Maxi Post Patch Discussion

Saitoh who plays Asta AND Maxi at very high level says that the match up is 7-3 for Maxi :P
But I couldn't say exactly how so, I played too much Asta players and I m not very good with Maxi aswell... but the JG play really hurt Asta's zonning, even more than Maxi's pressure... and Asta don't have much against Maxi's pressure and speed
Also, Maxi can punish throw for a chunk of damage (well, he could ! now it's a bit less impressive :P)

But it's true that at first you have to come close to him, not an easy task but heh... :D

I think there are a lot of people that are overeacting to this patch, it's not THAT bad, really
I just wait to see in game the new 4B, 66A and aGI. But i m not too worried for now

7-3? That seems rediculous. I just don't see how that could be possible. I feel like with excellent jG usage, you might be able to make this match even, but no way does Maxi get advantage.

RIPmaxi.png

He will be missed....=(

Asta is one of Maxi's worst match-ups because:

1. He can space like crazy, which is one of Maxi's issues.
2. He does even more damage than Maxi, especially now.
3. He rapes the guard gauge, making it even harder to get in
4. WL is useless against 6K on 66K, so some things just get flat out punished with no save guess
5. His best ways of closing distance are high, which is killed by bullrush.

Well my whole post is only before patch, we'll see in a few weeks for the 1.2 version. But :

1) Spacing Maxi with Astaroth is SUPER RISKY. Any whiff leads to huge damage via 11B, 66B or worse, depending on the move that whiffed. Astaroth really need to be super cautious when trying to space him.

2) Before patch that's was very un-true. Maxi dealt way more damage than Astaroth overall. Astaroth's big damage come from 3 things. B throw, wall combo and 22B BE when evading a vertical. B throw and wall combo are very dependant from each others, making it hard to land against aware players. Maxi damage come from a lot of things, especially things that apply easily against astaroth (read: whiff punishing, TC-ing, throws punishing, close range pressure game)

3) Only if you let him 22B you to death. 22B is VERY solid but far from being an unbeatable move. Getting too predictable with that move only get Astaroth killed against Maxi. JG rape the move and you can "option select" it meaning the JG is a safe attempt if you know how to do it.

4) True, WL cant be used effectively against Astaroth. But it's minor compared to the others points. The punishment that 66K gives is cool but it's only 28 damage in the end. (see point 2)

5) Related to 1) I think. It's quite easy to discourage spacing with Maxi against Astaroth, so once it's done, you can close-in pretty easily.

I should add that Maxi can abuse WS B+K, 6A+B and even 236K against Astaroth's offense. That's some very powerful crushers.

On the current version of the game, IMHO, Maxi is vastly superior to Astaroth.

On future 1.2 Maxi :

Looks like an overkill. He was very good before, almost top tier in my book. But the damage nerf is really too much.
Add the little tools nerf like 4B pushing out on block, LI A being now a vertical or the aGI that wont stun anymore (wtf!) and it's really a BIG hit.
Right now I'm pessimistic concerning his viability in tournament / serious games but one thing may save him : The backdash~G nerf.

I guess, again, time will tell.

Well deserved. Good job Namco, you actually did what needed to be done for once. Maxi's rain of terror will end this week.
This wouldn't have anything to do with our session last night, would it? Hehehe. :D Don't forget, your Tira got hit with the nerf bat just as hard I've heard.

Not sure if the nerfs are fair or a bit much. Plenty of very good players can make it seem like any of maxi's mixup options can be blocked or avoided on reaction. But I've started to play more like vids I see of KrayzieCD. A lot of fishing for 6A and 1B counterhits. A lot of mixed timings of Right Outer A-K. That play style should still be very viable. It just may take an extra mixup or 2 to win the round.

Nerfs and buffs aside, looking forward to more GGs with you Minerva. :)

On future 1.2 Maxi :

Looks like an overkill. He was very good before, almost top tier in my book. But the damage nerf is really too much.
Add the little tools nerf like 4B pushing out on block, LI A being now a vertical or the aGI that wont stun anymore (wtf!) and it's really a BIG hit.
Right now I'm pessimistic concerning his viability in tournament / serious games but one thing may save him : The backdash~G nerf.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. As for his viability...won't make a lick of a difference to me. His basic foundation is the same...meaning functionally his application hasn't changed...except for LI of course. Which means no more abuse of 6B4G and 22A...not too rough imo. I'm eagerly to see how this 4B thing is and how bad 66B is now...

On future 1.2 Maxi :

Pretty much agree with everything, except time will only make it worse as I see it. We all know how much hate Maxi has received from those Project Soul idiots. Alright, maybe it's time to pick up a new main :), from the way I see it, Viola aka the new OMGIMBA SC4 Amy is coming this way, lol. On serious note, I still have some hope about the patch thing, let's just hope they will learn from mistakes although they have made too many and haven't learn a damn thing about how to make a good game since forever.

Don't be so sensitive. Take it from a former low-tier hero -- if you're gonna do the low tier thing, you need a better sense of humor.

If you're not, there are a lot of other characters to choose from. I hear Ivy is looking particularly good these days, and not just her annual implant upgrade.

I was kinda prepared for damage nerfs, but aGI? Really? Like the only maxi aGI in the last hundred years that actually works? Come oon [/prematurerant]

EDIT:
I meant any stance B+K, I just remembered there was another PSL aGI in the past.

RC AB is already easy to HIT confirm. We still don't know if it's unsafe on block. Even if it is, you won't just throw it away.

I think these changes are meant to make Maxi less no brainer.

If 66B is punisheable, then use it ONLY for punishing or combos, or really from long range (also, they said they increased the pushback for it). RC AB can be hit confirmed. It was still very easy to JG, so it's like it was already unsafe.

About 4B, well, at least they won't punish LO B so easily now on block.

Like has been said here, the only nerf that worries me is WL. Also I want to see the new 66A, since I use it a lot.

After sleeping and thinking about the changes, I think Maxi will be okay.

Nerfs to LI still suck, but aside from shaves of damage taken away from many of his fast moves, he still has damage from his other stances which werent touched, plus moves outside stance like 236K, and 11_77B still deal great damage.

If you think about it, removing all damage decreases from the patch notes leaves 6 core changes. Now it's a matter of making adjustments. There's also some slight hope with Backstep and Step 4G being removed.

Whether he's still tournament viable... we'll just have to see.

@Aqua
Step G has been removed, Fuzzy Guard has been removed, Back step recovery to guard is longer :)
All welcome changes to the game system. I wish I can get 8WR buffer back, but Namco is adamant that we use 8WR attacks only from 8WRunning

LI and autoGI nerfs, are really the only thing we should be really upset about

I had this little gem on the back burner till the patch actually came out. Seems that some people have gotten the patch early and we should see information start to trickle in.

threads merged

HRD

@Aqua
Step G has been removed, Fuzzy Guard has been removed, Back step recovery to guard is longer :)
All welcome changes to the game system. I wish I can get 8WR buffer back, but Namco is adamant that we use 8WR attacks only from 8WRunning

LI and autoGI nerfs, are really the only thing we should be really upset about

You can still buffer 8wr moves out of step right? Like if I want to do a 11 move while running forward I just 66 run up to them then go 6321 B...

same if your sidestepping and want to do a 66 move you do 2 hold and then roll to 6...

Is this what you mean or are you talking about something else?

Or are you talking about the step you usually have to take to use an 8wr move...

Back