Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I’m so anxious waiting for any that attended NYCC to say where Tira is on the select screen. This game can’t come fast enough.

I've accepted it either way, but it still bears repeating that designing the select screen to have blatantly missing (asymmetrical!!!!) spots is a moronic move. All they had to do was drop Azwel down to the space next to Taki/Cervantes and then forgo the dots at least until the DLC is actually available, and it wouldn't look like anything was missing. Are they banking on OCD to sell characters here or what?

Bo
a wink that the slots are dlc or a wink that inferno is in the center?
both i was asking questions n he winked to let me know i was correct. Game looks amaze balls they def tweaked it from the beta version. I dont know if you were able to gi critical edge moves b4 but cervy gi’d siegs and maxis. There not leting me go into menu guys sorry

Bo

both i was asking questions n he winked to let me know i was correct. Game looks amaze balls they def tweaked it from the beta version. I dont know if you were able to gi critical edge moves b4 but cervy gi’d siegs and maxis. There not leting me go into menu guys sorry

you mean the graphics look even better than beta or are you talking about gameplay ?

The argument about the game having “not enough females” has merit but is also blown way out of proportion. Not counting bonus characters (SCIII’s CaS styles, bonus in SCIV...), the games have always had approximately a third of the main roster comprised of female fighters.
  • SB/SE: 3/10
  • SC: 5/19
  • SCII: 7/22
  • SCIII: 9/25
  • SCIV: 11/29
  • SCV: 9/28
SCVI is launching with 7 females out of a roster of 22. That’s two less than SCV (two of which were Pyrrha Omega and Elysium), and the same exact amount as in SCII. The season pass may even give us more females.

Y’all need to chill.

Last edited:
So the slots ARE DLC... *sigh* Welp nuthin' to be done about it. I really hope we get a Season 2 eventually though if the base roster's gonna be this small.

So odd that there's no unlockable characters aside from Inferno :/ Remember when fighting games like Tekken 3 and even past SC games had a number of unlocks that matched the number of base characters sometimes? I miss those times. Probably a budget issue more than anything though so I guess it can't be helped.

So if the 4 DLC are the missing dots on the screen, then they would probably follow the good side/evil side theme they have going on. So I guess Hwang/Yun, Setsu or Cass and for evil side Aeon and Tira. Who else would be considered bad,evil?

I'm not sure it's more limited when it comes to female... There should be more options indeed, but what we have so far is equally good (or bad) for both males and females. Just because males have more options doesn't mean they are better options.

Well, SJW would tend to say the opposite: women that got beaten by man in a video game? Women you can dress like a doll and make it your "property"? Women that have any interaction with a man (Mi-na with her father and Hwang, Viola with Raphael, Sophitia under Hephaistos' orders...)?

The gender (or race) card has NOTHING to do in a work of fiction. Just because a gender (or a race) isn't needed doesn't mean the creators are sexist or the game isn't fair. Do people complain about LotR being exclusively male members? Should they have made a game where more females are added for the sake of having "diversity"? SC6 doesn't need more femlas, the story is as good as is now, though legacy characters are welcome. We sure miss and lack Setsuka, Cassandra and Amy, but mostly because of their fighting styles, not their gender. And for a new female: if it's not required, there's no need for it to be forced upon us.

This is my last comment on the gender topic, for I don't want to pollute the discussion further with discussions that don't need to exist regarding the game. We should all focus on things that truly matter about the game.

There aren't many sjw in here and no one is complaining about those things in your first few sentences.

And hate to break it to you, but gender and race has a lot to do with majority of works of fiction. While these might not be important in some, they are definitely figured into a large number of characters' portrayals and contexts, even if not entirely intentionally... just look at the millions of fictions work that emphasize those tenets. And of course just because one race, gender, or whatever isn't in a game that doesn't mean it's sexist or racist or not fair, but one can also look at larger patterns and analyze the contexts and consequences of those patterns. For an individual author or developer to not at least consider such patterns and contexts does not necessarily mean they are racist or sexist of course, but it can mean they may not be paying attention to certain trends and contexts, which is fine in most cases because most stories don't involve a cosmopolitan cast of characters, but I don't see why it can't be brought up either by a critical audience, especially as product-based media works are a reflection of both individual and societal values.

You shouldn't add characters just for the sake of having diversity in the racial and gender sense, but having different genders (and races and cultures) can encourage different and varying presentation of characters (art style) as well as more niche fighting styles, both of which will surely help the fan base and surely help fans come into the game. I don't know how that's arguable unless the art style is so bizarre or offensive, or you are more towards being a closed-minded purist or trying to portray a very specific vision of a game that would make sense to exclude certain race, gender, or culture (ie making a game with a small cast, or portraying a story in a very specific setting). I also doubt that Soul Calibur would be as popular if characters such as Ivy, Talim, and Taki weren't in the game. There might be reasons why some of the most popular character-based, big cast games in modern times have a significant amount of women (League, overwatch, etc.).

I understand being upset or concerned by overzealous SJWs, but people still need to look at the situation critically and realistically. No need to overreact to something that isn't happening, (ie in soul calibur fandom, barely anyone is getting upset at women being too sexy or how they interact with men because almost no one cares, but there are a lot of human beings who definitely prefer to play as females and others who prefer more flashy/feminine/dramatic play styles, or at least like having many options to go down that route and try different styles/characters). One can have the opinion that gender doesn't matter in game character portrayals, but it shouldn't be supported by falsehoods.

Last edited:
Back