Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So remind me how long did it take for Amy to be released after the steam dlc files update happened? Like the one "Cassandra" just recieved?

I don't expect anything until EVO myself, but at least we get this pleasant possibility: Since for a while we usually had announcements on Thursdays, save for the occasional Tuesday or rare alternative, we could have the announcement tomorrow, and the update and release could come the same day, or next Tuesday/Thursday, in line with the usual days of content releases. Or the week after EVO at the worst if it takes until then to be announced. Not bad of a wait regardless when you think about it.

All of this is true, and Night Terror would be redundant, because Inferno took some Night Terror traits and combined it with Inferno traits as well as a permananently Soul Charged Nightmare and gave us the overpowered mess of a character that we do have, waste of slot, can't be used online, all the things that have already been said, instead of giving us a mimic style to use, which would have actually been practical. (Come on, Edge Master as a free bonus to cap off the first season pass or a median tideover before the second season pass!)
I personally don't see what the guff is about with Inferno. He's useless as a playable character among competitive players, but he's clearly not intended to be used in that role. He's the same throw-away character who would have been in the game's code regardless, but they threw in a way to access him as a (admittedly low value) freebie, so you don't need to know how to hack the game in order to putz around with him and test his frames or whatever else some obsessive fan might want to look at. While that may not give the average competetive player anything more than five minutes worth of entertainment, why is it a negative thing in any sense? It really feels like yet another example of the fans of this franchise (or contemporary gamers in general, really) just being willing to embrace any ridiculous thing they think gives them an excuse to bellyache. And yeah, I agree with you that as freebies go, I would rather have had Edge Master than Inferno, but it's not like its an either/or situation: they easily could have done both with very little effort and their decision not to include a mimic has no real relation to their decision to give us a menu shortcut to play around with the boss character, which is all that his inclusion in the Versus menu really amounts to.

As to Night Terror, I agree we won't be seeing him this game, but I think he's likely to make an appearance in SCVII, some years from now.

I don't expect anything until EVO myself, but at least we get this pleasant possibility: Since for a while we usually had announcements on Thursdays, save for the occasional Tuesday or rare alternative, we could have the announcement tomorrow, and the update and release could come the same day, or next Tuesday/Thursday, in line with the usual days of content releases. Or the week after EVO at the worst if it takes until then to be announced. Not bad of a wait regardless when you think about it.
Well, their approach so far this game has been to not let any little release go by without some degree of fanfare and elevated marketing, and I doubt they would choose the last item of season 1 to change that and let it whimper out without much celebration. So, much as I would just as soon have her sooner, regardless of the hullahbaloo, I think we probably are looking at an Evo announcement.

Last edited:
I personally don't see what the guff is about with Inferno.
I'm more bothered by his placement on the roster in the corner, being reminded every time he doesn't belong, instead of going in the perfectly logical center circle. It's like, not only is he not useful competitively, he's also taking up valuable space on our limited character selection screen, so psychologically, it seems like a much bigger deal than it actually is. As you say, it would have been better if we had both Edge Master and Inferno, with Edge Master being in the upper left corner and usable online as a pure mimic, and Inferno being in the center as his overpowered sillyness. I don't have an issue with Inferno being playable, it's just that he is playable while Edge Master is not, and his unfortunate positioning in the character selection screen.

As to Night Terror, I agree we won't be seeing him this game, but I think he's likely to make an appearance in SCVII, some years from now.
I almost want to say we may actually not see him, though if the alternative is Abyss, then maybe it would be one or the other. I believe if we are doing any divergence of story, it's going to be the SoulCalibur III sector. I'd say it's quite possible that we do SoulCalibur II the same, but instead of Raphael becoming a vampire after stabbing Soul Edge, becoming infected, and then relatively restored to health, he just goes straight to being the next host of Soul Edge, and so the SoulCalibur V story beats take place in the SoulCalibur III timeline instead of 17 years in the future. That could be interesting.

I personally don't see what the guff is about with Inferno. He's useless as a playable character among competitive players, but he's clearly not intended to be used in that role. He's the same throw-away character who would have been in the game's code regardless, but they threw in a way to access him as a (admittedly low value) freebie, so you don't need to know how to hack the game in order to putz around with him and test his frames or whatever else some obsessive fan might want to look at. While that may not give the average competetive player anything more than five minutes worth of entertainment, why is it a negative thing in any sense? It really feels like yet another example of the fans of this franchise (or contemporary gamers in general, really) just being willing to embrace any ridiculous thing they think gives them an excuse to bellyache. And yeah, I agree with you that as freebies go, I would rather have had Edge Master than Inferno, but it's not like its an either/or situation: they easily could have done both with very little effort and their decision not to include a mimic has no real relation to their decision to give us a menu shortcut to play around with the boss character, which is all that his inclusion in the Versus menu really amounts to.

Relatively low value maybe, but better that he exist as a minor extra to mess with if you've got nothing better to do or want to, instead of not being accessible which probably would have had people complaining that resources were wasted making him only to not be able to use him. That said, Idk if I'm alone in this, but he makes for a decent time-killer against his Legendary difficulty AI in training between ranked matches, in my opinion. Seems like one of the best uses for him as it stands.

