Why don't you JG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guard impact's advantage is that it covers all hit levels, but it won't lead to guaranteed damage (unless opponent has no meter) and it will get you hit by slow launchers like Algol 44B. They both have their different rewards, but JG is a lot safer in comparison.
This. 100% this. I'm honestly surprised this has spawned so much back and forth. They're two different mechanics with their own pros and cons. Whether you are a fan of JG or not, why not learn it? It can't possibly hurt your gameplay to have another option up your sleeve and/or another way to think. Unless, of course, your reason is this...

I don't use JG because it actually hurts to do all the excessive tapping. My 34-year-old thumbnails can't take all this shit.

EDIT: I will not switch to stick, fuck you.

This post should've ended the thread right there.

Just guard is worthless. Even if I know something is coming, I cannot do anything about it. There are attacks out there that simply are safe regardless if you just guard. The only solution to stopping an offense is GUARD IMPACTING. When will you assholes learn?

Yeah, I know, you can just guard the third hit in a string, the BE attack, the CE, whatever. I got it. On the flip side, what happens when you know the poke is coming? You wanna punish the shit out of it. You wait for it.....ever so hoping to get that BE attack counter string. BAM! The 1K. You hear the clink, you see the animation, you want to punish it with the greatest, most damaging combo possible. OH WAIT!! YOU CAN'T!

Just guarding cannot be as good as guard impacting. EVER. It's a frustrating, inefficient way to "stop" someone's tracks.

EDIT: I just saw your video, Fray. You know those guard impacts don't really guard impact everything. Those are specific impacts such as mids, thrusts, highs, etc. You can guard impact (4A+B+K) any one of those orb attacks and totally stop the momentum. Again, another reason why guard impact is the best.

lolll. Play someone who JG's and actually uses it properly and then say its worthless.

Just guard is worthless. Even if I know something is coming, I cannot do anything about it. There are attacks out there that simply are safe regardless if you just guard. The only solution to stopping an offense is GUARD IMPACTING. When will you assholes learn?

Yeah, I know, you can just guard the third hit in a string, the BE attack, the CE, whatever. I got it. On the flip side, what happens when you know the poke is coming? You wanna punish the shit out of it. You wait for it.....ever so hoping to get that BE attack counter string. BAM! The 1K. You hear the clink, you see the animation, you want to punish it with the greatest, most damaging combo possible. OH WAIT!! YOU CAN'T!

Just guarding cannot be as good as guard impacting. EVER. It's a frustrating, inefficient way to "stop" someone's tracks.

EDIT: I just saw your video, Fray. You know those guard impacts don't really guard impact everything. Those are specific impacts such as mids, thrusts, highs, etc. You can guard impact (4A+B+K) any one of those orb attacks and totally stop the momentum. Again, another reason why guard impact is the best.
Please explain to me how JG is worthless over GI in every situation. Why the fuck would you take a 50/50 over guaranteed damage in certain instances like defending against strings?

Please explain to me how JG is worthless over GI in every situation. Why the fuck would you take a 50/50 over guaranteed damage in certain instances like defending against strings?
Probably because he doesn't know what JGing can really do. OR thinks like this:
Not worth it. That fact that you can JG pretty much everything but grabs is bullshit. Anyway, I'm too lazy to sit in training mode and figure timing and where to use, etc.

I've never had a comeback with JG. A poke heavy opponent is safe. JG a 2A, what do you get in return? What kind of recovery frames? 10? OK. You earn an AA and frame advantage. GI a poke heavy player, what do you get? Everything.

Seren, don't be jealous because your Tira skills suck.

I know exactly what JG does. I've won so many matches because I know when an opponent attacks back. It's called a mind game. Back in SC 1 and 2 days you relied on GI to stop an opponent's bullshit poke game. SC V, you can't do that. You have to eat the blocking or hope the JG works. GI, read your opposition, attack back, game is yours.

THE ONLY SITUATION I APPROVE OF JUST GUARD IS FROM NEUTRAL POSITION. THIS ADDS DEPTH FOR BOTH PLAYERS.

BUT USING JUST GUARD AGAINST STRING ATTACKS IS UTTERLY SELFISH. AT LEAST WITH GUARD IMPACT THE SITUATION IS INTERESTING FOR BOTH PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY CAN BOTH PLAY MIND GAMES. JUST GUARDING STRING ATTACKS, HOWEVER, SIMPLY DIMINISHES THE SCENARIO AND ONLY ONE PERSON HAS ANY FUN. THIS IS BAD GAME DESIGN. FUCK EVERYBODY THAT ABUSES IT. YOU FILTHY FUCKING PARASITES!

THE ONLY SITUATION I APPROVE OF JUST GUARD IS FROM NEUTRAL POSITION. THIS ADDS DEPTH FOR BOTH PLAYERS.

BUT USING JUST GUARD AGAINST STRING ATTACKS IS UTTERLY SELFISH. AT LEAST WITH GUARD IMPACT THE SITUATION IS INTERESTING FOR BOTH PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY CAN BOTH PLAY MIND GAMES. JUST GUARDING STRING ATTACKS, HOWEVER, SIMPLY DIMINISHES THE SCENARIO AND ONLY ONE PERSON HAS ANY FUN. THIS IS BAD GAME DESIGN. FUCK EVERYBODY THAT ABUSES IT. YOU FILTHY FUCKING PARASITES!

