Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yeah, after all, its totally not like we're in a fantasy world where the story revolves around two soul-devouring swords, right? Magic is totally out of place. Ivy is one of, if not THE most iconic character of the franchise and she is a witch, but magic is totally out of place. Sophitia always followed the will of the gods and her strenght was given by them. No magic there. Lizardman? Who also happened to be a human before? Where can magic be seen in that situation? A ghostly pirate that cannot rest because of his obsession for one of the swords and fights post death? But magic is definitely too much. Nice logic +1.

I meant gameplay wise...like the time stopping , transformations, horse riding, etc. Also read the post again cuz I said it was subtle but I never denied it wasn’t there.

For Groh I think he is fine. He's just ahead of his time when it comes to fashion. His look and armor i believe is inspired from the Victorian era. the picture below is more or less the same idea and look groh has.
0ddeec703c4284ce63aa22dc9f7a1707-steampunk-jpg.49803
That would be cool if it weren't out of place by 250 years and a couple thousand miles.
Zwei 2P outfit is one of the best outfit ever in any fighting game imo

000074.jpg
Sasuke did it first (and better):
nconr_sasuke.jpg

when his character design isn't even bland
The only reason he seems interesting is because most other fg characters have the depth of a kiddy pool. He's incredibly plain and it's painfully obvious that he has no shtick beyond being a combo of "shounen bad guy #43725", Darth Maul, and evil spy mcmessiah-dude.

Soul Calibur was always based on anime.

Yeah, I think when people complain about Groh being "too anime" they don't consider that anime tropes and designs have changed a lot since the 90s.

Xianghuafx.jpg

Take X's original art as just one example. She'd fit right in in a 90s anime, and nobody complains about that. The thing is that anime designs aren't really like this anymore. Groh looks just as anime as X does, the problem is that anime has changed a lot. He looks like he fits in more with something like Sword Art Online or whatever, and less like the classic 90s anime style many of the characters had.

Not necessarily a bad thing, they're trying to keep up with what is popular I guess. If he were designed like a classic SC1 character, just as many people would complain that he's boring and not cool or stylish enough. Personally I prefer the older style of designs, but it's sorta silly to expect them to keep designing characters like that forever.

Hi everyone! I took a trip to Anime Expo in LA to get some footage to make an Ivy move list video. Only had a limited time alone with the demo, so a few moves are missing. The video footage was corrupted unfortunately, so sorry for the low quality.

I will try to attend EVO next month and gather more footage for a combo video as well.

Enjoy! <3

Nice work!

Sasuke did it first (and better):
I will ask it again, do you ever think, for a second, before you talk? Those designs share nothing in common. You're talking about a character that is literally the nice guys from V and was made to break expectations.

And you keep talking about Groh as if you know how everything will play out and you don't even back up anything you say, you just keep talking as if you know.

Soul Calibur always pick from different time periods, _always_ .

I don't know if anybody's pointed this out before, but I just noticed looking at some gameplay videos that some stages seem to have different starting distances.

x9g59W4.jpg

bqpHzHk.jpg

HW3IYer.jpg

miFoSum.jpg

bbDC0A5.jpg

I like it, makes the stages even more important for certain characters. (added more screenies)

So far it looks like there's four different spacings, closest (kaer morhen), close (most), medium (snow stage) and far (dock stage)

Last edited:
Back