Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

If there's a Season 3, these are my choices.

1) Rock/Bangoo - Broken Destiny type Rock or brand new character Bangoo with a slugger/grappler style like Rock.

2) Li Long - SC3 AE Li Long was awesome and seeing him again here would be a blast. Double nunchaku action FTW!!!

3) Algol

4) Brand new character. Would love a Sai user as it is overdue.

5) Edgemaster - The last character and the original all weapons mimic.

Current Lizardman style is completely broken, the only reason it exists is to be a placeholder for the story. No way they will add it anywhere else.
Counter argument, Inferno. They might just keep any characters made with it from going online.

You know, thinking more about Lizardman as a potential SC6 S3 character:

Primary Weapon
My vote for the Macuahuitl:
• the savage/brutal nature of this type of weapon matches the savage/brutal nature of a cold blooded reptilian monster.
• Neat to see some mesoamerican weapon sets / move lists
• Could be paired with a shield, imo a scaly lizard-person needs no defense and actually looks more badass without one.

Lizardman is like the 2nd largest character, and a lumbering giant should have a fitting weapon.

Secondary weapons/mechanics
His Tail should be an official weapon (like Yoshimitsu's sashimono war flag / battle standard).

Lizardman could return with a BIG empahasis on his tail attacks. This would imply his BT stance is actually pretty dangerous (like Zas or Voldo)..
Lizardman already had quite a few lunges / forward leaps, so getting into a BT stance could be developed intentionally into a valid strategy.

Cosmetically there are options such as
• Normal Tail
• Spiked Tail (thagomizer)
• Tail club (ankylosaur)
• forked tail
• Tail with metal ornaments
Plus you can recolor weapons now, so you can make it match the body's scales

Lastly, there's potential for Lizardman to have some sort of healing / self regeneration mechanic. I don't think it necessarily has to be recovered HP like Yoshimitsu's drain grab. Seeing a scaly cold blooded brute regenerate would-be fatal wounds would only serve to increase his bad-assery.

Personally i'd drop the feathered wings 100% (it makes him seem too angelic, and frankly is strictly cosmetic).
Fire breathing I'd drop, but then again I'd be ok with the single UB fire breath.

A venom/poison mechanic seems a little bit too much in the Soul Calibur series but project soul keeps surprising us. It might compliment Lizardman having hp recovery turning him into a decent turtler (bad pun since they're both reptilian)
Hear me out... Burnt angel wings!! Like a whole fallen from grace thing, from human to cannibal lizard... Thingie

I wonder if the update in the information about Hwang being the last of Season Pass 2 instead of the game itself was meant to intentionally hype people up. I mean, there is no way in hell they would change that without knowing people would go crazy about it. Regardless, I wonder which guest character would we have in a Season Pass 3, we had Geralt in the base game, 2B in the Season Pass 1 and Haohmaru in Season Pass 2, so another pass would likely bring another guest. Assuming Season Pass 3 is the last one, maybe they will go out with a bang and bring a Dark Souls character.

I'm pretty inspired by how much more incredible Project Soul made Hwang, who I thought was going to be a very vanilla character.
Some thoughts on what gameplay mechanical direction Rock can take should he end up as a S3 character

Grapples:

• Rocks should bring back a modified "limb-targeting" feature. More specifically, he can focus his attacks on a certain region of the opponent, and the payoff after repeatedly damaging a specific area involves stuff like unlocking special combo enders for example. SCIV has done this somewhat with the H/M/L armor being broken if struck repeatedly at that height (leading to a boring minor +% damage) and maybe this can be dialed-up like this:

- The opponent could have 3 height levels, and Rock's subsystem mechanic would involve him targetting one of those body sections that would give him special LH or CH animations once the opponent has suffered enough damage at that level.
  • The "high" level would be head/neck
  • The "medium" level would be torso / arms
  • The " low" level would be legs
- One way to achieve this, Rock could have a 2-part grapple system where the ender of his choice involves an animation of him attacking the opponent with his warhammer at the targetted area (1/3 chance to grapple break)

Variant of grab enders could be (ie off a backgrab where Rock knocks them down)
  • Choking the opponent with the shaft of his warhammer across their windpipe, as Rock sits on their back and starts cranking (high)
  • Trapping an opponent's outstretched arm and smashing his warhammer across their elbow/shoulder like a blacksmith working the forge (medium)
  • Entwining the opponent's leg around the shaft of his warhammer and forcefully snapping their knee outwards (low)
More miscellaneous thoughts:
- He might end up looking too much of a sadistic crippler, but thats something I’m cool with.

