Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

It's probably a different way of saying "you don't know what you have until it's gone"

Just as a pedantic note the full quote is "You only realize what you have once it's gone"
The "only" adds all the meaning. Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit of pedantic twat
Anyway, the worst offender is the voice that literally says thank you during a CE. WHY IS THAT EVEN A VOICE LINE?!
Still sounds like an oxymoron to me. There's missed potential in these flimsy written voices, but I guess SC lines should be half-twit corny. It's probably done by choice at this point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sc6>>>>>>>>>>>sc5>sc2>>>>>>>>>>>>sc3>sc4

Psssst...

sc5>sc2=0 cred

[walks away satisfied for having done the little favour of pointing out that obvious typo: the Soul Calibur equivalent of "Pssst, dude: your fly is down"]

;)

Last edited:
Some of my picks for CAS DLC costumes.

Attachments

• 4D060042-13C1-48C2-90E1-60C535B0D081.jpeg
    4D060042-13C1-48C2-90E1-60C535B0D081.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 102
  • C0363153-DBD4-42A5-BA97-0031E7875B15.jpeg
    C0363153-DBD4-42A5-BA97-0031E7875B15.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 572E6E2A-0736-4020-A0EA-0EBA1E87C087.jpeg
    572E6E2A-0736-4020-A0EA-0EBA1E87C087.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 0ACE912F-15D6-4408-8C3F-87B5F80150D6.jpeg
    0ACE912F-15D6-4408-8C3F-87B5F80150D6.jpeg
    593.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 0F9F3DC7-CDF4-4FF7-B146-B8A4EB56212F.jpeg
    0F9F3DC7-CDF4-4FF7-B146-B8A4EB56212F.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 3B004713-1D2A-471B-B95D-AC82F0B3DE61.jpeg
    3B004713-1D2A-471B-B95D-AC82F0B3DE61.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 84
Psssst...

sc5>sc2=0 cred

[walks away satisfied for having done the little favour of pointing out that obvious typo: the Soul Calibur equivalent of "Pssst, dude: your fly is down"]

;)
I won't get into details or justify my opinion to you. It's kinda funny that you went the low blow route. Feeling snubbed? Oh I know, It's when I called you out for numerous mountains of texts, and now you're butthurt. Mmckay dude nice knowin' you :)

I won't get into details or justify my opinion to you. It's kinda funny that you went the low blow route. Feeling snubbed? Oh I know, It's when I called you out for numerous mountains of texts, and now you're butthurt. Mmckay dude nice knowin' you :)

Oh please do relax, seriously! That was meant in complete good humour (hint: the winky emoticon is meant to signify mirth, whimsy, and a non-literal interpretation, in case you are new to the internet...or human emotions). And honestly, I had no recollection of you being the one who said that to me--in threads with 17,000 posts, names tend to blur together, so your theory that I am trying to tear you down as some tit-for-tat...yeah, no. For someone who uses "the Dude" as their avatar, you sure do take trivial criticisms (about things that matter pretty much as little as something can matter in this life) awwwwfully seriously. There is no such thing as a"low blow" in talking about your favourite Soul Calibur, as the stakes are pretty much less than nothing, and no opinion on the topic should ever be taken too seriously. But for the record, any time you see me having a laugh over any interpretation of quality on any aspect of this franchise (whether directed at you or not) please do take me at my word that it's humour, and keep things in perspective.

And anyway, even if I were inclined to talk about such things as if there were an empirical measure for the "best game", I'd still have to reconsider genuinely attacking someone, because my own preferences don't exactly align perfectly with the average community view, as best I can tell. Here, just so we're on a level playing field and you can make your counter-criticism, if you are inclined:

SCII≈SCIII≈SCIV>SCI>SE>SC:LS>that apparently awful and clunky SC beat'em-up on the Wii (even though I never played it)>going outside with a friend and a pair of heavy sticks to take turns whacking each other in the head until brain damage ensues>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SCV

Last edited:
Since we were on the topic of outfits for a bit. I'd like to make this the obligatory "manage your expectations" warning since we are all kind of thirsty for DLC news and already know what to expect character wise. That just leaves CAS parts and i know everyone is excited about it because 100 sounds like a lot.

But please think back to what we thought prior to the game's release and all the disappointment. Even 2B's release was bad in this case. The devs obviously know the selection and options in general is bad. And they must know we would want access to that outfit. Despite that, what we got was barely a step above it not being available at all. For all we know, it could be a similar case for all future DLC character outfits. The additional 100 pieces will probably also come with the same annoying issues we already have.

Since we were on the topic of outfits for a bit. I'd like to make this the obligatory "manage your expectations" warning since we are all kind of thirsty for DLC news and already know what to expect character wise. That just leaves CAS parts and i know everyone is excited about it because 100 sounds like a lot.

But please think back to what we thought prior to the game's release and all the disappointment. Even 2B's release was bad in this case. The devs obviously know the selection and options in general is bad. And they must know we would want access to that outfit. Despite that, what we got was barely a step above it not being available at all. For all we know, it could be a similar case for all future DLC character outfits. The additional 100 pieces will probably also come with the same annoying issues we already have.

At least they bundled it with the season pass rather than trying to sell it at piecemeal at price-gouging rates (otherwise known as the Dead or Alive model) this time. But yeah, I'm inclined to agree, expectations are likely to result in something of a let down with the final drops. But they are also releasing little bits of extra content with the patches for free, apparently--and all told, I feel like they are giving fair value with the DLC this time around. Plus, no bugs like in SCV that can make most of CaSs appear to be in their skivvies, thus completely negating any value you got, even if you did pay for that overpriced nonsense. So far anyway.

That's his 2P costume in V!

Really? Jesus, I must have blocked that game from my memory even more strongly than I thought. I mean, I played much less SCV than any other game in the series since SE, but even conservatively speaking I still must have put well over a hundred hours into it (if not two hundred) most of it multiplayer--you'd think I'd remember a standard 2P model for any character. Man, that game really did not connect with me, at least not by comparison to the rest of the series. But I like that model. And you can definitely see the "Raph is likely the new Nightmare" argument in it.

Honestly I went through all the 1p and 2p costumes in V and they were all actually not that bad. Would love some of those to return.

I'm thinking of pulling my PS3 or 360 out of mothballs to re-asses the art design of that game, following this and some other conversations along the same lines from the last few days.

Viola's 2P costume is still one of my absolute favorite costumes on anyone ever in the series. Plus it made her look somewhat more at home with the series (as a Romani gypsy archetype, but still) than just being a loose play off of Little Red Riding Hood.

Personally, once I realized it was possible to create a decently accurate Royce (this one is doable too) in CaS, I never selected Viola's standard models again outside of ranked. I think both her standard costumes are solid though. Viola really was the stand-out addition to that game, in terms of both gameplay and aesthetic design. Not worth losing classic Amy by any means, but still a strong feature of that roster.

It's probably a different way of saying "you don't know what you have until it's gone"

Just as a pedantic note the full quote is "You only realize what you have once it's gone"
The "only" adds all the meaning. Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit of pedantic twat
Anyway, the worst offender is the voice that literally says thank you during a CE. WHY IS THAT EVEN A VOICE LINE?!

"You don't know what you got 'til it's gone" is an idiomatic variation on the original phrase that has mostly worked its way into the vernacular, more than anything, as a consequence of Joni Mitchell's 70's environmentalist anthem Big Yellow Taxi. The context of its usage in that song makes the "only" pretty obvious. And I would argue that it might even be implicit even without said context, just by the sentence structure, but obviously mileage will vary with regard to the semantics.

Last edited:
Back