8wayrun.com Now Running The Xenforo Beta!

• Admin
You may already notice... 8WayRun.Com has been updated and completely overhauled! I think we can all agree that the upgrade to vBulletin4 a few months back was a mistake; it should never have been done and it did nothing but hurt this community. Thankfully, some new software has just entered it's beta stages, and it's already so polished that I'm taking the risk and upgrading our community to it.

With any new software, there are of course some changes you will have to get used to. The biggest change you will notice that when you click on a thread name, instead of it bringing you to the beginning of the thread, it will bring you to the most recent unread post (as far back as 28 days). It will take a bit to get used to this, but before you know it... you'll be browsing other forums and wondering why the feature is missing! There are other small changes that you will figure out in time.

The chatroom has been temporarily replaced with Mibbit IRC until Addonchat brings up support for XenForo. The Wiki is also relatively empty as I will be working for the next few days in converting our data to the new format. The Events RSVP system has also been completely overhauled... in which case, all existing event information and RSVPs has been lost. If you have an upcoming event, just make a new event thread, then send me a message and I will merge the old thread with your new one.

You may also notice that "premium" membership has been disabled. I'm working on ideas for the new premium membership system that will give higher incentives for people to join... things like physical goods and prizes, as well as true motivators. If you are a current premium membership and wish to get a refund for overpaid months, message me. Of course, I ask if you would instead kindly chalk it up as a donation for 8WayRun.Com and let it go.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Hey guys, I'm the original creator of both Flexile themes. I thought I would post here for some feedback on the dark style. A few of you mentioned that "it could be better." Do you have any specific suggestions?

Excluding issues that are specific to 8WayRun (issues with the wiki pages, etc.) what sort of suggestions do you have?

Do you think the style is too dark? Do you think it needs more contrast?

Thanks for any and all feedback you can give. I am really trying to improve the style for the users. :)

Something that's been irritating (at least to me) is that when I click on something that leads to an info balloon - for example, I'll click on Malice's name to the left of his post - the text in the foreground and background mesh together. I mean, I can read it... But like I said, it's irritating. Any way to fix that?

Oh: But superb work so far. :)

The forums that I frequent don't do alternating colors, which I am glad that they don't because it looks bad.

I noticed the same thing Archangel mentioned but forgot about it. The opacity of the popup menu blends with the skin, so you can't read of the info that it includes. Hopefully you can change the opacity and fix that.

Attachments

• 03.png
    03.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 295
I noticed the same thing Archangel mentioned but forgot about it. The opacity of the popup menu blends with the skin, so you can't read of the info that it includes. Hopefully you can change the opacity and fix that.

Yep, I noticed this and fixed it in the update I released yesterday. It looks like Jaxel didn't upload the new files. (Jaxel, just re-upload the entire upload folder, as it contains a few new images). Once that is done you will probably have to clear your browser cache so your browser fetches a copy of the new image.

I was about to mention that the old font really strained my eyes, especially in some of the more longer posts, but apparently you guys noticed that too. That new font looks much better, thank you.

I was about to mention that the old font really strained my eyes, especially in some of the more longer posts, but apparently you guys noticed that too. That new font looks much better, thank you.
Thats very odd... because the old font is a "serif" font (meaning, feet). Serif fonts were originally designed so that they are easier to read in larger chunks. The new font is "san-serif" (meaning, without feet), which should actually be harder to read...

I'm using Linux so my fonts are different than for most of you guys but even for me this font change was for the better. Me and my:sc1kil1: are happy.

Thats very odd... because the old font is a "serif" font (meaning, feet). Serif fonts were originally designed so that they are easier to read in larger chunks. The new font is "san-serif" (meaning, without feet), which should actually be harder to read...
Serif fonts don't scale down very well, especially without anti-aliasing, so sans-serif is a better bet online. I prefer serif myself, but I'm somewhat of a typography nerd and have smoothing/ClearType on with all of my machines. :P

I'm not a huge fan of the blurry drop shadow effect when hovering over certain links (in signatures, PM conversations, etc.) because it seems random/inconsistent with the rest of the skin, but overall the skin's looking good.

ExMachina, your avatar is too sexy for it to be true. P4's emo boy for the win!

Oh, wait... This is the Soul Calibur forum... Sorry, I'm getting carried away with my gay fantasies!

Serif fonts kinda need to match with the design to look good. It looks good on the default skin. But not so much on this. So yeah I'm glad we're on a Sans font now.

The dark is good I can see now. But the colors are very flat, especially the blue balloon thingys.

We now have a new logo! Once again, made by ExMachina... I'm trying to get her to make the new logo a bit "brighter" like our old logo.

1.png

I'm digging this layout a LOT. One of the most easy to view and read forums I've ever seen.

Still not sold on the logo, then and now I felt the typography, color, and treatment between the "8" and the "WR/Wayrun" have fought each other harshly. It's not a total dislike, but I'd keep pushing further if you're going that route.

You could offer possibly a logo redesign competition for the site as an alternative. I'm sure there's plenty of graphic designers who would love to try to help a rebranding.

I would also look into allow "[" to be used. It has really screwed up a lot of articles with move notation indicating a "hold".

Okay... I have made some slight changes to the way the WIKI bbcode works... The WIKI bbcode will now only provide a link to the wiki page. However, if you add "=full" to the options of the code, it will print out the ENTIRE cached page in your post.

Code:
[wiki]cassandra-soulcalibur-iv-frame-data[/wiki]

Code:
[wiki=full]cassandra-soulcalibur-iv-frame-data[/wiki]

Live streams

7 Viewers
Reiphina
Reiphina
Succubus maid at your service ! master (ノ´ヮ`)ノ*: ・゚ today's special is a fighting game. its called soul calibur 6 NOW say "aaaaa"
6 Viewers
Geimergirl
Geimergirl
Fight night w/ @hungry_unit300 and @cloud_kingz is just vibin
6 Viewers
MrDrou
MrDrou
I hope i get to play as my main.
0 Viewers
tienokthen
tienokthen
soulcalibur 6 with da besties