Why did you pick Siegfried as MAIN?

I'm a Berserk fan and Nightmare from SC1 felt right to emulate the over the top great sword moves found in the comic series.

Growing accustomed to the style, when Sieg and Night split in SC3 I made the decision to stick with Sieg because he felt right. Now in SC4, we gotten a great iteration of character. Nothing that Sieg has feels cheap or abusable. Rather everything has it's place,

- He's High Risk/High Reward, you go big with Sieg or you go home. However you never feel unrewarded for the risk you take, and that to me signifies that our character is actually balanced.

- He's well rounded, he has every tool he needs to succeed against any character but depends on your own ability as a player to make him shine by reacting to strings, spacing, blocking, and mixing up properly.

- Decent Soul Gauge game, (even blocked attacks never are truly wasted, B4 variants really grew on me.)

- Not for the weary, we don't have an i14/i15 special mid 2a we can throw out to interrupt.

But the most important

- He's fun to play and that's what matters.

i chose him , because i wanted to be cooool like all the other pros =D

they have mind games with their stance roulettes and dancing etc. after knockdown .

and stomping opponents with 2KKKKK after beating their asses is satisfying . only if you mean disrespect to them .

2kA series is just badass .

for the SCH K pokes !

because i used nightmare and i felt the need to play sieg to complete the other "half ."

and . . .

1P sieg armor is just sooo cool . changing the colors is fun when you edit him =D

I'm a handicapped gamer (was born with Cerebral Palsy, which rendered me wheelchair-bound and left me with the use of only my right hand).

In high school, we had gaming tournaments (before vacations/breaks). Without any experience, I entered the Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) tournament, chose Nightmare, and ended up coming in in 2nd place. I enjoyed it so much, I bought a Dreamcast and SC afterward.

My ability with Nightmare felt natural to me, so I practiced. Now that I had the game at home, I tried different characters, and lo-and-behold, I found Siegfried, who, at the time, was Nightmare's duplicate. So, the more I practiced with Nightmare, the more I practiced with Siegfried.

It ended up helping me in college. They had a SC cabinet, so my new friends and I had casual matches. I became so fierce with Nightmare, that one friend said "No Nightmare" before a fight. I just smirked and nodded then chose Siegfried, and kicked his ass.

I continued to main Nightmare in 2. I then switched to Siegfried in 3 because his moveset was more familiar to me than Nightmare's.

From that point on, I've mained Siegfried,

Siegfried is awesome, dudes with Big Swords r my kind of thing.

i didn't care about his postion in the tier list, or his strengths and weaknesses he's just a cool lookin dude. Except in SCIV's costumes.

Siegfried is the MAN! I don't know about everyone else but I think Siegfried is the absolute best and most overpowered character in the game. He was always my third favorite character and sense my first two favorites got nerfed in this game I just had to go to him and Im damn shure glad I did. I think (and in my case at least this is a solid fact) Siegfried is the best character in the game cause the opponent can never truly know whats coming and I personaly kick the most ass off using minds games n two way option and no character can do that like Siegfried ya know. I always been pretty straight with sieg sense I started on SC3 but for some reason as soon as I started to get serious wit him I emmidiatly started whoop a whole lot of ass. I was amazed! I have never seen a character get so much output so quickly and can keep going wit it for a long time without even making a custom fighting swagg. I hered alot of bs about siegfried cant do this and gets beat by that but I can deffanatly say I mastered Siegfried and through the way I never even found any weaknesses! If a sieg player thinks differenly there doing somthing wrong fo sho. The only character that I think can get up wit Siegfried is Ivy but she is so hard to use its like what the point cause its some pretty easy characters that damn near go head up wit that bitch. I didnt master Ivy but I still know she wouldnt quite make it to Siegfried level at least frome what I seen from the real good Ivys.... whom I can still beat lol.

I hered alot of bs about siegfried cant do this and gets beat by that but I can deffanatly say I mastered Siegfried and through the way I never even found any weaknesses!

Sorry but have to disagree with you there. Sieg's attack gets blocked then Sieg gets punished as long as the opponen knows what they are doing. Classic example is Sophitia's 236B which will punish most of Sieg's most common moves easily. 3B? punished, 22_88B? punished. This goes for any character which has fast moves (which is most).

Also all his long range attack are either high or low with the majority being high, yeah good one.

