Why I got a nintendo 64 back in the day

whitey

[09] Warrior
After many discussions amongst friends it seems that there is much hate towards the n64 almost 13 years after its launch. Which is understandable, it was the beginning of the end for Nintendo and it didn't have half the games that the PS had

But I was digging through my collection to remind myself what the hell possessed me to ask for a Nintendo 64 over a Playstation back on my 11th birthday (1997) and this is what I came up with. (I actually wanted a Saturn but it was too expensive. I was a sega fanboy what do you want?)

1)Sony was new to the console business.
Other new comers to the industry where companies like Phillips, 3DO, and Apple. And each one of them was a massive failure. Many people thought that once Nintendo got the momentum they would crush Sony.

2) Hardware issues.
All my friends that owned a Playstation anytime between 1995-1997 had to send it away for repairs at least once. Meanwhile I've yet to meet someone in person that had a problem with the n64.

3) memory cards.
they were expensive for a kid my age at the time. having to pay money to be able to save a game seemed retarded at the time to me. Yes the 64 had memory cards, but few games supported them.

4)the controllers.
Up until the dualshock came out, all the playstation controller was was a snes controller with extra shoulder buttons. It didn't have an analog stick or buttons dedicated for camera control. meanwhile the n64 had that right out of the box. As well as the rumble pack. At the time the nintendo 64 seemed better prepared for 3d games than Sony. And before anyone corrects me I'm fully aware that the n64's stick wasn't true analog. But it created the illusion.

5)load times.
Okay, it was retarded for Nintendo to stick with cartridges. But keep in mind, things like the FX chip put the SNES over the edge. You can't do an add on like that with CDs. Anywhoo the other big advantage with cartridges was no load times. Many early Playstation games had retarded load times. Games like ridge racer would take a few minutes to start up. Yes this problem was fixed later on in the Playstation's life but I'm talking about 1996-1997 Playstation, and load times sucked ass! Especially if you were in impatient tween like me.

6)Ground breaking games.
Mario 64, LoZ ocarina of time and Goldeneye. Mario 64 was the first good 3d platformer. Ocarina of time was the first 3d action adventure game to get it right. And Goldeneye was the first FPS on console that was better than most PC FPSs. And all of these games were in glorious full 3d, unlike most PS games which used 3d rendered characters on static backgrounds. (Resident evil, FF7-9, metal gear solid etc...)

Basically all i'm trying to say is that if you bought a n64 before 1998 you were not retarded for thinking it would win the 32/64 bit war.

and here is a list of 10 great games for the console that have aged well. people keep telling me its impossible.

Starfox 64
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64
Mario 64
WWF wrestlemania 2000
F-Zero X
1080 snowboarding
Winback
jet Force Gemini
Paper Mario

an easier way of saying it... is that the N64 was the best system that was out at the time with the best games and the PS hadn't had a chance to catch up or start throwing out T and M rated games (something that was a rarity on the N64). Those ground breaking games were also ...backed up simply by saying there were great developers working with nintendo...Rare back before they ....stopped doing anything...lol. Banjo Tooie I have to say still remains one of the best platformers of all time, and Mario 64 is a total classic and a great game. MArio Kart is one of the best racing games of all time and launched all the decent to good mario sports games you now see. Star fox was a great game for its time... although slippy always had that weird mental correlation to your avatar. After goldeneye, which is the classic, there came a very good Perfect Dark game that belonged in ANYBODYS collection...VERY fun FPS. And how could you not have mentioned the ground breaking Smash Brothers...hate it all you want but that shit was MONSTER fun when it came out. I never personally owned it but it was so fun at parties that I'd rent it on my birthday just to be able to play it with people. Seriously, the system was a monster. It was the GAMECUBE where Nintendo started to slip...not with the N64. And even then I don't think the gamecube was as bad as some say... hell... I thought I liked the newest zelda game better on my gamecube than playing on a friends wii... ... (do I have to say no homo to that... cuz the whole "ohh..you said WII that like a a PEEENIS...hehehehe" really has gotten old by now hasn't it??).

Think of it like this. List the Top 10 Non-rpg games of all time and then decide if the system was really all that bad :)

And like you said...they system just didn't break. FUCK dude.. I beat my brother so bad in a game once that he threw it at me and it hit a wall and it WORK FINE. (note: gamecubes hurt more when thrown because of the corners..lol). Only issue I've really heard was it was wa bitch to get near wires for the power source (my ex-gf even had a rabbit bite through her cords... go figure).

