Is Create-A-Soul Important?

Is Create-A-Soul Important?

• YES

Votes: 80 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
Could you please quote the bits in your messages where you actually agreed with anything that was said here ? :) :)
All the quotes from mokamoka827.

PiperAtDawn for the additional insight on Kreate-A-Fighter.

Perhaps an honorable mention to chobek.

I don't mind getting owned it's whether I learn something from it, but it's not like I'm purposely trying to get myself owned.
....and trust me if you saw my creations you would hate me..... I bet I am exactly the type of player you would detest.
I think I may have set myself on the wrong foot here, but I don't hate anybody who creates a soul, I just don't care about the creations they make. You show me your creations and I'm like 'meh'.

Last edited:
Ok, i see...can you try this then :
Go and browse on this blog : http://chobekgame.blogspot.com/ (soulcalibur customs or even the drawings which i find remarkable) if all is but 'meh' to you...
Or you could watch (with sound) my youtube vid :
-removed now franmeh has watched-

I doubt it'll make you change your mind about the 'meh' word, but at least i tried, because i think you are playing a little game with us in this thread, seeing how far it takes you :)
And i'll remove the vid if and once you watched it, because this is old stuff...

Last edited:
I understand your personal commitment to the story.
However, I consider my relationship with the game to be personal ...even if there is community play. I feel I would be overstepping my bounds if I expected others to have the exact same focus.
Maybe I feel this way because I am old .... and my experiences with video games predate online interaction. But I dislike the idea that there is only one decided upon way to properly experience SC.
....and trust me if you saw my creations you would hate me..... I bet I am exactly the type of player you would detest. I specifically enjoy bending if not breaking the world created. I make crazy characters and I play with my husband.... and that is satisfying.
I do indulge in the world and story of SC when I play in story mode ...... but I also enjoy going off on a tangent .

And.... Even if I hadn’t violated the game personally.... Kratos and Yoda and Link and...
I think it takes a lot of mental work to make the guest characters homogeneous elements of the larger story. The creators are all ready having a bit of fun with this universe.

I know from past discussions we have much in common here, preonline there was so much more mystery in unravelling the secrets of a game, unlocking stuff, using crazy cheat codes sometimes, and i also mostly play customs with family and friends.
I take immense joy in fiddling with the editor, in a rather empiric and trial and error fashion, it took me to new places and new heights and broadened my creative spectrum to a new medium, game creativity. I have done countless character creations in countless games, even mapping, and i always spend a ridiculous amount of time perfecting my custom character before starting the game, because i know i'll have to live with him (usually her :) for the lifespan of my experience with said game.
Character creation, as many already said here with much better wording, is a way to take a part of you into the game, when you aren't into cosplay IRL :)...immersion is greater imo, but well tbh i also love playing with great predesigned characters in videogame (adam jensen, witcher, the doom guy just to name a few :)
I just bought a retro gaming console for old times sake btw ! put it yesterday in my amazon SHOPPING CART (wink)

All the quotes from mokamoka827.

PiperAtDawn for the additional insight on Kreate-A-Fighter.

Perhaps an honorable mention to chobek.

I don't mind getting owned it's whether I learn something from it, but it's not like I'm purposely trying to get myself owned.
I think I may have set myself on the wrong foot here, but I don't hate anybody who creates a soul, I just don't care about the creations they make. You show me your creations and I'm like 'meh'.
Sorry.... reading my posts again, I see that they could seem more aggravated or aggressive than I intended.... I had more humor allpied to the part about you hating me as a player /creator in my head. I thought about my own body of customs and found humor in their lack of regard for the SC narrative. The sentence was written with a bit of lighthearted self awareness. I don’t really know why I thought that internal tone would come out in the text. So sorry.... I didn’t mean to put words in your mouth.
Also I am fine with meh :) no need to look at my work, it’s unapologetically what you would expect. :) I like them, but if it’s not your thing, I get that too.
:)

I'll elaborate a little more on chobek's stuff. Like I saw strong creativity in her work, but because of how limited CaS is, they give mediocre results and so I'm like 'meh'.

3D programs can extend your work that give results such as this.
alessandro-baldasseroni-deadpool-render.jpg
Given that you take the time to invest and look up on professional tutorials.

Last edited:
I'll elaborate a little more on chobek's stuff. Like I saw strong creativity in her work, but because of how limited CaS is, they give mediocre results and so I'm like 'meh'.

