Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

*Neat observation about the stage.*

Maybe E3 scared them and they wanted to reveal them in a more sober moment, without the oversaturation of E3.

:D Yes, something positive!
I wondered the exact same thing; are they possibly waiting for a different time to drop some stuff like this?

You guys have to realize, that certain things are going to get cut in sequels - story cuts or otherwise. As long as you continue to want things like CAS, guest characters, netplay, and developed story modes, that's price you pay. You want your favorite character(s) in the game and in every game? Then either vote for them in popularity polls, or stop wanting tons of extra features like CAS, Team Battle, Guest Characters and huge 20 to 40-hour story modes. At best, you could probably cut half of those features out and maybe pick up a few extra characters, but I guarantee you, you won't get everything you want.
I can't say I fully agree with this. The roster isn't all that makes the game, it's also the modes and extras. What you consider an extra, like CAS, other people consider a series staple. There's a reason why Okubo mentioned CAS as soon as the game was revealed. If SCV and even Streetfight V and Tekken 7 indicated anything, is that people want enough modes to make the $60 game they bought feel complete. Even at the time SCIII was released, it had plenty of content for it's time. I don't see why anyone can't hold SC6 to a high standard. SoulCalibur is multi-million dollar series operated by a major company, not some random indie title

from BandaiNamcoUS
REMINDER: We have a special #SOULCALIBURVI livesteam with @maximilian_ today at 4pm PST! Join us as we clash swords and look at breakdowns featuring your favorite characters!
DfvxVCyVMAAmaRx.jpg

You Ready?

Last edited:
This thread has become so negative! Just complaint after complaint. Constructive criticism that could make the game better
"Constructive criticism" have one big problem - making of new game content requires money and time.
three ways to solve the problem:
-replace old characters with new ones
unfortunately, most fans perceive the words "remove" or "replace" as an attempt to rob
To all who want confirmation, I recommend to remember what happened at the outputs of SC5. Fans of heroes, who were not reprinted, shouted in a terrible voice "We were robbed!". That instead of old heroes were released new, they did not care at all
An alternative way - to read as I suggested to replace the Yoshi, my interlocutors just turned insane at the words "replace"
-The second way is to release new content in addition to the old.
Unfortunately, the laws of economics are inexorable - it takes time and money. in most cases this is done in the form of a DLC.
The most famous example is the Street Fighter 5, which is still doing DLC.
Unfortunately, many players negatively perceive the DLC, as attempts by authors to milk players
-The third way is not to make a new content
An example of the new "Star Wars", "Prometheus" and "Blade Runner" showed that the old fans are happy to eat any hackwork, which even little smells a great original.

CaS became a big thing for the series once it left the arcades. Weapons are one thing, but it’s become a part of the series’ identity. It’s a shame that IV dialed back on the single player experiences.

Now it seems like the NRS fighters are the main single player experiences among fighters. That’s on top of the gimmicks of Fatalities and DC superheroes.

Games have this tendency to remove things that made them "unique"... Dynasty Warriors tried to change, twice. And it ended up in a catastrophy. Twice.

Devs should know that, even though we like novelty, we also like things that attracted us in the first place. Removing things that made Soulcalibur what it was isn't the best way to achieve that aspect of renewal devs feel like we look forward to. One day they will realize we like our old games, we like to see additions without losing parts (again, Dynasty Warriors which removed signature weapons only to add them later as DLC, or Final Fantasy turning away from the beloved turn-based battle). We don't need brand new features, just something different along with our good ol' stuff.

As I said many many times before, I prefer an ugly-for-the-period game with plenty of stuff to do (San Andreas, for example) to a magnificent yet extremely short game (FFXIII, for example). I don't care about my character's hair or pixels in SCVI, I don't care if the arena isn't detailed, I don't care if Taki's boobies are smooth without angles. I just want to have the fighters that make the game that iconic, with modes I can spend time in.

Last edited:
Another thing that's great which at the beginning i didn't know how was going to be there approach towards the story time line. sc6 will revisit the events of the first Soul calibur to "uncover hidden truths" of the different courses and events that transpired between sc1 and sc2 so a lot of ways they can keep characters in with out necessarily cutting them out whether through story progression or through playing their time line events.
also i don't know where exactly but i read and believe heard that were getting another (guest character via DLC) besides Gerald, so the roster will be at best decent within time if not by release. it shows there going to support it which is a great thing so fan service will be provided in one way or another.