I'm more bothered by his placement on the roster in the corner, being reminded every time he doesn't belong, instead of going in the perfectly logical center circle. It's like, not only is he not useful competitively, he's also taking up valuable space on our limited character selection screen, so psychologically, it seems like a much bigger deal than it actually is. As you say, it would have been better if we had both Edge Master and Inferno, with Edge Master being in the upper left corner and usable online as a pure mimic, and Inferno being in the center as his overpowered sillyness. I don't have an issue with Inferno being playable, it's just that he is playable while Edge Master is not, and his unfortunate positioning in the character selection screen.
~cough and whisper~ ...aanaaal...~cough, cough~ :D

I almost want to say we may actually not see him, though if the alternative is Abyss, then maybe it would be one or the other. I believe if we are doing any divergence of story, it's going to be the SoulCalibur III sector. I'd say it's quite possible that we do SoulCalibur II the same, but instead of Raphael becoming a vampire after stabbing Soul Edge, becoming infected, and then relatively restored to health, he just goes straight to being the next host of Soul Edge, and so the SoulCalibur V story beats take place in the SoulCalibur III timeline instead of 17 years in the future. That could be interesting.
An interesting idea, but I feel like the nostalgia factor is too much for them to deviate from replicating the broadstrokes of SCIII and SCIV. And I always felt that the idea behind Night Terror was that he was the true form (or at least the "truest") of Soul Edge in the Astral Chaos. In other words, he doesn't take a form based on Nightmare, but rather Nightmare was always growing towards that form, which Soul Edge can more easily manifest in the Astral Chaos than the regular world. If that makes any sense? It would also explain why he's listed as part of the lore in that New Tales of Project Soul book you are so keen on quoting, even though he shouldn't otherwise exist, given the 'cannon' of the series (such as it is in the earlier games). As such, I don't think we really need the events with Zasalamel and Nightmare in SCIII to play out exactly the same in SCVII in order or Night Terror to show up in some context/capacity. But at the end of the day it has more to do with the "rule of cool" than anything lore-based: I just don't think they'll chose to pass up the opportunity to have the massive, flying Nightmare show up again.

Relatively low value maybe, but better that he exist as a minor extra to mess with if you've got nothing better to do or want to, instead of not being accessible which probably would have had people complaining that resources were wasted making him only to not be able to use him. That said, Idk if I'm alone in this, but he makes for a decent time-killer against his Legendary difficulty AI in training between ranked matches, in my opinion. Seems like one of the best uses for him as it stands.
I'll admit, I abused his overpowered moves to knock off one of those legendary time trial achievements/trophies for versus, because I have no interest in that mode otherwise, but did feel like knocking out full achievements on this game--I normally don't care about trophy scores, but I thought it would be nice to broadcast my fandom by getting full marks on this game across the platforms I play on.

Last edited:
An interesting idea, but I feel like the nostalgia factor is too much for them to deviate from replicating the broadstrokes of SCIII and SCIV.
I don't think we really need the events with Zasalamel and Nightmare in SCIII to play out exactly the same in SCVII in order or Night Terror to show up in some context/capacity.
Which they can still do. Instead of SoulCalibur III being Siegfried vs. Nightmare (random body version) again, it can be Grøh vs. Nightmare (Dumas version), giving him a moment in the spotlight that he desperately needs to be relevant. This fight can still technically produce Night Terror, if you believe in the theory that it was the clash of energy between the two swords, combined with Zasalamel's ritual to break his immortality, that brought forth Night Terror from the Astral Chaos in the first place. Night Terror would still exist, as long as the Astral Chaos exists, so it's not necessarily a mutually exclusive thing either. I just really don't think we'll see Abyss again, at the absolute least.

I always felt that the idea behind Night Terror was that he was the true form (or at least the "truest") of Soul Edge in the Astral Chaos. In other words, he doesn't take a form based on Nightmare, but rather Nightmare was always growing towards that form, which Soul Edge can more easily manifest in the Astral Chaos than the regular world.
That is, more or less, what Night Terror is, but it's a little bizarre that he's Siegfried's Nightmare instead of Cervantes's Inferno, though the original Soul Edge, seen in the flashback with Algol and his son, was Nauplis, so maybe it was the original form... SoulCalibur's story has a lot of problems, I'm sure you've never noticed (sarcasm), but having Night Terror being more well defined in the new cohesive narrative could definitely be a great thing, and maybe if Raphael gets his own unique form of Soul Edge, then it could be the sword rebelling against him to get back to its pure form that eventually helps set him free.

As far as his entry in New Legends of Project Soul, it just confirms that the Astral Chaos is his natural habitat, and what keeps him in check, more or less.

But at the end of the day it has more to do with the "rule of cool" than anything lore-based: I just don't think they'll chose to pass up the opportunity to have the massive, flying Nightmare show up again.
For sure, and if there's anything else bringing him back, this is it, though Inferno in SoulCalibur VI is already bringing cool, maybe it's just not his final form.

Cassandra getting herself ready for Evo

giphy.gif

Aaaaand just when I thought my hype level couldn't rise any more, Okubo says this in response to a question about EVO announcements:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

It's related to this post

So we're waiting till August 3rd so far?

I believe if we are doing any divergence of story, it's going to be the SoulCalibur III sector. I'd say it's quite possible that we do SoulCalibur II the same, but instead of Raphael becoming a vampire after stabbing Soul Edge, becoming infected, and then relatively restored to health, he just goes straight to being the next host of Soul Edge, and so the SoulCalibur V story beats take place in the SoulCalibur III timeline instead of 17 years in the future. That could be interesting.

I'm pretty sure this will be the future of the story myself.
They haven't got much of a reason to alter SC2, people were fond of the original game so changes like they did in SC6 would be very much sufficient, plus its less effort. I'd be surprised if SC2 was a huge divergence, I have no doubt there will be one however.
With Amy beginning activity by that game it could very well have significant differences, however I wont be surprised if the differences are purely to set up SC3 as the SC5 story. It seems very unlikely to me that Zaslamel will follow the same route in this, so I imagine the Viola scenario in some capacity will play in.

If Hwang replace Cassandra in EVO2019 Dante23 will dance a kpop song dressed as :sc3hwang1:
I'll be there to celebrate, eternally.

Back