I could go on but to say he has no weaknesses is just a lie, with Sieg it's all about taking risks to get a reward.

I have to go with Mikey, here Zhen. He gave some prime examples too.

The fact that you claim to have "mastered Siegfried and never found any weaknesses" screams (it doesn't just say, it screams) that you have A LOT to learn about him.

Also, it's floating around here somewhere (I forget where), but the biggest SC oxymoron is "Safe Siegfried."

No weaknesses? are you serious??

Here are some of the observations ive seen and picked up on myself on siegfried weaknesses feel free to correct me though.

-No decent grounded damage that cant be teched and blocked on reaction. Think about it. What moves does seig have that can really hurt you while your grounded? Mitsu has 44 Asta has 2A+B and 22_88[k] but what does seig have? SBH [k] does alot but the only time I can see myself getting it off is when an opponent stays grounded to avoid the SSH SBH k tech trap and even then its seeable. 66b is highy seeable 44b even more so. Not teching against seig is not very risk IMHO.

-Not many decent lows outside of stance. I haven't mastered A+K:A:2a whatsoever and most of his other lows are either seeable, have no real mix ups (b2a4 isnt fantastic IMO) or give your opponent advantage on hit. Sure there are ways around this weakness such as going into stance and using seigs grabs (which are fantastic) but I do consider it a weakness when i compare seig to Mitsu who has 2kb, 1a, WC 1_3A+B, 11_99k and 11_99a so unless your a total noob you can always make your opponent think about ducking.

-He lacks mobility. This is something my friend Engared observed when we swapped mains (he uses NM) which i would have to agree with. He hasn't got any solid back-stepping moves like Mitsus 4b, NMs B+K, X Yun Amy and Raphs 44b ect and his stepping isnt fantastic either. I have been known to use 4B+K SSH A+B to good effect as a anti whiff tactic but I dont think its nearly as good as what other characters have. He hasn't got anything like NMs GS or whatever Taki and Amys 236's are called either :P.
This isnt totally true as ive found very good use for 2_8B+K over the last 6 months for some solid stepping (especially against Astas bullrush) but I still dont consider mobility one of siegfried's strengths.

-last weakness which im not even gonna elaborate on with examples because you all know it. he is a very unsafe high risk/high reward character.

All this said his strengths are quiet numerous and personally I think b6 is a strength for seig because its so safe thus is a far cry from alot of his other moves and on hit gives +2 so you can condition your opponent into doing all manor of things after hit so you can grab, 4k, 1k, 3a, go into stance or even b6 again depending on your range, how many people can beat out a second b6 after being hit by it at tip range? he also has alot of stance frame traps but this is getting off topic

ZHEN no disrespect but i dont feel that sieg is over powered at all and I think to truly 'master' a character you have to acknowledge your characters weaknesses and attempt to compensate for them... Or you could just play Algol :).

Siegfried is easily punishsible by fast characters. and if his best moves are punishible Siegfried is going to have to try something very risky. However if the risk succeeds Sieg is rewarded well.

Although Siegfried my man, and favorite character thats not to say he doesn't have weaknesses.

Hell, If your character has more weaknesses than strengths (cough Tira cough) Then its more badass for you to win with said character.

@endnow

22_88 on grounded hurts enough, cant be rolled reliably and not blocked in time after they commit to even the shortest roll. It also has great setup value, of course using 22 exclusively is best in case they anticipate and stand up blocking. That is if youre talking about rolling. Teching is a whole different story. As a matter of fact teching against Sieg gets you killed. Fast.
Does Asta need lows? How many chars in this game have a 2KB-esque low? While having great or at least good lows is an advantage, the lack thereof isnt necessarily the opposite as long as the character provides another tool for the same purpose.
Amys 44B is terribad. She doesnt have any other good retreats to speak of. Siegs 4B+K - while not as good as NMs - does well and is actually able to consistently beat BBs (if followed with SSH A+B of course) unlike some other "good" auto-retreats. SSH A+B - tho stance only - is probably one of the most evasive moves in the game. His step isnt what it used to be and it certainly isnt up to par with, say, Hildes, but its not Voldos either. Gets the job done. However, does mobility end here? You mentioned auto-retreats, what about auto-sidesteps? Sieg has a shit-ton of those. 2A+B, 2_8B+K, 22_88B come to mind. 2A+B even has a built-in sidestep AND retreat step. Sieg does have weaknesses. But mobility/reverse yomi certainly isnt one of them.
Unsafe... point made. Nobody that has even glimpsed at his frame data will say otherwise.