I'd love to see a detailed article or presentation on the development of the game. I'm really curious what happened around the time when the project was close to being shut down if it weren't for Okubo stepping up. As Norik suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if the project was essentially restarted at one point (with the Natsu/Nightmare/Kilik/Sophitia concept art being real concepts for an earlier version). If that's the case, the actual development time on this version of the game might not be much at all.

I'd love to see a detailed article or presentation on the development of the game. I'm really curious what happened around the time when the project was close to being shut down if it weren't for Okubo stepping up. As Norik suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if the project was essentially restarted at one point (with the Natsu/Nightmare/Kilik/Sophitia concept art being real concepts for an earlier version). If that's the case, the actual development time on this version of the game might not be much at all.
I agree with all this.
I think it would make a really fascinating case study to know the details of this game, and what sorts of stuff went down regarding its development.
Oh, how I wish I could be a fly on the wall in Project Soul's workplace!

For the blurred story name predictions, could it be that they put Lizardman's name on there as Aeon?

It would be funny if all of that is an intentional red herring.

SCVI definitely needs to resurrect the series. As many have said, we're lucky to have an SCVI and after the way SCV was received I was sure that was it for the series (especially since SCIV wasn't as popular either). If feel like if SCVI tanks then the series really will die.

But it's already looking miles ahead in terms of the story and effort and presentation. They just need to keep that up and add more stages and characters and the game should do far better than IV and V.

Good point with the Aeon thing. I actually think it'd be really cool if Aeon's 2P was him in human form before he was malfested. Actually exploring that in his story could be really cool and finally make him feel worth a slot since, as he is right now, I don't care for him at all and am kinda mad he took precedence over Raph and others.

I really hope Raph is the next reveal just to put everyone's concerns to rest. Maybe if they've seen the way the forums exploded over that, they'll go ahead and drop him just to put us at ease (like how Zas was changed to base-game instead of DLC based on people's desire to have him in).

Does anyone know if the tournament was uploaded to youtube? I had major buffering issues when it was live so I had to quit :( Can't seem to find it right now.

This x1000. Thanks to Vergeben we already know realtime stance/weapon switching was a mechanic that held them up that they had to scrap, which coincides with the Passion Republic art way too well. I'd love to know some insider info. I wouldn't put that 70% complete number we got during announcement to have been mainly recycled assets/programming after an alleged restart, especially given how currently stages lack in number and are much more vague in their themes.

EDIT:
natsupassionrepublic1-jpg.46655

Someone tell me with a straight face Natsu #2 and #3 aren't repurposed for Groh.

Once Cassandra is announced I can chill. She was 7th in one poll and 12th in another. I feel her addition is almost gaurunteed (especially with Sophi lacking Cass' A+B)
There were some very good points made about fighting game development made by Windstar earlier and for those reasons Ill take characters over modes anyday. As much as I enjoyed survival in SCII when I was younger, I play SC for the competition, characters and the mechanics. And its these things that are the life blood of any fighting game.

We gotta remember that FGs dont sell nearly as much as other genres so the quality of what we're getting already, with that in mind, is amazing.
SCVI is looking like it could be a potential MASTAPIECE~

Dunno if this has been done yet or not, but I connected the dots and I suppose that means those are fights vs the connected characters or... teams?View attachment 49426

I'd say switch Talim and Voldo I'd say. I think it'd make for sense if Voldo started with Nightmare faking out for Vercci then Voldo trying to stop anybody good from destroying the swords.

Someone tell me with a straight face Natsu #2 and #3 aren't repurposed for Groh.
the reasons is simple
First is Krizalid, very infamous SNK BOSS WITH INFINITES(TM)
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters2/krizalid.html
krizalid-purple.jpg

Second is Sin Kiske from Guilty GeaR, shameless borrowed from Krizalid and very popular among schoolboys
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters5/sin-kiske.html

sin-kiske-ggxrd-character-artwork.png
His face, voice and fighting style is very similar to GROH, except - GROH is much more sadistic

This is on ESRB's site. Welp...
20180615_151501.png

EDIT: Apparently this label might be referring to the game's DLC rather than something like lootboxes. Sorry if this seemed like fearmongering, I just don't want the worst-case scenario to happen.
EDIT 2: First picture was way too big. Thanks, phone.

Last edited:
Back