Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I wasn't super motivated earlier, but you'd be surprised at what can look good together. And think of how much better it will be with dlc! \o3o/

When you start messing around with paterns and colors, a lot of possibilities really do open up.

Its still frustrating though. I remember SC3 being the most fun for this despite how old it is. The reason is because that game had little to no restrictions on "conflicting items". It also had a lot of good pieces that never came back.

And that game had no patterns, no stickers, and far less coloring options. Yet despite this, it still felt very fun. Definitely better than SC4 for sure and for the moment, still better than this game.

When you start messing around with paterns and colors, a lot of possibilities really do open up.

Its still frustrating though. I remember SC3 being the most fun for this despite how old it is. The reason is because that game had little to no restrictions on "conflicting items". It also had a lot of good pieces that never came back.

And that game had no patterns, no stickers, and far less coloring options. Yet despite this, it still felt very fun. Definitely better than SC4 for sure and for the moment, still better than this game.

The reason why was because the items made for CAS in 3 were unique and were built specifically to mes with the world of Soul Calibur. Things like the female barbarian gear, the berserker armor, hell even the assassin’s gear. It all was built to play into Soulcalibur’s general aesthetic at the time.
As soon as SCV’s director stated that the CAS was to focus on creating “pop culture” characters, it all went downhill.
-Washed out textures on clothing
-more basic, flat gear selection
-several more specific gear from previous games completely removed
-new pieces focused on more modern look

Yeah, it’s technically more “imaginative”, but it causes such a hard aesthetical clash with the main cast, and the overall look of the series if minimum effort can create absolutely garbage characters, compared to 3 where it was very hard to screw up with the most basic pieces. Same could go for 4 in that regard.

Personally I think people should be allowed to make whatever they want... sure it may look bad, so does a green skinned goblin with purple hair and misshapen face in soulsborne games. People love that shit. Let them make whatever atrocities they desire. People complain about dlc and locking out content but for many casual players making a hideous fighter or their favorite marvel hero is a big part of enjoying the game.

Last edited:
The appeal of CaS is the same as creating your own character in any RPG. Whether you want to immerse yourself in the role of the setting or just bring something from your imagination to life in some form, the freedom to create the character is very enjoyable. Even "trolls" are doing it for a joke, regardless of whether you find it funny or base. Personally, I use it to create characters for my own stories with no relation whatsoever to the genre or setting of SoulCalibur. It's the same as 3-D character designing for me, which becomes very useful when later sketching those designs. And this on top of getting to play as those characters in battles with other characters when playing with friends.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

--Forgon

So I've concluded that for the time being, I'm perfectly content not finishing Libra of Soul.
Reason? Fuck Azwel. Like, I genuinely lack the focus required to keep track of half of what he's doing. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
So I've concluded that for the time being, I'm perfectly content not finishing Libra of Soul.
Reason? Fuck Azwel. Like, I, genuinely lack the focus required to keep track of half of what he's doing. It's ridiculous.
To be honest I'm barely part way into it and I'm just bored :/ Chronicles of the Sword it is not.
Literally the only time I had some interest in what was happening was when Haoran turned out to be the crazy murderer and I genuinely went "oh shit". Otherwise, the mode feels weak and dull. Even exploring/side-quests aren't as fun as I'd hoped it would be.
I'm gonna stick with it but if Azwel's a piece of shit then I might not bother because I had enough bullshit with Inferno in Soul Chronicle and at least with him you have a superpowered Xianghua and Kilik to play with.

Do the adjustments of a CaS' shape influence hitboxes too? As in stuff like arm, leg, hip size etc. I see people only talking about height.

To be honest I'm barely part way into it and I'm just bored :/ Chronicles of the Sword it is not.
Literally the only time I had some interest in what was happening was when Haoran turned out to be the crazy murderer and I genuinely went "oh shit". Otherwise, the mode feels weak and dull. Even exploring/side-quests aren't as fun as I'd hoped it would be.
I'm gonna stick with it but if Azwel's a piece of shit then I might not bother because I had enough bullshit with Inferno in Soul Chronicle and at least with him you have a superpowered Xianghua and Kilik to play with.
I'm right there with ya. CotS at least had the RTS sections to break up the fights which prevented the mode from being too monotonous. Plus all the cutscenes and original characters. I would've loved a sequel to CotS, actually. Set in the same world and whatnot, some years after the original story.

I think what also hurts LoS is the lack of unlockables for CaS. It doesn't leave you with much incentive to keep going after a while because there's no real reward for doing, well, anything.

The reason why was because the items made for CAS in 3 were unique and were built specifically to mes with the world of Soul Calibur. Things like the female barbarian gear, the berserker armor, hell even the assassin’s gear. It all was built to play into Soulcalibur’s general aesthetic at the time.
As soon as SCV’s director stated that the CAS was to focus on creating “pop culture” characters, it all went downhill.
-Washed out textures on clothing
-more basic, flat gear selection
-several more specific gear from previous games completely removed
-new pieces focused on more modern look

Yeah, it’s technically more “imaginative”, but it causes such a hard aesthetical clash with the main cast, and the overall look of the series if minimum effort can create absolutely garbage characters, compared to 3 where it was very hard to screw up with the most basic pieces. Same could go for 4 in that regard.

I remember 4 was the worst specifically because it removed several slots and combined them. On top of that, it combined them in such a way that so much gear was heavily stacked into one layer, eliminating any possibility of combining armor with normal clothing for example.

Its hard for me to criticize SC5 CAS right now. We should admit it made rather significant improvements over 4. And i think i speak for most people in saying they would trade the current one for that in a heartbeat. The only improvement i can see is race selection and much better weapon customization.

Wait is Hwang Seong Mina's brother? On her portrait, it says Brother: Hwang. Also under weapon compendium, they renamed Guillotine to Decapitator and Glam to Gram

Wait is Hwang Seong Mina's brother? On her portrait, it says Brother: Hwang. Also under weapon compendium, they renamed Guillotine to Decapitator and Glam to Gram
No, that's a mistake, if you read her story tab, it says "like a brother", and someone goofed on the main bio. If Hwang was her brother, then his name would be Seong Hwang. But Hwang is actually his last name, full name Hwang Seong-gyeong. It would be weird if Seong Han-myeong actually adopted Hwang, because his name would then become Seong Seong-gyeong. Hong Yun-seong bears no relation to anyone, for complete coverage of the Korean family trees.

No, that's a mistake, if you read her story tab, it says "like a brother", and someone goofed on the main bio. If Hwang was her brother, then his name would be Seong Hwang. But Hwang is actually his last name, full name Hwang Seong-gyeong. It would be weird if Seong Han-myeong actually adopted Hwang, because his name would then become Seong Seong-gyeong. Hong Yun-seong bears no relation to anyone, for complete coverage of the Korean family trees.
I know it's minor but I hope they patch some of these lore goofs.

Back