Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Does anyone else think that the new GI system is dumb? Im happy that they don't cost meter anymore but do they really need to parry everything including lows and throws. I know in sc4 you could gi throws but it was like a one frame window and rarely happened.

I agree with GI'ing throws being a bit silly since you can generally break them, but I'm okay with it countering all levels and getting guard damage for a whiff as a tradeoff.

I really hope we'll get 13 stages at least.
11 stages is really far too little for a modern fighting game.

The game need more stages, if only for a good story telling. That include things like Adrian, final-boss-stage, Valentine's mansion and variation of existing stages, for exemple Ostrheinsburg Castle : ruins
On this subject, we got some stages spelled "xxxxx : aaaaaa". Maybe we can expect variations of following stages:
  • Shrine of Eurydice: Cloud Sanctuary
  • Ostrheinsburg Castle: Hall of the Chosen
  • Master Swordman's Cave: Azure Horizon
  • Indian Port: Impending Storm
This spell rules was valid for SCV.

Also, for sake of diversity, I hope an infinite stage (final boss stage?), a cage (like torture chamber, with falling wall. We dont already have one do we?) and a raft.

Personally, i would love to see something like clock tower and wolfkrone monument back. I also love multi-tiered stage such as sinking merchant ship.

Regarding the stage select screen, it looks like they could place 2 more slots at the bottom:
stagesel.png

So maybe we'll get 13 stages instead of 11, if that space gets utilized.

oh. has the idea on dlc characters getting stages been talked about at all? damn it i wish someone asked okubo about that.

or that got shot down by what the season pass has listed?

I agree that seeing Elysium come back would be for the best, so we can have Inferno vs. Elysium at some point, but her placement in the character poll was absolutely abysmal, even lower than all the replacement characters, so I'm not holding out any sort of hopes at all. People let their three mimics hate go too far instead of seeing potential for future developments. But even if you do hate mimics, I still don't really fully understand how you could hate Elysium, since she was at least trying something new and different, having her own unique Critical Edge, no matter who she was mimicking, and I truly believe that if SoulCalibur V was finished, then she would have had modified styles for all of her styles, and not just Pyrrha Omega. It's why I'm hoping that Inferno is the boss unlock and the mimic unlock, all rolled into one, using this idea, modifying all of the styles to be a bit more Inferno-like, having Inferno exclusive moves that are usable no matter what style is being mimicked (perhaps Soul Charge only), and yes, having his own unique Critical Edge, no matter which style is being mimicked. And if that is the case, and people actually like it, then maybe Elysium can make a comeback, having her own spin on things.

They should introduce her at the end of this one and maybe work to make her a newish character. I feel elyseium and inferno should be like angel and ogre of tekken.

I think it's always been a little funny that there is no visual indicator to break throws that have different breaks. I think being able to GI them makes perfect sense. But, I think there should be a separate low GI and the window for GI should be smaller.

Does anyone else think that the new GI system is dumb? Im happy that they don't cost meter anymore but do they really need to parry everything including lows and throws. I know in sc4 you could gi throws but it was like a one frame window and rarely happened.
I agree..I mean i can't wait to get this game but there's no reason that GI needs to beat throws..that's was stupid in SC2 also. Imo I feel there needs ta be another attack that's guaranteed to beat GI. It's enough with RE parrying every thing..so I think that would be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
oh. has the idea on dlc characters getting stages been talked about at all? damn it i wish someone asked okubo about that.
or that got shot down by what the season pass has listed?

Would love that but seems optimistic:

View attachment 49349
  • DLC1 Playable Character - A
  • DLC2 Playable Character - B
  • DLC3 Creation Parts Set A
  • DLC4 Playable Character - C
  • DLC5 Creation Parts Set B
  • DLC6 Playable Character - D

Slight change of topic (newbie here, hullo), but I've perhaps a dumb question: Are we expecting Cervantes to be a ghost or a human in VI?

It also heavily damages your guard meter if you whiff it. So that balances it
I don't care about the guard meter, its kind of irrelevant. This has more to do with the ability to mixup your opponent with strings and post gi attacks.. For example Sophie's 4+a,a is mid low string and her 4+a, b is a mid mid designed to make your opponent guess. Now you dont have to guess. I just think it removes alot of the midgames and depth for no reason.

Quite logically, he would be human, as in SCI :) (and welcome ^^)

(Ta!) And yeah, that's more or less what I figured, but if the story is going up to SCIII then it should logically pass or at least reach the point where he gets killed. Could be a cool 2P costume at least, I wasn't a fan of the dark purple look in 3 (and 4, kinda) but the sinister, pallid ghost man thing he had going on in 2 was lovely.

I don't care about the guard meter, its kind of irrelevant. This has more to do with the ability to mixup your opponent with strings and post gi attacks.. For example Sophie's 4+a,a is mid low string and her 4+a, b is a mid mid designed to make your opponent guess. Now you dont have to guess. I just think it removes alot of the midgames and depth for no reason.
Agree with you.
Also the a successfull GI recovers much soul gauge, so whiffing some of them isn't a problem.

But compared to the new mechanic RE - GI is OK.
You can Just go into RE, kill 99% mindgame + safe dmg and on the RPS after that just go defensive.
Also it gives you a ton of meta ...

Back