Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

There has to be at least one more update to the roster, since we need spaces for the DLC characters (they're obviously not going to just put them in some list off to the side).

That could mean 24 characters (or 25 if the middle is also an unlock) since there's 4 dlc characters and, if the speculation is right and the names shift down for more slots, there'd be space for one more base game slot if they keep it to 5 slots per row.

I wouldn't count on it but it's a possibility.
We have to keep in mind those mysterious tiny circles in the bottom left and bottom right, which could very well be submenus for CaS and DLC, respectively. Think the Bonus Characters slot from SoulCalibur III/IV. That's my guess for what those are, anyway. I really don't see how they'd add any more circles at this point without running over the character arts. The center slot will likely go to Inferno unlockable.

There's also the worst case scenario that Inferno is the bonus DLC character, and that the three circles in the bottom left corner are for the other three DLC characters. I don't want that to be the truth, but we can always aim our sights low to be pleasantly surprised later when it's not true.

That's why there has to be another character select screen update before release.

There's 23 slots on the current roster and 20 of those are definitely in the base game (since there's 20 playable characters in story mode), so there's not enough space for the 4 dlc characters right now. There'll have to be another larger character select if they do the same again and have the dlc slots there in the base game.

I suppose that could also be where the CAS slot is (if it's not in the middle or in those weird white circles), with the new bottom row being 1 slot for CAS and 4 slots left blank for dlc.

While I agree this can be good point, I don't think they necessarily have to update the select screen right away. And they may also be doing something different here.

At the most though, I'd say we're looking at 22 characters on the base roster, 23 hoping, but definitely going to err on 22.

I wouldn't fret too much about certain characters not showing up in the initial DLC. Producer Okubo seems receptive to hearing fan feedback on what we want in the game, so we'll see what he can do.

I just want to say:

Shame on everyone who want Mi-Na in the game without her bae Hwang.

soulcseun-5.png

Mi-Na's a healthy, strong young woman who probably has healthy, strong appetites of her own. But fucking Namco (aka: Bandai-Namcockblockers) have banished the only real man she knows to bonus character land, and decreed that she had to spend three fucking games hunting after that boy band-looking motherfucker. THREE GAMES.

LET THE GIRL GET SOME HWANG FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

I just want to say:

soulcseun-5.png

Mi-Na's a healthy, strong young woman who probably has healthy, strong appetites of her own. But fucking Namco (aka: Bandai-Namcockblockers) have banished the only real man she knows to bonus character land, and decreed that she had to spend three fucking games hunting after that boy band-looking motherfucker. THREE GAMES.

If I were to be quite honest, I have never played a game (Soul Edge and original SoulCalibur) featuring Hwang as a full fledged character. I have only tried him out as a bonus character in SoulCalibur III for the PlayStation 2 which felt a little off. I also emulated the game before and modded it to try him out in SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition which was fun but it was through modding an old game.

The main reason why I want him to be in SoulCalibur VI is mainly because I enjoyed playing Assassin in SoulCalibur II and his gameplay is very different from Yun-seong. That moveset is just a lot more fun to play with than Yun-seong's moveset and I feel a lot more comfortable with it than Yun-seong.

Preferably I would like to play Hwang but if Yun-seong is "replacing" him and Hwang isn't in the game then I would sooner play another character like Yoshimitsu or Xianghua than Yun-seong.

P.S.
I would really like to see Li Long return but with a Three-Section Staff and an original moveset to differentiate him from Maxi. That weapon would be so awesome in Create-a-Soul.

I just want to say:

soulcseun-5.png

LOL let's just get all the Koreans. Besides I ship Hwang and Yun Seong with Seong Mina and Talim respectively so... Yeah. Never enough love in this game.

I just want to say:

soulcseun-5.png

Oh just imagine, Hwang with a completely 100% original moveset that isn't borrowed from Mitsurugi, Yunsung or Xianghua.

More than anyone I worry for Raph.

I mean, I love Mina and Cassie, and even Hwang and Seong after a fashion (they're both dreadfully boring to me, but their playstyles were great fun), but for the sake of a concise base roster/more focused story mode I could see them trimmed off, demoted to DLC, or only having a cameo. But the impoverished French aristocrat fencer, who's been a staple in every game since II, with a unique fighting style embodied by no one else in the cast except his 13 y/o daughter who doesn't have a chance in hell of being playable without him in the picture anyway? That's a pretty fucked thing to lose entirely on the tail end of a sequel that was hugely criticised for cutting iconic characters. You could make a similar case for Setsuka and Tira, who I do hope are in the game (one or the other is DLC bait for sure), but this applies to no one as much as it does to Raph IMO.

