Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'll stop as soon as you stop your theory that the SoulCalibur V era is never happening again, despite us having the seeds planted that it absolutely is happening again. I freely admit that Grøh may not be Z.W.E.I., but the possibility certainly exists that they could be one in the same, or at the very least, related. I treat nothing as irrefutable fact. I just keep the possibility in mind until it's disproven.
Actually if Groh would to receive the ZWEI treatment then I would be totally in for it. Both are awfully unfitting designs bit at least ZWEI's character was tolerable unlike Groh's

As for Viola? It's entirely possible she could just be rebooted in the New Timeline without the time skip. Not too hard to do.
It almost certainly wouldn't require the infamous time skip to bring Viola in. We never got any indications about when Amy became Viola, so it could have been shortly after SCIV's events.

Even bringing in the others new to the series from SCV wouldn't necessarily require ditching the classic cast, though. Several have supernatural attributes, and none of them were really so old to begin with that 17 years should put them in a walker.

For that matter, it doesn't break suspension of disbelief for characters like Mitsurugi and Setsuka to even improve with age in a series with anime-esque design aesthetics. Disregarding that Edgemaster is legitimately ancient, even just going off the age he looks would have us peg him as elderly.

How so? And also, dude that is such a low remark. Damn, why you do that?
Because fighting games need a diverse roster of characters that appeal to every type of player. Just like this food metaphor! You need your fancy, five-star restaurants (Taki; only for high-class individuals), your family-owned eateries (Sophitia; kids eat free) and your sketchy-but-delicious food trucks (Astaroth; mostly maggot-free this week). A roster based purely on popularity is like Taco Bell winning best Mexican restaurant - utterly predictable and a bit sad.

While I love fast food as much as the next guy, that's sort of what SCVI's roster feels like. It's a much better game than SCV (which gave me food poisoning), but I respect that Bamco was willing to take risks and try new things. A series can't survive forever if it only plays it safe.

Awkward food metaphors aside, the real harm from the SC poll is that I've had to read approximately seven thousand internet arguments over it. Lost Swords never hurt me like this.

That popularity poll was the worst thing ever inflicted upon the SC series. Yes, worse than Lost Swords.
No. I have to agree with people here and say that Patrokolos’ incestuous self was the worst thing ever. Also, why are people acting like the results from the poll were soooo off. It’s not like if people got more votes Hualin was gonna end up number one. The top characters are generally the most favored.

Because fighting games need a diverse roster of characters that appeal to every type of player. Just like this food metaphor! You need your fancy, five-star restaurants (Taki; only for high-class individuals), your family-owned eateries (Sophitia; kids eat free) and your sketchy-but-delicious food trucks (Astaroth; mostly maggot-free this week). A roster based purely on popularity is like Taco Bell winning best Mexican restaurant - utterly predictable and a bit sad.

While I love fast food as much as the next guy, that's sort of what SCVI's roster feels like. It's a much better game than SCV (which gave me food poisoning), but I respect that Bamco was willing to take risks and try new things. A series can't survive forever if it only plays it safe.

Awkward food metaphors aside, the real harm from the SC poll is that I've had to read approximately seven thousand internet arguments over it. Lost Swords never hurt me like this.
That wasn’t Bamco though who “experimented”. That was entirely Daishi, and he’s no longer here.

That seems like splitting hairs. Bamco was willing to trust the series to a guy who wanted to take risks. Isn't that a risk in itself?

That seems like splitting hairs. Bamco was willing to trust the series to a guy who wanted to take risks. Isn't that a risk in itself?
And look at the payoff. It nearly killed the series. I bet Daishi was pressured into a quitting, as that's part of Japanese business culture I've heard. Bamco probably wants to play it safe with Soulcalibur from now on, to make the most of the IP.

InsecureAgedGemsbok-max-1mb.gif

Tbh, I feel like the SC5 kids could come back later in the series with overhauls both in terms of personalities and movesets. Give some of them their own unique weapons and have others keep their weapons but just declone them. Give Natsu one Kodachi, instead of two, differentiate Leixia from Xianghua in the same way Cass and Sophie or Raph and Amy are, etc. I think most of the vitriol aimed at these characters is equal parts their status as replacements and their rather grating personalities. Remedy both of these issues and what's the problem?

Tbh, I feel like the SC5 kids could come back later in the series with overhauls both in terms of personalities and movesets. Give some of them their own unique weapons and have others keep their weapons but just declone them. Give Natsu one Kodachi, instead of two, differentiate Leixia from Xianghua in the same way Cass and Sophie or Raph and Amy are, etc. I think most of the vitriol aimed at these characters is equal parts their status as replacements and their rather grating personalities. Remedy both of these issues and what's the problem?
So basically make all new characters...

So basically make all new characters...
I mean, yes and no. Their personalities can be made less annoying without changing them entirely, so some aspects of them would still be intact.
But even if their personalities were totally altered, I never said anything about them not being the previous characters in name only. If that has to be done to make them palatable, then why not?

By that point it'd be best just to make all new characters. Preferable as well, because seeing new stuff feels good, at least when they're not replacing anyone or have stigma to them.

DOA6 flops & it confirms that Momiji won't return in DOA6 just like Hilde isn't returning in SCVI.

Back