Ya, JG is OP and cheap ( because way too easy ) but anyway people have to use what they got :D

I've never had a comeback with JG. A poke heavy opponent is safe. JG a 2A, what do you get in return? What kind of recovery frames? 10? OK. You earn an AA and frame advantage. GI a poke heavy player, what do you get? Everything.

Seren, don't be jealous because your Tira skills suck.

I know exactly what JG does. I've won so many matches because I know when an opponent attacks back. It's called a mind game. Back in SC 1 and 2 days you relied on GI to stop an opponent's bullshit poke game. SC V, you can't do that. You have to eat the blocking or hope the JG works. GI, read your opposition, attack back, game is yours.

While JG'ing might not be the most ideal thing to do for a comeback, it can still be useful against moves that people use for frame traps.

It also works wonders for you if your guard is about to be broken; JG'ing a safe move, granting you enough frame advantage to interrupt a slower GB'ing follow up. Ultimately, both I feel are very strong and conditional, so use both...

Also those complaining about it being awkward/painful etc. try assigning it to another button. I've moved my BE/CE button to L2 & put G as R2 and it feels MUCH more natural and easier to perform. Just flick it, like you're pulling a trigger.

I've tried to use it on frame traps and when I feel people are going to retaliate. It just doesn't feel rewarded. Either I try to JG and eat the damage, because I did it wrong....or I JG correctly, and I try to bust something out yet it doesn't connect because of frames. I simply don't see the need to use it when I can simply STOP your attacking and fuck you up with something tbat'll yield 100 damage.

KaB, how much damage can you get off a poke heavy player? Nothing. Sorry to burst that bullshit bubble of yours, but when you're caught in a corner, and the opponent is trapping you with 2A and 1k, what do you do? JG? Oh yeah, great idea!! 10 frame recovery!

What separates men from boys is the ability to read an opportunity to stop momentum. I'll gladly educate you in the world of GI when Soul Caliber II returns. I'm gonna fuck you up.

KaB, how much damage can you get off a poke heavy player? Nothing. Sorry to burst that bullshit bubble of yours, but when you're caught in a corner, and the opponent is trapping you with 2A and 1k, what do you do? JG? Oh yeah, great idea!! 10 frame recovery!

What separates men from boys is the ability to read an opportunity to stop momentum. I'll gladly educate you in the world of GI when Soul Caliber II returns. I'm gonna fuck you up.

You ain't teaching shit, you are beyond awful in this game. You will be awful in that game. Me and I'm sure other Norcal players will gladly take your money in SC2. No amount of nostalgia will save you when it comes out again.

I'M SICK OF THIS THREAD. IF ANYONE ON HERE HAS XBOXLIVE, GET ONLINE AND FT5 MAXI-MUM. THEN WE CAN SEE HOW WORTHLESS JG IS. COUNT THE JG PUNISHES AND POST-JG DAMAGE, AND MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD THAT SHIT.

Stop posturing dude. Come on. Let's be nice, OK?

JG does stop momentum, the same as GI. If you JG a poke that is not punishable by AA or CE or what have you, you still tend to get a large amount of advantage (+11, +15 for 2A and 1K, respectively). That's more than enough to force an immediate mixup on your opponent, the one who a moment before was breathing down your neck.

If you GI them, the sheer damage output (tends to be, depending on the character used) greater, but the risk is also greater, since the GI can be used against you. A JG can't be retaliated against in this manner; that is, unless the opponent happens to GI your mixup (assuming we're still talking about fast-recovery pokes, and not moves where JG > punishment is totally guaranteed). In that case, we're still playing the same game; the person who used GI just placed a whole lot of risk on his own back unless the other guy has no meter.

JG and GI are just tools. There's nothing inherently bad or good about them, they are there to be used.

I know you feel strongly about your opinion, but if you are going to debate let's be civilized about it, alright?

JG is really strong and boring defensive tool.It's one side fun and somehow ruin mindgames.In future NAMCO can change this shit.They just need to make 2 JG versions like good old GI in previous games.One normal JG version which can be reJGed and one perfect JG version which give you meter and can't be JGed.

I'M SICK OF THIS THREAD. IF ANYONE ON HERE HAS XBOXLIVE, GET ONLINE AND FT5 MAXI-MUM. THEN WE CAN SEE HOW WORTHLESS JG IS. COUNT THE JG PUNISHES AND POST-JG DAMAGE, AND MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD THAT SHIT.

People don't want to see what happens when I play Maxi-mum. It's such a one sided beatdown......

Before I wouldnt JG cuz I didnt know how to do it and a friend of mine taught me but then I still didnt rly use it....lately I have been putting it as part of my game plan and I'm still trying to get better at JG but I did fine without it, never saw it as something I needed to use to win.

I am being civilized. It's KaB who called me ignorant of JG. Read the posts before you make accusations. It's my God damn opinion that JG sucks and I'm expressing it.

Alex? Who in holy hell are you? I don't a shit about you or the other NorCal players.

I'm not posturing a damn thing. Again, I'm expressing my opinion. Come on XBL and show how great JG can be.

1380835857628.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back