Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So? I see little overlap here. The kinds of people who care about CoD or Battlefield are not this game's target audience.

I mean, I generally am interested in all 3 of those games, but I've been waiting on SCVI for ages (well... Red Dead II I've been waiting on for longer, but GTAV scratched a similar itch).

Plus I was bored by the Black Ops 4 beta and half of Battlefield 5's features are on a roadmap, so that helped lessen the quandary. Red Dead II looks great, but I can wait a little bit to enjoy it.

Still beyond my personal interests, I can see that SoulCalibur VI has a tiny window of widespread media coverage before it gets left in the wake of every press outlet creaming themselves over Rockstar's latest game. I imagine fighting game websites will cover it for a while longer, but that lacks the outreach to super casual potential buyers (do not doubt their numbers). The game risks being swiftly forgotten from the public mind.

Fortunately, season pass characters and tournaments should stir up interest later down the line, and hopefully the game has legs. My big worry is that legs come from continued support, and continued support comes from games that are financially sound up-front.

Does anyone know which version of the statue from the collector's edition I will be receiving? Will it be the colorful one or the silver one? I live in the US if that helps.

I so
so...

here's a thing

-COD black ops 4
-Battlefield V
-Red Dead Redemption 2

these are games that come within the same time frame as SC6
starts to dig hole

I don’t get it, yes they’re big games but the target audience is different.
SC6 offers a completely different experience, if anything a game like fortnite should be worried as their next season starts at the end of September.

Not to mention the first year is the most important, the games longevity will depend on its mechanics which seem to be really strong.
And we still don’t know who the other DLC characters are.

It’s only competitive distraction is Tekken season 2.
Releasing characters players have been Bitching about since launch are being dished out so close to SC6 release when really it should of waited.

In all honesty a December release would have been stupid with smash being released around the same time.

Like I’ve said before it’s up to us.
Local tournaments, national ones, streamers, youtubers even local gaming events (there a loads of gaming bars/pubs in London)
If we mobilise we can get it done.
Either way it’s looks like it’s going to be a good game, so it’ll do fine based on that alone.

unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth for streaming.

I'm just really getting anxiety about SC6, it feels like it's gonna be a great game that sells awfully... idk, i see the writing on the wall and i can't help but feel bamco is trying to ruin SC by releasing in october, the fuck are they thinking?
pls soulcalibur... don't die...

Not to worry! Just playing the game in general helps. I don't think the sales will that bad to be honest. It's not going to be like groundbreaking or anything like a AAA title, but I have a good amount of faith in SCVI. Even if it is a niche market, I don't think it will do any worse than any other fighters on the market except for maybe smash because Nintendo.

Sometimes it's good to release in a big year for releases. You get associated with other big titles and roll with their word of mouth too.

Yeah, I definitely agree. When people talk they kind of touch on everything that's buzzing at the time.

so...

here's a thing

-COD black ops 4
-Battlefield V
-Red Dead Redemption 2

these are games that come within the same time frame as SC6
starts to dig hole

I can't care less about COD and BFV, meanwhile RDR2 is gonna be soooooooo NEEEEEAT, to say the least.

SC6 and RDR2, can't remember when's the last time 2 games with that level were out one week after another.

The sales from V continued steadily for another year after release. A game that was seen as unfinished.

I remember in their earnings review it sold more than tag 2 and surprised everyone.

Sometimes it's good to release in a big year for releases. You get associated with other big titles and roll with their word of mouth too.

Didn't think about this sort of effect, i hope you're right !
And i hope the few youtubers won't kill this franchise just to get some views, it would be very selfish of them.
Among my steam friends just 2 on 70 wishlisted it, others really don't seem to care, i hope it's because they want to play it on console !!!

And i don't think either franchise can survive just on hardcore fans. I'm a casual and game need the millions of casual players, if only to convince shareholders that it is profitable...

Edit: forget this. This is a bad example lol!!!
I am looking forward to the possibility that SC6 will have a long lifespan as a game and can keep having content added on. I feel like that first stood out to me when I saw it with Street Fighter IV; there always seemed to be improvements or extra content being added on to that game.
I would love to see Bamco give SC6 long-term love and attention in a similar manner.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the possibility that SC6 will have a long lifespan as a game and can keep having content added on. I feel like that first stood out to me when I saw it with Street Fighter IV; there always seemed to be improvements or extra content being added on to that game.
I would love to see Bamco give SC6 long-term love and attention in a similar manner.