OoT is still in my top 5 games of all time. I loved the hell out of that. Getting the GC version was the only good thing that came from Windwaker.

Interesting, didn't realize that there's so much hate for the 64... While it's easy to see that Nintendo made a lot of shortsighted choices that would come back to bite them in the ass, almost all of my gaming friends love the console and a surprising percentage of non-gamers from my generation still look at it fondly (around my school, you're able to run into a random Mario Kart 64 race just as easily as some Halo LAN). It really was the multiplayer system of choice, so I never felt like I missed out too badly by waiting to pick up a PS1 much later.

I guess I just wasn't very cognizant about the "console war" back then or I simply didn't care. But yeah, the N64... it was a great console with some timeless classics, regardless of how it came up as far as the sales numbers go. Nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Speaking of the 64, Ogre Battle 64 needs to be ported to the DS or have a sequel made.

Hmm, I don't think anyone really dislikes the N64, but its just overshadowed by the far more nostalgic SNES.

For me, it was just a customer loyalty thing from the SNES to N64.

It isn't the best system I've ever owned (as far as enjoyment), but with titles like OoT and the original Smash Bros, it's certainly one that I look back fondly upon.

I got the PlayStation instead of the N64 back in '97, which I loved, but the N64 is a great system. I was just playing it last week, and I'd say my friends and I play it on a monthly basis; mostly Smash Bros, Blitz 2001, Diddy Kong Racing, WCW vs. NWO Revenge, Goldeneye, and NBA Hangtime. For some reason we have a short memory about Perfect Dark's frame rate because every few months we're like "it's not THAT bad", and then we put it in and its....not really playable in this day and age. But the system, games and controllers are all in perfect working condition. Great system.

Super Smash Bros...good times were had there. ALOT of good times. , I was also a fan of Tetrisphere. Oh god, the amount of hours I clocked on Mario 64 alone puts most time I've played games to shame. Mario Party series came from this system, had the OG. It had this Shy Guy mini-game...my palm to this day doesn't forgive me for trying to get highest score with it.

My collection for the system wasn't huge, but damn the amount of time put into every one of those games (just like my SNES) thats years on years.

We got ours because of Mario 64. We went over to a friends house for the holidays and we got a chance to play it. It was fucken awesome...
Ever since then,we got Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time,Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask [MY personal favorite LOZ game],Perfect Dark and many more great games.
I loved all of my old consoles. <3333

I loved my N64.

Best games to me were....

1. Banjo Tooie (screw Mario this game was so much better)
2. Kirby 64 The Crystal Shardes
3. Conker's Bad Fur Day
4. Super Smash Brothers
5. Stars Wars Podracing (I'm like the only person who loved this)
6. Perfect Dark
7. Zelda Ocarina of Time
8. Banjo Kazooie
9. Jet Force Gemini
10. Golden Eye

I think it is safe to say that Nintendo fucked up by losing Rare

impending doom said:
I think it is safe to say that Nintendo fucked up by losing Rare

I dunno, every game tehy have released since tehy went to ms has been a flop. Grabbed by the ghoulies was horrible. Conker for the xbox was forgettable, perfect dark 0 stunk and kameo was ass. The only good thing they're done is viva pinata, and that game sold terribly.

If anything selling rare was a brilliant move for Nintendo.

Do a barrell roll!!!!1!

I just wish Nintendo took more account in the life cycle of their consoles with the N64 and then later with the GameCube. I wanted Nintendo to go with a CD format instead of sticking with cartridges so that the console would have a longer life cycle. I would have put up with load times if it meant that the console would have been around for a few years longer, but what can you do.

I had alot of fun playing on the N64. I used to play nothing but Goldeneye and Army Men - Sarge's Heroes back in the day. Diddy Kong Racing is really an underrated racing game. I had more fun playing that then Mario Kart 64. Plus it offered more depth, three different vehicles and you got to race against a fucking triceratops. Killer Instinct Gold was my other game that I played alot that wasn't mentioned yet. If only the controller didn't suck for fighting games.

Also, I never heard anyone say that they hated the N64. Hate should be directed to stuff like the 32X. The console broke alot of ground back then and was alot of fun to play, especially since you didn't have to go out and buy a separate device for multiplayer.

I ended up buying a console a few months ago since I always played someone else's and never had my own. Now I need to get some more games for it.

Speaking of the 64, Ogre Battle 64 needs to be ported to the DS or have a sequel made.

