Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Kitana’s new design is amazing tho and objectively superior to any of her previous models. I would prefer they do something like that with SC than stick with the same borderline ugly designs from 11 years ago lol. Taki especially needs similar treatment, I’d like her to look Asian again lol.

Kitana’s new design is amazing tho and objectively superior to any of her previous models. I would prefer they do something like that with SC than stick with the same borderline ugly designs from 11 years ago lol. Taki especially needs similar treatment, I’d like her to look Asian again lol.
Taki’s face honestly does look a little better in comparison to how it was in 4. It’s not great or anything but it’s at least a slight improvement.

To me the way NRS treats their character designs is a complete and utter disgrace. Somehow Quan Chi alone is allowed to be consistent, while everyone else jumps all all over the place with each new game. Simply disgusting.

I respectfully disagree, I LOVED seeing the characters age in MK10 and I love the new designs in MK11 - I love progression in design and I love seeing characters change and develop (even if that is laterally!).

's' all subjective tho

I respectfully disagree, I LOVED seeing the characters age in MK10 and I love the new designs in MK11 - I love progression in design and I love seeing characters change and develop (even if that is laterally!).
There is a differene between evolution and revolution, between progression/development and throwing old designs in a trashcan to create new from zero.

It is indeed disgusting. Look at how Sub Zero looked in his MK2 ending. And then in MK3 he resembled Christopher Reeves. There's no excuse for that sloppiness.

I must admit though that I have a bit of a 'crush' on MK11 Kitana. She's not consistent, but she is stunning!

“disgusting” is a bit dramatic dont u think... they’re not real people

plus didnt they use real life actors faces in the early MK games? they would have to pay tons of money to continue to use their likeness in every game after that even without using their mo-cap data

“disgusting” is a bit dramatic dont u think... they’re not real people
Not really. It's like a 'screw you' to fans of the series. "Your favourite character now looks.........like this! Whether you like it or not!"
plus didnt they use real life actors faces in the early MK games? they would have to pay tons of money to continue to use their likeness in every game after that even without using their mo-cap data
Well they created that situation for themselves at the end of the day. Changing Sub Zero to a clearly European looking man (and then back again) is, ok, I'll go with 'ridiculous' this time :D. Could have at least kept him Oriental even if it's a different actor.

It is indeed disgusting. Look at how Sub Zero looked in his MK2 ending. And then in MK3 he resembled Christopher Reeves. There's no excuse for that sloppiness.

I find what you say here hilarious considering Sub Zero in MK1 and MK2 was played by Daniel Pesina, the guy who originally played Johnny Cage who is Caucasian.

I find what you say here hilarious considering Sub Zero in MK1 and MK2 was played by Daniel Pesina, the guy who originally played Johnny Cage who is Caucasian.
Yeah I can believe that. With a guy in a mask though, you've got some wiggle room. Perhaps they should have just kept them masked up until they had a bigger budget :D

You don't have to go back to MK1/2 to see how NRS don't give a crap. They were poor back in the day and had to operate with limited resources using same actors for multiple roles and photoshopping their programmer guy's face on Sub-Zero in his ending because that was the only other Asian they had access to outside of the actor already playing Liu Kang.
Starting from MK9 they had tons of money and a fresh reboot point to establish canon designs once and for all. But they just don't give a single damn to do so.
Simply compare MKX Jacqui to MK11:
jk.jpg

Those are two completely different people with nothing in common except they are both technically black, except one is Brown Black and the other one is Black Black, so they couldn't even get her ethnicity right as well.

.... what?
Africa is the cradle of humanity, first humans emerged there and then spread everywhere else. For that reason Africans are more genetically diverse than the rest of the world combined (link). Basically people are used to lump all Black people into the same race just because of their skin color, but from a scientific perspective different ethnic groups of African people have more genetic differences between each other than for example an Asian and a Native American.
Going back to Jacqui Briggs, her MKX iteration looks Bantu while her MK11 iteration looks Nilotic.

Yeah, no I get that, I’m just saying I think you’re overanalysing & it’s not really that deep. We all know I love respecting the cultures and traditions of the places video games get their inspiration from (aka the tribe debate a couple weeks ago) but microscoping a fictional character on a genetic, DNA level..? I think that’s a touch too far

Simply compare MKX Jacqui to MK11:
View attachment 61440
Those are two completely different people with nothing in common except they are both technically black, except one is Brown Black and the other one is Black Black, so they couldn't even get her ethnicity right as well.

This 100%. Also Jacqui mk11 they literally simply made Cyborg female version

Yeah, no I get that, I’m just saying I think you’re overanalysing & it’s not really that deep. We all know I love respecting the cultures and traditions of the places video games get their inspiration from (aka the tribe debate a couple weeks ago) but microscoping a fictional character on a genetic, DNA level..? I think that’s a touch too far
It doesn't take a microscope to notice her lips going from thin to full, her eyes going from narrow to wide and so on and so forth. In this particular case those changes end up in a switch of ethnicity, but I'm not really sad about ethnicities, I'm sad about character design features jumping all over the place in general. Her boob size has nothing to do with ethnicities, but I'm sad about it as well.
I just want some consistency and integrity between games, otherwise it kills any kind of suspension of disbelieve. If developers don't care about their designs, why should I?

If developers didn’t care about designs they would have ported over the same models from MKX that they obviously weren’t happy with and gone from there. People dont pay for projects they don't care about.

They hired a team of creators to revamp Jacqui’s aesthetics AND movelist because she alongside many of the characters in MKX weren’t to the fanbase or the developer’s satisfaction. They obviously care lol.

It’s like the opposite of SC6.

Back