Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Well it appears I was taken in by the gossip.

Rumor Rumor Rumor
Gossip Gossip Gossip ~♫

Gamefaqs "The Oiran Kick"

Not Gamefaqs but I did read it many times in many different places that I just took it as fact. As the saying goes "If you keep repeating something regardless the absurdity of it, people will eventually think that it's true".

Is it odd that I prefer Setsuka's SCIV appearance to her SCIII one? I really liked the lavender, gold, and cherry blossom pink color scheme, and the blonde hair really did well to round out her "outsider in sheep's clothing" background. Plus she looked like badass with the ronin-esque kimono off the shoulder look with the tattoo.
I do like her SC4 kimono more than her SC3 kimono, I just would've preferred if she wore it like her SC3 kimono.

Here's a question:

If you had to select one previous game's costumes available for CAS, which one? Its all or nothing though, i dont mean picking favorites from each game. Or another way to ask this is which game had the best costume selections?

I think SC3 had the best selection. I wouldnt pinpoint anything in particular, but there were fewer costumes that i hated.
SoulCalibur III definitely had the best outfits. There are a few from the other games that are individually better than specific others, but overall, the quality oozes all over SoulCalibur III's outfits, like equal care was put into all of the 2ps just like they were 1ps.

speaking of outfits does anyone have an idea when they’re releasing the DLC outfit customisation parts

SoulCalibur III definitely had the best outfits. There are a few from the other games that are individually better than specific others, but overall, the quality oozes all over SoulCalibur III's outfits, like equal care was put into all of the 2ps just like they were 1ps.

This i agree with. Hell, some of the 1ps in SC4 were terrible. I'd avoid picking that game just to avoid them, even if it has some favorites.

It's just...difficult to pick one game, really. Like, I want Xianghua's outfits from IV, her 2P from III, Sophitia's 2P from III, Seong Mi-na's 1P from IV, Yun-seong's 2P from II but his 1P from IV, Talim's 2P from II and III, Siegfried's 2P from III, Pyrrha's outfits from V, Elysium and Viola's outfits from V.... I could honestly go on and on about what I can pick and choose from each game in the series.

My wishlist
SC: Hwang 2P, Ivy 2P, Nightmare 2P, Seong Mina 2P, Sophitia 3P & Voldo 2P.
SC II: Cervantes 1P, Nightmare 2P, Seong Mina 2P, Talim 2P, Xianghua 2P, Yun Seong 2P, Taki 2P.
SC III: Cassandra 2P, Ivy 2P, Raphael 2P, Rock 2P, Seong Mina 2P, Setsuka 1P, Siegfried 2P, Sophitia 2P, Talim 2P, Tira 2P, Yun Seong 1P.
SC IV: Cassandra 2P, Hilde 2P, Maxi 1P, Mitsurugi 2P, Seong Mina 1P, Setsuka 2P, Siegfried 2P, Voldo 1P, Talim 2P, Xianghua 2P, Yoshimitsu 2P, Yun Seong 1P.
SC V: Elysium 2P, Hilde 2P, Ivy 2P, Leixia 2P, Natsu 2P, Patroklos 1P, Pyrrha 2P, Tira 1P, Viola 2P, Voldo 2P, Xiba 2P & Z.W.E.I. 1P.

Here's a question:

If you had to select one previous game's costumes available for CAS, which one? Its all or nothing though, i dont mean picking favorites from each game. Or another way to ask this is which game had the best costume selections?

I think SC3 had the best selection. I wouldnt pinpoint anything in particular, but there were fewer costumes that i hated.
Hmmm...to me it would probably be like this.

SC3>SC2>SC5>SC1>SE>SC4.

If I was judging it off my main character alone (Voldo) it would change a bit. SC5>SC2>SC1>SC3>SE>SC4.

That’s just my opinion anyway.

Good lord, now people are hating on SCIV for the colour schemes of the outfits? That game just cannot catch a break with the fanbase. Personally, I appreciated the return to something approaching realistic visual style. I love the art design of SCII and SCIII to bits (for III in particular it is undoubtedly one of its strongest features, and the attention to detail there was great, in everything from models to stages to weapons), but let's be honest--things got a little anime there for a while and much as I love the style as a whole, the colours were....not subtle; if you played SCIII for two hours and then looked at a wall, the negative would probably make it look like a Jackson Pollock painting. It's even worse in V, of course, with the extra factor that V also cranked up the contrast and boldness of the lines at the edges of textures, with the overall effect (surprise, surprise) of making models feel a little too Street Fighter-ish.

SCIV not only had great visual flair comparable to SCIII in terms of the thought that went into it, it was also a substantial leap forward in rendering for the series and the devs for that entry clearly were trying to turn the ship back a little bit more towards the balance that SCI struck between strong creative design and realism, with just ever-so-slightly more reserved colours schemes than SCII and SCIII, finer detail and texturing, and more reasonable choices in the wardrobe (and guys, backing off the whacky "let's try anything" of III that resulted in such things as Astaroth having a hammer for a head in one costume and a superhero costume in the other was definitely a good call. IV is an amazingly good looking game. In fact, if you factor in how much of an improvement it was over previous games in terms of texture quality, clarity of resolution and the attention to detail, it is maybe the best looking game in the series, despite there being three newer games. There's plenty of reasons for Soul Calibur IV not to be the favourite of everybody, but art design and quality of the visuals is not one of them--and this most certainly extends to the character designs and costumes.

