Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

...Before I start why are people making a deal of the dude that gave Talim a shard of Soul Edge?

However, now that I have free time at the moment I am so happy that Talim is finally back! I love her new design and from the looks of it she seems to have new moves and she finally uses the wind in some of them.

To get into a bit of detail on her outfit I love that her SCII 1P and SCIV 1P are incorporated in her design. Her hat doesn't look hideous, I like her coat and no see through pants! My only peeve is that some parts of her outfit that look...fanservicy.

I think that a justification is that she comes from a hot climate, but still. At least it isn't as bad from her last appearance.

Than there is her CE... Talim are you trying to be a shonen hero? That aside I like it. She looks like she can move fast and now I am very eager to see some gameplay of her.

I can be happy to say that I am going to main Talim along with Xianghua and Zasalamel; and to make a stamp and some fanart of Talim.

This is a great day.

i want a Talim stamp!

Well sophitia isn't standing straight up she's bending her legs, also I agree with the one guy on here. Yall making a big deal outta something so small.

Talim being so small?

I agree with your top 3, but why is lizard man so certain? Just from the images?

If so I'd say that since they're looking to SC2 for this one you're probably getting the above plus(in order of most to least likely in my eyes):

5. raph
6. yun (or hwang, not both)
7. cass (part of SCII, but cloneish style so a little less likely).

Supposedly there's 1 more new character for 8, which leaves 1 slot for:

Mi-na, rock, Tira, Sets, Hilde.

Of those-

Mi-na- was actually in SC2, but I could maybe see her not making it?

Rock- I'd be shocked if he was in given that everytime he's in the game it feels like even namco doesn't care. Shame I'd like to see more large characters.

Tira/hilde/sets- all outside the SCII timeline, all decently popular, all with unique and fleshed out styles. I'd put all of them as most likely to hit DLC.

As for Talim-

K. Do we know what her Soul charge does? Actually on that note do we know what most of the soul charges do BESIDES add extra damage on some moves? It seems like most of them have some character gimmick/passive, but I haven't seen all of them listed anywhere. The ones I know:

Groh- gives teleport moves
Kilik- drains hp, ups damage, changes super
Nightmare- Unique in that he can access his outside of SC with some moves.
Sieg- Gets a new move at low hp vs getting it out of his SC.

and that's it? I know all characters get "new moves" with their SC, but from what i've seen its usually just a combo extension and don't actually change up playstyle much (like say groh's teleport options). Do any other characters get special properties due to SC that we know of (i know taki gets chip when using one of her weapons, but that seems to be unrelated to sc?)

In SC2 Some of Talims moves that were guard breaks became unblockable while Soul Charged. mighy be a interesting thing

Just a heads up Evo is 28 days away. Maybe we'll get something again in 2 weeks and a big reveal during Evo Tekken Finals (or hopefully before that). I'm betting Cervantes will be revealed at EVO for some reason.

200_d.gif

Sounds reasonable, though it would be very odd for there to be so much space between a dot representing Voldo stealing the sword and Yoshi waking up to find it missing minutes/hours later. You would think showing that event (do we know if there are events without combat beyond the empty circles that seem to represent endings?) from both viewpoints would be represented either by a corresponding dots or adjacent dots. Basically, trying to guess what each dot means involves tons of guesswork ( especially since not every event would necessarily need to be shown from all perspectives)

I find the blur lenghts far more tangible, since this first one we can pretty confidantly say we know (due to Talim's largely necessary place on the timeline) was pretty darn accurate.
I agree that guessing what each dot does is pretty guesswork right now, it's just speculation, but there would need to be some overlap, some mix, for their events to be related. And I know it looks like a longer time between those dots where Voldo would steal the sword and Yoshimitsu would retaliate, but if you check the timeline at the top, it's not entirely to the same scale across the board, some years are stretched longer than others, so it may not be as long as it seems. But the empty circles don't represent endings, I don't think. In the story trailer, we actually see a different icon, that looks like a closed book, that would indicate an ending. The empty circles would indicate a next step that isn't unlocked yet, since there is another icon that would mean there's an ending. So theoretically, any of the empty circles could go all the way to 1590, as far as we really know.