I would very much not like to see Bamco adopting Capcom's business model, that's way past keeping a game alive and more into milking the franchise-territory. I'm all for extending the game with DLC, but let's not release new incompatible versions of the base game with minor enhancements. Unlike the Tira situation I find that to be wholly anti-consumer and I don't think Soul Calibur could survive the fracturing of the playerbase that business model brings.

I would very much not like to see Bamco adopting Capcom's business model, that's way past keeping a game alive and more into milking the franchise-territory. I'm all for extending the game with DLC, but let's not release new incompatible versions of the base game with minor enhancements. Unlike the Tira situation I find that to be wholly anti-consumer and I don't think Soul Calibur could survive the fracturing of the playerbase that business model brings.

I personally think the way Capcom has handled SFV after the first year was pretty good (which is the whole reason that got me in there, to start with). Seeing Namco is open to give Harada a full year of dev time for Tekken 7, I do honestly hope they give SC6 the same treatment.

I mean, I understand not many people are fond of paying extra money post release, but as long as the content is being developed after the game's launch it's the best option. Otherwise the alternative is to get a 2-4 patches, call it a day and see you again in 3 years (in the best case scenario).

I can understand people being afraid from SFV business model when looking it from the outside, but honestly this is the best model for any fighting game imo, the game's business has more pros than cons. Yes it keep adding costumes, and they even cost quite high (4 bucks each). But really, who cares? you won't need all costumes to play, and will definitely not like all of them, as already aren't playing all the characters. While the game keep having support for YEARS, and without mentioning that there are a lot of alt costumes to unlock since launch,and now they still adding more costumes monthly.

Meanwhile the game still add a lot of stuffs for free, game modes, new gameplay mechanics and cie. Even Harada started to realise the benifices of this and did the same with T7. (Gameplay update for free + DLC season pass). And when you go online in SFV and meet all the players with new costumes they added the game you feel some freshness in this game, nothing mindblowing but quite cool..

It's all about value in the end of the day, is it really that big of a deal to buy a costumes for 4 bucks for characters that you literally spent months playing with? People complain about this while they buy FIFA, COD and BF each years? LOL really weird tbh.

Injustice 2 did things the right way imo. That season pass was completely worth it.
Hell yeah, you may not get Darkseid with it but yeah well worth it. They also kept the game updated with gear that wasn't involved with SP. Street fighter v method was ok, option of getting the characters free wish you can do the same with costumes. Best game with "dlc" content is overwatch. Characters, levels and costumes are free and nothing but support for years with events swapping out etc. Like how are they making money.

So? I see little overlap here. The kinds of people who care about CoD or Battlefield are not this game's target audience.
The "target audience" is the reason we haven't gotten a new SC in 6 years.

The "target audience" is what made SFV underperform and MvCI bomb.

The "target audience" isn't enough to support the game. If you think Bamco only wants the 1.5-ish million ppl that bought SCV to get SCVI and no more, then you don't understand business. Three titan launches in a row can and possibly will kill this game.

Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 bombed because it launched the same day as Modern Warfare 2. Doesn't matter that the "target audience" didn't overlap, MW2 was too massively hyped to not absorb sales from across the genre.

Hell yeah, you may not get Darkseid with it but yeah well worth it. They also kept the game updated with gear that wasn't involved with SP. Street fighter v method was ok, option of getting the characters free wish you can do the same with costumes. Best game with "dlc" content is overwatch. Characters, levels and costumes are free and nothing but support for years with events swapping out etc. Like how are they making money.
Massive install base, consistently growing sales, very slow production timeline, and no freedom to choose the costume you want, effectively forcing you to pay real money for them.

The first two are nigh impossible for fighters, and the latter two would be received very poorly.

For those who still have not preordered the game (PC)... you don't want to miss this opportunity:

Also take a look at this which was posted on reddit by:

PM_ME_DRAGON_BUTTS
If you are in Europe you can order the game from voidu for ~40€, and the Deluxe edition for 61.25€ right now with the coupon code "SUMMER18"
This seems to be the cheapest you can get the game so far. Yes, I have ordered from voidu before, and they are legit.

That convinced me to order an extra copy for this game just in case. It's a great deal.

Last edited:
Remember the good ol' days when fighting games were tested in the arcades years before console release? When the complete game was released at launch?

Those days are long gone. I just want a full roster and well polished game. In the end I don't care that characters are demoted to DLC, we should be happy that we are getting them at all. Better that then scv disaster all over again

I think the best business model ever is the Overwatch one. Every map and character for FREE. Lot and DLC cometics (tho you can still get cosmetics by just playing)

Back