Considering that 2B was coming "soon" for two months, though, that doesn't really mean anything.

Two months is "soon" in game development terms. I think we've all gotten a little spoiled by our contemporary on-demand media standards. Namco is a large company but not a development juggernaut, and it has multiple properties that it is developing follow-up DLC for right now. I know the the wait for a character/moveset in particular can feel interminable, but I think they pace so far has been reasonably brisk. Then again, check back in with me in a few months if they still have not announced Amy and I may be singing a different tune! ;)

Good lord, now people are hating on SCIV for the colour schemes of the outfits?
Nnnno..? I didn't see anyone do that. Designs, yes. Color schemes, no.
There's plenty of reasons for Soul Calibur IV not to be the favourite of everybody, but art design and quality of the visuals is not one of them--and this most certainly extends to the character designs and costumes.
I mean, you may not think so, but that's not the case for a lot of people, as this is all a matter of opinion. I've yet to see anyone deny that the game's graphics are great, especially when compared to previous games, with the exception of certain things like Cassandra's face model. But the designs are a mixed bag and for a lot of people, myself included, SC4 has some of the worst designs in the series for a variety of reasons and it's a perfectly reasonable criticism.

I mean, you may not think so, but that's not the case for a lot of people, as this is all a matter of opinion. I've yet to see anyone deny that the game's graphics are great, especially when compared to previous games, with the exception of certain things like Cassandra's face model. But the designs are a mixed bag and for a lot of people, myself included, SC4 has some of the worst designs in the series for a variety of reasons and it's a perfectly reasonable criticism.
It definitely has the worst Ivy design in the series (at least to me). Ugh...

B2725C24-F205-4381-B0BE-BF00D1C5F494.jpeg

I would not say that the SCIV outfits for all the characters was terrible. There were some that I did like. Xianghua was perfect in both outfits; a lot of the 2P were better than the 1P like Cassandra, Taki and Ivy (going to admit that I did not like the hairdo she had though. The belt/skirt thing and her lower garment looked weird combined, but looked great on other pieces of clothing) and ironically I didn't like Talim's outfits in those games and Tira lost that cool look she had in her first appearance. Oh, and Zasalamel looked bad, too.

However, it would be nice to still get their outfits as DLC for CaS. Doubt that would happen, though.

Also, to answer @AMillionHP question that would be SC3. Following SC2, yet for me SC3 has the most solid outfits.

Well, far be it for me to begrudge anyone their opinion, but I honestly think IV's lack of popularity often makes it an easy target, no matter the feature being recollected, just because its multiplayer balance and lack of adequate patching leaves some people with aggravated memories. And at the end of the day, to the extent that we can say anything concrete about an issue that boils down down to individual subjective preference, surely most people would, when comparing IV and V side-by-side, have to concede that the character design was superior (or at least more mature) in IV rather than the over-the-top, anime-inspired designs of V. I mean, I know the comparisons are a little more difficult to make here because only half the roster is shared in common with past games, but still....ZWEI alone tanks that game. That guy looks like some dude your sister dates when she first gets to college who, immediately upon your meeting him, makes you wonder if you should try to wait out the relationship or point out that he is an uber douche the first time you are alone with her. Most of the rest of the new blood cast aren't much less painfully obvious indicators of how the devs were trying so hard to make that game "edgy", whereupon they fell flat on their faces.

And VI, much as I am a fan of the game in the aggregate already, is actually one of the weaker entries as well, when it comes to character designs. The returning cast are mostly given kind of cookie-cutter variations of their classic looks, which I guess is appropriate enough, all things considered, but Groh and Azwel? Have there ever been two new characters who looked more out of place/just outright lame than this pair? I can't think of better descriptors than the ones I hit upon when first seeing their reveal trailers, so I'm just going to repeat them here: Azwel looks like a 1950's stage magician who is now mostly known as a serial sex offender (or, in the alternate, a Buck rogers villain) and Groh...jesus Groh...he looks like he's auditioning to be the front man for a My Chemical Romance cover band. He is quite simply the most emo character to ever be added to a fighting game, which is a truly staggering accomplishment. Seriously, every time I see that ridiculous character and his absurd weapon come on my screen, this is all I can think of:

caption: Groh activates soul charge.

Anyway, it's all nitpicks at the end of the day. Gameplay is the most essential feature for me, and in any event, CaS allows us to sidestep any truly poor visual design choices in the characters. That said, I think it's a virtually empirical statement to say that the franchise hit it's peak of artistic design between SCI and SCIV, plummeted in SCV and has yet to quite yet return to its former grandeur in SCVI.

Last edited:
Back