Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think SamSho characters are popular but only inside FGC, correct me if i'm wrong but there isn't a character that has a popularity level of Chun Li, or Scorpion for example. That's why it wouldn't make sens to me they put a Samsho guest in SC6, but still everything is possible with Bamco.

Like i think Darli Dagger is cool, but i'd still way rather SC would have its own Black woman Woolie icon rather than just put Darli in SC. Actually what would be sick is that they put a new character that would be an ancestor of Tekken's Raven/Master Raven clan, it may have Raven code on its name or not idk about that, preferably be a female in that case also.

If they're gonna put a guest, at least let it be someone who is super popular, inside and outside of FGC, someone like Geralt for example, someone like Artorias.

Last edited:
Cassandra and Amy are proof of that? I'm not the most experienced Cassandra but to my memory Cassandra was always vastly superior to Sophitia for brute force though I can't speak for her in detail and as someone who plays Amy, you couldn't be further from the truth.
I can play Raphael on a very base level with my knowledge of Amy, but nothing in depth. I mean hell, I barely even get his stances nowadays.
It sounds like a case of people slamming 6BBB and calling it clone without looking at what the characters actually do beyond the most simple of things.
Which hell, even in SC6 the most simple of things are quite different now.

I understand perhaps some fear that Cass wouldn't change enough though for the entry, but I can't really say its something I'm worried about. Amy even if she's considered bad is far from a clone and they went through the effort of preserving her moveset and recreating Viola's moves in a way that works for a Rapier, which in my eyes from Crystal ball to Rapier I find it hard to say Amy is in anyway proof of not being different enough.

Same goes for Yun/Hwang.
I personally had lots of fun with Hwang despite some similarities and moves at the times, but Yun always felt like a nuisance to get working for me, honestly even now, X feels a lot more close to home with Hwang than Yun to me at least.

Each to their own I suppose, but in SC6's case them being unique seems to be what I truly feel for better or worse.

I really don’t think you guys are being realistic at all.

I know they’re not the same I’m only playing Sophitia because Cassandra isn’t here.
And I know Amy is different from Raphael if you pick up and play.

All of us here will buy the season pass that much is obvious.
But it’s not just the 100 (if that) people on this thread you need the masses and if you advertise what looks like variations of the same weapon all in one season pass people are going to be less likely to buy.

• People that aren’t hardcore fans like us.
  • That know the lore and story.
  • That know the variation of the same weapon are different.
  • That have played every other SC game.
  • Can name at least 5 pro SC players.
Etc

If we want this game to grow, nostalgia can’t be the only thing we build on.

I’m being realistic, I know fans don’t like that but SC isn’t in a Luxurious position right now.

With the assets they have from SC3 new characters wouldn’t be as “expensive” as a new guest if you lot are so opposed to them.
PS have options.

But if you advertise £$25 worth of variants to the average consumer it will effect sales.

Last edited:
And if, somehow, we end tomorrow without a Cassandra trailer?

BQM6jEZ-UJLgGUuvrNkYUCG8p-X1WhZLiR4h-oxkqQctxHjH72V6iSoKkCcNBETQ4xJz0xdIStgoYSPD6RI_jA
I wish mofos would. I have direct contact with ISIS & AlQaeda.

I
I agree with this point, that's why i think they need to add more new characters, and when i say new characters i don't mean Guests.

I would prefer new characters over a guest any day of the week!
But I just hope they don’t make Season 2 the “variation pack” because those characters would have to be alarmingly different from said counter part.
Which would be a huge amount of work in itself because they weren’t built like that from the get go.

Recycled assets that have a different weapon type for the basis of a new character would gather loads more interest.

I really don’t think you guys are being realistic at all.

I know they’re not the same I’m only playing Sophitia because Cassandra isn’t here.
And I know Amy is different from Raphael if you pick up and play.

All of us here will buy the season pass that much is obvious.
But it’s not just the 100 (if that) people on this thread you need the masses and if you advertise what looks like variations of the same weapon all in one season pass people are going to be less likely to buy.

• People that aren’t hardcore fans like us.
  • That know the lore and story.
  • That know the variation of the same weapon are different.
  • That have played every other SC game.
  • Can name at least 5 pro SC players.
Etc

If we want this game to grow, nostalgia can’t be the only thing we build on.

