Viola Video Discussion

More specifically, good times to use :6::B+K: are after landing :8::A+B:, SET :B::B::B: or an ORB A-throw, or whenever you've blocked a move or are otherwise at advantage and in range. Don't get too predictable, though!

I also wouldn't do the SET :1::A+B:, :6::6::A+B::B: combo. I only really do SET :1::A+B: after :6::B+K: anyway, but if I hit with it normally, I would use a :6::B+K: mixup rather than complete the combo, because it's such low damage and can be escaped with an ukemi, putting you at huge disadvantage.

And throw moar!

Thankies, I'll try these few changes.

And yeah, I'll try and getting into that throwing habit too, thank you for the feedback! =D

Man, why does learning Elysium have to include something as technical as learning Viola

I'm still not sure I get it.
I guess it just comes with practice, but you're too hesitant, and you keep dropping combos. There were times when you would step his attack but then not follow up with a punish.

And above all, learn how to exploit SET :6::B+K:!

Whhhy's this thread dead? :( Anyway, since I just came back to playing SC5, trying to get better and all. Here's a few vids of my Viola. I been using her since SC5 came out. Im not up to date with combos with her. But yeah.. just wanted to share her with everyone else and a few good matches with her. :)

she's a pretty easy character.. and her combos are pretty basic to me.

she's a pretty easy character.. and her combos are pretty basic to me.
Yeah she's generally easy,, but in certain MUs its horrible for her regardless of player skill, whereas other chars can usually deal with MUs better than her

I'm wondering. As toilet is one of the best Z.W.E.I players, which Viola player can I watch for reference?
Any really.. I haven't seen one Viola player that has made me say 'WOW!'
Yeah she's generally easy,, but in certain MUs its horrible for her regardless of player skill, whereas other chars can usually deal with MUs better than her
Yeah she was like the most played until everybody seemed to figured her out

Yup exactly, I mean even though her 6B+K is amazing in certifying a min of chip dmg, her other tools can be dealt with when approached with 'know how'

People keep saying this, but it seems to me that all this "Know how" boils down to staying away till Viola makes a move (A.K.A The uninventive play,) or poking out of mix-ups (A.K.A I poke all day anyway.)

I have seen near on 0 character specific anti-Viola, it's all space and poke.

Either way, she went from a few combos for my Elysium, to my full-time secondary main. I love this bitch, and pokes and ranging seem to be easily dealt with if you just plain old play better than your opponent, whilst stuff such as certain anti-Prep options for my Raphael leave very little to outplay.

I'm wondering. As toilet is one of the best Z.W.E.I players, which Viola player can I watch for reference?

Just watch any of my vids. Though a lot of it you probably won't understand unless you can already play the game at a high level; there's usually a lot more going on than "x-attack* or *y-counter*. You can gain a good deal of knowledge as to how to deal with certain things too.

I have seen near on 0 character specific anti-Viola, it's all space and poke.

What constitutes as anti-character? I'll just go as far to say as there's a reason that Viola is considered top tier by many, many have picked her up, and I'm the only player who consistently does well with her. I'm playing aPat in tournament now for my own reasons, but lots of her MUs, if your opponent has any inkling of a clue what they're doing can seem to be impossible. Counting down the list, you've got aPat (yeah, this is pretty unwinnable...), Aeon, Algol, Astaroth, Cervantes, Ezio, Hilde, Ivy, Leixia, Mits, Natsu (once again, pretty stupid regardless), NM (pretty stupid again), both Pyrrhas, Raph, Sieg, Tira, Voldo, and even Xiba to an extent. And the fact is that many of them only become winnable due to Viola's damage and RO game.

I'll also say, though, that the game is not near being played at what I think the highest level will be and that neither most Viola players (to include myself) nor most people who play vs. Viola have gotten the MU completely down. We've still yet to even see a B+K BE punish in a tournament and most people still don't even know how to get around 6B+K setups or 44A BE on block. Not to mention the recent 8A+B spam at WB (which gets punished for half life by most of the cast).

I really can't agree with you that all those characters have such an advantage over her, but I do feel her different strengths and weaknesses differently.

My strengths as a player lie in execution and timing, so I managed some of her ToD combo the first time I touched her. In this regard, if you pick up a character and learn a full life combo in one go;you feel biased blindness to its weaknesses. Because of this, I can't comment too hard, man, but seriously;all of the above seems ridiculous to me.

I really can't agree with you that all those characters have such an advantage over her, but I do feel her different strengths and weaknesses differently.

My strengths as a player lie in execution and timing, so I managed some of her ToD combo the first time I touched her. In this regard, if you pick up a character and learn a full life combo in one go;you feel biased blindness to its weaknesses. Because of this, I can't comment too hard, man, but seriously;all of the above seems ridiculous to me.

I'm not saying they're hard matchups; I'm saying I could probably beat 95% of the people who play Viola with those characters (offline) and make them seem hard just because of the lack of knowledge.

Other than that, it's not the ToD combos that make you 'blind' (if that's all you needed, then we'd see KineticClash doing much better in tournaments than he does, as he has them down easy). Saying that, 'Since I don't have problems with *x* then *y* is silly'. I could go out and body most players (offline) with someone like ZWEI (who I don't even play) but that doesn't make him any better than he is. You're only as good as your competition and, if you're playing scrubs...that doesn't make you anything than better than a scrub.

A little sidenote too: In Chicago, we've recently had a Natsu player who claimed that he basically couldn't be touched on Xbox Live (the reason he started coming out to play) start coming to gatherings. I've only played him once but the end score was 41-1 (I gave him a match but he started teabagging and taunting like a jackass so yeah). This is just to further drive home the big fish small pond point.

lol
pfft, I do well with her as well,

btw there is an anti viola for IVY made by ring, most stuff can be transferred to other chars !

Zanaken, Viola is handicap, short arms, most stuff relies on 50/50 chances, her guard break dmg is meh, her pressure only decent when you have no idea how to evade. There isnt much she can do when she's outside of jab range,... ok she can do a BE combo, but thats situational and not efficient tbh.

I was sensing some strong Epeen waving myself ^_^ I can't say I'm above it myself.

I agree she needs to set up some 50/50s to get a lot of her stuff in, but you can't deny the sheer speed in which she can chuck out her mix ups. I honestly believe she's strong as fuck, and I don't understand why some of you disagree...

She is strong, but for her to have any strength she needs to be within claw range, she can only do so much playing solely with the orb. Best way to describe her is a like short ranger bow, close up shes devastatingly powerful, but outside of her range she is extremely weak,
E.G Mitsu could BB 6B at tip and it would be awkward for viola
the main point is, outside of in face range and combos shes nothing more than a gimmick

That seems like an odd example. I could just as easily QS his BB into a 22B BE 1B 3B - Death.

He got his BB? I ate chip damage.
I got my dodge? I get... well... Tastiness!

I wouldn't deny Mitsu's tracking, but QSing BBs, or JGing them, is child's play - Let's not deny that.

The move is not my point, it's her situation
when talking about char ability most people dont consider JGing, simply because it renders nearly every move useless
My point is outside of a certain range she has no threat ability
the reasons for lexia being viewed as meh, are the same for viola excl viola can juggle

JGing IS a major factor for me though, so surely Viola would be one of the best choices in that regard? If you have a good 50%+ JG rate in matches, would you rather be Viola, or Lexia?

I'm not going to say I always have a perfect JG rate, especially against people who just use awkward pokes, but it's like saying you don't want to play Alpha Pat because he's got some hard to execute moves.

Back