Why did you choose this character 2B your main?

Why did you choose this character 2B your main

Raph because I decided to take this crap seriously in SC2...

I like playing on 2P side, and he was the default choice so I picked him cause I'm a lazy fat shit.

I had heard how cool the soul calibur series was and 2 was about to come out. I looked at the soul calibur 2 stategy guide and thought Kilik looked awesome. That was it. Didn't really care how he played I his look was cool and became determined to be good and did alright for someone completely uniformed about the game.

If I were to pick based on fighting style I probably would have went with Yunsung because he reminded me of Hwoarang.

Well how far back do I really want to go with this? Lets take it WAY back to SC1 but I wont take too long... I used to play this in arcades when I was a total scrub... I played Kilik and Maxi... kilik for the range and maxi for the ability to mash and be unpredictable... then I went to college years later and they put a machine in the arcade and me and neo used to play there and I took up sig because I thought he was the best character in the game because of his stances and range combined... But I really used to play a scrubby everyone in that game because I used to play edgemaster alot against random scrubs at the arcade...

Then SC2 comes out and I go straight for nightmare because I want to keep playing him and then I bounced around to alot of different characters like I used Maxi, X and Asta for the next 2-3 years till the EC vs MW tourney where I went to losers and decided that I was going to stop trying to play like other "better" players and just run my own game... like using frame traps and setups others use is still fair game but I tried to copy like every little thing and I wasnt thinking enough about what I was doing... Then within like a month of that tourney I went back to Nightmare and stuck with one main for the rest of the game... there was naturally SOME counterpicking to be done in that game tho because playing Jaxel was a pain in the balls when you have to limit yourself to like 10% of your fucking movelist because step 33A in alternating/random directions makes almost everything whiff to one degree or another... you had to do so much more work to beat that character I just picked sophie and ran with it...

Then SC3 comes out and I main Sig for like a month or 2 before declaring him garbage and moving on... I bounced around till I think clash and then I picked sophie because she felt like a character that could play offense and defense really well so I could play her however I wanted to play... which ended up being really really offensive... There were a few times where I played X... I blame drugs and alcohol... and asta vs sophie being a bad matchup... yeah it was so shut up and deal with it... I only blame the drugs for that one... I used alot of them to deal with jesters for the run of that game... you never know how annoying the naysayers really are until your forced to deal with them for YEARS

Now SC4... Tried Sophie... thought she was garbage because the game changed and I didnt quite understand it yet... Went to Yun because nobody I knew played him for a main and he seemed good with the new SG system... Went to Cali... Picked up Voldo for 2 reasons... First I played Manta and when I was playing him I couldnt see a weakness to the character... like I would do one thing to counter and he would use something else to counter it and then I would try something else and there were answers for everything... even when you force him to defend his punish game was solid and hes got ranged chip tools for days and good SG damage so he can turtle well if you really want to... Then I was thinking about it and DMT stopped playing and scha moved to mass... so there werent any good people running voldo I could think of aside from goofus from mass... little did I know he was the next bandwagon character... But whatever the dude has so many tools I can find what I need and still do it a different way then the next guy... Let the bandwagon try to do what I do and get away with it..

Thats why I chose who I chose without all the drama from all those years... it was still fun but if I talked about all that I could write a fucking book

Back in SC1, my main was Maxi. I've always been a fan of Bruce Lee, so it was just really cool being able to play as someone similar to him in a fighting game. I was actually always wanting to learn Lizardman back then but he just didn't feel right for me at the time.

Once SC2 came out I was still using Maxi for a short while, but I felt it was time to move on to someone else. On my search for a new main I ended up playing Spawn. Spawn was my absolute favorite at the time because of how much fun and how badass he was, but he was banned in tournaments due to him being console exclusive, so I never ended up making him my main. Eventually I went to Talim and immediately felt comfortable with her style. Very shortly after I decided to finally learn Lizardman and I felt comfortable with him as well. So ever since early SC2, and during all of SC3 Talim and Lizardman have been my mains.

To this day even though I use 9 characters I consider Talim and Lizardman my mains, and my best characters, since I feel most at ease when I use them and they feel the most natural for me. And so far at major tournaments I have stuck to using only those two in the grand finals, and will probably do the same if I get to the finals at Nats or Evo.

In SC4, aside from Talim and Lizardman, if I were to choose a '3rd main', I would probably go with Darth Vader. He's become my 3rd favorite character in SC4, and I've been trying to bring him to the same level as Talim and Lizzy, although I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. :)

i'm very shallow, so it was all based on pure aesthetics. i liked amy's hair and frilly dress at first and the fact that she was quick. tira's nuttiness and flashy playstyle appealed to me. cassandra's ridiculous-looking ass moves are the only reason why i started playing her, lol.

