SCV Ivy FAQ & General Discussion

I actually triple duck it on reaction...

As in;I think "Oh, shit 22Kk, better duck!" Then I go "Crap, it's 22K, better stand and block it."

Then finally I go "It's a high, dumbass, just duck again."

I essentially look calm and collected with a teabag. In reality, however, I am just arguing with myself.

Well, practice makes perfect tbh, also when playing online you cannot rely upon the screen because it may be lagging, so you need to learn the rhythm for it.

I don't have much advice apart from practice, practice, practice!

Hello everyone
I'd like to ask You what is the best way to deal with Ivy's CE?
Is it somehow breakable or escapable? even though its quite slow and ivy's hand starts to glow moments before the animation kicks in, I find it difficult to duck on reaction and thus I struggle against CE-spamming Ivys

Hello everyone
I'd like to ask You what is the best way to deal with Ivy's CE?
Is it somehow breakable or escapable? even though its quite slow and ivy's hand starts to glow moments before the animation kicks in, I find it difficult to duck on reaction and thus I struggle against CE-spamming Ivys

Unlike other critical edges, you are unable to duck/jump the moment the animation starts. CE grabs will grab you as you are once the animation starts. Ducking on reaction is really your only option, other than what IAdoreBunnies said.

Thanks!
yeah It deals massive dmg and its really difficult to duck it. :( I managed once or twice but only when I was focused just on waiting for CE and not doing anything else and thats a crappy thing to do.
I wonder why I dont see CE spamming in tournaments then. at higher level is it less profitable than her BEs?

On tournament levels, reacting to CEs properly is much more common. Most can be just guarded fairly easily.

Thanks!
yeah It deals massive dmg and its really difficult to duck it. :( I managed once or twice but only when I was focused just on waiting for CE and not doing anything else and thats a crappy thing to do.
I wonder why I dont see CE spamming in tournaments then. at higher level is it less profitable than her BEs?

Unlike normal grabs, CE can't be used from neutral. ie, 236236 is a very obvious movement. This means you typically have to buffer it during recovery frames. The problem with this is the CE has very little range compared to others, and will often whiff if the opponent backsteps.

Well, without going too in depth, in high level play her CE is not only risky but also very situational. Try using it on a high level Pyrrha, who will mostly be tech crouching, backstepping, or frame trapping with AA. And if she reads it and ducks, prepare to be stabbed.

Again, it's very situational. Not necessarily bad. Just high risk for high reward. Which is something you don't see too often in high levels.

Some characters can escape it via a 22G22G22G command during the CE startup animation. Try it with Pyrrha.

Unlike normal grabs, CE can't be used from neutral. ie, 236236 is a very obvious movement.

I've noticed that it can be done as just 2323 and still get it to come out, this lets you do it from a crouching position without the dead giveaway of the full input. Great for ducking a high move and launching straight into the CE.

Also is Ivy's CE the same as Asta's where there are a few frames before the animation starts where they can't move or do they have full movement up until it starts?

Unlike normal grabs, CE can't be used from neutral. ie, 236236 is a very obvious movement.

This all depends on the user.. I can get the critical edge out without moving much, if at all.
It's easier to detect CE via movement against Voldo, Nightmare, Patroklos, Alpha Patroklos, Pyrrha, and Pyrrha Omega because of their stances tied to 236~.

I've also heard that some characters can tech crouch it by inputting the tech crouch move during the freeze animation... but I don't think I've ever seen that...

You can try and see what your opponent's favourite moves are that they use before they use her CE such as maybe A+B ~ CE (that used to be a common one in SCIV to use before her CS) and they try and figure when they might use it.

Back