Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I got curious about art of customs and saw this one...

It feels a bit out of character for her though. I'm sure I've seen more art like that that I wish could have been real probably because of my odd interest in unused character designs / interests as a sucky artist.
They probably scraped it because she looks too western wearing that. Though looking at it a bit more closely she looks like Elysium without the hat and scarf. Huh.

However Setsuka did wear something a little too mid 18th-19th century so I don't know why that got scraped.

It feels a bit out of character for her though.
So I didn't play much SC2 or SC4 and not SC3 at all, so I'm not super familiar w/ Talim. But based on her wikia entry and videos I've seen she doesn't seem to be, nor is described as, shy or insecure and doesn't seem to be part of some super conservative religion or culture that shames skin showing. Is there something I'm missing? Again, sweet, kind-hearted girls - virgins even - still show skin in real life. Lots are oblivious to it being "sexual" in nature. Is it implied or mentioned somewhere that she's anti-promiscuity?

Sincere question out of ignorance of the character, as I simply don't feel clothes always reflect one's personality or character (tho they obviously CAN).

Last edited:
I was watching the last video of Maximilian Dood , and I was thinking: is it just me or does Yoshimitsu without helmet/mask look like Ultron from Marvel Comics? Lol

That's still a badass looking by the way
Yoshi is my main and I really can't wait to put my hands on him and try every single move, most of the people I see in the videos don't do quite much combos or stances that I personally use a lot and wanna see how much of that messy-mechanical-demon ninja has changed so far
Yes!

I still like Viola better.
Me Too, Viola invented the clairvoyance
Fighting games have been doing this for decades and anyway, it's not as if a crystal ball as a weapon is anything new.
View attachment 49563
I discovered who is Amakusa because Viola. Unfortunately I never played Samurai Shodown.
Um, I like the outfit but AMY AIN’T LEGAL! At least she might have been in that time. But shame that outfit never got released for DLC.
It's a nice design, but unless they age her up several years, I think this would be a bit inappropriate. Though only a couple minor alterations would be needed to make it suitable for someone her age.
Fortune Teller Mannequin in a Window, Mcarthur Boulevard.png
I'm not sure, but I think adding a few elements of Amy in Kyla's fantasy would give her a great alternative outfit.
C7bmwbtVsAA2BJX.jpg
I'll try to convince my cousin draw something based on these dresses for Amy.

So I didn't play much SC2 or SC4 and not SC3 at all, so I'm not super familiar w/ Talim. But based on her wikia entry and videos I've seen she doesn't seem to be, nor is described as, shy or insecure and doesn't seem to be part of some super conservative religion or culture that shames skin showing. Is there something I'm missing? Again, sweet, kind-hearted girls - virgins even - still show skin in real life. Lots are oblivious to it being "sexual" in nature. Is it implied or mentioned somewhere that she's anti-promiscuity?

Sincere question out of ignorance of the character, as I simply don't feel clothes always reflect one's personality or character (tho they obviously CAN).
For real people, sure, the way one dresses doesn't always reflect their personality. But for fictional characters, if their personalities don't match their designs, there can be a bit of a disconnect. For example, if Ivy and Xianghua switched personalities, but their designs stayed the same, it'd sure look a bit ridiculous, wouldn't it?
Overly showy outfits just wouldn't suit Talim at all, which is part of the reason why a lot of people hated her see-through pants and visible underwear in SC4. And, of course, she's only 15. Sex appeal shouldn't really be on the table when designing a character that age.

Also, I have to ask, is there something wrong with her not showing skin? Does every woman on the roster need a revealing design?

For real people, sure, the way one dresses doesn't always reflect their personality. But for fictional characters, if their personalities don't match their designs, there can be a bit of a disconnect. For example, if Ivy and Xianghua switched personalities, but their designs stayed the same, it'd sure look a bit ridiculous, wouldn't it?
Overly showy outfits just wouldn't suit Talim at all, which is part of the reason why a lot of people hated her see-through pants and visible underwear in SC4. And, of course, she's only 15. Sex appeal shouldn't really be on the table when designing a character that age.

Also, I have to ask, is there something wrong with her not showing skin? Does every woman on the roster need a revealing design?
Well, no outfit of hers I've seen screams "sexual" or "promiscuous" to me. Those concepts aren't mutually dependent on showing skin.

But I get your point. I just don't think anything of hers is all that bad. And the fact she's doesn't have large breasts I think is the real tell that she's not really being sexualized in design.

Well, no outfit of hers I've seen screams "sexual" or "promiscuous" to me. Those concepts aren't mutually dependent on showing skin.

But I get your point. I just don't think anything of hers is all that bad. And the fact she's doesn't have large breasts I think is the real tell that she's not really being sexualized in design.
Right, I meant to mention that. I don't think any of her past designs, with the exception of SC4, have been too inappropriate for her, so I hope that doesn't change. But SC4 gives me reason enough to be a bit concerned about what direction Project Soul might take her design.

I wouldn't be shocked if Amy return in Soul Calibur VI using something like this :sc5vio1:
View attachment 49562
If we're talking middle grounds, something like that would probably be best to bridge the gap between Amy and Viola to where it would come across similar, but different.