Before I begin, I just wanna say that I've read all posts prior to mine and found most people's perceptions interesting on why they use their character(s). I still remember when Bibulus first unleashed Voldo on us in casuals at Jaxel's house and was like "Yo, he's Voldo" the whole time we played him.

I prefer only to use one character exclusively, so that I focus all my efforts into learning as much as I can about them. Two weeks after getting the game on launch day, I finally settled on Seong Mi-na as my chraracter since I get edgy and anxious unless I'm fighting from a distance. That, and I became totally enamored with her graceful style of fighting with a zanbatou.

When I went to my first offline tournament last September, I was devastated to hear from everyone there that she was a really horrible character competition-wise. At the time I didn't want to believe it, but it must've been true because out of the 47 people that attended that tournament, only 2 people used her and I was one of them.

As depressed as I was about it, I decided to never let the desire to win overwhelm me so much that I'd drop the character that I loved using. And while I think it's perfectly fine that other people would rather use a character that is good so they have a better chance of winning, it is just not my preference. To each his own. A person has to decide what is right for them, whether it be to just win or to try winning with a certain character. So to this day, I have never dropped her.

Mi-na is the type of character where you can't rely on abusable moves to win because, well....she really doesn't have anything that's too abusable. You spend most of your time poking away, trying to keep them at range and chipping away at their health. If you can bait them into making a mistake or whiffing, you can nail them with tip range combos for pretty sizeable damage. Forcing them to block stuff like 66A+B, 2A+B and WR B helps because she has the ability to wreck a soul gauge. In the hands of a skilled person, she can be an extreme pain in the ass to deal with.

So I'll admit that it's been a tough road and I've taken my fair share of losses. But I've learned so much and gained a great deal of knowledge about her in and outs over the past several months. And I've even gotten myself some wins along the way. Everything about her style fits exactly how I want to fight. Mi-na is just the character for me, and probably always will be.

And she's pretty hot, too.

Well lets see... I was at least competitive with every character in SC3 (the 1st game of the series ive owned exept SB) for 2 reasons. 1 because I wanted to main the Olcudan and 2. Because i wanted all the ancient weapons (still missing 6 but oh well). Anyway when SC4 came out i was only really effective with Seigfreid Kilik and Sophitia because their movelists were at least very smilar to in SC3.

Seigfreid: He is still my main. When SC4 came out in July he was the character that i hadt he most sucsess with because I could really confuse players with my roulets and high low mixups. This is the only reason i played as him to be honest i never really like the avenger typoe characters Jin really annoys me :).

Sophitia: hadnt changed at all from SC3 and i always found the just 236b even online to be very easy to pull off as well as her low moves and 66b 66A+B combo to be very effective online and off.

Kilik: ... you can all probrally guess lol.

I have 8 mains now but Seigfreid is still the main :).

Oh and to the above comment yeh Mi na is hot lol... Sophitias the best tho

Despite contrary belief, my obsession around Ivy was formed around her sword...not the fact she's looks like a raging hot dyke-esque dominatrix with a unique fashion line and a hairstyle attuned to my love for boy cuts on girls... *wheeze*

I've always preferred classes in games that are focused on dynamic characters that can adjust and must be responsive to the scenario versus ones that rely on a built in strategy until a counter strategy arises to over take you. So seeing Ivy's weapon that could morph as needed made for a very intriguing character to start. I personally don't know how I mastered Ivy first before understanding any of the other characters of Soul Calibur 2 (my first entry into the series). I enjoyed the fact that she was hard to use and made controlling her feel like an exclusive right that few had. Her shifting style and various options also made her the most entertaining character as she is by far the flashiest in the game and with all the options "Ivy" and "spammer" never seemed to be 2 words that could connect (FYI I'm an iCS spammer).

She's the perfect package for me. The morphing weapon, flashiest move set, difficulty, largest move set, and to add in an appropriately inappropriate aesthetic is just a huge bonus. I doubt any characters is as rewarding to master as Ivy due to her intricacies and huge pay offs.

I go mostly on how fun I find a character to play when I pick. I Go through the roster with each installment and just pick accordingly. Because of that I change characters like underwear.

Taki in SB, Ivy in SC1, Voldo in SC2 (PAL sc2 voldo was amazingly fun to play), Hwang and Asta in SC3 and got back to voldo in SC4, with some Rock and Mina on the side. Voldo in particular tend to have a lot of tricks and be really fun to explore and play.

