Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

SoulCalibur 5 would've been great if it had something for our custom characters to actually do. You know, a well thought out story mode for them. So glad that SoulCalibur 6 fixed this issue.

Most of my time spent on SoulCalibur 3 was because of Chronicles of the Sword.

I had forgotten about Tekken 3, that was a long time ago but i remember thinking why would Paul still be able to fight the same way if its been almost 20 years later. I really don't think people liked the idea back then either but that was pre internet days so there wasn't a lot of ways to be vocal about opinions. Plus in general i think people care way less for anything story related in Tekken. The perception of Tekken is its just a fighting game and that is it but Soulcalibur's fans are a bit more critical of that sort of thing.

Actually the mature paul was praised and liked in my area at least, and including myself. And i think it the case in the entire world.

Also in Tekken 3 replacement were overall way better than the originals in both gameplay and design, quite opposite with SC5. without counting the issue of bunch of mimic and clones thing.

For me SC5 isn't a total trash like many people consider it, it still way more fun to play than SC4 and way less buggy than SC3. It introduced Zwei one of the best new character in the serie imo. The first SC game where i got to really love Mitsurugi, Ivy having one of her best artwork and default costume, the first ever 3D fighting game that was quite "playable" online to say the least. It has gorgeous stages and the transitions were quite sick and dope OST. Also for me Patroklos was a very interesting character, just that the idea to make him main character was a bit dumb tbh lol

It just that, too many iconic OG and unique styles characters weren't in, to many mimic, Omega and Alpha that were a bit too much being here just to easily fullfit slots, half A**ed story, but despite this, it still had some very great stuff in it.

Here are the camps I belong to:

1. The time skip was a good idea.
2. SoulCalibur V could have been good if the other new characters had been given stories.
3. The only story that was there was awful.
4. Patroklos was fine. Asshole main characters can totally work. But he was an asshole in a poorly written, poorly told story.
5. SoulCalibur V was still a great game.

Every Soul Calibur excels in its own regard.
SCI introduced us to good newcomers such as Ivy
SCII had the quick-fast gameplay
SCIII had LOADS of content
SCIV had a good roster with really good graphics
SCV had a robust creation, the best online in all the games, and pretty fun gameplay
SCVI has the best roster since IV, the best gamplay, the same creation with new additions, and a variety of story options.

Credit goes to bk2128 (BlackKite) , from his Twitter profile. He did the translation. "Soul Calibur VI takes approx. 40 hours to clear the story, but promises infinite gameplay time for versus & character creations".
SCVI Fami review (1) *More like a re-depiction of the story beginning rather than a new story development +Other than individual character stories, you can also enjoy the other side w/ your custom chars, which is interesting.
SCVI Fami review (2) +Can do deep tactics without complex controls +Easy commands w/ not too many moves +Reversible Edge also acts as aid to beginners, so newcomers can jump in too.
SCVI Fami review (3) *Story has still images & short episodes; feels light but easy to understand +Custom chars can be created in much detail. Depending on choices they can change to good or evil side which is good *Systems & gameplays feel close to the 1st game.
Holy shit 40 hrs for story damn!!!! Still taking this mag with a grain of salt tho. Let's just face it sc5 getting a high review is bullshit. It's the most lackluster sc game ever made.

How many characters are left to be revealed - base unlockable or dlc regardless? Are they delayed to surprise us and boost sales closer to release - or are they incomplete?

I have to agree, I find the hate on SCV is unwarranted. I'm old enough to remember when SCIV was the red-headed stepchild that sold its soul to big-money IPs, and I found the sentiment silly back then too.

SCV sped up and streamlined the gameplay, replaced CFs with the CE and BE system, consolidated its story mode to a single continuity, improved its character creator dramatically, divorced customization from stats, and included an aesthetically appropriate guest. These were all in reaction to criticisms weighed against SCIV, and it's very telling that SCVI has built on these instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

On a personal level, SCV was the first time I was able to get dozens of people into the series who just weren't before. Whether you can thank there being a universally new cast for everyone, its brighter color palette compared to IV, or the aforementioned gameplay changes, the game ended up being one of my best investments in the past decade. Would the game had been better if 3/4ths of the story wasn't cut for bad weather and executive meddling? Probably, and there are a number of other minuses that bother me to this day, which I noticed SCVI isn't always fixing. A shame. Regardless, I loved IV, I loved V more, and I'm probably going to like VI even more. We'll see how that plays out for everyone else.

--Forgon

Honestly i suspect that if Hwang and Cassy will be shown on the story and won't be in the game, i think there is good chances they may be a part of the season pass.

When does Sony/Microsoft start charging for the preorders? I preordered in September and thought I would be charged by now.

To drag up some ancient speculation, I'm still going to be amused if Grøh was the man who became Z.W.E.I., and Azwel was the original Graf Dumas.

How many characters are left to be revealed - base unlockable or dlc regardless? Are they delayed to surprise us and boost sales closer to release - or are they incomplete?

i think we will see at least something regarding DLC about 1 month after release and they should release it in a steady and consisted manner. they should be almost done by now just balancing things out and polishing i guess.

Back