3D programs can give you results such as this.
They also take technical knowhow and a bit of expertise far beyond the effort required for CaS. The whole purpose of creators like CaS is something people can easily get into casually. It allows people to skip the hours and days of work to design even basic gear.

I can't for the life of me understand why it is you think people should need to become a damn near graphic designer then figure out how to mod their character into a game if they want to play them. This is getting absurd. CaS is designed to be a simple way to casually create a character that anyone can get into and enjoy with minimal effort and time. Not require technical know how and the time and effort of a profession. It's meant to be leisurely and relaxed.

Sure if I had the time and desire I could learn to build and design damn near anything graphically. Heck with enough time and effort I could make my own fighter.

How about that you want a soulcalibur like fighter without CaS learn to become a full in game designer and create it yourself. Is about as silly a request as you whining that people want an easy fun casual way to make and design their own fighters to play to basically learn to become a professionally skilled graphics designer instead. After which they'd also need to learn to either mod it into a fighter or build their own fighter from the ground up to play it.

Why is CaS important.
People like creating characters
People like fighters
People want to fight using a created character
People are busy and work for a living
People don't have the time to learn to become a professional graphic designer and modder and have other life responsibilities more important than designing 3D models from the ground up.
CaS provides people with a way to enjoy their own fighter in a way that works in the hustle and bustle of people's daily lives.

People that enjoy these things deserve to have fun too. CaS provides that.

Last edited:
The way I see it Soul Calibur is about the main original cast. To prefer a CaS over an original is like forgetting what part of the main story is about.

Much like Chobek here;
I understand your personal commitment to the story..
and the original cast, but again I think you've approached this from a specific angle that's not necessarily AS open-minded as I believe you're trying to be. While I can only speak for myself, if I do make a character it's not an attempt to replace a member of the cast, it's merely to see how closely I can realise and idea I had, or maybe there's a contest I want to enter or something for kicks.
I only use CaS characters in battles with friends, if I'm going online I'll stick to strictly main cast, though possibly with outfits I'd made for them - Which isn't to suggest I dislike that characters default look, but I am a fan of variety and options. Some days you wanna wear monochrome, others you want a Hilde with a distinct if entirely inexplicable Japanese flavour. It is what it is.
And sometimes yes I just dislike the outfits P.S give a character. Nothing wrong with that either.

This becomes a whole loop upon itself at this point - You're comparing people proud of their creations in a limited editor against 3D models made by people using tools with much vaster capabilities. That's nonsensical and naturally dissatisfying. It's like saying "ok salmon, you swim better than me, but you can't climb a tree can you?"

I think you're not going to find a satisfactory response because of this viewpoint. Not to discourage you of course, you may have noticed we're a chatty bunch here in fighting-doll-dress-up-land, but while you're still in the mindset of comparing someone casually indulging a fantasy against someone creating legitimate art, I think you'll end up going in circles and no side will make any headway either way.

3D programs can give you results such as this.
Yeah .... I know what you mean....
for me I think I play a little mental game with the limitations..... I feel like it is a puzzle trying to do something unintended .... that’s part of the thrill. I don’t know why I like it but there is something exciting about trying to get as close as I can with the elements given....

3d rendering is not quite my thing.... I don’t mean I don’t like the work of others, but I am just personally not all that enthusiastic about digital work..... others do great things, so don’t take that the wrong way. When I get serious, I like tactile experiences... so I want the feeling of the materials. I am pretty old school, I like pen and paper.... I also

3D programs can extend your work that give results such as this.
Ok ..... I was kinda avoiding this, because ...... I feel like it is a bit pushy on my part.... but , it might be the clearest answer. if you follow this link https://www.deviantart.com/chobek/gallery/?edit=1
This is what I do..... I’m not saying it’s good.... but as you can see it is very far from character creation. I like tactile materials When I get serious.... I want the feel of pen on paper. So 3d rendering is not for me personally..... I don’t dislike the work of others .... but working digitally just doesn’t drive me. It feels cold and mathematical. I would rather things be a little wrong or messy but emotional.... and everything I do is obsessive in some way.
However...... for whatever reason..... I really love trying to make characters on SC with limited options .... it is an exciting puzzle .... it is frustrating in a way that thrills me to try and make a semi accurate comic character with imperfect pieces. I don’t know that I would care if It was easy..... maybe..... I would I still enjoy seeing Mazinger Z fight Shehulk.... not very highbrow ....but true. 😊

for me I think I play a little mental game with the limitations..... I feel like it is a puzzle trying to do something unintended .... that’s part of the thrill. I don’t know why I like it but there is something exciting about trying to get as close as I can with the elements given....

