Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Dissidia

Premium Member
We got an idea of his outfit from Seong Mi-na's Soul Chronicle. i think they will use that as a base and show a much more detailed version when he is announced.
but that was before Season 2 was even planned. I am thinking he will get a brand new outfit for his own story chronicle. I just can't decide if it will be in line with his previous outfits or something more radical.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
but that was before Season 2 was even planned. I am thinking he will get a brand new outfit for his own story chronicle. I just can't decide if it will be in line with his previous outfits or something more radical.
It still stands to reason that it’s very possible that Hwang was planned for base roster and didn’t make it, so his delayed appearance could still be reflective of his art, since that could have been how he was going to be in the first place. I’m fine with it being this, no need to go super gaudy or over the top for his design or his style. Hwang has a classic look like Sophitia and Mitsurugi, and it works well for him.

Dissidia

Premium Member
It still stands to reason that it’s very possible that Hwang was planned for base roster and didn’t make it, so his delayed appearance could still be reflective of his art, since that could have been how he was going to be in the first place. I’m fine with it being this, no need to go super gaudy or over the top for his design or his style. Hwang has a classic look like Sophitia and Mitsurugi, and it works well for him.
I will simply agree to disagree about this, I see no evidence that Hwang was ever intended to be base roster (maybeeee lizardman). I also think people would not like paying for a character who has the same outfit from an older game (I somewhat expect the SC1 outfit to be free like sc4 setsuka/hilde/etc).

Sophitia and Mitsurugi do have classic appearances but they are still different enough to look new. I guess so far the Season 2 DLC designs have been more "gaudy" so I am a bit nervous over how he will look.......

DanteSC3

[14] Master
I will simply agree to disagree about this, I see no evidence that Hwang was ever intended to be base roster (maybeeee lizardman).
Fair enough, but the strongest point I feel is that Hwang does not appear in any battles, while Han-myeong does, using Mitsurugi’s style. Hwang could easily have done so as well, but it seems a deliberate decision to not allow him to do so. Both Arthur and Han-myeong have unique features that cannot be recreated without modding, so Hwang could have well had these also. On top of that, why hire a voice actor for him rather than just use a custom character voice like Arthur and Han-myeong do? If you don’t believe, I can’t force you, but it’s how I feel.

I also think people would not like paying for a character who has the same outfit from an older game (I somewhat expect the SC1 outfit to be free like sc4 setsuka/hilde/etc).
His outfit remains rather unique, even if it is mostly rehashed from a previous game. It wouldn’t be the only one that isn’t just a touched up remake rather than a new outfit, but his being DLC might have some influence on this. Though I would be fine with him having his outfit as shown in the story, and a Yun-seong outfit as DLC, to at least offer a little something for Yun-Seong fans until they might can reclaim him in season three.

Sophitia and Mitsurugi do have classic appearances but they are still different enough to look new. I guess so far the Season 2 DLC designs have been more "gaudy" so I am a bit nervous over how he will look.......
And Hwang’s design in the art is also a bit different, having elements from both SoulCalibur I and SoulCalibur III. Using the other arts as a comparison, too, there’s sure to be other unseen detailed upgrades on his outfit, where it wouldn’t simply be a copy and paste job. I am hoping for a grounded style and a grounded outfit, nothing “gaudy”, as you put it. We shall see.

Dissidia

Premium Member
My theory is that they wanted to make more seasons but were very pessimistic before launch, hence why they didn't pigeonhole certain characters into being CAS clones.

Hwang is only in due to the popularity poll imo. If he's DLC the people who voted for him in 2015 saved him