- I would prefer it if he didn't do pure wrestling grapples and his grabs should incorporate his weapon as much as possible (like a forceful lever or a smashing surface). Even something as cliched as piledriving his opponent headfirst into his warhammer on the ground is good enough.

- Outside of grapples, he could have strings that lead to 50/50 mixup ender (doesn't have to be mid/low mixup) as long as it forces the opponent to take a defensive action or else Rock maintains advantage (ie linear steppable high that is + on block)

- Astaroth already has a ton of grab variants, and the only thing left I can think is maybe one of those advancing crouching "ultimate tackle" style shoot grabs in Tekken. That or an obnoxious grounded Rock grab (like crybaby, except he trips you) which I don't think anyone really wants to deal with.

- Another grab variant I can think of is stage specific grabs (not like those in the DoA / MKvsDC gimmicky ones) ,but that he can have grab animations that involve walls or low walls. Maybe unique grabs off a wallspat or even something like a grab that dumps the victim gut-first across a low wall. Unfortunately I think this would require a lot of technical changes and would probably be buggy as hell.

Animal Totemism
• Will Rock do the predictable thing and have self-buffs where he draws upon the strength of wild animals ?

I haven’t seen any temporary buffs where the character actually gain 8wr and dash speed perks (I don’t think soul charged anime Groh counts since teleports and like qualify more as special movements) but how about this:

A callback to whatever beast hide pelt skin he wore in previous versions? Throwing some ideas out there:
  • Bear: Plain ol’ damage buff since every choice should have at least one simple straightforward option to help newcomers
  • Rhino: Increased guard gauge damage / armor on some moves / attacks now wallsplat+ringout easier
  • Bison: Increased dash distance / 8WR speed / Increased grab range / grabs smaller window to break
• For the love of god I hope his Soul Charge doesn't involve a Bloody Roar beastmode transformation (this would be either horrifically terrible or terribly awesome, with no in-between).

Thoughts ?

I might be in the minority of wanting Rock with a straight forward moveset in the same vain as Astaroth. A mid grab attack would be too strong though as you wouldn't be able to punish it like you can with high and low grabs, the only one that I can think of that throws from a mid is Siegfried's sword stab throw, so I imagine if Rock was to have a mid throw it would be something similar to that.

I do want some throw options from his rhino charge toss as that's probably his most recognizable signature move of his, plus aerial grabs are sick as fuck to do. He would also benefit having a tech crouching 1A snake edge that not only knocks down on normal hit, but can spin a grounded opponent to launch them from their head or legs. I would also make it safe, probably minus 10 on block giving you a reason to abuse it. His jumping ground pound should ground stun his opponents, and with it's tech jumping properties and ground hitting mid would make for nice mixup with that 1A snake edge I mentioned.

As for general throws, I do think all of Rock's as well as Astaroth's throws should come out faster than the rest of the cast, make them i14 or i16 and give them the reach of Astaroth's command grabs. I'd rather have something like this rather than another gimmick. Hwang is great and has by far had the biggest departure for a moveset there has ever been for a Soul Calibur character, but his yin yang gimmick make you feel like you're playing an RPG, plus the way it works it punishes you for playing optimal.

I just realised that both Amy and Cassandra, whose weapon types are already present in the base game have some sort of "gimmick" moves like Amy's "Rose Perceptions" and Cassandra's "Divine Force". So I think they might give Rock the same treatment if his weapon and moves are similar to Astaroth.

Meh, Astaroth is a brute without gimmicks.

Rock is the mold that Astaroth is cloned from, so no gimmicks, just superior power and savagery from Rock.

BTW, let me see....

Gimmicks,

Mitsurugi - Shura stance
Hwang - Talisman/Aura and Lifeforce management
Cervantes - Bullet count
Siegfried - Dark Force at low health
Kilik - Soul Charge drains health
Maxi - The Star system
Nightmare - Free Soul Charges with Night Terror
Yoshimitsu - EX moves extensions
Cassandra - Divine Powerups
Zasalamel - The Curse system
Tira - CODA
Setsuka - The level up system as you fight
Amy - The roses
Hilde - The Regalia system
Geralt - The Magic system with the Glyphs
2B - The knowledge system
Haohmaru - POW Boost

So far....

Rock is the mold that Astaroth is cloned from, so no gimmicks, just superior power and savagery from Rock.
My only comment would be that Astaroth is always going to have more raw strength than Rock (just visually he's larger plus he's got inhuman origins being a golem/frankenstein monster).

Rock can make this up by being a meaner powerhouse that befits a technical grappler.

On the other hand, Rock invoking the strength of the wild is not something that would surprise me (and no, not like the Heart Planeteer).

For CAS parts, instead of the hentai outfits, they should give us some outfits from SCL.

latest

latest

latest

Back