The Good of SCV

Features you liked the most?

• Total voters

Kai_lombax

[13] Hero
Yeah, well I know I may come off as a SCV hater from some of my comments in other threads but that's not actually how I feel about the game and with the ugliness of all the negativity towards the game, I thought it would be nice to make a topic that honors the good of the game in your opinion. If a thread like this has been made, I apologize but yeah, for everyone who played/plays SCV, what are the things that you thought were good about the game. And it can be anything. :)

For me, there are six things I personally really like about the game.

-Gameplay is nice and fast (I adjusted to the slowed down gameplay of SCIV but it was nice that they sped up the game this time around. The quickstep/backdash features were innovative too.)
-Online Rooms (I like how they modified the online net rooms what with the titling and text chat box while you watch the players play. That was a very cool feature I thought.)
-Brave Edge/Critical Edges (At first I didn't care for them but I actually like them now. I think it's better then the critical finish where it would pretty much suck for a defensive player. I like how they made each of them stand out. My personal top 3 critical edges are Viola, Ivy, and Raphael's.)
-Arcade Routes (I like how they separated them into country routes. Very fun I thought. I hope in the next game, they include CAS characters who follow the design of whatever country you are playing through like they did with the quickplay mode.)
-Viola (Yes as a lot of people probably know, I am a big Viola fan and I like her type of gameplay. It's very fun coming up with combos for her.)
-More CAS options (I like the sticker/pattern feature and I also like how you can color weapons in the game. It makes me wish Setsuka's full style was in the game because I'd so want to color her 2p weapon "Ridicule" haha.)

There are other things but those are the general ones I really enjoy. What about you guys?

I really like the pace of the game. It isn't as fast as SC1/SC2, but it isn't the tank controls of SC4 for that matter either. For me at least, the pace is superb. It's fast enough so that when both players are chaining their frame advantages back and forth things get crazy intense, but not so fast that I'm left questioning what just happened. Because of this, I enjoy watching tense, close matches as much as playing them because in those moments of the most intensity things always appear to be going much faster from a spectator view: it never feels as fast as it looks in replays.

This is my completely subjective opinion though. Feel free to disagree :)

Lets see...Music,graphics,Elysiums stage, yoshi,zwei and alpha's combo's is all I liked. Wait forgot, I also liked my following secondary chars: Aeon,raphael,xiba,maxi,siegfried,kilik, and nightmare.

I love the pace of the game. If they could somehow lower the damage but keep the pace, I would marry it.

I like the meter and BEs but dislike CEs. I think CEs present too much damage for what it is. Apart from that I like everything meter reliant, seems balanced to me.

Netcode is superb. Except when games drop but I would take that over constant lag. Even at 3 bars most of the time the game is playable.

I like the variation in fighting styles of the characters. I didn't play any other FGS before SC5 so I don't miss anyone. Although, the 3 mimics seem unnecessary but I doubt they were supposed to be there.

All in all I love the game and will carry on playing it. I guess the fact I haven't played the older ones mean I'm not missing anything from older editions.

BE's are good and GI meter is good but CE and JG not so good imo.

CE might as well be a single B that takes away half your health and JG makes GB moves useless at high level.

Maxi's new move set.

CE because it makes Maxi's tech trap game bananas.

JG because it gives Maxi free big damage depending on the move that is JGed.

Awesome netcode.

CaS options.

High damage.

More guaranteed damage.

Edit:
Gotta throw in Natsu as I have always hated Taki so for PS to make me like her is a very strong positive.

Honorable mentions- 66Aeon, Everything about Patroklos and Leixia combos.

1. The music is outstanding. One can not help but feel epic when one fights on a stage with Yoshi's/Nighty's/Hilde's/Zwei's/everyone else stage song. 9.5/10

2. Beautiful graphics. As someone who's into the aesthetic value of things, I have to admit that the stages and characters are beautiful. When my fellow gamer girls saw the trailers and stuff last yr for this game, they were very impressed as well.

3. Zwei. He mended the gaping hole in my heart when I lost Talim. <3
I hope he didn't die when he got stabbed by Omega Pyrrha ;-;

4. Online is fast and furious. Except when you're on PSN and you get disconnected. (I should have gotten SCV for my Xbox. Regrets!)

5. Fast pace during gameplay. Just wish the dmg was lower lol.

-dat soundtrack. holy SHIT
-CaS is nice
-new character designs are cool, diggin Kilik's bird shtick and Patroklos is awesome from the neck down, Hilde has only gotten more badass
-the control scheme is relatively easy to work with. V was my first SC and I've eased into it pretty well
-anything that comes out of Maxi's mouth is absolutely hilarious

CaS: I loved they greatly improved it! But of course they can do more and I cannot wait to see what they do in the next game!

Online: BEAUTIFUL netcode, very much improved since SC4! Its not perfect but its very smoother 3/4 of the time I play~Too bad there are so many scrubs on there though xD

Story: I was short :p but I enjoyed it actually ^-^ PS should have been given time to finish.