I’m being realistic, I know fans don’t like that but SC isn’t in a Luxurious position right now.

With the assets they have from SC3 new characters wouldn’t be as “expensive” as a new guest if you lot are so opposed to them.
PS have options.

But if you advertise £$25 worth of variants to the average consumer it will effect sales.

No, there's definitely realism here I think, I just happened to misunderstand where you were coming from I think.
I assume you mean clone in the sense of how the general public see it correct?
In which case I do agree, it will come off that way to some people. Its why I think Season 2 was intentionally made to contain unique weapon users to attract people more broadly. I'm not disagreeing with you on that.
Simply the notion that the characters are genuinely clones which is what I interpreted you were saying.

While I do think the series could do with new characters to freshen things up and attract potentially more kinds of people I think guests get in the way of any meaningful improvement since we're always wasting a slot on someone we'll never see again and doesn't even contribute to the franchise.

But when you say:
"Original weapons should be priority as there’s only so much difference you can make to those characters.
Cassandra and Amy are proof of that. "
It doesn't quite give the impression you're even talking about the general public, it flat out looks like you're saying the characters are clones. I think everyone here knows some people outside will just simply look at as clones.
Pardon my misunderstanding however.

The least I can say, is season 1 was meant for the SC fan base, even if it failed. The character popularity would imply as much to me. I do think they would have been wiser to do the unique characters first however, as some people genuinely want to see unique weapons and find it boring and repetitive without more unique ones. I don't disagree with that at all.

However when it comes to the people who would mindlessly yell clones on a completely serious note, I'd rather they don't even come along for the ride, they weren't going to contribute anyway in my eyes and I don't think they should even be considered a target audience anyway. The problem is about it looking boring to people who just want to see unique weapons, not people thinking characters are clones imo, the people who would think that with a straight face are not going to continually spend or maintain interest I imagine.

mTc4ClC.png

variants/variations
Hwang and Aeon are effectively a given. I’m not sure if anyone is disputing that.

Hwang is representing a style we don’t have in SoulCalibur VI, despite the fact that originally he was a variant of Mitsurugi (SoulBlade), and then a variant of Xianghua (SoulCalibur). That being true, he wasn’t really a variant of either Xianghua or Yun-seong in his SoulCalibur III appearance. He was very firmly his own thing, with or without Yun-seong. But we don’t even have Yun-seong, if you wanted to claim a variant, due to Assassin (who would evolve into SoulCalibur III Hwang) having some inspiration from Yun-seong.

Aeon is a variant, though he’s a unique variant that no one else can really do the same as him, due to his lizard status. It seems very unlikely that it will be dual axe wielding, fire breathing, Kratos angel wing having Aeon from SoulCalibur V, but a return to his shield form, when Aeon was a variant of Sophitia. His primary weapon would be a sword (Xi Sword is clearly in his story art), even, with axes as secondary selections. So this is a third sword and shield wielder, and yet, all three will be quite different. I’m expecting Aeon to be far more advanced than Lesser Lizardman, being the most reptilian he’s ever been, to really sell the uniqueness.

Yun-seong and Setsuka are not variants, and they are highly requested and beloved.

Yun-seong was absolutely introduced as a unique character, instead of leeching off Hwang. He would be a Hwang variant in the same way that Cassandra is a Sophitia variant. Which is to say, not at all. Him being a “hard sell” when you already have Hwang in the pack gets outshined by his sheer popularity. More people are aware of Yun-seong simply due to SoulCalibur II being the most popular entry point to the series. The only way it would be suspect would be if Hwang and Yun-seong were released as a pair together, and there’s no way that they would do that. It’s helped further if Hwang is first and Yun-seong is third, to give them some distance.

I really don’t think I need to offer any defense for Setsuka, so we’ll move on. The only thing I can add is that they may wish to “finish strong”, like they’re doing with Cassandra right now, to keep people on the hook, as to why she would be in the third pair.

Li Long and Rock, then, are likely the hardest sells, I’ll grant you that. But it’s also because of that, that it makes the most sense for them to be released second, in the middle of the pack. Their inclusion is in the interests of completing the classic cast, as only them being missing would be incredibly suspect. But let’s dive in.