Ivy

SC2 was my first soulcalibur. I chose Siegfried/Nighty for its dreadful sword, and, Spawn. Spawn is a character of so much fun that is able to fly here and there, and launch beam canon. I knew there’s such a character called Ivy with a multi-stanced sword. I tried for a little while but found the stance transition too burdening to me, and the command throws not easy for me to put off during battles. I gave up.

The changes of Ivy in SC4, however, give me another chance to pick her up; the stance transition becomes much more intuitional, if not easier. And command throws seem viable for me. It’s really a pleasure to see your opponent being grabbed, poked into mid air, and then tortured by the pieces of her sword with his HP diminishing.

Apart from her looks and her voice (which are the only part of her that are not pleasant to me. But her appearance does make her unique in the series), most of her moves are indeed aesthetical: CL236BB, SEA236A, WP214B, SS, for instance, and absolutely CS/iCS. I can see she perishing her opponent while dancing if I use her properly.

InsaneKent, I really like your motivation behind your character, mina. Just saying, Raphael isn't THAT much better.

I only played very casually SC2/3 and Raphael was always the "OMG YOU BITCH I HATE THAT GUY" character that though he wasn't good he was so damn annoying. SC4 I actually got very serious with playing him, and fell in love with his story, fashion style, pretty boy badass vampire majestic, and his fighting style that is all gimmicks and little substance. He's such a fun character to play effectively.....but winning with him is another story....not that he just SUCKS, but certain matchups are just terrible to begin with, and sidestepping opponents are always forcing Raphael to react rather then initiate an offensive.

Voldo - I fell in love with his psychotic S/M loving style, his freakish evades, his insane stances, and also the fact that no one really seemed to be using him and embracing this gimp. I adopted him, and haven't looked back. Nice to know he's a top tier character down the road as well, considering my other half is rather low-mid tier.

Ruiner

I don't know why, but I have always prefered female characters in fighting games. I usually pick a character that I think looks the coolest and make them my main. SC2 was the first fighting game I took seriously (even then, I never really got that great at it) and I played Ivy. She was a lot of fun to play, and her drastic change in SC3 is what turned me off the game. When I picked up SC4 on the first day of release, I thought Hilde was a great character in the aesthetics department. A breath of fresh air compared to many other women fighters in the series. I also really dug the way she played. I like the game and I am trying to get back into the scene. I have always tended to play mid/low tier characters, so it kinda sucks that Hilde is now considered the best in the game and best in a cheap way. But I like her too damn much to toss her aside.

I've mained Sieg since SB. I remember the first time I ever played the game, soon after GameWorks opened in Seattle. I found the SB machine and just got hooked on it. I tried most of the cast, but kept bouncing between Siegfried and Rock. An employee noticed that I was glued to the machine for 30 minutes or so, but no-one else was playing it. Don't remember his name, but he was a cool guy. We ended up playing on his employee card for an hour (maybe two) and I settled on Sieg. (I also played through House of the Dead twice with this really cute girl who worked there, that was fun.)

When SC1 came out it was huge with my friends. I had a couple different groups I'd play with, and everyone mained somebody different. Each of us escalated our game to try to get ahead of everyone else, and I totally fell in love with Sieg's stance roulette. This was the high-point of SC in my life, and I still associate a bunch of people with the chars they played back in the day.

Then SC2 came out, and we all hated it. We stuck with SC1. Partially it was specific changes to the system that turned us off, but mostly it was just the feel of the game. I know people love it to death, and only some people understand what I mean when I say this, but SC2 just felt... mushy. It was like going from a crisp digital game to a fuzzy analog game (I don't mean the graphics, btw, more like the feel of the controls, buffering, step, hitboxes, etc.) It worked out somewhat for me, though, because I just can't play evil characters. Mental block, make fun of me if you will, but when I did play Nighty in SC2 (3P outfit, always) it bugged the crap out of me to hear Siegfried say things like "I'll devour your soul!" (not like we ever used English voices, but whatever, "tamashii yo!" sounded just as pathetic.)

I wasn't sure what to expect from 3, but when it came out I fell in love with it. Yeah, the game had its faults, but it *felt* like SC1 again, it had beautiful art and music, and best of all Sieg's stance game was more fun than ever. And I know this is silly, but it made me happy that all the Nightmare fans weren't playing my character anymore, and that Siggy was back to his SC1 heroic self.

I guess this turned into another long post. For me, really, I play Siegfried because I think his playstyle's fun, and because I'm just so used to playing as him. There is a bit of brand loyalty there. But when I think about any kind of sentimental attachment to the character, it's not just who I play but more the notion that we all played someone specific. Having that group was fun, and while a couple of my old buddies still play, I've been having a hard time to get something going regularly. We used to do near-weekly Soul Calibur Fridays, and we haven't done that in a while. Who knows, maybe when I meet the other Seattle players I'll make those person-to-character attachments again, but I think it was just one of those things you get once when you're young and don't experience the same way again.

