Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Tbh, no month is really for one game, I reckon SC will be fine. I am a bit torn with worry though that's probs just me being paranoid.

Popping in to chime in about the release date thing for a moment.
September would pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot.
Dragon Quest XI, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Shadow of the Tomb Raider are all confirmed as September releases, while I heard Sma5h is "incredibly likely" to launch in September along with Switch's online service.

September's already overwhelming as is with a line up such as that. Adding SCVI to the mix wouldn't exactly be the greatest idea at all.
Even if it is a fighting game, that's stiff competition from a consumer standpoint as is since gamers typically have varied interests.
If you want to count Smash as a fighting game, you do NOT want SCVI competing against a powerhouse like that in the same month.
Especially since both will be garnering casual interest in their different ways. But Smash is the king of casual interest for what it does.

I think Bandai Namco is being extra cautious and feeling things out to see how things are looking for the later half of the year by other developers and publishers so that they can pick an advantageous period to release it in. Nintendo still hasn't even revealed and laid out their second half of 2018 release schedule, and that will be something they also keep in mind because as far as I've heard and the latest update on things like Fire Emblem 16, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing for Switch are all coming out around the end of the year. The latter two sell like crazy as well, while Fire Emblem has been getting bigger and bigger in the west.

Then you consider the big AAA western game releases for the end of the year and you just have to realize they're going to have to be very careful with how they go about this. Soul Calibur does have casual appeal. And honestly, the more that it does, the better it will fare when throwing themselves to the wolves so to speak with a late 2018 release like I've heard they've been aiming for.
Any time before that like August is putting out a product that will be rushed and thus keeping the series in this statis loop of the product on release being a disappointment and incomplete feeling (or outright being).
It may not be a terrible idea to aim for an early 2019 like January.
But I think December could work best given it's the series' anniversary month and all.
Plus December typically only has like one big release more often than not nowadays, as most publishers try getting their stuff off before Black Friday. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the big December game last year for instance.
It is worth thinking about that Soul Edge/Blade came out in North America in January 1997, so they have that connection to fall back on too.

To make this longer than I imagined it would be post short:
Bandai Namco needs to strategize things to their advantage, not their disadvantage with this game.
Look at what else is coming out, what months are bloated, and what seems like the perfect time to not put releasing it and it succeeding in jeopardy since the competition is there at the end of the year.
So they have to put something out that fans will feel is WORTH getting over another game, and games that will be big, hotly anticipated games at that.
But for the love of Ivy's beautiful butt floss, they do not release this game sooner than they need, or against way too stiff competition.

Yes I know I talked about Ivy's butt floss and used the word stiff in the same sentence.
The point still stands.

Erectly.

Last edited:
Not to mention KH3 also...
Popping in to chime in about the release date thing for a moment.
September would pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot.
Dragon Quest XI, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Shadow of the Tomb Raider are all confirmed as September releases, while I heard Sma5h is "incredibly likely" to launch in September along with Switch's online service.

September's already overwhelming as is with a line up such as that. Adding SCVI to the mix wouldn't exactly be the greatest idea at all.
Even if it is a fighting game, that's stiff competition from a consumer standpoint as is since gamers typically have varied interests.
If you want to count Smash as a fighting game, you do NOT want SCVI competing against a powerhouse like that in the same month.
Especially since both will be garnering casual interest in their different ways. But Smash is the king of casual interest for what it does.

I think Bandai Namco is being extra cautious and feeling things out to see how things are looking for the later half of the year by other developers and publishers so that they can pick an advantageous period to release it in. Nintendo still hasn't even revealed and laid out their second half of 2018 release schedule, and that will be something they also keep in mind because as far as I've heard and the latest update on things like Fire Emblem 16, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing for Switch are all coming out around the end of the year. The latter two sell like crazy as well, while Fire Emblem has been getting bigger and bigger in the west.

Then you consider the big AAA western game releases for the end of the year and you just have to realize they're going to have to be very careful with how they go about this. Soul Calibur does have casual appeal. And honestly, the more that it does, the better it will fare when throwing themselves to the wolves so to speak with a late 2018 release like I've heard they've been aiming for.
Any time before that like August is putting out a product that will be rushed and thus keeping the series in this statis loop of the product on release being a disappointment and incomplete feeling (or outright being).
It may not be a terrible idea to aim for an early 2019 like January.
But I think December could work best given it's the series' anniversary month and all.
Plus December typically only has like one big release more often than not nowadays, as most publishers try getting their stuff off before Black Friday. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the big December game last year for instance.
It is worth thinking about that Soul Edge/Blade came out in North America in January 1997, so they have that connection to fall back on too.

To make this longer than I imagined it would be post short:
Bandai Namco needs to strategize things to their advantage, not their disadvantage with this game.
Look at what else is coming out, what months are bloated, and what seems like the perfect time to not put releasing it and it succeeding in jeopardy since the competition is there at the end of the year.
So they have to put something out that fans will feel is WORTH getting over another game, and games that will be big, hotly anticipated games at that.
But for the love of Ivy's beautiful butt floss, they do not release this game sooner than they need, or against way too stiff competition.

Yes I know I talked about Ivy's butt floss and used the word stiff in the same sentence.
The point still stands.

Erectly.

It makes the most sense for it to be a December release day. I am hoping they do a demo or at least a short beta to get a feel of the game before it releases. It would not hurt and would give us a chance to play it beforehand. Honestly if it ends up getting delayed to 2019, I am alright with that as long as we get a good end product.

Not to mention KH3 also...
I remembered that and came back here to mention I somehow forgot that there's that megaseller that's supposed to be out by the end of the year too. Which you know will wind up being a Q4 release too.
Square Enix will space the release between it and Dragon Quest XI out, like how Square Enix is doing with Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI (OP in July, DQXI in September), as to not cannibalize sales via gamers' time they can dedicate to each game so to speak due to being RPGs.
I haven't heard anything about Kingdom Hearts III's release date yet, but that solidly seems like an October or November game. I imagine it'll wind up coming out in November like FFXV did.
So yes. KH3 is yet another huge game around the Fall to end of the year time period release window too.
At the moment, October and December seem "safest" to release in. But that's still going on assumption on their part and my own due to things not all being dated this year and stuff still left to be revealed, dated, and released this year by Nintendo as said before.
I would hope they go with December since there's the sentimentality to the month and history of the series there.

Better to be released around a later date than to buy an incomplete game.
Yeah but this would be different, since the discussion is when they would release, based on another games launchs, not if the game is complete or not, perhaps the game is way more forward than we expect and they are hiding info, we dont know for sure.

Back