Li Long, as I mentioned before, has a couple of different options. He can wield dual nunchaku, like his SoulCalibur III appearance, and he has more uniqueness going for him than the other variants. His style is also very composed and precise, compared to Maxi’s flamboyance. That, or he could take up the three-section-staff, to be something totally different, which would also lend itself to being more grounded and “strong” compared to Maxi’s agility.

Rock is the one that is truly the hardest to justify, considering that Astaroth is a golem crafted in Rock’s form, and now more than ever, Astaroth took a lot of Rock’s traits, considering that Astaroth was the heavy hitter and Rock was the grappler. They both had both before, don’t get me wrong, but there was a clearer divide, where Rock had far more grapples, and yet SoulCalibur VI’s Astaroth has more grapples than ever before, so it’s hard to say what Rock can possibly bring to the table. This may very well be the weakest link of season two, but they may also be able to pull something off to make him stand out. Look to Seong Mi-na for inspiration that it’s possible.

Getting these six, the only characters left we would not have would be Algol, Dampierre, and Hilde, and they’ve got to save someone for SoulCalibur VII.

Rock is the one that is truly the hardest to justify, considering that Astaroth is a golem crafted in Rock’s form, and now more than ever, Astaroth took a lot of Rock’s traits, considering that Astaroth was the heavy hitter and Rock was the grappler.

I do wonder, I've been thinking if its a possibility for a while now, but I do wonder if they'll throw Aeon's style onto Rock.
I don't expect it entirely, but it seems like a waste not to do that under the assumption we'd be getting Sword & Shield Lizardman.
Even then, they're going to really be reworking it even then if Rock gets it due to some of the absurd things Lizardman can do due to being a Lizardman.

I do hope the Aeon fighting style is preserved though, I really do.

I don’t really have words for this. They’ve given Zasalamel so many Abyssisms, and Abyss was so negatively received that he was never given the time of day for SoulCalibur IV, swept under the rug, never to be seen again, that anyone would want him back for real, that’s just baffling. There’s always someone, I suppose, but that was the clonest clone that ever cloned. Zasalamel with black hole powers -> Abyss. And SoulCalibur VI has those powers and can even stop time. Abyss would be even more frivolous than Rock, and I didn’t even make that consideration when I was talking about him just now.

I do wonder, I've been thinking if its a possibility for a while now, but I do wonder if they'll throw Aeon's style onto Rock.
I don't expect it entirely, but it seems like a waste not to do that under the assumption we'd be getting Sword & Shield Lizardman.
Even then, they're going to really be reworking even then if Rock gets it due to some of the absurd things Lizardman can do.

I do hope the Aeon fighting style is preserved though, I really do.
I have had this consideration before. A dual-tomahawk style would be very fitting for Rock, and if they kept the Kratosisms, they might could justify it by being Native American rituals or something to that effect. They were never lizardlike to begin with. I’d definitely be okay with it.

The “problem” with this, though, is that they made it a point in SoulCalibur VI to rebuff that Astaroth was a perfect copy of Rock, which we knew already, but why the original would be dual axes and the “perfect clone” would be one massive axe would be something of a plot hole.

Hwang and Aeon are effectively a given. I’m not sure if anyone is disputing that.

Hwang is representing a style we don’t have in SoulCalibur VI, despite the fact that originally he was a variant of Mitsurugi (SoulBlade), and then a variant of Xianghua (SoulCalibur). That being true, he wasn’t really a variant of either Xianghua or Yun-seong in his SoulCalibur III appearance. He was very firmly his own thing, with or without Yun-seong. But we don’t even have Yun-seong, if you wanted to claim a variant, due to Assassin (who would evolve into SoulCalibur III Hwang) having some inspiration from Yun-seong.

Aeon is a variant, though he’s a unique variant that no one else can really do the same as him, due to his lizard status. It seems very unlikely that it will be dual axe wielding, fire breathing, Kratos angel wing having Aeon from SoulCalibur V, but a return to his shield form, when Aeon was a variant of Sophitia. His primary weapon would be a sword (Xi Sword is clearly in his story art), even, with axes as secondary selections. So this is a third sword and shield wielder, and yet, all three will be quite different. I’m expecting Aeon to be far more advanced than Lesser Lizardman, being the most reptilian he’s ever been, to really sell the uniqueness.

Yun-seong and Setsuka are not variants, and they are highly requested and beloved.