In Soul Calibur 2, I was completely new to the series, so what does a Newbie do? Go straight for the coolest and/or spammiest one. I went for coolness with Maxi and used him all the way to SC4. I didn't even consider a second main until SC4.

Once I got SC4, I began to realize that just because he is fast and cool looking doesn't mean he really can do well against others. So I decided to find other mains, and what better way to find a main than click the random button. =D Thats how I found Cervantes. From then on, he became my second favorite, it kind of subconsciously happened, I didn't really realize how it happened until it did.

Next, I deciphered most of Maxi's and Cervantes's moves and was starting to get bored of them. I needed a new character to help alleviate the boredom. So my friends were all talking about how they were so great with Cassandra, so being the opposite Joe, I picked Sophitia in training mode and was impressed by the simplicity of her moves and stances.

Finally, while I was searching for a third, I had two choices by the end. Sophitia, or Zas, I really liked both their playstyles and in the end couldn't deny eitehr of them. So tahts how I picked up my four mains. =) Still need a lot of practice though.

HWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!!!!

i play cassy...but only because namco cut off my hwang.

While I did play Soul Edge/Soul Blade, etc, I didn't *really* get into the game until Soul Calibur II.

Unlike 4, in SC II I could play any character, and my *first* first pick was Raphael, but I always got my ass kicked when I was him. Then I picked Yun Seong because, for some reason, he was the only character I could win with at the arcade I played at (I played every day on my lunch break, as at that point I worked in a mall).

As soon as it hit console, however, I was drawn to Voldo. It was a strange amalgamation of three things that drew me too him: first, his blend of grace, agility and control with his innate creepiness, secondly his kick ass weapons (I fucking love Katars) and,thirdly, the fact that, in spite of people thinking he was some weird freak character that nobody thought was cool, I liked that what they thought didn't matter so long as you could win with him. Sure, he's a creepy freak but would *you* say that to him? I doubt it, cause when you're strong, you set the rules, regardless of what people may think of your look or style.

Basically, even with how weird Voldo is, if he gives your ultra-cliche'd "badass" character a beatdown, then *he's* the cool one and you're just some sucker.

Tira was the first character I picked on the game.... I didn't do too well with her the very first time I played (it was against Raphael). I loved her weapon, the way she looked... and it didn't take me more than 2 seconds to get totally infatuated with her. I walked away from Soul Calibur that night with blisters on my fingers. Later I looked up her stuff online and found out that she was "not a beginner character" and that she was "difficult to master" but I was determined to do it.... so I started out slowly learning all of my moves/stances, then later comboing them (this is where she became deadly), lots of battles/practice with my boyfriend, and then later perfection. Haha.

My story started with Xianghua because i loved her weapon and loved her flashy style (id also been watching crouch tiger hidden dragon), i soon realised that although i loved her style i wasnt winning very much with her, i kept playing with her but then had a brief spell with Astaroth and Taki...

This was shortlived as i found them both very linear and boring.

I then went back to my Dreamcast SC days and tried out Voldo and after 10 vs battles realised why i used to play him :) Sheer fun and randomness and a great storyline behind his life. Iv always liked odd characters and Voldo is no exception. To me he is to SC what Edge is to Rival Schools.

Stances, brutal weapons(Katars), and awsome movement... infact he is the only character not initially based on human motion. I do believe they got somebody in who was very flexible near the end of the character production to bring some believable physics into the model.

In my opinion choosing your character should be a pleasing experience and in my case this character fitted the way i play. One of the reasons why i love this game so, is because there is a character for everybody.

GAME ON.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

My main is Talim because of 3 reasons.

First: She is low-tier. I have a passion for being a underdog at all times. I don't know why, maybe to impress or just because I feel for them.

Second: Because her style is very much risk/reward. And that's also why I feel that if I lose a battle it was MY fault for playing to risky. Also her moves are very combo-like. Although you can easily defeat most of her options with standard B,B or backstepping, your opponent must constantly be aware of that and also need to learn how to adapt.

Third: Because I already played her in SC2, and she looks so cute ^.^

My second char is Zasalamel and also because he is low-tier and has a adapting style of gameplay.
I just like adapt-fights better then reguler combo fights anyway.

I´ve been always a Talim fan. Her story kinda sucked in SCIV, but her style got better. And I love that fighting style. Really fun and effective when you learn her (although I still haven´t done that).

And, uh , not really, I don´t pick characters that are just good or should have certain advantages and stats.....but I´m attracted to unusual fighting and more acrobatic and quick fighting styles...so hence Talim, Maxi, and X.

Back