Viola General Discussion / Q&A

I think this character might be seriously broken now. I'll come back once I've tried her out in a few actual matches

I dont think she's as broken as people are saying. She's still got plenty of weaknesses and bad match ups to ensure this. Her mid range game is still really bad, her long rang game is still awful for her. Characters like Asta, nighty, sieg, ivy, and hilde are still an uphill battle. Auto techs and auto GI's seriously hurt her too. These buffs have helped her, but i wouldnt say they made her broken. Not even close. She is still the same character, just a bit more threatening than she was before.

Also her orb mechanic is still iffy. This is something they actually should have taken the time to fix. Spending meter only to have your orb not work properly can mean the difference between losing and winning a match, and she still has that to worry about.

Reactions: LP
I'm not saying she's broken because of minor damage buffs. I'm talking about actual SCIV Hilde-level broken, because of a setup she's got. I want to confirm in some proper matches (my Viola isn't up to scratch yet) but it seems ridiculous to me.

Erm, she's got some buffs but I don't really think you know what the term "broken" means. Viola isn't a character where if you learn a combo you basically autowin. She still has a fair few weaknesses. Her various weaknesses included:

Shitty damage
lack of physical range
lacklustre speed
Little safety
No answer to backstep and sidestep

damage has been fixed, safety has been improved, range has been made better and she's a bit better with sidestep

BUT

she's still free to:

long range characters
high damage characters
characters with a lot of push back
backstep

try beating a good astaroth with her and then tell us she's broken

I think she started off low tier, moved to mid tier when we learned her tricks and mind games, then she moved down to low tier again when people learned how to space against her and ignore her mind games, and now she's moved up to high tier because of how the damage and safety compensates for some of her weaknesses.

I have no idea how she's "broken". Considering the architecture of the character and the way she plays, I don't know how she could EVER be broken unless her mixups are unavoidable and her range includes the whole stage.

Reactions: LP
Straight 50/50s into 100 damage/situation reset is not shitty damage.
And she rapes backstep now. With or without the orb.

Confirm the setup before you start claiming she's broken the game?
Sure

After knockdown (and possibly at other times) set orb just behind opponent (using VO AAB, BBB, B+K, etc.)

VS B+K BE to make orb approach

Now almost any hitstun will combo into ball launch, including 1K and various Mid- attacks.

After launch, allow landing damage, and then do 66B, VO 66A+B B. There are almost definitely even stronger combos.

I hope I'm wrong because Viola is a really cool and well designed character. But surely this is too much damage for a 50/50? I can only hope it is impractical to setup in an actual match, but at the moment to me it looks entirely feasible.

Sure

After knockdown (and possibly at other times) set orb just behind opponent (using VO AAB, BBB, B+K, etc.)

VS B+K BE to make orb approach

Now almost any hitstun will combo into ball launch, including 1K and various Mid- attacks.

After launch, allow landing damage, and then do 66B, VO 66A+B B. There are almost definitely even stronger combos.

I hope I'm wrong because Viola is a really cool and well designed character. But surely this is too much damage for a 50/50? I can only hope it is impractical to setup in an actual match, but at the moment to me it looks entirely feasible.

I'd actually experimented with this - and it never worked that way. Having the orb set and trying to combo into 1K never lead to ball launch. Rather it always lead to turning 1K into a 68 damage low that left them standing.

However - remember how 6B+K interrupts throws in really weird ways? B+K BE does as well. If you throw them and the B+K BE hits during the animation it leads to a full launch this does HILARIOUS things with A grab in that if the orb is to your back left, you can B+K BE then A grab them, tossing them into it, getting a B+K launch, and granting you 66B 66A+BB for 126.

Unfortunately, B grab only slightly works here. If the ball is far, you'll kick them into it, but they only get launched as high as 2B+K BE normally puts people, with no followup available. If you do it too close, it just looks like a way cooler B throw as Viola will run up them as per normal and the ball connects in the middle - sending them into that smokey flying state, but Viola knocks them back to the ground with the third hit of the grab for only 86 damage ;( Back grab totally works though, and if you ever can, is a guaranteed setup on everyone but asty voldo and zwei.

