Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

It's not about defending it because I play Ivy, zoning is literally what Ivy is about and mid range is where she's the most powerful. Lab the character and learn how to punish her potential mixups.

Also don't think that I have an easy time dealing with characters, I have yet to properly understand Talim and more often than not she absolutely destroys me when someone knows how to use her properly and that's with characters like Geralt and Yoshimitsu.

It's not about defending it because I play Ivy, zoning is literally what Ivy is about and mid range is where she's the most powerful. Lab the character and learn how to punish her potential mixups.

Also don't think that I have an easy time dealing with characters.
Don't get me wrong and I hate to say this but Ivy is busted as hell. You can't just say "lab her" as your response to anyone's complaint. Even with mix-ups it's a 50/50 at best, so half the time you'll be eating an attack with the 2a+g mixup every time. High level Ivy is the bane of my existence. I can beat her, but it is painstaking.

Just saying, don't say 'lab her' as an argument. You need to take into the account the players who are playing. Even if you know the mixups it doesn't mean you can magically beat ivy 100% no matter what. Take basketball for example. I understand the theory and strategy and everything. It doesn't mean I can snap Kyrie now.

Id rather other characters get buffed, but ivy really needs a nerd imo.

Don't get me wrong and I hate to say this but Ivy is busted as hell. You can't just say "lab her" as your response to anyone's complaint. Even with mix-ups it's a 50/50 at best, so half the time you'll be eating an attack with the 2a+g mixup every time. High level Ivy is the bane of my existence. I can beat her, but it is painstaking.

Just saying, don't say 'lab her' as an argument. You need to take into the account the players who are playing. Even if you know the mixups it doesn't mean you can magically beat ivy 100% no matter what. Take basketball for example. I understand the theory and strategy and everything. It doesn't mean I can snap Kyrie now.

Id rather other characters get buffed, but ivy really needs a nerd imo.

It is as simple as that. I watch a lot of high level play and I can tell you now ivy is extremely good but not Impossible.

You need to poke holes in her offense zoning characters that second guess their decisions make fatal mistakes.

From my experience it’s knowing what to duck and punish.
I’m not sure of the notation but her

6AAA the last hit is a high duck and punish.
Serpent embrace AA where she stretches the weapon for a camera angle change, duck and punish.

6B? Vertical that has massive push back, high crush it or duck and punish.
(Tira 66AA Killik A+B/FC 1B)

66A whiffs at close range if you’re kissing her in the mouth basically.

If your character has good high crushes use them.
She hasn’t got loads of break attacks either so reversal edge when up close (my advice would be to start doing that when she has meter)
Doing so you’ll eventually catch her CE when she throws it out in frustration for “entitled” damage.

Most Ivy’s follow a similar attack pattern because they know how OP those attacks are.
Ride out the storm then ride her ass.
The amount of rage quits I’ve got are from ivy players which does more for me than a simple victory quote.

... Although “How many more, should I send to the grave today?” Really does make my day HA!

I'm coming to terms with her 2A+G, but it having tracking while she has 66A in that range as well is beyond stupid. If she wants to catch step she should be forced to use 66A, if she wants to catch you standing still she should use 2A+G. 2A+G should always lose to movement, the sheer fact that move is there and you are forced to move around is strong enough imo...

Everyone here is aware 66(A) has annoying dead spaces where both hits whiff completely or at least one hit whiffs, right?

I honestly think that some people have such a bad time against Ivy that they block stuff like that from entering their mind.

Ivy players who are aware and well-prepared don't let anyone "stay in her face", let alone the slower characters. They rain down with the same supreme zoning moves and abuse the highly criticized low throw to no end. I'm not saying it's impossible to get in, but the hurdle is disproportionate compared to the rest and quickly becomes more tedious than fun. That abomination of a teleport low throw rings out, runs full screen, can’t be punished on block, it tracks, no sidestep on oki, and without oki it’s still a frame perfect step, otherwise it tracks. Quite honestly, it's no wonder people are speaking up.

GUARD IMPACTING IS FREE. People are "speaking up" because they are bad at the match-up.

since I've gotten into E rank I've been matched with Ivy basically 80% of the time, it's insane, fortunately all this matches helped me learn how to punish most of the common moves with Nightmare, but yes the main strategy remains to get as close as possible.

EDIT: about the 2A+G throw I think it should have a fixed range or at least a smaller area (like any other throw) because right now if you are a bit far a way from ivy she can do it.

2 A+G has a fixed range, wtf game are you playing? Are you joking?

GUARD IMPACTING IS FREE. People are "speaking up" because they are bad at the match-up.
2 A+G has a fixed range, wtf game are you playing? Are you joking?

Maybe I did not explain myself well (english is not my first language), what I'm trying to say is that that move has a area where it gets you and I believe that area is too big right now, @syntus even said that there are two areas

Last edited:
Maybe I did not explain myself well (english is not my first language), what I'm trying to say is that that move has a area where it gets you and I believe that area is too big right now, @syntus even said that there are two areas

That is two different moves. 2A+G and 3A+G. So one move doesnt cover that entire area. A decision has to be made and commited by the Ivy player based on distance.

Calm down. People aren't bad just for questioning the legitimacy of certain moves. There's GI going on all the time when playing on a certain level, it doesn't facilitate things and certainly not against some of her dirtiest range stuff. Nor does GI justify the stinker moves.

@sytus even said that there are two areas
Two areas that require two different commands 2 A+G and 3 A+G. The AoE of these two are next to each other which is why I said mid range and max mid range. Those are the only areas the ground grab works

A suggestion to those who are struggling with this 50/50. Use your ears. Funnily enough humans react to sound faster than visual, listen out for Ivy's enslave taunt.

That is two different moves. 2A+G and 3A+G. So one move doesnt cover that entire area. A decision has to be made and commited by the Ivy player based on distance.
Two areas that require two different commands 2 A+G and 3 A+G. The AoE of these two are next to each other which is why I said mid range and max mid range. Those are the only areas the ground grab works
A suggestion to those who are struggling with this 50/50. Use your ears. Funnily enough humans react to sound faster than visual, listen out for Ivy's enslave taunt.

Thank you for clarifying that👍 I will try to train with that GI next time. I am here to learn and improve.

Bear in mind that Ivy can G cancel 2A+G meaning she can simply bait a whiff with zero risk. So GI isn't the god answer here.

Bear in mind that Ivy can G cancel 2A+G meaning she can simply bait a whiff with zero risk. So GI isn't the god answer here.

But does she she really have enough time to do anything from a whiffed GI at that distance? This isnt sarcasm, i'm legitimately asking asking because i dont know if she can actually punished a whiffed GI from there.

no more word on 2B release date?
There's been no news since that Japanese stream they did one and a half weeks ago. I'm haven't even heard anything from Olcadan in ages. We also haven't seen Vergeben say anything in ages. I wonder if he still thinks it's Lizardman and Hwang we'll get as DLC characters.

Back