Strategy/Playstyle Discussion + general Q&A

aB and a is a top tier moves for Nightmare.

44K is a good move because it has a low risk and damage of being whiff punished. Good for RO. It is worth a try if you are losing.

2A and GS is a weak setup, but it is better than nothing.

(CH)4K..K can be done by reaction. Just needs time to train. Not seeing the CH, but seeing the opponent's movement. Thanks 4K(hit)K's forced guard. By the way, I think it is like what the Kura is trying to do from his video? I'm not sure if he think like that. Unfortunately, I'm not ready yet. =(..... So many things I have to train. I suck.

FC2A? I don't know why I use it. If I must find a reason for it, I will think that it can mix-up with FC2B and it is a good finishing low move with a surprising range. Good to be used after 2B on hit in good range. lol..... I always give the moves a reason. Forgive me.

Hey guys just recently started playing against my first decent Mitsu. Is there anything in particular which i need to look out for? I mean when to punish, when to attack, whats hes weak against etc. His stance changes have got me a little bit confused. Cheers. :)

this is a match up question lets stick with those questions there...

honestly you should take a look at HK vids... we have TOO many NM vs Mitsu matches.

but in general... relic A = sm, H... so you should duck the first hit... despite being and A move the first hit is vertical.. so GS A works well here... kills a lot of options...

but it really depends a lot on the range mitsu is at

as for mist... if he's far away a good 33B will do the trick... if close do 66K.

-LAU

yeah please continue in matchup discussion. I would move the posts but it seems that I've forgotten how, or else some other problem (says the URL I'm trying to move the posts to is wrong).

yeah please continue in matchup discussion. I would move the posts but it seems that I've forgotten how, or else some other problem (says the URL I'm trying to move the posts to is wrong).

My bad. Ill ask the question over there.

11K (blocked) tap 2 or 8 then hold G quickly

learn what moves you can step from and what side to step vs what character

i need help T_T

sometimes i'm able to land this combo :
1A6 , GS KK , (W) , 4KK , (W) WR B , NSS A+B , GS KK (W)
(this is where i get a restarted good "first' wall splat like the one i get from the first GS KK in this combo )
(combo continued) 4KK , (W) 3A2A6 , GS KK (W) .

i'm able to land it SOMETIMES . but why is this ? after the NSS A+B's GS KK it gets the "bad" wall splat if it fails .

why was i able to get the "good" wall splat in some situations ?

thanks .

NSS A+B is aircontrollable in that combo anyway because there is a GS KK before hand somewhere

just do 1A6 GS KK (wall) 44B its way better. against some characters you'll need other combos because of whiffing problems, but generally speaking 44BB is a no brainer here

I use to use aB step sometimes, but for some reason, aB has exited my game all together.

How much do you guys step with NM? With Tira and Zas, in some matches, I'll be stepping over half the time, but with NM, like, 10% of the time, despite people claiming he has awesome step. 11K step, 9k step, I still get hit. I use a lot of B+K though, depending on the opponent.

Maybe I should use a CAS.

you should step a ton with nightmare. for example...

on block:
11K, 66B, agA, 66A
on hit:
11B

9K into step not that good cause the block recovery is too much

aB is hard to put into my game because it's a linear high move

Ok, of the vids I have seen of other NM users it seems to me that NM is used most effectively as a turtle based character. Stay back, relax, whiff punish, grab, grab some more, tech trap, win. But how effective is his rushdown game? Has this question been asked before on these forums? I wanna know this because this had been something I had been thinking about for a long time and trying to answer on my own ever since SC3. But now I wanna know what other people think.

No NM is not a turtler. He's really explosive and works best in rush down, He relies a lot on mind games to open his opponent up and hope they mess up into huge damage. You have to think on the fly to play around his safety, but if you can get good spacing and no what to do up close he's amazing rushdown.

Rushdown is hard against someone who knows anti-NM, but one of the basic things you can do that is still effective is use GS attacks to make the opponent start blocking. Once they start doing that, you can cancel GS into a standing throw / WR B mixup.

Nightmare can play the range game, but a lot of his good moves are high, and his mids (although damaging) are pretty unsafe so you gotta be really careful and be wise with your movement and spacing.

I think NM can be played with a balanced and versatile style that focuses neither on aggression nor defense. With good spacing, stepping, guarding, and attack application he can be a threat at any range.

The character does of course have some limitations, and I don't think "rushdown" is a good term to use for him. Against standing opponents Nightmare is about mixup into knockdown not hit and block flowcharts. His real pressure and abiltiy to string attacks together is focused on his okizeme options which allow him to control the flow of the match until he guesses wrong and the opponent hits him or blocks.

I am new fan of the move 22AB (use it to nm left for more evasive properties).
If u hit at close range with CH 22AB u can follow with a delayed 3B for tech trap and then tech trap more post 3B.

use it after the usual step setups: 1K(hit), 11B(hit), 2A(hit), 11K, aB, SC NSS A+B, WS K, 66B+K, 3[K]

everyone knows that 2A beats every transitions to GS from 66K, your opponent will now spam 2A after blocking 66K.

vs amy and raphael: their 2A whiff at any range, just do a 3B or 33B to whiff-punish these fools
vs cass, ivy sword and coil, soph, taki, talim, gloomy tira, xiang and yunsung: their 2A whiff only when you hit far with 66K

shoudl work even better after 33B with the pushback, enjoy!!

It doesn't work after blocked 33B because of the terrible recovery time. I think it did in SC3 though.

Hey guys Engared tells me you NM users all like to help eachother out quiet alot (wish seig was the same). Since We haven't posted any clips on youtube lately you wont have been able to tell but in case you wanted to know take this from me, Engared has gotten a Shitload better and I think he has some of you to thank for that :). BD probs helped a little too haha

Back