Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

in terms of moveset
This was an overall comparison, not just moveset. If it were just moveset, I would agree that Hwang and Yun-seong were more on Sophitia and Cassandra level. Hwang and Xianghua did have quite a bit in common in SoulCalibur, but in SoulCalibur III, he was pretty much removed from Xianghua and much closer to Yun-seong, though still definitely his own thing. For extrapolation, I was only considering most recent appearances for this ranking, which is why Li Long and Maxi are ranked so low Azwel.

But Korea has such a non-role in the story that Hwang and Yun-seong are practically identical in that they both seek Soul Edge to protect their homeland, though Hwang got wise much quicker while Yun-seong remained an idiot for three games in not figuring out that Soul Edge was Bad News Bears. And their physical appearances are quite similar too, as was pointed out.

Li Long and Hwang were quite differed in SoulCalibur III, especially Arcade Edition, to the point where it’s baffling that they didn’t make it into SoulCalibur IV like Amy did...
Disappointing maybe, but it shouldn't be baffling to anyone. SCIII:AE has 27 fully developed playable movesets*, whereas SCIV has 31. In other words it had more characters despite being made years later, on a new system, in a new engine, with all the increased work and costs those factors entail. I wouldn't call it baffling under those circumstances that they realistically had to draw the line somewhere on who got included. Would Hwang and Li Long have been my first choices? Probably not. But the fact that they had analogs who used the same weapons as them did reasonably put them towards the front of the line for the chopping block, by nature. Of course, I'd have probably chosen Hwang and Li Long to stay over Yun-seong and Maxi, had it been my choice.

For that matter, I think either Hwang or Li Long would have been a more defensible choice than then-newcomer Algol, but clearly he was integral to that game as they designed it. In retrospect, either would also have made for a better use of resources than Yoda, but landing licensed Star Wars characters must have felt like a bit of a coup, and I suppose they just got carried away with their ambitions without considering if all of those choices were great. Anyway, collectively I have to think the Star Wars characters were quite good for that game in terms of over-all sales figures generated from casuals--even if Yoda was awful, Vader was received as a mixed bag, and only the Apprentice was broadly embraced by a portion of the hardcore.

Still, none of this was/is surprising exactly, let alone baffling: they can only add so many characters to one game as a practical/resource management matter (and the most damaging chapter of the franchise's history in terms of its standing in the competetive scene occured when they failed to keep their plans within the scope of their capabilities in the previous console release of SCIII**). And in fact, even to this day, SCIV still has the largest roster of fully-developed playable movesets of any game in the franchise--even once Season 2 wraps, SCVI will still be a couple of characters short of this threshold. So I think it's unreasonable to pretend that anybody who got left out in SCIV was an affront to sense: the devs clearly packed in as much as they possibly could. And the balance-to-number of characters comparison for the game is even more impressive, considering the size of the roster (doom combo caveats of course standing).

*CE has 25 if you count Abyss and then a gaggle of pseudo-developed experiments that don't pass muster for actual serious play.
**Of course, today, with the DLC continuing support/multiple season pass model, this can be avoided, provided players/consumers get over their sense of entitlement at getting everything and the kitchen sink at launch whether it makes realistic fiscal sense for the publisher--which thankfully they/we (the consumer) seem to finally be doing.

Can't hwang and Yun get along? Maybe just get rid of fat mina and have them get together as the series new power couple. X and Kilik? Overplayed. Sieg and Hilde? Boring. Sophie and Cass. Generic. Leixia and Maxi? Honestly, kinda cringe. But Hwang X Yun? Now that sounds like a duo.

Hwang will be malfested to spare Yun or Mina some shit in his ending. Yun-Seong will murder him in SC7 to fully replace him and marry Mina in SC8.

Their child will be the main character of SC9. Xiba
EeLYJTaWkAExLbh.jpeg

Can't hwang and Yun get along? Maybe just get rid of fat mina and have them get together as the series new power couple. X and Kilik? Overplayed. Sieg and Hilde? Boring. Sophie and Cass. Generic. Leixia and Maxi? Honestly, kinda cringe. But Hwang X Yun? Now that sounds like a duo.

Its really sad because the hostilities and anger that fans have towards certain characters would have been alleviated if the base roster wasn't 20 + inferno and Tira dlc.

This process of waiting 4 months for a limited pool of characters is only going to become more miserable if we get to season 3 and Rock and Damp are leaked.....

Back