Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Given all the reluctance some hundred pages ago to acknowledge the possibility of Mina or even my proposed character list, I’m a little off-Guard now how ready some of you are to accepting the possibility of Hwang and Rock returning to the game.

Anyway, I’m still unclear how Lizardman/Aeon will fit in this. If he doesn’t get a story mode (obvious) but still playable, does that mean that SC6 has three bosses and Aeon is one of those? Or will he be a CAS preset for Lizardman models. (One wonders then could we get Astaroth’s body type as a preset?)

Reactions: Pac
It's pretty simple @Windstar

1. SoulCalibur V conditioned us to believe that Koreans could likely not return.

2. Vergeben's source likely said no Seong Mi-na, which corroborated that idea.

3. Seong Mi-na is a shocking reveal that no one expected.

4. With Seong Mi-na confirmed, Hwang seems just as likely to be confirmed.

5. Rock still has hardly any chance at all, except maybe as a reskinned Astaroth.

6. Lizardman is still likely to be in with a story, with no reason to believe otherwise yet.

But to defend Lizzy:

1. Has a bigger sword than Sophitia’s.
  2. Not likely to twirl or do any dainty movements.
  3. Still appeared in SCV despite getting a new set of moves.
Rock still made it over Hwang but likely because he could get a different weapon from Astaroth. Sophitia, Mi-Na (who had a different weapon from Kilik to begin with), and Lizzy (despite being a generic and getting another weapon in III) were console exclusives for II at the very least and appeared in Lost Swords.

Here's the Japanese version of the Astaroth & Seong Mi-na trailer, if you want to hear/compare what the character's Japanese voices sound like:
Ryūzaburō Ōtomo returned, Mi-Na had a change in the dubbing, now it's Chinatsu Akasaki, formerly Sanae Kobayashi.
Rock still made it over Hwang but likely because he could get a different weapon from Astaroth.
this is from Astaroth's profile:
-As a matter of fact Astaroth 's fighting strategy is a copy of the fight of the "white giant" that Ares of War God had observed, so to speak as a copied technique. However, for the moment he does not seem to care that there is no originality.-
If Astaroth was made recent and based on the Rock moves, so we assumes that Rock still uses his old ax ...

Last edited:
I like that Dante and LisaK have that "Bitch, did you really just say that?" Mina face as their avatars so their posts have that little extra something when they're sassy replies like the one above.

Also for anyone who wants it:
1533599931555.png

It's pretty simple @Windstar

1. SoulCalibur V conditioned us to believe that Koreans could likely not return.

2. Vergeben's source likely said no Seong Mi-na, which corroborated that idea.

3. Seong Mi-na is a shocking reveal that no one expected.

4. With Seong Mi-na confirmed, Hwang seems just as likely to be confirmed.

Vergeben sources didn't know about every character at the time of the leak. I had a feeling Seong Mi-na might be in SCVI because of the ESRB Rating saying Spears, Pistols, & Axes. Astaroth & Cervantes are very obvious because they appeared in so many SCVI art illustrations.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35637&Title=SOULCALIBUR+VI

I know he’s known as the White Giant. And it’s harder to argue with them when they have Best Girl as their avvies.

And is it me or does the main art tend to make the characters look like they have chubby faces yet they look mature and serious in the story mode art?

I kind of wish I had an art style like the story mode art...

I like that Dante and LisaK have that "Bitch, did you really just say that?" Mina face as their avatars so their posts have that little extra something when they're sassy replies like the one above.

Also for anyone who wants it:View attachment 50153

Meh, might as well.

EDIT: With the new profiles up on the Soul Archive, I can pretty much tell you, that Hwang is STRONGLY hinted at in Mina's profile.

Last edited:
Was there any twitter messages regarding Astaroth and Seong-Mina specific mechanics ?

I'm guessing one has a lot of built in super armor. Seong Mina's tip range sweet spot back in SC4 felt more like every-other-range sour spot.

Meh, might as well.

EDIT: With the new profiles up on the Soul Archive, I can pretty much tell you, that Hwang is STRONGLY hinted at in Mina's profile.
"STRONGLY" is a really strong word or it just slipped me through. It just says she is a warrior that stole the family weapon and ran away. (lol like Cassandra in SC3)

"STRONGLY" is a really strong word or it just slipped me through. It just says she is a warrior that stole the family weapon and ran away. (lol like Cassandra in SC3)
Her updated bio on the Soul Archive mentions a student of Han-myeong who recently returned from the coast guard heading out to bring Mi-na back home... that's pretty clearly referring to Hwang.

There was this taken from a director interview:

Good

Astaroth getting even more grab range can be pretty scary.
I am 100% against a regular human like Mitsurugi getting revenge-style properties in their moves, because one reason is it diminishes the coolness when a brute like Astaroth has it.

If i'm reading that right, it is interesting that Seong Mina retains her SC4 crown as a guard-gauge smasher queen?

I think this isn't a good design because her fighting style should be more technique/athletic and her weapon is more for slicing (i'm thinking that naginata wielder like in For honor) rather than smashing through an opponent via brute force like a Guandao. I always thought her pole arm would strongly suggest her moveset be granted effective poking lows, rather than trying to beat a turtler with guard-busting attacks.

O well, after reading the articles she is supposed to be a power character as well. I pictured her as a tomboy (but, shes the 2nd most scantily dressed character), but not like some jacked amazon. Also, her weapon doesn't seem exaggerated like other power characters (Astaroths' giant axe or sieg's giant zweihander)

Looks like tip range sweet spots will not only have increased damage, but diff properties. This seems more like code for "her attacks will be underwhelmingly shitty at close/mid ranges). I hope they do her justice

Last edited:
Fine. I don't expect this to change any minds, but I'll try to explain why Hwang is cool.

He's an example of the soldier archetype. etc etc
You basically described Geralt. In fact the "fast efficient strikes with no wasted movement" are exactly how Witcher developers described his fighting style. The only difference is Geralt is a witcher not a soldier. So do we really need him if his essence is embodied by Geralt

Last edited:
You basically described Geralt. In fact the "fast efficient strikes with no wasted movement" are exactly how Witcher developers described his fighting style. The only difference is Geralt isva witcher notba soldier. So do we really need him if his essence is embodied by Geralt

And Geralt also has a, if somewhat subdued but still present and somewhat funny, personality lol.

Back