Yun-seong was absolutely introduced as a unique character, instead of leeching off Hwang. He would be a Hwang variant in the same way that Cassandra is a Sophitia variant. Which is to say, not at all. Him being a “hard sell” when you already have Hwang in the pack gets outshined by his sheer popularity. More people are aware of Yun-seong simply due to SoulCalibur II being the most popular entry point to the series. The only way it would be suspect would be if Hwang and Yun-seong were released as a pair together, and there’s no way that they would do that. It’s helped further if Hwang is first and Yun-seong is third, to give them some distance.

I really don’t think I need to offer any defense for Setsuka, so we’ll move on. The only thing I can add is that they may wish to “finish strong”, like they’re doing with Cassandra right now, to keep people on the hook, as to why she would be in the third pair.

Li Long and Rock, then, are likely the hardest sells, I’ll grant you that. But it’s also because of that, that it makes the most sense for them to be released second, in the middle of the pack. Their inclusion is in the interests of completing the classic cast, as only them being missing would be incredibly suspect. But let’s dive in.

Li Long, as I mentioned before, has a couple of different options. He can wield dual nunchaku, like his SoulCalibur III appearance, and he has more uniqueness going for him than the other variants. His style is also very composed and precise, compared to Maxi’s flamboyance. That, or he could take up the three-section-staff, to be something totally different, which would also lend itself to being more grounded and “strong” compared to Maxi’s agility.

Rock is the one that is truly the hardest to justify, considering that Astaroth is a golem crafted in Rock’s form, and now more than ever, Astaroth took a lot of Rock’s traits, considering that Astaroth was the heavy hitter and Rock was the grappler. They both had both before, don’t get me wrong, but there was a clearer divide, where Rock had far more grapples, and yet SoulCalibur VI’s Astaroth has more grapples than ever before, so it’s hard to say what Rock can possibly bring to the table. This may very well be the weakest link of season two, but they may also be able to pull something off to make him stand out. Look to Seong Mi-na for inspiration that it’s possible.

Getting these six, the only characters left we would not have would be Algol, Dampierre, and Hilde, and they’ve got to save someone for SoulCalibur VII.
If they're adding six characters to Season Pass 2 then I highly doubt they will exclude Hilde. In a gameplay standpoint, her moveset is even more unique than Hwang (compared to Xianghua), Aeon (compared to Sophitia and Cassandra), Rock (compared to Astaroth), Yun-Seong (compared to Hwang), and Li-Long (compared to Maxi) which are five of the six characters you listed. Although I'm more hyped for Hwang and Aeon, there is literally no other character to compare Hilde to so she and Setsuka actually has the most to offer.

As much as I would hate to say it, if there is a character in your list to be excluded then it would be Li Long since he is the least relevant character. I really would have loved to see what Bandai Namco could do with his character though. And if the inevitable guest character is added (as much as I'd hate to see it happen, it's more likely than not) then it would probably be Yun-seong who's the odd man out since he wasn't part of the original Dreamcast lineup and doesn't offer a moveset as unique as Setsuka and Hilde. If there are no guest characters (which I would prefer) then I expect Yun-seong to make it.

Even though EVO was a success and Okubo put on a lot of good work for the game, it looks like the higher ups on Bandai Namco aren't too invested in its success as we saw with the Bandai Namco Twitter blunder which excluded SoulCalibur VI from Tekken 7 and Dragon Ball FighterZ in its ad campaign. It's still make or break for the series and I doubt they would hold Hilde back to save her for later when she has a lot of fans out there waiting for her return. I'd say they're going all in.

Aeon, Hwang, Rock, Yun-Seong, Setsuka, and Hilde
or
Aeon, Hwang, Rock, Setsuka, Hilde, and Guest

@artard4321 — Why is Rock so high on your chopping block list? He’s easily offering the least of the six I posed, unless he does preserve the dual axes style. Is it because of “STONE”? If yes, and I’m assuming Hilde is your “YELL”, then “STAR” is for (guest star), I’d suppose. It’s not that I don’t agree that Hilde is unique and would sell, it’s just the prospect of having a “complete” roster combined with the huge narrative push that SoulCalibur VI has that keeps her out, in my mind.

Yes, Hilde got a mention in Libra of Soul, but she’s sent out her soldiers to scout, not entering the battlefield herself until Algol arises, as was her original story, as they’ve remained faithful to everyone’s story so far, save Zasalamel, it would be weird to change for Hilde too, a human with no exceptional powers. Zasalamel sending a message through time is plausible, Hilde getting something similar is not.

