SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

I also wonder what gimmicks the next dlcs will get.
Considering Hwang and Setsuka are unique styles in their own right, I believe and hope they don’t need/get any gimmicks. They can be solid styles like Mitsurugi and Sophitia. Aeon’s lizardisms were already gimmick enough, too.

Considering Hwang and Setsuka are unique styles in their own right, I believe and hope they don’t need/get any gimmicks.
I wouldn't hold my breath; Amy and Cassandra were already as unique as any characters in the roster, nevermind any superficial similarity between their and Raphael of Sophitia's weapons, respectively, and yet the devs still felt the need to drastically re-formulate their movesets (Amy's in particular). I think, if recent comments are any indication, the mixed feelings about how drastically Amy was re-imagined has reached them, so perhaps that will field a little caution into how they approach the next batch, but knowing this team and their willingness to toss out the rule book (often to excess, imo) I would be expecting Hwang and Setsuka to have some substantial gimmicks.

Honestly, it's beginning to feel like the best case scenario for Hwang would be to get a mixed moveset of his and Yun-seong's moves, accounting for much of both through Soul Charge. The main reason I tend to doubt that is that, assuming Yun-seong does not show up in Season Three, I'm betting they are anticipating he will be appropriate for SCVII, and do not want to strip his moveset, creating conflicts down the line. The thing is, stances (even if a character has several) are no longer considered enough of a gimmick to spare a character still more convoluted mechanics. I'm betting there's some kind of count mechanic or character unique tweak for each if the incoming characters.

I'm pretty keen to see what they do with Aeon though: he's kind of unique in the roster for the amount that both his aesthetic and moveset has varied over time--indeed, unlike other characters who have been re-imagined throughout the series, he has one moveset so at variance with its previous iterations, it is considered a completely different style rather than a game-specific variant. Now the question becomes (in the first game since that divergence), how much of that do they retain for the reboot, and how much will they go back to the original Lizardman vibe. Even if we constrain ourselves to the pre-SCV Lizardman movesets, while there is a smoother continuity between them, the style still changed considerably between its creation in SCI and its consistent presence through SCIV, changing weapons and shifting the approach of the moveset considerably in that time.

So I'm pretty excited to see how they synergized all of this together. Is Aeon going to start out much as he did in the original narrative, cursed and going mad, but still possessing significant traces of his original humanity and holy warrior fighting style, utilizing a sword? If he does, will they at least accelerate the development of his style somewhat, so that he goes from sword to axe during the course of the narrative? If so, will they allow both for custom purposes? Will he play mostly as classic Lizardman, but get some of the crazy SCV 'Aeon' moves (maybe firebreathing without the flying) while in Soul Charge? I wonder if it would be too awkward from both a visual and developmental standpoint, to have him strap his shield on his back when in SC and pull a second axe out? Probably, I guess. But I hope they at least find a way to preserve some of his SCV moves, and particularly I would like it if his wall combo potential was not diluted.

Probably, or maybe NenekoSC3 because no one knows who Neneko is, nano da~

latest

(Her hat was a customization item in SoulCalibur III.)

I didn't know that hat was based on something! I thought it was a generic kitty hat lol
This is most people, sadly. It was even me, for a time. But I found it passing strange, and I knew that Valkyrie was a cameo appearance, and when I was looking up other of the “special” items in SoulCalibur III, like Gil from Tower of Druaga as another set (the “Hyper” stuff, and the Excalibur / Blue Line Shield that Neneko is using in the screenshot above), it’s a really obscure cameo that only the most dedicated Namco fans would see. Mone (girl on the left in the screenshot) is also using SoulCalibur II Sophitia 3p and Blue Crystal Rod, I’m sure you noticed, and that’s another Namco cameo from Tower of Druaga, the character Ishtar. I find it neat the little references and in-jokes that Namco puts into their products.

When a 2D player tries a 3D fighting game.

That's really weird, i always though that a characters with a lot of moves and possibilities is a plus and definitely not a con, never though about the possibility that it's not the case for everyone.

I guess Hao Maru was chosen to appeal to those kind of players (one of the reasons)

Last edited:
When a 2D player tries a 3D fighting game.

That's really weird, i always though that a characters with a lot of moves and possibilities is a plus and definitely a con, never though about the possibility that it's not the case for everyone.

I guess Hao Maru was chosen to appeal to those kind of players (one of the reasons)
I used to think the same but lately I've got to play some MK11 and I really started appreciating smaller novelists. It's easier to learn the moves, easier to learn moves of other characters, and focus on the juicy part which are combos and gameplan. One of issues I had getting back into SC with Cassandra is how big her movelist is. Will probably stay with Geralt if I'll still be playing

That's really weird, i always though that a characters with a lot of moves and possibilities is a plus and definitely not a con
It depends. I'm all for huge movelists but I think in some cases developers forget to actually make sure all moves have a frequent or reasonable purpose to use. Its very exciting to try and put a move to use and knowing you have a huge selection too.
But I do feel in some cases that some moves ultimately end up being not so valuable so it does make one think, perhaps a simplified and stronger set of tools would work best.

Though, I suppose lots of moves wouldn't be a con as long as its done right.

It depends. I'm all for huge movelists but I think in some cases developers forget to actually make sure all moves have a frequent or reasonable purpose to use. Its very exciting to try and put a move to use and knowing you have a huge selection too.
But I do feel in some cases that some moves ultimately end up being not so valuable so it does make one think, perhaps a simplified and stronger set of tools would work best.

Though, I suppose lots of moves wouldn't be a con as long as its done right.
In some cases like Yoshimitsu and Tira there are times when their movesets become quite a curse than a helpful tool. :/

I actually thoroughly enjoyed SCIV Yoshi movelist. It was so goofy and fun especially with his 4A+K that was tied to the timer. Pulling out those UB uppercats in clutch moments was more than satisfying. I can't stand what they have done to him in SCVI tho...

Back