Holy crap! I thought that game was totally off everybody's radar except mine. I just now noticed your sig. pic right after reading that. I've been secretly hoping it goes to the wii download list or whatever it's called but that will never happen.

OoT is still in my top 5 games of all time. I loved the hell out of that. Getting the GC version was the only good thing that came from Windwaker.

Wind Waker was better than Ocarina of Time. FACT.

j/k, but did you play Wind Waker at all?

Anyway, I really thought that the Nintendo 64 outclassed the PSX in almost every way. The PSX is known for a huge number of RPGs, and Metal Gear Solid. They had some good games otherwise, but the N64 threw amazing game after amazing game at you.

-Adventure Games-
Zelda: Marjora's Mask
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tigger's Honey Hunt (HELL YEAH MAN, BEST GAME EVAR)
Shadowman
Body Harvest
Rayman 2
Goemon

-Platformers-
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Super Mario 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Kirby 64
Rock: Robot on Wheels
Mischief Makers
Bomberman 64 2

-teh Shooterz-
Jet Force Gemini
Star Fox 64
Star Wars: MOTHA-EFFIN' Rogue Squadron
Golden-Mothereffing-Eye
Perfect Dark
Duke Nukem 64
WinBack
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
Turok

-Racers-
Wave Racer
F-Zero X
Wipeout 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Kart 64
RIIIIIDGE RAACEEER
Excitebike 64
Snowboard Kids 2
Top Gear: Overdrive (the other Top Gears sucked)
1080 Snowboarding
World Driver Championship (quite possibly the best sim racing game ever)

-RPGs (lol)-
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Hybrid Heaven

-Fighting Games (do wrestling games count?)-
Super Smash Brothers
WCW vs nWO: World Tour
WCW vs nWO: Revenge
WCW: Wrestlemania 2000
WCW: No Mercy

-I dunno-
Spider-Man
Star Wars: Shadow the Empire
Resident Evil 2

-The genre were you drive around and blow shit up-
Battletanx
Battletanx: Global Assault
Vigilante 8

-Sports games-
NFL Blitz series
All the other sports series, like Madden were on the N64, some of them were good, some of them were bad

-Puzzle games-
Dr. Mario
Tetris 64
Pokemon Puzzle Leage (I liked it. >_>)
Tetrisphere

And Donkey Kong 64, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Doom 64, Forsaken 64, Glover, Gauntlet Legends, Hexen, Killer Instinct Gold, Lode Runner, Pokemon Stadium, and Pokemon Stadium 2, and Quake II weren't that bad, either. Turok 2 wasn't bad, except for the ridiculous glitches.

And the StarCraft port was pretty good...that is, if you were willing to only play single player.

Do a barrell roll!!!!1!

I just wish Nintendo took more account in the life cycle of their consoles with the N64 and then later with the GameCube. I wanted Nintendo to go with a CD format instead of sticking with cartridges so that the console would have a longer life cycle. I would have put up with load times if it meant that the console would have been around for a few years longer, but what can you do.

To be honest, some of the Nintendo 64's games would not be nearly the same if it weren't for the cartridge format. Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64, for instance, would not play nearly the same way if there were loading times.

[QUOTEDiddy Kong Racing is really an underrated racing game. I had more fun playing that then Mario Kart 64. Plus it offered more depth, three different vehicles and you got to race against a fucking triceratops. Killer Instinct Gold was my other game that I played alot that wasn't mentioned yet. If only the controller didn't suck for fighting games. [/QUOTE]

Yes. Hell yes. Diddy Kong Racing was probably the best racing game on the N64, and it would rank high up there if the only vehicle was the airplane. Racing in airplanes = SOOO GOOOOD.

Hmmm...you know what? I just sort of realized that the N64 was as much of a console for racing games and shooters as much as the DreamCast was a console for the fighting games.

(Resident evil, FF7-9, metal gear solid etc...)

Metal Gear Solid was full 3D, no 2D backdrops in that one.

The thing that kept me from getting an N64 early on was the cost of all the games. $60 base price point, and never dropping in most cases, was more than I could afford. It was hard enough for me to buy $30 PS games once they dropped in price. I would have bought Smash Brothers for 64, but it never dropped in price. :(

But once I did get my N64, I loved Zelda. Can't comment on others, since Zelda is all I ever owned or played on it. :)

man... the countless hours of stoned goldeneye deathmatch that I played are unrivaled by any other game.

Back