I'm taking the blur lengths as loose approximations, may be slightly longer or shorter, as an attempt to throw us off. The lines that are most assuredly Cervantes and Lizardman, if you look inside the blur, makes it look like they're two words, trying to mislead us. So I don't fully trust the lengths to an exact science. Some of them work better than others.

Are you guys seriously arguing over Tira's age when Talim was literally announced 16 hours ago?
Talim is too busy looking cute to be sexual, seriously.
You must be new to anything Japanese.
I think it's worth noting that morality around the world is going to be different relative to your own. To put things into perspective, this is the list of age of consent around the world. If you think underboob on a fictional girl is disturbing, you ain't seen nothing when it comes to certain countries (looking at you middle east).
This game is being made for the developed world, which has an average consent age of about 16 (18 is also very common). Sexualizing 11 year olds isn't okay in any context. It doesn't matter that in some countries 9 is the age of consent. In those countries starvation is common and bored kids play with rocks. Should we also do those?

Last edited:
Are you guys seriously arguing over Tira's age when Talim was literally announced 16 hours ago?
I see no issues with Tira's age, since I believe they'll go for a median age between 10 and 16, so 13-14, or possibly they could even 15-16, and with Talim's inclusion, there's nothing wrong with this. No retcons needed, she can come as she is, as a Bird of Passage, and will fit in without issues.

Talim is too busy looking cute to be sexual, seriously.
You must be new to anything Japanese.
Nah, far from it. I realize that Japan makes cute things sexy, or finds cute things sexually appealing in certain contexts. But Talim is far too pure to be sexualizing herself is the point, she's just trying to keep cool and feel the wind's breeze, that's all there is to it. It would be like saying Rock is being sexual, it's just not something that occurs naturally. People can sexualize whatever they want, but at the end of the day, that's on them.

I see no issues with Tira's age, since I believe they'll go for a median age between 10 and 16, so 13-14, or possibly they could even 15-16, and with Talim's inclusion, there's nothing wrong with this. No retcons needed, she can come as she is, as a Bird of Passage, and will fit in without issues.

Nah, far from it. I realize that Japan makes cute things sexy, or finds cute things sexually appealing in certain contexts. But Talim is far too pure to be sexualizing herself is the point, she's just trying to keep cool and feel the wind's breeze, that's all there is to it. It would be like saying Rock is being sexual, it's just not something that occurs naturally. People can sexualize whatever they want, but at the end of the day, that's on them.

You are making a lot of sense to me. Thin clothing and open areas let her be one with the wind more naturally.

This game is being made for the developed world, which has an average consent age of about 16 (18 is also very common). Sexualizing 11 year olds isn't okay in any context. It doesn't matter that in some countries 9 is the age of consent. In those countries starvation is common and bored kids play with rocks. Should we also do those?

Hey I'm not defending the design choices here, I'm just highlighting a possible reason so everyone has some perspective.

Sigh...

Okay, I’m just going to put this out there, cause I’m tired of this. There 20 slots on the Story Mode board. We can assume we are getting 22 to 23characters total for the base roster. Not including DLC. I’m going to go with 22.

Of the 20slots on the story mode, that means that 2 characters at least will not be part of the story. We can assume one of those characters is probably a newcomer, while the second is probably an Edgemaster.

Therefore, of the 20 slots in Story Mode 14 have been revealed. That leaves six slots. Who is left to fill those slots?

Astaroth, Cervantes, Voldo are pretty certain. Lizardman is another likely one. That four slots taken. Only two left! Who could it be? Hwang, Seong-Mina or Rock?

Think about this; what if Lizardman is not a playable character? What if Cervantes is not in Story mode? What if it’s not Lizardman, but Aeon?

Think about the blurred text for a moment, stop thinking that an SC2 character or an SC3 character can fit in one of those slots, before an original SC1 character can. Tira and Raphael are not the only characters with four letter or seven letters in their names. Think for the moment who in SC1 could sit in those slots given the length of their names.

Rock and Aeon could sit below Groh. Just as Hwang or Voldo can sit near Sophitia and Yoshimitsu.

