Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So I'm a bit curious since I see virtually no one talking about him, but how well received was Groh? Are there people who genuinely like him as a character?

I hate his design for many reasons.

But he won me over with a very interesting story and fun gameplay even if gameplaywise, he ain't Top Tier or near it.

He is Soulcalibur's Cable/X-Man. Too many things in common between Groh and Cable if you know Nathan Summers character.

Okay, I did a quick input delay experiment. I didn't do this very thoroughly so this could be off by one or two frames.

SC4 PS3 didn't have better offline input lag than SC6 on PS4. It seems to pretty similar, with it possibly being 1-2 frames worse. I got similar results in SC5 but with much higher variance in input delay, with the best being same as SC4 and with the worst being 2 frames slower.

Playing against the same opponent in SC4 and SC5 (with the game showing a 5-bar connection. I'm not sure what ping I get to the friend, but it should be somewhere between 30ms and 60ms), I had 5 frames (aka 83ms) more input lag in SC4 than SC5. I couldn't compare to SC6 as the game somehow refused to establish a good connection between us. I dunno why (normally SC6 works fine for us).

With the ping to my friend being pretty darn good, it makes no sense that SC4 fiddled around for an extra 83ms before showing an in-game re.

Okay, I did a quick input delay experiment. I didn't do this very thoroughly so this could be off by one or two frames.

SC4 PS3 didn't have better offline input lag than SC6 on PS4. It seems to pretty similar, with it possibly being 1-2 frames worse. I got similar results in SC5 but with much higher variance in input delay, with the best being same as SC4 and with the worst being 2 frames slower.

Playing against the same opponent in SC4 and SC5 (with the game showing a 5-bar connection. I'm not sure what ping I get to the friend, but it should be somewhere between 30ms and 60ms), I had 5 frames (aka 83ms) more input lag in SC4 than SC5. I couldn't compare to SC6 as the game somehow refused to establish a good connection between us. I dunno why (normally SC6 works fine for us).

With the ping to my friend being pretty darn good, it makes no sense that SC4 fiddled around for an extra 83ms before showing an in-game re.

How are you even doing the test because in my experience SC5 hides it's lag with built in delay. I have SC2, SC4 and SC5 on my PS3 with SC4 being the closest to SC6 in terms of delay which has the quickest response. If you're using a PS3 emulator then I get the feeling you're not actually getting real hardware results.

How are you even doing the test because in my experience SC5 hides it's lag with built in delay. I have SC2, SC4 and SC5 on my PS3 with SC4 being the closest to SC6 in terms of delay which has the quickest response. If you're using a PS3 emulator then I get the feeling you're not actually getting real hardware results.
It's the same method I used for comparing SC6 PS4 input lag compared to SC6 on PC.

I record SC4 online on PS3 while recording SC6 on PC. I press buttons at the same time on both systems (in case my timing varies, I look at the average of all the results). Then I boot up SC5 online on PS3 and do the same thing with that. My intention was to include SC6 numbers, but the game somehow decided to give me a bad connection to my friend.

This isn't exactly a great method, but it's the best I could think of using my setup. And even though it could be off by 1-2 frames, it still gives me a general impression of what the difference is like.

@FluffyQuack

I think we're looking at this from two different angles. You're looking at it primarily from a online experience while I'm looking at it primarily from a offline experience. Comparing offline PS3 SC5 to offline PS4 SC6 the difference betwen input is as clear as night and day with PS4 SC6 being the winner.

@FluffyQuack

I think we're looking at this from two different angles. You're looking at it primarily from a online experience while I'm looking at it primarily from a offline experience. Comparing offline PS3 SC5 to offline PS4 SC6 the difference betwen input is as clear as night and day with PS4 SC6 being the winner.
I did record offline matches too. But the numbers from those were so similar to SC6 PS4 that I wouldn't want to make big conclusions without doing a more thorough test. Either way, I'm honestly surprised SC4 and SC5 offline doesn't seem to be better than SC6 PS4 offline considering how bad that is.

I like how Grøh plays. He was my main until Cassandra came back. I dont think his design is as bad as some people say, but i dont think it's amazing or anything.

Speaking of Cassandra, as I so like to do, I'm surprised they never used her wandering in the Astral Chaos as an excuse to put her into crossovers like Project X Zone.

I made a small trainer thing for SC6 on PC.

It has a feature letting you force the AI to be at a specific difficulty (if you play Versus un-modded, you actually get a randomized difficulty each match but the game doesn't tell you that).

Another feature I just added is forcing both 1P and 2P to always be human-controlled, letting you play through the story mode content but fighting a friend instead of the AI:

Download link to trainer: http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=897&pid=19870#pid19870

I like how Grøh plays. He was my main until Cassandra came back. I dont think his design is as bad as some people say, but i dont think it's amazing or anything.
His gameplay surprisingly isn't that bad aside from the presentation of it. I also don't think that Grøh's design is actually ugly as much as his design is just too inconsistent when put next to the rest of the cast. His design is so over the top that he sticks out like a sore thumb. He really doesn't look like a SoulCalibur character and looks more like a character that belongs in Blazblue or a Tetsuya Nomura designed Final Fantasy game.

If you showed me a picture of Grøh before SoulCalibur VI was revealed and told me he's a character that shows up on a DLC for Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy XV then I might actually believe you. If you told me he's a character for the upcoming SoulCalibur game then I would have called it fake or be insanely disappointed after being shown enough evidence that he is.

It actually pisses me off how much they didn't care when designing him. They didn't research much of anything about the Scandinavian region at all. No concepts, motifs, none of that. They were just like "we designed something that looked cool" and then slapped Norwegian on it just because. Even the name doesn't work.

It actually pisses me off how much they didn't care when designing him. They didn't research much of anything about the Scandinavian region at all. No concepts, motifs, none of that. They were just like "we designed something that looked cool" and then slapped Norwegian on it just because. Even the name doesn't work.
And the face. For Teutates sake - even his face looks more like K-pop star than a Northern European

I made a small trainer thing for SC6 on PC.

It has a feature letting you force the AI to be at a specific difficulty (if you play Versus un-modded, you actually get a randomized difficulty each match but the game doesn't tell you that).

Another feature I just added is forcing both 1P and 2P to always be human-controlled, letting you play through the story mode content but fighting a friend instead of the AI:

Download link to trainer: http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=897&pid=19870#pid19870
That’s pretty cool. Does this also let you control your mercenaries in Libra of Soul? That was one of the silly things about the mode. But it’s still neat and useful to get a better look at characters in story modes.

firefox_HSBTm3lSEZ.png

(Machine translated from this article)

They're teasing something again... Unless it just means this is the last Red Bull Gaming Sphere event for this year.

That’s pretty cool. Does this also let you control your mercenaries in Libra of Soul? That was one of the silly things about the mode. But it’s still neat and useful to get a better look at characters in story modes.
I haven't tested it, but it should let you control mercenaries. The code change I made forces 1P and 2P to always be human-controlled.

A part of me is tempted to see what happens if I force 1P and 2P to be AI-controlled and then try online play.

View attachment 67988
(Machine translated from this article)

They're teasing something again... Unless it just means this is the last Red Bull Gaming Sphere event for this year.
I was dwelling on the way they worded that part you drew the arrow to. To me, the phrasing, even though machine-translated, almost makes it sound like this may be the last event featuring the roster as of Season 1. That is to say, the next gaming event we get would contain Season 2 content (ie Hilde). This further means that Season 2 may be coming out sOoN. Kappa

Back