Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

im so ready to delete tekken 7 from my ps4 to make room for the legendary, superior fighting game Soul Calibur 6 on friday
C-B0cqEXgAUGEXR.jpg

Having seen every character's Chronicle of the Soul story...

I can say with confidence that the notion of this game creating a "new timeline" is indeed fallacious. Every character follows their preestablished backstory, motivations, and actions up until just before the events of SCII. The actual legitimate changes are few and far between and so insignificant that I wouldn't be surprised if a few were just products of localization errors in past games. The rest are just additions to vague areas of the story where there was room to flesh out events or interactions. Not only does each character's story fall in-line with the preexisting SCI timeline, some even acknowledge or set-up revelations or developments from SCIII, SCIV, and SCV. Okubo was right to walk back his "reboot" comment. It created a false impression. This game wanted to retell and expand on the existing lore, not restart with a clean slate.

As for our new additions to the roster, they were created to expand on that one tidbit of lore about King Arthur, and Project Soul did a really good job with it. A secret organization working behind the scenes is the perfect fit for a game covering events that have already been established. And the characters themselves are both interesting in their own right and the perfect complement to the Libra of Souls storyline that's supposed to be taking place in the background of SCI's history. There was even some clever writing in smoothly implementing them into the existing story threads, like having the letter Raphael read regarding the Evil Seed and Soul Edge be penned by Azwel. If this game were to be blessed with a sequel, I look forward to what they do with the Aval Organization for other games' plotlines.

Overall, I am quite satisfied.

--Forgon

@Forgon

Except I don’t foresee us ever going back to the SCV era. I mean, what better way to destroy all the good will they’ve built up?

We can't even be certain there will be another game to explore any era at this point. And if there shall, they may well be planning to indulge in retelling SCII-IV first. But if they weren't at least open to revisiting SCV, they wouldn't...

... have specified the "dark pretenses" for Raphael acquiring his own manor be him masquerading under a false identity to ingratiate himself to the local Lord Dumas and become his adopted heir. That serves no purpose other than to tie-in Raphael later becoming Nightmare as the future Graf Dumas. They are not rocking the boat here.

As an aside, the biggest "ill will" SCV left was the absence of certain characters, characters who can be written back into the story since all save one are alive and well. Not to mention the 3/4ths of story for the existing cast that never got to be told. When or whether they shall cover it, I doubt anybody knows, but let's not pretend there would be nearly as much vitriol over SCV if it included the same characters and story content that SCVI was able to realize.

--Forgon

Last edited:
We can't even be certain there will be another game to explore any era at this point. And if there shall, they may well be planning to indulge in retelling SCII-IV first. But if they weren't at least open to revisiting SCV, they wouldn't...

... have specified the "dark pretenses" for Raphael acquiring his own manor be him masquerading under a false identity to ingratiate himself to the local Lord Dumas and become his adopted heir. That serves no purpose other than to tie-in Raphael later becoming Nightmare as the future Graf Dumas. They are not rocking the boat here.

As an aside, the biggest "ill will" SCV left was the absence of certain characters, characters who can be written back into the story since all save one are alive and well. Not to mention the 3/4ths of story for the existing cast that never got to be told. When or whether they shall cover it, I doubt anybody knows, but let's not pretend there would be nearly as much vitriol over SCV if it included the same characters and story content that SCVI was able to realize.

--Forgon
I don’t think anyone wants to see Patroklos ever again nor do they want to lose their favorite characters for some stupid story.

My guess is SCVII will retell II-IV while VIII will pick up afterwards without the massive time skip. Makes sense.

I actually liked the lead up to the time skip. Sophitia's story in particular was perfectly tragic and filled me with a sense of catharsis. I wouldn't be mad about revisiting that, but keeping her in the game as a playable character regardless of her dying, like what MK does. Pyrrha and Pat would need a more likeable and innovative design if they were to come back (which I'm not opposed to because they, Pyrrha specifically, had a super interesting backstory).

I like the potential of the new generation they created (plus it's unrealistic to stay with the same characters as the main ones forever) it was just rlly badly executed

I don’t think anyone wants to see Patroklos ever again nor do they want to lose their favorite characters for some stupid story.

My guess is SCVII will retell II-IV while VIII will pick up afterwards without the massive time skip. Makes sense.

Call them crazy, but those Patty fans do exist. Regardless, as I said before, those favorite characters can be written back into the story. Them not being written into SCV means little when nothing disqualifies them either. It's been done with Raphael in SCII and done again with Groh and Azwel in SCVI. But, that's beside the point. My original post was acknowledging how SCVI handled lore apropos to other games, not where hypothetical future games shall take it. It'll be years before either of us can confirm that. Let's first see if SCVI sells well enough to even consider the possibility of a sequel.

--Forgon

Back