No disrespect intended.

2A+B doesn't side step and it definitely doesn't add in retreat either. Wrong move perhaps?

Actually thinking about it you might get a slight retreat then straight into an approach.

Actually thinking about it you might get a slight retreat then straight into an approach.

Probably that was what he was referring to but I've never considered that a retreat move since it just puts you even closer to the enemy.

btw: 2A+B Very valuable move, one of the most unseen lows from 90% of people I fight, no lag.

Sacharja:

No disrespect taken

You dont think not having many decent lows outside of stance is a weakness though? im not talking 2kb esk that has crazy damage potential im just talking about a hard to see low that gives you advantage on hit, are you telling me not many characters have those?
and you think 4B+K is a reliable back-step? Maybe its because the people I play against generally dont use characters who have good bb moves (exept Eclairs talim and il admit its worked on him before) but Its not that effective for me. Personally i dont use much of SSH A+B. I use it as a bt move and sometimes after wr [a].

Now that you mention it seigs auto-sidesteps are quiet good. After a blocked 88 i love doing 8B+K which i learned to do after being punished for it every time in a tourney so maybe mobility isnt one of his weaknesses but it isnt as good as other characters.

Another weakness that ive noticed with seig is that he doesn't have many good moves under i15 IMHO. Sieg cannot interrupt a blocked 3 from Siegfried very well when compared to other characters. In this situation whats his best option? 6k? A+K:a? i15 trades with SCH k after 3 no? Anyway when I compare said moves to Astas 6ab, NMs ba 66, Sophies angel step or any of the crazy shit Eclair does to me after blocking 3b I find that siegs lacking.

What I pointed out about sieg i didnt meant to be an absolute "Sieg cannot do this, its his weakness he is shit at this", my point was there are other characters who can do these things alot better than him thus it was my retort to zhens's 'perfect character' post.

If you dont agree with me thats fine but other than Siegs very unsafe moves what do you think his weaknesses are? Feel free to contradict me I dont see my own words as god

I have to go with Mikey, here Zhen. He gave some prime examples too.

The fact that you claim to have "mastered Siegfried and never found any weaknesses" screams (it doesn't just say, it screams) that you have A LOT to learn about him.

Also, it's floating around here somewhere (I forget where), but the biggest SC oxymoron is "Safe Siegfried."

lol If u think Im bullshitin Id be glad to show anyone. All this simple stuff yall are bringing up its all old suff I adjusted and delt wit so quick it just didn't get no thought from me. No I really dont have much to learn, nothin half way creucial but Im sure its some more little things Id like to know. But yea this is the same stuff Im talking about trying to tell you guys...YOU have alot to learn. I know none of probably dont believe it but seriously check your selves and see if the stuff yall call weaknesses cant be delt with. They main issue might be it compromises your own styles but I didnt have to worry about that like I said cause a character who can do whatever however lol u shouldnt get beat the same way by the same stuff, get unpredictable (or at least random)

Another weakness that ive noticed with seig is that he doesn't have many good moves under i15 IMHO. Sieg cannot interrupt a blocked 3 from Siegfried very well when compared to other characters. In this situation whats his best option? 6k? A+K:a? i15 trades with SCH k after 3 no?

WTF? Did u not know u can start the stun combo tech after 6k CH for about half a life bar worth of damage. All they gotta do is not expect a counter and fail to shake the stun and ITS OVER! If u know they will break then stun and grab, almost 70 damage off a instant attak right there.

Seigfried's only good because of his lows. Mix-ups smix-ups. Take away his low stun kick and he's horrible and you all know it. It's not hard to counter the Y spam. And Nightmare is only good because of his ring outs and wall combos. That's why every Nightmare player picks the same map. You all need to stop pretending about the real reasons you play with these characters.

I love Siegfried as is.

I love his weak points.

I love his stances.

I love his entire game-style.

I also complaint a lot, but its only about the frustration of be unable to use all the move list in order to be competitive.

I also love the respect that my community give to me cause I use this complicated character and still be competitive.