Straight 50/50s into 100 damage/situation reset is not shitty damage.
And she rapes backstep now. With or without the orb.

How does she rape backstep? Seriously, going to play her at MLG and need to know.

And here's my results messing with B+K BE:

snip

I hate to be that annoying noob, but can we get the transcriptions for these combos?

Also, question about B+K BE, is there some trick to knowing when this move is actually going to hit (both the timing when as well as the how do you know it won't be blocked)? Just practice, or is it the same every time?

I hate to be that annoying noob, but can we get the transcriptions for these combos?

Also, question about B+K BE, is there some trick to knowing when this move is actually going to hit (both the timing when as well as the how do you know it won't be blocked)? Just practice, or is it the same every time?

Sure -

In order:

SET B+K BE 1K (Game treats this as a single hit move for some reason.)

SET B+K BE A+G (Hold G after the throw to reallign yourself. Viola gets all off axis after this hit otherwise.) 66B 66A+BB

SET B+K BE B+G (When orb is far behind the opponent)

SET B+K BE B+G (When orb is mid range behind opponent) 66B 66A+BB

ORB or SET CH 6AB B+K BE 6(A+B) (Release right after they hit the ground) 2B+K BE AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 66B 66A+BB

SET 6B+K 3K (6B+K hits here) B+K BE 6(A+B) (Release right after they hit the ground) 2B+K BE AAB 66B 66A+BB

SET B+K BE B+G (When orb is close to opponent)

SET SET 6B+K 3K (6B+K hits here) B+K BE 6(A+B) (Release right after they hit the ground) 2B+K BE AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE 66B 66A+BB

And no - there's no guaranteed way to know if the B+K BE will hit outside just seeing your opponent not guarding or using it in a combo such as one of the ones above. You have plenty of time to react for the 66B 66A+BB followup, and the 6(A+B) followup isn't too strict either. (just be careful you don't release the A+B too early.... or too late for that matter)

For the VS B+K BE 1K, they hit at exactly the same time. If you have 1K hit before the orb, then the orb will launch your opp for the huge combo I mentioned. Same with any other quick move with decent hitstun (i.e. not 2K)

snip
And no - there's no guaranteed way to know if the B+K BE will hit outside just seeing your opponent not guarding or using it in a combo such as one of the ones above. You have plenty of time to react for the 66B 66A+BB followup, and the 6(A+B) followup isn't too strict either. (just be careful you don't release the A+B too early.... or too late for that matter)

Thanks!

For the online players out there:

SET 6B+K B+K BE 44A+B hits for 169->180 if they do anything but tech left or right. Most online players I see tech backwards. This will literally murder them and has a chance to RO. =P

When using SET (Launch) AAB 66B 66A+BB as your basic juggle, trading this for SET (Launch) AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 66B 66A+B the extra BE seems to only add 15 - 25 extra damage. Do you guys think this is worth it, or do you think it is better to save the BE for B+K BE / 44A BE etc?

considering that 22B(BE) gives big damage even when blocked, with step nerfed quite badly so it can be easily killed with 44A(BE) and B+K(BE) buffed ridiculously it may be a good plan to shorten combos and fire other BEs more often. Im actually thinking on reworking my game plan to that idea, and maybe to start using spare meter for GIs if im ever a subject to rushdown. So yes, i think it may be worth it to give up lengthy combos.

For the online players out there:

SET 6B+K B+K BE 44A+B hits for 169->180 if they do anything but tech left or right. Most online players I see tech backwards. This will literally murder them and has a chance to RO. =P
Yeah I was playing around with this a little because I was always looking for a way to set up ORB 44A+B. But because she is very punishable if they left/right ukemi I had considered doing the 44A+B and blocking to cancel it as soon as her arms are raised, then going for a tech punish. But unfortunately I haven't stumbled on anything exciting for tech punish personally. I almost rather just go for the combo, but I want to believe there's something dirty here to be found.

Back