Was on a ten day vacation expecting a Cassandra reveal when I came back home...
Today may very well be the day. Stay tuned, for “soon” may be upon us. It is a legend long spoke of in this region, but as elusive as Salia “Han” Dürer. Spies from Steamwind and Birds of PSN have seen the best evidence of soon’s existence, though: Cassandra’s divine artisan breads may be available to us all... Soon™.

They could even bring in aPatroklos and explain it from narrative standpoint so there is completely no reason that they couldn't bring in Hilde. Not only is her character definitely more unique compared to majority of character's left out but also she is a female and those tend to sell better. There is a market for her so I don't think they won't bring her back if that oh so mystical SP2 will indeed come into fruition one day

They could even bring in aPatroklos and explain it from narrative standpoint so there is completely no reason that they couldn't bring in Hilde. Not only is her character definitely more unique compared to majority of character's left out but also she is a female and those tend to sell better. There is a market for her so I don't think they won't bring her back if that oh so mystical SP2 will indeed come into fruition one day
Even though the idea of a toddler Patroklos using Setsuka’s style is hilarious, no, they really couldn’t work that in from a narrative standpoint. They aren’t retconning things, they’re revisiting things in an attempt to do them justice with current technology, as well as establishing a central canon narrative.

I’m not going to be so ridiculous as to claim that it’s impossible that Hilde makes it into season two, but it’s my personal opinion that she won’t, all things considered. I may be wrong, and I’m not an authoritative source; I’m just a very dedicated fan, with one of the bigger reasons I enjoy this series being the story, and they are preserving history as best they can. Hilde entering the battlefield to stop Algol is a keynote of her story, and I believe they’ll keep that intact.

Even though the idea of a toddler Patroklos using Setsuka’s style is hilarious, no, they really couldn’t work that in from a narrative standpoint. They aren’t retconning things, they’re revisiting things in an attempt to do them justice with current technology, as well as establishing a central canon narrative.

I’m not going to be so ridiculous as to claim that it’s impossible that Hilde makes it into season two, but it’s my personal opinion that she won’t, all things considered. I may be wrong, and I’m not an authoritative source; I’m just a very dedicated fan, with one of the bigger reasons I enjoy this series being the story, and they are preserving history as best they can. Hilde entering the battlefield to stop Algol is a keynote of her story, and I believe they’ll keep that intact.
Nah, just slap in some time travel or portals and voilà! You have a totally working explanation for aPatroklos to be in this game. Would be a good explanation? Hell no! But it would be an explanation nonetheless.
I just keep in mind that we don't know who decided which character comes into the game and if those who do have mostly profit in their minds then Hilde is way better choice than majority of other missing cast members.
Tho I get what you mean and I also hope they will try to keep as much story integrity as possible because so far it really feels like it should (aside from Aval organisation which is pure horseshit but thats just my opinion(?))

I always wished they made Bangoo a bit older, make him look like that sexy Native American from Last Mohican and make him use a single or double tomahawks. It is tropy but that is a trope we do not have in this game
It could have been a thing for SoulCalibur V, alas...

not sure if they'd do this, but i hope 'stone' refers to bangoo rather than rock. in my head he'd play like his father but more agile and flashy.
Bangoo would be feasible for using the Aeon dual axes style, too, if they felt changing Rock to do so would be too lateral of a move. It might could be a nice surprise, but it feels like Bangoo is on the same train as Salia, Dürer, Jacker, and Kalnypolok, characters permanently doomed to storyboards, side stories, and concept arts. Maybe seen in-game as a custom character, but not likely beyond that.

Regarding the Xi sword and Shield they only have to be items that he carries, they don't need gameplay representation. Aeon can simply have his lore expanded so that he has a history of dual welding axes before being turned into a lizardman and uses them in SC6 when we play him. As for his new abilities in SC5 there's nothing lore wise to say he only got them at that time period, his new abilities are only implied due to what we have seen him do in past games. The wings are the only things that I would say he developed after the events of SC4 but the rest can be in SC6 as is. I mean look at his designs from SC3 and SC5, they're near enough identical so it's not as if he mutated into something vastly different during the events of SC5.

Lizardman Aeon Design.jpg

Last edited:
Back