I wouldn't expect anything more than an online multiplayer stress test for a beta.
My realistic expectations are bare minimum. But to Bandai Namco's credit, games with character creation is something they always include as something you get to make use of in those betas for games that have had it, if that means anything.
If they know they're selling the game to both crowds (which they do) then it'd be smart to have the beta include one of their biggest selling points you can play around with.

Well, you can't trademark the use of an orb as a weapon. That's like saying any samurai swordsman with a Katana is a Mitsurugi ripoff.
But Mitsurugi is a ripoff of Samurai Shodown's Haohmaru tho Kappa

It just doesn’t feel right for Talim to be provocative. Not saying she needs a burka but it feels out of character. Sonya’s MK9 design really didn’t suit her for example, being the straight laced army woman she is and her revealing outfits just looked like gym clothes.

If Talim wore revealing outfits, then they just seemed like typical summer clothes maybe a little bit into a dress code violation.

Talim arguably seems like the equivalent to Nakoruru if you think about it if Mitsurugi is Haohmaru.

Also think something like this could work for Tira.
1529644152567.jpeg

I do think the kitty girl suit, while cute and could be dlc, would be less cool for a Talim 2p outfit than her SC2 and SC3 2p outfits.

I really liked her red, white, and pink 2p from SC2.

Talim's voice actress is known for her baby Lolita style dresses. Maybe she could borrow that look. I dunno. I prefer Talim looking sporty and tomboyish.

Please no Kitty Outfit. I agree 100%, the previous iterations were A LOT better. I actually think some of the talim hate comes from the fact that she just wasn't that well designed visually and from a sound design point of view which turned off a lot of people that either didn't play her much before then or were introduced to her for the first time.

Since we are talking about Talim's clothing in each game in order from most liked to least is SCII 2P, SCII 1P, SCIII 1P, SCIII 2P, SCIV 2P, SCII 3P and SCIV 1P. I was always a big fan of her second outfit because before I played SCII I played a demo of T5 and she looked like Ling Xiaoyu (love ya Ling, but Tekken just isn't for me.)

Her 1P is a second favorite of mine since it is iconic. Her outfits in SCIII are good too. Though her 1P I felt was a good improvement for her age. It had the right amount to have her covered up yet not to the point to strict modest levels. It still looked like something she can move freely in.

To SCIV... They weren't my favorites. Especially that stupid 1P. I only saw it being ugly as fuck and I don't know what they were thinking. Especially those see through pants. I choose her 2P since it was more of an improvement than her default choice. Still didn't like that she was blonde. I probably know why they did it but still.

For her bonus outfit in SCII is a pass for me.

I straight up just did not like her SCIV outfits at all. The 1P was okay design wise but I just think whoever designed the character visually for the game just dropped the ball for it to the point that I don't think any customs I made on her really felt good either. Her kitty outfit as well just felt out of place and honestly more of a missed opportunity to do something cool and interesting with her design. For me 2 and 3 1Ps were my favourites. The other thing however is her VA. I'm really hoping she would sound more like her SCII version instead of the later iterations.

I like Talim's design the best in SCII because it was simple but it was also the closest it's ever been to looking "ethnically Filipino". Her costumes in SCIII and SCIV were bordering on Arabian Nights Lite with her IV iteration being the most overdesigned, over-the-top thing she'd ever worn (the translucent pants...never again). If they took her SCII design and veered it towards more of the traditional Visayan clothing native to the region of the Philippines she's from, then that would definitely elevate her aesthetic.

Yes, I agree her SC4 1P outfit is too busy and over designed.

Would love to see more of her original outfits in the game.

What outfits would you all like to see your mains in?

Please no Kitty Outfit. I agree 100%, the previous iterations were A LOT better. I actually think some of the talim hate comes from the fact that she just wasn't that well designed visually and from a sound design point of view which turned off a lot of people that either didn't play her much before then or were introduced to her for the first time.

I straight up just did not like her SCIV outfits at all. The 1P was okay design wise but I just think whoever designed the character visually for the game just dropped the ball for it to the point that I don't think any customs I made on her really felt good either. Her kitty outfit as well just felt out of place and honestly more of a missed opportunity to do something cool and interesting with her design. For me 2 and 3 1Ps were my favourites. The other thing however is her VA. I'm really hoping she would sound more like her SCII version instead of the later iterations.
I think the whole see through pants thing is because Filipinos wear see through- shirts.

Not pants as far as I am aware of. May have to look it up. Also the blonde hair choice has to do with how some Filipinos have blonde hair...which is nice but meh.

A thing I want to point out that another reason she is hated is because of her place in low tier. I did speak with a Talim player and he said that her two weaknesses are her range and normal hit damage. However he said she can be improved with her frames being fixed with the addition of her stances needing some work.

Seeing how some characters like Zasalamel and Kilik have more of their powers being implemented in-game I personally think she could finally show off her wind powers and probably move faster like Taki.

Didn't ask what he thinks about this. He also told me that seeing how SCVI has some new mechanics in the game he was certain that the chance she does make it in she will play differently from before. Though she might have a hard time being Top tier. I can only hope she is decent.

Back