What would you rate SCV out of 10 ?

You all think too much on your ratings.

I give Soul Calibur V a 4/10.

My ratings are based on the number of astounding moustaches in the game. Dampierre brings it up three points alone, but I was severely disappointed.

The actual fighting itself feels way more satisfying this time round, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I ever did 3 and 4.

I don't even mind that it's thin on solo content, quick battle is simple and focuses on the fighting itself which I like. The tower stuff in 4 was complete nonsense to me.

But the 3 mimics... The sheer audacity... God there's just no getting over that... 6/10

Lol, am I one of few giving it a good rating?

8/10

Pros:
Gameplay
Character Creation (as usual)
Voice Acting for both English and Japanese are still memorable

Cons:
Singleplayer Content
3 Mimics (cmooon)
Removal of some characters (Why Cassandra...why...)

At first I was disappointed in the whole (not much single player content) thing, but then again Soul Calibur 2 only had still images for endings, a summary of what the characters did for openings, and just 1 cutscene in the middle.
Hopefully they will patch up the game. That timer in the character selection screen still takes up two slots. I'm really hoping they at least put Cassandra in one of them, along with maby Talim, Seoung Mi Na, Zassalamel, etc.
Above all, why 3 mimics... take out at least Kilik and Copy Sophitia and add two more, or hell just take out Edge Master and add one more character.

yeah i think soo but Ezio is already using a hiden gun lol and cervantes has one too
yeah 200 years is maybe too much lol but SoulCalibur is an fictional story so they can do like advanced guns never existed
But guns don't make the characters.
Honestly, how many characters would be fighting with swords in the early/mid 1900's? The WWI/WWII theme would be an interesting addition and could probably make for a pretty damn interesting story (like if Hitler found soul edge or something)
But then at that point, I don't think there'd be any surviving soul calibur character unless Cervantes was ressurected again, Ivy wound up being immortal, Algol threw some clothes on, and Inferno found another host for a new Nightmare.

I should stop rambling now.

A lot of people here don't seem to realize that Kilik and Elysium DIDN'T REPLACE ANYONE. When developers run out of time, you're usually just fucked. You'd have two more empty slots.

You should be grateful they decided to use Kilik and Elysium's art for mimics instead of just throwing them away because they didn't have time for the movesets. You weren't getting Talim or Zasalamel either way.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't bother, these people are listing "Just Guard is too hard!" and "Legendary Souls is too difficult" as reasons that make the game bad.

I'll have to give Soul Calibur V somewhere around a 6/10 or 7/10. It's not good but it's not bad either. I'll give it some credit where credit is due as far as gameplay, netcode, and CAS is concerned but the single gameplay, removal of some characters, and especially that abysmal, minuscule story mode lowers this games rating for me. I know we should be grateful to have another Soul Calibur game and I'm okay with that but right now, the series should totally consider a reboot, it's headed in that direction unless we get a SC6.

7/10

Pros:

-Most of the core fighting system is in place
-Brave Edge is a good addition
-Online features are up to par with modern fighters
-Better net code...

Cons:

-...that still is somewhat unstable. VF5 was more stable than this and that came out in 2007.
-Not a fan of meter based guard impact
-3 mimics and no Zas, Talim, or Yun
-Average training mode

8 out of 10 for me. Its a blast to play and I love the comprehensive CAS features, but I deduct a full point for the incomplete story mode and a half point each for missing characters and a low CAS item count.

-Better net code...

-...that still is somewhat unstable. VF5 was more stable than this and that came out in 2007.
I just feel like pointing out that this appears to be specific to the PS3. At least on my (old model) 360, I've yet to have a single disconnect that wasn't an intentional one by the opponent.

As for my rating, I'll give it a 7.5/10. Pros are the same as everyone else (netcode, CAS, the actual fighting), and my cons are...

- No Zas, Talim, or especially Bangoo
- Aeon sucks. I deduct a full point for this.
- Though I don't really care as much as a lot of other folks seem to, the lack of single-player content IS a malus. As for story, I was hoping every other character would have at least some level of character development.
- Guard Impact/Just Guard. Not because Just Guard is too difficult (although it is), but because replacing GI with the metered system has destroyed my old reflexes. Reflexes honed over four iterations of the game. Some changes are good, this is not one of them.

Honestly, they did a pretty damn good job considering they were being rushed to release. If they had another, say, 6 months of development, this would easily have been the best Soul Calibur ever released.

Hopefully they will patch up the game. That timer in the character selection screen still takes up two slots. I'm really hoping they at least put Cassandra in one of them, along with maby Talim, Seoung Mi Na, Zassalamel, etc.
Above all, why 3 mimics... take out at least Kilik and Copy Sophitia and add two more, or hell just take out Edge Master and add one more character.

This is all massively wishful thinking. ^_^

Voice Acting for both English and Japanese are still memorable
This is a con for me. The voice acting is not bad, it's just the dialogue the voice actors are reading seems to have been written by a 3rd grader with ADD.

Seriously PS, you admirably go through all the trouble with the guest character to make sure he "fits in with the setting and time frame" then you piss all over your hard work by having the characters say corny things that sound straight out of 1992. WTF.