Who knows, maybe Talim and Zas are the only reps for II and III in the base game. I could maybe see that being the case. I have a really good feeling about Tira making the base roster though (popularity power + easy story relevance + another much-needed female bad guy character + unique fighting style), which gives me hope.

More than anyone I worry for Raph.

I mean, I love Mina and Cassie, and even Hwang and Seong after a fashion (they're both dreadfully boring to me, but their playstyles were great fun), but for the sake of a concise base roster/more focused story mode I could see them trimmed off, demoted to DLC, or only having a cameo. But the impoverished French aristocrat fencer, who's been a staple in every game since II, with a unique fighting style embodied by no one else in the cast except his 13 y/o daughter who doesn't have a chance in hell of being playable without him in the picture anyway? That's a pretty fucked thing to lose entirely on the tail end of a sequel that was hugely criticised for cutting iconic characters. You could make a similar case for Setsuka and Tira, who I do hope are in the game (one or the other is DLC bait for sure), but this applies to no one as much as it does to Raph IMO.

Who knows, maybe Talim and Zas are the only reps for II and III in the base game. I could maybe see that being the case. I have a really good feeling about Tira making the base roster though (popularity power + easy story relevance + another much-needed female bad guy character + unique fighting style), which gives me hope.

I wouldn't worry about ralph, I think he has enough popularity and definitely enough story relevance to make it into base game. I think he's every bit as likely as Tira and Tira I'd be hard pressed to believe wouldn't make it base roster considering their stance on unique fighting styles and doing a proper reboot with folks like Zas brought into the mix earlier.

I just want to say:

soulcseun-5.png

lmao it’s great because both Mina and Hwang were adamant that they were just ‘friends’ and refused to get married, but they clearly had feelings for each other. It was a perfect dynamic. Mina only ever saw Yun-seong as a little brother.

I want Hwang in the game so bad, but at most I think he’ll be DLC.. with Yun-seong scoring higher in the polls and his connections to Talim. Hopefully if Mina has a story mode, he’ll be in her story, and we’ll get to see some of their romance Kappa

There's like at least four romantic pairings in this game and I've only ever seen one of them come to fruition...and then crash and burn (Kilik and Xianghua). They may have refuted that Hilde's children aren't by Siegfried, but unless I see the proof in the pudding, well... B)

Please let this be the game where I see at least Talim and Yun-seong get somewhere (aside from her SCIII ending).

I dreamt we had a new fencer character, his name was Charles IX and he was wearing a simple armour (like the one teased for the mysterious figurine), and when I was about to get crazy, they also revealed Raphael, with Charles IX being his father...

There's like at least four romantic pairings in this game and I've only ever seen one of them come to fruition...and then crash and burn (Kilik and Xianghua). They may have refuted that Hilde's children aren't by Siegfried, but unless I see the proof in the pudding, well... B)

Please let this be the game where I see at least Talim and Yun-seong get somewhere (aside from her SCIII ending).

TBH I was always split on the SiegHild pair. With Salia in the equation I can't see them nothing more as best friends. IDK.

Everthing could change in the reboot as well for the other three 'canon' pairs. (The most canon one you mentioned crashed, the other two are really ambiguous at best. Let us see how things play out from here.)

Edit: Surprisingly what came to my mind is that Li Long/Chie is the only canon pair that actually had a happy ending and this is actually a sweet surprise seeing how Li Long hasn't been in a main SC game for a long time. SophRoth crashed too in a more brutal fashion than KilikXianghua.

Last edited:
I wonder who the most common characters to see online will be this time. I feel like I saw signficantly more Natsu and Cervantes than anyone else last time. I played SCIV online a good bit but I don't remember who was most popular there (Kilik and Hilde maybe?), and by the time I got around to SCII HD it was too late to see what the casual online playerbase was like.

Last edited:
I like this guys reaction/mini breakdown of Talims reveal
Not going to lie. A lot of these Talim reaction videos have not been to my liking. Either they were indifferent to her reveal or won't stop talking about some questionable parts about her outfit. Not sure about this video seems forced to me. May watch it later.

TBH I was always split on the SiegHild pair. With Salia in the equation I can't see them nothing more as best friends. IDK.

Everthing could change in the reboot as well for the other three 'canon' pairs. (The most canon one you mentioned crashed, the other two are really ambiguous at best. Let us see how things play out from here.)

Edit: Surprisingly what came to my mind is that Li Long/Chie is the only canon pair that actually had a happy ending and this is actually a sweet surprise seeing how Li Long hasn't been in a main SC game for a long time. SophRoth crashed too in a more brutal fashion than KilikXianghua.

I always thought that Siegfried and Hilde were just a bit too reminiscent of the Norse Sigurd and Brunhildr (to the point that they even gave Siegfried a sword named Gram, just like the titular Norse hero, erroneously spelled Glam for years).

Back