3d rendering is not quite my thing.... I don’t mean I don’t like the work of others, but I am just personally not all that enthusiastic about digital work..... others do great things, so don’t take that the wrong way. When I get serious, I like tactile experiences... so I want the feeling of the materials. I am pretty old school, I like pen and paper.... I also

Ok ..... I was kinda avoiding this, because ...... I feel like it is a bit pushy on my part.... but , it might be the clearest answer. if you follow this link https://www.deviantart.com/chobek/gallery/?edit=1
This is what I do..... I’m not saying it’s good.... but as you can see it is very far from character creation. I like tactile materials When I get serious.... I want the feel of pen on paper. So 3d rendering is not for me personally..... I don’t dislike the work of others .... but working digitally just doesn’t drive me. It feels cold and mathematical. I would rather things be a little wrong or messy but emotional.... and everything I do is obsessive in some way.
However...... for whatever reason..... I really love trying to make characters on SC with limited options .... it is an exciting puzzle .... it is frustrating in a way that thrills me to try and make a semi accurate comic character with imperfect pieces. I don’t know that I would care if It was easy..... maybe..... I would I still enjoy seeing Mazinger Z fight Shehulk.... not very highbrow ....but true. 😊
Ok I messed up my last post... just read from the work OK and it should make sense..... sorry I tried editing out the confusing part but ran into trouble ...

This becomes a whole loop upon itself at this point - You're comparing people proud of their creations in a limited editor against 3D models made by people using tools with much vaster capabilities. That's nonsensical and naturally dissatisfying. It's like saying "ok salmon, you swim better than me, but you can't climb a tree can you?"
Ok but I'm not doing that to shame these ppl is just that; I believe they have incredible potential I just suggest 3D to input into their thought. Also I don't see how from swimming to climbing trees makes any sense; the Paint to Photoshop analogy does.
That confirms brucege's point. @brucege, you deserve a like on that post.

Last edited:
Ok but I'm not doing that to shame these ppl is just that I believe they have incredible potential I just suggest 3D to input into their thought. Also I don't see how from swimming to climbing trees makes any sense; the Paint to Photoshop analogy does.
That confirms brucege's point. @brucege, you deserve a like on that post.
A couple of things I wanted to say....just so I don’t misrepresent myself....
-I genuinely love the fighting game .... even without CAS.... I played Souledge in the arcade... and owned every game I had a system for since.It isn’t just about character creation.... I am a casual player, but the Soul series is important to me.
-also I keep to myself for the most part .... I don’t really play on line... I have a handful of times, but when I did it was set up ahead of time that custom characters were cool.
I try not to tread in unwelcome territory.

Ok but I'm not doing that to shame these ppl is just that; I believe they have incredible potential I just suggest 3D to input into their thought. Also I don't see how from swimming to climbing trees makes any sense; the Paint to Photoshop analogy does.
I didn't mean to imply you were trying to shame anyone. You've been nothing but reasonable from what I've read so apologies if that's how it came off.

To play devil's advocate, one of CaS's problems is that it screws up hit boxes, so you're actually not even allowed to use them in tournaments.

On a random note, I'm actually worried that SC6's CaS is TOO pretty. It looks like they fixed a lot of the clipping issues. Now CaS experts will have a harder time distinguishing themselves from the random Sephiroths and Hulks.

And @chobek. You're one of my all-time favorite CaS artists. These creations still linger in my mind from years ago.
Libra: Still haven't found something as simultaneously creepy and beautiful in the forums to date.
Shango: the authenticity and uniqueness of this one still blows my mind. I still have no idea what culture he came from, but he easily makes my top 10 to this day.
Hindu dude: looked so legit that you inspired me to create a blue-skinned Hindu CaS of my own.
Not to mention you have some of the greatest recreations and custom hairstyles in the forums. So no need to be so self-deferential. I hope you'll inspire the next generation of CaS artists in SC6.

To play devil's advocate, one of CaS's problems is that it screws up hit boxes, so you're actually not even allowed to use them in tournaments.

On a random note, I'm actually worried that SC6's CaS is TOO pretty. It looks like they fixed a lot of the clipping issues. Now CaS experts will have a harder time distinguishing themselves from the random Sephiroths and Hulks.