8/10

Don't really give a shit about story mode/endings.

Only cons for me are Kilik and Elisyum being in the game and Algol's style not being cassable.

This is a con for me. The voice acting is not bad, it's just the dialogue the voice actors are reading seems to have been written by a 3rd grader with ADD.

Seriously PS, you admirably go through all the trouble with the guest character to make sure he "fits in with the setting and time frame" then you piss all over your hard work by having the characters say corny things that sound straight out of 1992. WTF.

Well, I didn't mean they were epic or anything like that. Just that they are quite funny. I died laughing when I heard my enemy on voice chat saying "I will carve! MY OWN FATE!"

I dono, even if dialogue is corney, sometimes it is too damn catchy to repeat. But that is just me X3

But guns don't make the characters.
Honestly, how many characters would be fighting with swords in the early/mid 1900's? The WWI/WWII theme would be an interesting addition and could probably make for a pretty damn interesting story (like if Hitler found soul edge or something)
But then at that point, I don't think there'd be any surviving soul calibur character unless Cervantes was ressurected again, Ivy wound up being immortal, Algol threw some clothes on, and Inferno found another host for a new Nightmare.

I should stop rambling now.

it would be an interesting fanfiction for sure
but i dont think they would make an sc game with this story or maybe ...nothing can really surprise me now about future SoulCalibur games lol

5/10, 5 points for great fighting mechanincs, etc

5 points missing for no single player content whatsoever

I just feel like pointing out that this appears to be specific to the PS3. At least on my (old model) 360, I've yet to have a single disconnect that wasn't an intentional one by the opponent.

As for my rating, I'll give it a 7.5/10. Pros are the same as everyone else (netcode, CAS, the actual fighting), and my cons are...

- No Zas, Talim, or especially Bangoo
- Aeon sucks. I deduct a full point for this.
- Though I don't really care as much as a lot of other folks seem to, the lack of single-player content IS a malus. As for story, I was hoping every other character would have at least some level of character development.
- Guard Impact/Just Guard. Not because Just Guard is too difficult (although it is), but because replacing GI with the metered system has destroyed my old reflexes. Reflexes honed over four iterations of the game. Some changes are good, this is not one of them.

Honestly, they did a pretty damn good job considering they were being rushed to release. If they had another, say, 6 months of development, this would easily have been the best Soul Calibur ever released.

It's not just ps3 as I'm on 360. To clarify, thus far ranked has been fine, but Player Match and especially Global Colesseo suffer from stability issues.

Pros:
-Improved CAS
-Gameplay mechanics, of course.
-New characters are pretty good in presentation and gameplay.
-Quick Match mode gives CaS characters some relevancy, so I'm glad that was included.
-Memorable Soundtrack, but PS has never let us down with a bad soundtrack for the series.
-Critical Edge's return was pretty pleasing for me, being a SE/SB fan. Brave Edge is an interesting addition as well.

Cons:
-Moves are heavily reduced or edited, but I understood that PS wanted to appeal to new players. Not much of a problem, but it can be too easy.
-Guard Impact/Just Guard. I think this was because people felt as though players were spamming the "Guard Impact" too much, which to me is no different than people spamming attacks. Just Guard was okay to include, but Guard Impact shouldn't require meter, especially if it was something that the majority thought was fine as it was on SCIV.
-The voice feature in CAS. Timestretching can be good for those that want non-human, or malfested characters, but when people want regular human characters that he/she takes seriously, it comes out as unpleasing. Really unpleasing.
-The whole bottom row of the roster. Obviously involved time constraints, so I understood that.
-The many plot holes in the story, and the lack of characters in it. Time constraints obviously.
-Not much single player content. Time constraints, once again.
-The lack of developed veterans based on this Timeskip. None of the veterans have "changed" physically. Hilde, while she has aged, looks almost the same. Amy, could possibly be an exception.
-The lack of older "new" characters. While I will say "time constraints", this is more of a "fanservice" thing.

Overall, the gameplay is good and can be fun, but as far as the presentation of the game, it is lacking compared to past games. This could be because, instead of the "arcade first, later consoles" approach from the past games, PS took the "console first, no arcade" approach again.

So I'll say 7.5/10. It's good, but it could have been so much better.

The game sucks ... HIGHLY disappointed....Gameplay is the only decent thing in the game.

Soul Calibur doesn't feel like soul calibur anymore... 3d street fighter game... They should have brought soul charge back it was the only game mechanic that was original with soul calibur.

The single player is horrible,

the music is boring except for Natsu's and Z.W.E.I...

The stages are also boring...

Character customization is also a drawback WHY THE FUCK does my character gain 30 pounds when you put stuff on him.

Online is good but i have only played 20 matches since release because i always get disconnected.

I don't know what Namco is doing but the japs obviously didn't work much with the game.

3 mimics is also a shame.

my mark 5:10

The game should have been a faster version of soul calibur III with brave edges, critical edge. Fuck PS screwed me once with soul calibur IV now with Soul Calibur V. If i was part of team PS this game would have been so much better.

Back