CE/BE: They're alright~ theyre a nice addition~

Characters: I was sad to see some veterans go but Im quite pleased with the new cast~

Online: Decent netcode.
Meter mechanics: I only like the metered GIs and BE attacks.
Quick step: I can actually move in this game.
Music: It's alright.

That's about it.

Music: Epic, but can also be relaxing and soothing. (e.g. Yoshi's theme.)

Meter: Keep BEs and GI, but no CE.

Costumes: Most of the costumes are really cool.

Quick step: What Solo said :P.

DAT NETCODE

Gameplay: Well paced and exciting.

CAS: So many options.

Haha very nice answers guys. :)

I'd like to add more to my little list because there are some things I did remember... lol

-Music: Can't believe I forgot this one but damn the soundtrack is good this time around but in all fairness, I like all the soundtracks from each game. But yeah, there is just something nice about this one. I really like Viola, Zwei, Raphael, Elysium, Natsu, and Hilde's music the most. But all of the songs are great.

-Z.W.E.I.: How can I forget this guy ;_; But yeah, I may not be all that great with him yet but I enjoy using him and I can only hope that in the next game, they give him more moves and stances because I wouldn't want to see him go anywhere.

-Natsu: Yes I will admit that I nagged about her in the beginning from a design aspect but I have to say, she is fun as hell to play. Though I wish her CE was more interesting, she is pretty cool.

-Stages: Just beautifully designed. Pretty much every stage looks incredible even better then the stages in SCIV in my opinion (Though I did like the Phantom Pavillion lol). If I had to choose a top 3, I'd choose Maxi's, Edge Masters, & Algol's the most. But yeah, all around impressively designed stages.

-CAS height options: I know it causes hitbox issues but from a design aspect, I think that was cool to do. For the CAS artists, it gives their characters more individuality in my opinion.

And that's a wrap for now haha.

I think I'll pop in some things I really enjoy about 5

1. Gameplay: I absolutely love how fast it is compared to IV, Guard Crush is a good way for me to get through the defense of my friends when I am too scared to throw them, and Sidestep is a great way to really get around your opponent.

2. Music: Absolutely one of my favourite sound tracks for a SC game. Six of my favourite pieces from it are: Till Fate Writes My Epitaph, Sword of Resolution, Daybreaker, Sleepless -An Untamed Beast-, Regalia and Samsara -The Wheel of Eternity-.

3. CaS: I don't want to go into much detail, but basically I just love a lot of the improvements made to it. My Top three favourite improvements to it are: the return of under armor, middle armor, and over armor (I missed that in IV), Colourable weapon streaks and weapons, and the larger amount of ways you could edit the character's body (I hope they let you do that to the face in VI if they make one).

4. Costume Design: A lot of the characters have very well thought out designs in this game. One thing I always look forward to in between Soul Calibur games is how each character is going to look in the next one. I think some of my favourites are: Raph (both costumes), Siegfried's 1P, Kilik because it contains some of his SCIV outfit and an epic bird helm, ZWEI (both costumes), and Hilde's 1P (like 2P as well but I always love her 1P simply because its awesome seeing female characters in heavy armor).

5. Characters: As usual Soul Calibur manages to make characters I really love. It was very sad to see a lot of them not return, but I have a feeling I may get to see them in the future (just me being hopeful). If not then I can always pop in a previous title and give them some attention. ZWEI is probably my favourite of the new cast because of his very unique fighting style (even though I suck as him).

That is all for me at the moment. I'll probably add some more in later if I think of anything else. I can't give an opinion on Online really, but I should try it out (I'm not big on playing with people I don't know so I usually stick to playing with my friends in the same room).

The Good of SCV.

What might there be? I suppose that:
  1. The Music has definitely impressed me. Most of my favourite particular pieces are from the SCV range.
  2. The CAS is one hundred times better than it used to be, I am extremely happy with that.
  3. The CEs and BEs definitely made it more exciting to play.
  4. Online play is a lot better, however there is still some stuff that needs sorting out.

The Good of SCV.

What might there be? I suppose that:
  1. The Music has definitely impressed me. Most of my favourite particular pieces are from the SCV range.
  2. The CAS is one hundred times better than it used to be, I am extremely happy with that.
  3. The CEs and BEs definitely made it more exciting to play.
  4. Online play is a lot better, however there is still some stuff that needs sorting out.
It's not much is it? I will also add what I did not like in particular:
  1. Lack of character movesets. An absolute HUGE chunk of many returning characters movelists have been removed. Not happy about that, PS.
  2. Three mimic characters. This is pure laziness, PS. You could have had more new characters like Bangoo or more returning characters like Cassandra.
  3. The Story Mode was definitely better, however it could have been so much longer and it could have included every character. It shocked me that we get to see only a few of the roster in it.
  4. Legendary Souls is absolute trash. All the CPU does is spam low attacks and stuns and whatnot until you die. Really does not test your ability within the game, it's only mindless spam.
I'm sorry that I wasn't more impressed by your "reboot" PS, but it didn't make the cut for me. More time could have been spent on this to make it a spectacular game, which PS did not do. I find IV more fun tbh.
I wasn't happy about the reduced moveset either but I decided to just let it go. All I hope is that next time, they expand on the movesets which I'm sure they will.

Back