And @chobek. You're one of my all-time favorite CaS artists. These creations still linger in my mind from years ago.
Libra: Still haven't found something as simultaneously creepy and beautiful in the forums to date.
Shango: the authenticity and uniqueness of this one still blows my mind. I still have no idea what culture he came from, but he easily makes my top 10 to this day.
Hindu dude: looked so legit that you inspired me to create a blue-skinned Hindu CaS of my own.
Not to mention you have some of the greatest recreations and custom hairstyles in the forums. So no need to be so self-deferential. I hope you'll inspire the next generation of CaS artists in SC6.

Thank you... We all inspired each other back then, I think 🙂.
I didn’t mean to seem overly negative about my creations, I feel ok about them .... but I also get it if someone simply doesn’t care...... meh is fair.... and I don’t see why anything I did would change meh.
However, I didn’t expect anyone to really remember any of my specific creations .... so thank you so much. Seeing Libra on the list made me specifically happy.... she was all mine, (just Becky not Joe) , and from a very early challenge. 😊
Anyway thanks!

Some digital work (based on traditional pencil, inks or digital lineart).
I made it for an amateur art exhibit at work with an obvious theme :)
The idea of the exhibit was to show live sketching demo using pencil and tablet, explain how to do comics (i made a panel as well but it is all in french) and the process behind digital painting with layers, brushes, effects, coloring and what have you...

The french pirate lady all in bleu blanc rouge is actually a riddle drawing where you need to find all the skulls :)
I will use this as a base to create a french lady pirate CAS in SC6...not overly original, but that could be Cervy's soulmate, right ?

@chobek, i just had a fresh look at your deviantartgallery, it still captivates me, it has this chtuluesque vibe, like it was drawn / painted / modelled by an otherworldly creature, a fiend specialized in blackarts that would have taken possession of your soul...i assume pieces like "junk pile" are modelled in 3D for real, impressive...i love how you draw vegetation, trees etc.
I makes me try and figure out the meaning of every drawing, the mood of the artist at that time, the technique behind it...really cool and eerie.
:) Thanks
About digital work ... I see a lot of great stuff done digitally.... Work that seems expressive and natural.... It just is’t for me ... I can get acceptable results but I am not excited about doing it.... also my pattern work doesn’t flow naturally.....
so I stick to traditional media.
Oh, Junk pile isn’t a drawing .... it is just a photo of some half done experimental scrap where I had been playing around with drawing on wood... and wood objects.... 😊so it was actually just 3d.

On a random note, I'm actually worried that SC6's CaS is TOO pretty. It looks like they fixed a lot of the clipping issues. Now CaS experts will have a harder time distinguishing themselves from the random Sephiroths and Hulks

that's a bizzarre way to see it.
i want the best tool possible, don't want my stuff limited to have an extra advantage over people i'm not in competition with or care about

if anything that kind of interaction was the crap half of my experience here, people going into other people thread not for genuine intent but with some dick measuring subtext under the guise of "constructive criticism" was cringe as fuck.
Remember bunch of slighty above-mediocre guys raiding noobs threads to feel estabilished
Or people coming to my thread to get visibility from it
Or guys trying to patronize newcomers
Etc etc
LOL

Beside that, have even a little of artistic sense already put anybody stuff in the good 5%

Have stylistical coherence with the media in the 1%

If better tool help also the ones swimming in the 95% to do less eyesore stuff, seem a nice thing to me... i don't like the "need poors to feel rich" mentality

that's a bizzarre way to see it.
i want the best tool possible, don't want my stuff limited to have an extra advantage over people i'm not in competition with or care about

if anything that kind of interaction was the crap half of my experience here, people going into other people thread not for genuine intent but with some dick measuring subtext under the guise of "constructive criticism" was cringe as fuck.
Remember bunch of slighty above-mediocre guys raiding noobs threads to feel estabilished
Or people coming to my thread to get visibility from it
Or guys trying to patronize newcomers
Etc etc
LOL

Beside that, have even a little of artistic sense already put anybody stuff in the good 5%

Have stylistical coherence with the media in the 1%

If better tool help also the ones swimming in the 95% to do less eyesore stuff, seem a nice thing to me... i don't like the "need poors to feel rich" mentality
For a different reason I do worry about the improvements.... I worry that it might be more difficult to get by with tricks..... if leather looks like leather and cloth, cloth..... it might look patchy in a way SCV didn’t..... for example, I would make boots from shoes and socks with the same color....... I wonder if that sort of thing will be possible with SCVI.

Back