I also love the comments in my videos. Example: "you are the most entertainer siegfried's player on the net"

I also love to lose with the felling that wasn't all my fault. Luck was a big part of it. (guard correctly against Siegfried's mix up game you have to be really lucky).

I'm a creative and spontaneous person, so Siegfried its the best choice for me.

Feel free to complaint but never give up this character and made his armor shine more and more.

-Stryker-

Take away his low stun kick and he's horrible and you all know it

He may be right, in my scrub years i know some siegfried moves and stuf except for combos. and i relied on lag tactix!

I also love the respect that my community give to me cause I use this complicated character and still be competitive.

I got berated for using a top tier character (Which he is obviously not) and for spamming 3B or SRSH [K] A+B. by this one dude. But i have gotten postive your a good siegfried player many times.

If Siegfried has no weaknesses then OFFBEAT_NINJA should be the best SC player ever, Hilde, Algol, Amy? All punks to the no weakness siegfried.

Seigfried's only good because of his lows. Mix-ups smix-ups. Take away his low stun kick and he's horrible and you all know it. It's not hard to counter the Y spam. And Nightmare is only good because of his ring outs and wall combos. That's why every Nightmare player picks the same map. You all need to stop pretending about the real reasons you play with these characters.

Well fuck nightmare and his ring outs but middle low mixups is pretty much the best and most fastest way to kill someone if your doing it right. Dont hate on us cause Siegfried is the best just fear us and bow your fucking head. By the way the low kick is a lag tactic and mind game for SRSH b so complaining about one move dont keep u frome getting merced by everything else.

WTF? Did u not know u can start the stun combo tech after 6k CH for about half a life bar worth of damage. All they gotta do is not expect a counter and fail to shake the stun and ITS OVER! If u know they will break then stun and grab, almost 70 damage off a instant attak right there.

Any SCer who is worth anything will be able to shake the stun quick enough so that nothing over i14 is guaranteed.... I mean it still gives good frame advantage with potential for you to do all manner of things like go into stance but i find against good players it Guarantees very little

Well fuck nightmare and his ring outs but middle low mixups is pretty much the best and most fastest way to kill someone if your doing it right. Dont hate on us cause Siegfried is the best just fear us and bow your fucking head. By the way the low kick is a lag tactic and mind game for SRSH b so complaining about one move dont keep u frome getting merced by everything else.
ANY LOW is a lag tactic, because online lows are harder to block.

Btw I didnt see any point in that post other than Fuck Nightmare and SRSH mindgames.
If Siegfried was the best how come there isn't a Ban siegfried thread, there has definetely been some aganist Algol and Hilde, and i think they are already banned...in some areas. None for siegfried? because Siegfried has nothing that makes him overpowered, because there are things that make him fault.

NO one is perfect, If you were like Thugish_Pond or something (well not even Thugish is this good probably) The kind of good your talking about is where Siegfried is winning YET completely safe, which means that Siegfried does no unsafe moves and you would have to know when to do them, and read your opponent like a book for ALL characters. Siegfried is all about risk, Hit and Miss, if your risk suceeds you deal a bunch of damage, if you fail it could be very deadly for you. But most of siegfrieds move take risks, and that is what playing him is all about. You stay safe with moves like 6B or SSH A+B auto retreat, you are not going to win

I agree Only Winged, if you look at OffBeat Ninja's most recent fight against (forgot the name) a Sophitia player, you could literally see his huge disadvantage, he was outclassed by speed, and would get punished even if he tried to throw K, K after a 3B... IMO Sophitia and Cassandra are the 2 worst match ups against Seigfried, simply because of how fast they are, and they're ability to punish almost anything you try to do... as in its impossible most of the time for me to even work my stance game to Geist Stance...

IMO: Sophitia and Cassandra are indeed great dangers to siegfried.

3B can be punished by both characters, which is nasty. Not even 3B SCH K is completable.

Now earlier I made a Sieg vs Cassandra thread most of you said she wasn't a threat and rather it was better to keep her at distance. Personally I don't Siegfried is the best keep-away character, he can't keep Sophie and Cassandra at long range forever, if you could you'd have to be damn good. However when Sophie or Cass get in close range its deadly. and Thats what has been happening to me from good Cass players.

BTW: 2A+B Does a SLIGHT side step to the left. (1P)

Back