Astaroth is 8 letters in length, compare tha with other characters whose names are that long. Either way you guess it, you’re going to have one SC1 character omitted from Storymode. Think about that folks.

But clearly, all of this makes no sense at all, might as well toss a pre-adolescent character into the roster over any other Soul Calibur 1 character in a Soul Calibur 1 remake/timeline period. That makes way more sense.

Anyone have any thoughts on the "Azwel" leak? There's an anon who shows up now and again in /v/ SC threads who claims to have worked on the localisation well over a year ago, and says the base roster was clear to him from how the game files (specifically the "narrator" strings) correlate to the following characters:

Talim
Tira
Voldo
Astaroth
Cervantes
Raphael (he's confused by the sweating over this and claims that Raph has full narration strings; "he's in there, clear as day")
Lizardman
Seong Mina
Hwang (however, supposedly he didn't have a narrator segment at the time, so he might not be playable)
Azwel (related to Groh, they apparently belong to the same organisation, likely his rival/father and the other newcomer)
He also mentions a bunch of generic strings addressed to the "Player", probably the CaS, and that plenty of characters fight CaS characters (Taki versus some dudes from the Fuma clan, Sophie fights some Malfested; Voldo and Yoshi also have a lot of mook fights).

I take this with a huge grain of salt, as should you, but it's interesting to me and honestly about what I realistically expect at this point. I'm also desperate for Raphael and will embrace any delusion that he's in there...
Yeah..Raphael all the way...he's the Original character of the Rapier style. Imo he should be a priorty. As for amy, i get her involvement with Raph but she can kick rocks.

Sigh...

Okay, I’m just going to put this out there, cause I’m tired of this. There 20 slots on the Story Mode board. We can assume we are getting 22 to 23characters total for the base roster. Not including DLC. I’m going to go with 22.

Of the 20slots on the story mode, that means that 2 characters at least will not be part of the story. We can assume one of those characters is probably a newcomer, while the second is probably an Edgemaster.

Therefore, of the 20 slots in Story Mode 14 have been revealed. That leaves six slots. Who is left to fill those slots?

Astaroth, Cervantes, Voldo are pretty certain. Lizardman is another likely one. That four slots taken. Only two left! Who could it be? Hwang, Seong-Mina or Rock?

Think about this; what if Lizardman is not a playable character? What if Cervantes is not in Story mode? What if it’s not Lizardman, but Aeon?

Think about the blurred text for a moment, stop thinking that an SC2 character or an SC3 character can fit in one of those slots, before an original SC1 character can. Tira and Raphael are not the only characters with four letter or seven letters in their names. Think for the moment who in SC1 could sit in those slots given the length of their names.

Rock and Aeon could sit below Groh. Just as Hwang or Voldo can sit near Sophitia and Yoshimitsu.

Astaroth is 8 letters in length, compare tha with other characters whose names are that long. Either way you guess it, you’re going to have one SC1 character omitted from Storymode. Think about that folks.

But clearly, all of this makes no sense at all, might as well toss a pre-adolescent character into the roster over any other Soul Calibur 1 character in a Soul Calibur 1 remake/timeline period. That makes way more sense.

Stop thinking that this game is only about SCI when Okubo repeatedly stated in interviews that they are returning to the SCI & SCII era. I myself thought this might only be a SCI remake at first before I read those interviews. Now that Talim is officially revealed, it gives other characters who joined the series from SCII onwards a higher chance to return. Can you not see how ridiculous it is if only Zasalamel and Talim return out of those? It has also been stated that having a wide variety of weapon styles is one of their goals. Rock is a character barely anyone cares about, has a similar weapon style compared to Astaroth and has little to no story relevance. It would be a sin to have him in the base roster, but not Raphael or Tira who are much more unique and significant. Seong Mi-na is another character who I consider boring and irrelevant, but she is at least popular for whatever reason.

Talim Japanese Trailer:

Weirdly she doesn't speak either when she unleash her SC, even tho we can clearly see that she's moveily her lips so she meant to speak, like all other character when they unleash their SC.

Back