Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

There's EVO coming at the start of August so if we get another big group reveal it'll be then.

Maybe something like 1 more June reveal tomorrow, 2 characters in July, then 4 for EVO.
Another big group reveal would be great, and that would be good timing. It all depends on how much you reveal at once, to keep audiences captivated. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

Considering the fact that Lizardman will undoubtedly be a jobber in story mode, have you guys considered he's just a CaS with Sophitia's moveset? I would be very fine with this because I never liked him anyways. The only thing that points against this is the fact that in the art Lizardman is left handed again whereas Sophitia is right handed.

I don't think every character necessarily needs an extra mechanic tacked on. Mitsurugi, Sophitia and Xianghua don't have any as far as I know. So Voldo can just have BT stance :).

All you guys are too focused on the story. This is a fighting game! The story is nothing more than a filler. And it's retold in this game.
They can do what they want with the story.

Virtua Fighter had no story mode and it fell through because of that. Besides, SC has an important story, otherwise everyone could just have regular weapons and there would be no need for soul edge/Calibur.

Yeah, the single player stuff like the story and CAS and such is at least half the appeal for probably the vast majority of buyers.

Fighting games are generally not very fun to play online if you're not decently skilled and know how to find the fighting game community since most people play the same 2-3 characters and just spam 2-3 attacks or basic combos repeatedly. And on the rare occasion you come across someone who doesn't just spam stuff and knows the game fairly well you get destroyed which isn't particularly fun either.

The story and characters and single player is where much of the fun and replayability lies, if a dev is too lazy to make single player content figuring they can just put online in and that's enough they lose much of the casual fanbase.

Considering the fact that Lizardman will undoubtedly be a jobber in story mode, have you guys considered he's just a CaS with Sophitia's moveset? I would be very fine with this because I never liked him anyways. The only thing that points against this is the fact that in the art Lizardman is left handed again whereas Sophitia is right handed.
Doubtful. His design is too iconic to the series to just throw away. I imagine he’ll gain some of Patroklos’ moves mixed in because we all know his ass is in the trash.

Expecting them to make it possible to create a Lizardman in CAS is a bit much, you can't just throw on a lizard helmet and call it a day. You need the legs changed, scales, a tail, a hunched over stance, etc. It's not like they have to invent a whole new style, they can just re-use his SCIV moveset or even combine the interesting parts of his SCIV and V versions and maybe some Pat too.

This is one of the few characters to show up in every game since his SC1 including V. He's there for variety if nothing else, you can't have a fighting game without some sort of animal or monster.

Expecting them to make it possible to create a Lizardman in CAS is a bit much, you can't just throw on a lizard helmet and call it a day. You need the legs changed, scales, a tail, a hunched over stance, etc. It's not like they have to invent a whole new style, they can just re-use his SCIV moveset and add in a couple interesting moves from his SCV version and maybe Pat too.
I'm guessing he'll inherit some of Patroklos' moves and maybe he'll have some new fire-breathing moves as his unique trait given the increased presence of fantastical elements in gameplay.

In SoulCalibur every character is supposed to have both vertical and horizontal attacks, thing is that historically spear is a very thrust centric weapon, you are not really supposed to cut with a spear. Therefore, while vertical attacks can be easily re-purposed into high/mid/low thrusts, how can you make horizontal attacks with a spear not look ridiculous? If you just allow a spear user to bash enemies with a spear from side to side, that kinda defeats the purpose of the weapon and you would be better off with a naginata or a poleaxe instead. If you make both A and B attacks into different kinds of thrusts, you'll end up with a bad underpowered character unable to deal with sidesteps. Relegating horizontal attacks to a sidearm while keeping the spear thrust attacks exclusive is the best most authentic solution in my opinion.
You think people only ever poked with spears? Is that all a spear is to you a poking stick with a pointy end? Lot's of idiotic spear users in your world. That said in game some attacks are more powerful for some charactrs than others. Spears would obviously have very strong thrusts and weaker horizontals. But only an unskilled soon to be dead moron would fight with a spear thinking their only option was to poke with it.

