fighting games. Those characters have never really had the substance and style required for that. At least not to begin with anyway. Sure they've shoehorned in various mechanics and features over the years but that always seems out of place because the foundation of the series never had most of it anyway. It was basically fatalities and a few specials for each character while the general combat was pretty much identical for everyone. The best thing that has ever come out of MK was Shaolin Monks. Aside from that i vaguely recall being somewhat impressed with 4 when that hit the arcades. They should really consider doing a battle royal ffa game or something like that. Use the fatalities as a mechanic to prevent respawns and permanently remove players from the matches. I'll bet that would be fun.

Just this, lol
Nah, the timeskip was absolutely necessary. SCIV was horrid story-wise and pretty much railroaded every character into irrelevance. Not to mention the roster was simultaneously a "best of" while also being boring and dry. Timeskip was needed to add new plotlines, re-invent old characters, and introduce new ones that could take old places while also being unique and (here's what SCV missed) beimg entertaining and original in and of themselves without straying from what made the old characters memorable. That was what T3 did. That's what Garou did. SFIII also missed that, but for the opposite reasons. The characters were too unique, and made no sense compared to the classics. They lost the perfect fit that 2 and Alpha cast had. I personally love them because they were good characters in their own right, but few of them stood for what SF represented and that's what did SF in for a few years.

Tldr: Timeskip was needed, PS just fucked it up.

Nah, the timeskip was absolutely necessary. SCIV was horrid story-wise and pretty much railroaded every character into irrelevance. Not to mention the roster was simultaneously a "best of" while also being boring and dry. Timeskip was needed to add new plotlines, re-invent old characters, and introduce new ones that could take old places while also being unique and (here's what SCV missed) beimg entertaining and original in and of themselves without straying from what made the old characters memorable. That was what T3 did. That's what Garou did. SFIII also missed that, but for the opposite reasons. The characters were too unique, and made no sense compared to the classics. They lost the perfect fit that 2 and Alpha cast had. I personally love them because they were good characters in their own right, but few of them stood for what SF represented and that's what did SF in for a few years.

They can't copy and paste an old characters' moveset onto a new one though. I don't think there would have been any acceptable way to do that regardless of how unique or entertaining they are. People who adore Taki either may or may not like Natsu depending on why they like Taki in the first place. People who hated Taki aren't suddenly going to start liking Natsu because she's too similar. The end result of that will be bad overall. Even if it didn't work for SF3, i think it could have been better for SC. In this game, the weapon sells the character to the audience as much as the character itself so they have that advantage to work with.

Well the good thing about Soul Calibur V was that it now really makes Soul Calibur VI look that much better. If nothing else I think that Soul Calibur V was really rock-bottom for the series and now we are on a steady incline (too early to say how well SCVI will do but one can hope based off the exposure it's getting)

In regards to the timeskip, I think that it's hard to say how good it was intended to be. The fact of the matter is, we were supposed to see Taki in the story mode, the majority of the story mode was cut, and some fan favorite styles were totally missing. I think that if they had the time they needed, the game would have been a completely different one than what we ended up with.

With what we got, it is easy to say that they "didn't commit" to the timeskip. I would almost be willing to bet you that they intended to kill off a few characters from the story. I would have much rather had old styles return with no modifications with additional brand new styles (IE more characters like ZWEI and Viola), but instead we got old movelists that were changed here and there and put into a shell of a character that had little to no depth (but most of that is because of timing).

Regardless I am focusing on SCVI because that is the true prize for every fan and I think that almost everyone can agree that it is a good time to be a soul calibur fan

It's possible that SoulCalibur V would have been great, had the game been completed. As-is, the new characters were mostly unexplained, much as it was true that some missing characters who weren't replaced in any way weren't explained either. No Koreans included could have been justified by history, but they weren't even mentioned, for one example. They could have shown Taki, Setsuka, Xianghua, and others, who weren't playable, but given them context as to why they weren't playable. There was a lot of missed opportunity, most of which I feel like would have been included had the game not been rushed out the door after the natural disasters that stilted its development. I feel like what they'll do now, when they get back to that period of time, is not skip, but gradually lead up to 1607, and ease us into the changes, and it probably will go a lot better.

Respectfully disagree. I agree that new life needed to be put into the old characters and new plotlines needed to be introduced after SCIV, but I still don't buy that a timeskip was a good solution, I actually think it's one of the worst possible solutions.

It's very hard for me (and many others) to get on board with any solution that results in classic characters that have been series staples for over a decade being replaced with copies and lookalikes. Even if SCV's replacement cast were actually entertaining and memorable, it's still just not a solution that results in any kind of long-term satisfaction for players. The more invested players become in the new cast, the worse it is when they inevitably take them out and go back to the classic cast. It's just a dead-end. It might be an exciting idea to have a new timeline and new characters, but long term that excitement wears off and you're left with an unnecessarily large and bloated cast and a timeline that is even more convoluted. It's a gimmick to generate interest and excitement, but not a particularly good or lasting one imo. You can still breathe life into the series without resorting to a timeskip, all they had to do was give us new and interesting things to care about. SCV had a lot of interesting ideas and directions it could have gone, like focusing more on the malfested and the stuff with Elysium. Those ideas on their own could have been a great game, the timeskip didn't do anything to enhance those good ideas.

I've always been of the opinion that there is a lot of potential in SC's characters and story, but they've been unable to satisfactorily explore that potential and take advantage of the rich story and characters they've had. SCVI is remedying this problem the right way, without gimmicks, just by exploring and adding depth and detail to the characters we all know and love, not by replacing them or trying to dress it up too much with gimmicks.

Soul Calibur V could have been so good had they actually managed to complete the story mode and we weren’t left to suffer through all of it with Patroklos. Pyrrha as the new host of Soul Edge was actually one of my favorite things about the game. And then the aspect of some characters getting replaced and others straight up disappearing from the game completely. I wouldn’t have minded the new characters if A. the ones that mattered actually had their backstories explored (Viola/Z.W.E.I.) and B. the ones that were arbitrarily added had things to distinguish them from being completely one-dimensional caricatures (Xiba, Leixia, Natsu).

Back