As for Naginata and such I have no problem with someone like Seong-Mina with spear weapon reskins. Most polearms are simply spears redesigned to enhance certain kinds of attacks.

lol I really wouldn't go as far to say iconic. I'd also rather them give Patty cake's moves to Cassandra over Lizardman, considering Pat's moveset is very athletic and dextrous.
He tends to stand out in the roster for obvious reasons, and his name "Lizardman" is a definite name that sticks. I remember being a kid and I would always remember "THE LIZARDMAN" because of how distinct he is. You can't just remove something as unique as him from the game. Also, I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to doubt Cassandra will be in the game. There's been nothing to indicate she's in, no leaks, no talking about it, nothing. Just a mention in Sophitia's profile as a relative. We know not everyone from the original games is making it in, and I fear she could be on the chopping block. Lizardman has far more proof that he's in the game, seeing as how he's shown among Nightmare, Ivy and Astaroth and well, he's as I said unique and was in SCI. We'll see.

He tends to stand out in the roster for obvious reasons, and his name "Lizardman" is a definite name that sticks. I remember being a kid and I would always remember "THE LIZARDMAN" because of how distinct he is. You can't just remove something as unique as him from the game. Also, I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to doubt Cassandra will be in the game. There's been nothing to indicate she's in, no leaks, no talking about it, nothing. Just a mention in Sophitia's profile as a relative. We know not everyone from the original games is making it in, and I fear she could be on the chopping block. Lizardman has far more proof that he's in the game, seeing as how he's shown among Nightmare, Ivy and Astaroth and well, he's as I said unique and was in SCI. We'll see.
Characters like Lizardman (and others I've spoken against here) never appealed to me, and I honestly can't see the appeal for others. He's original, I'll give you that though. They removed half of the iconic cast in SC5 haha so I wouldn't put anything past them. I'm pretty sure Verg has mentioned multiple times that she's in? I could be wrong though but I've considered here a guarantee because of that so far. Whether he has or not, I personally think that she will be in. She's another waifu they can exploit.

Characters like Lizardman (and others I've spoken against here) never appealed to me, and I honestly can't see the appeal for others. He's original, I'll give you that though. They removed half of the iconic cast in SC5 haha so I wouldn't put anything past them. I'm pretty sure Verg has mentioned multiple times that she's in? I could be wrong though but I've considered here a guarantee because of that so far. Whether he has or not, I personally think that she will be in. She's another waifu they can exploit.

Vergeben hasn't had anything concrete on her which is both good and bad I suppose. There has been no definite yes, but also no definite no to Cassandra being in the game.

Doubtful. His design is too iconic to the series to just throw away. I imagine he’ll gain some of Patroklos’ moves mixed in because we all know his ass is in the trash.

Thing is i'll found it weird if Lizzy would make it over Raphael, or even Cassandra, Mina and Yun. Heck and Setsuka too, but i don't know about her on how she's popular in the franchise, personally speaking Setsu is my second favorite female in SC universe right after Ivy.

Lizardman is awesome but he's bit less unique than most of the ones above, even tho the uniqueness will mainly depends of the devs vision for those characters.

I'm going to be so disappointed if Cassandra isn't in. She's literally one of the characters that deserves a base slot the most after the existence of V's terrible roster. She's popular, she's got a distinct and unique personality, she's got an incredibly fun style, she's historically been competitively viable, and her relationship and story with Sophitia has always been one of the best and most interesting relationships the lore of Soul Calibur has had to offer. To not put her in the story or as a playable character would be such a waste and honestly I would be devastated. She's an iconic character and was already absent in V, why can't she get the same recognition as others like Taki and Zasalamel do? She's just as legitimate as they are and screw the "they don't want to put similar styles" argument BS. They've got Nightmare and Siegfried both in already (which is a GOOD thing) and the only similarity between Cassandra and Sophitia are a few moves - in essence, their playstyles are entirely different and require extremely different methods of play in order to perform efficiently with them. There is no legitimate excuse to leave Cassandra out.
In case you couldn't tell, I really like Cassandra.

Back