Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this should be the case for CaS only styles that people don't want: the creation of a basic character (naked or else) with the default size and such.

Also, DLC characters wouldn't be allowed since not everybody could or would buy them :/
I know, right? If they have the time to test something to use hitboxes as an excuse, they have the time to see which one does not have problems and make a specific character for it, whose costume would not be an issue as well. It doesn't take that much time or resource to do that for a tournament.

CAS only styles just seem so unnecessary to me. Why waste the resources?
Its not a waste if millions are using it.

To begin with, Devil Jin was not banned from competitive play. And yeah, lets not add something millions of players want just because a few dozens won't use it in a tournament. Nice logic +1.
He actually was for like the first four years of the game and would've remained that way if a standard wasn't implemented size and body type wise rendering the fact that he was a CaS character useless.

~Edit: what Zero said.

Also I find it funny how people want to dictate what the competitive community should or should not do when they themselves have no plans to actually compete in that very said community. Look if you're a casual and like the artsy shit, cool. But that means you have no right to speak on things like tiers, balance, match ups, or really anything that doesn't have to do with story, aesthetics, or CaS. Nobody cares that you may lose to xxBudSmokaSephirothLuva42069xx online or to your neighbor down the street because you think Sophie "spamming BB or block" makes her a higher tier than whatever character you use. So stick to the aesthetics or story mode and refrain from talking about what the people who invest 100s if not 1000s of dollars to COMPETE in this game should be concerned with. Because from that aspect you have absolutely NO IDEA what the hell you are talking about.

He actually was for like the first four years of the game and would've remained that way if a standard wasn't implemented size and body type wise rendering the fact that he was a CaS character useless.

~Edit: what Zero said.
Zero is ignored for a good while now. Also, it doesn't matter, if there is a standard for him (I'd like you to be more specific about said standard), there can be a standard for other CaS exclusives. And even if he was still banned, most of the playerbase would still enjoy CaS exclusives, because most of the playerbase are not tournament players.

Zero is ignored for a good while now. Also, it doesn't matter, if there is a standard for him (I'd like you to be more specific about said standard), there can be a standard for other CaS exclusives. And even if he was still banned, most of the playerbase would still enjoy CaS exclusives, because most of the playerbase are not tournament players.
I actually couldn't tell you specifically what the standard was because no one took that character seriously enough in the last year or two enough to play with him. He was a non-factor in the competitive community and anyone who tried to use him was not taken seriously.

Also I find it funny how people want to dictate what the competitive community should or should not do when they themselves have no plans to actually compete in that very said community. Look if you're a casual and like the artsy shit, cool. But that means you have no right to speak on things like tiers, balance, match ups, or really anything that doesn't have to do with story, aesthetics, or CaS. Nobody cares that you may lose to xxBudSmokaSephirothLuva42069xx online or to your neighbor down the street because you think Sophie "spamming BB or block" makes her a higher tier than whatever character you use. So stick to the aesthetics or story mode and refrain from talking about what the people who invest 100s if not 1000s of dollars to COMPETE in this game should be concerned with.
I speak of what I choose, playing in tournaments doesn't put anyone above the rest, because those people also payed money to get the game and whatever other content it has. CaS exclusives CAN work in tournaments, and even if they didn't, there is no reason to not add them to the game, unless if the developers had chosen to not do that from the start. Tournaments don't make players special, their players are still a minority. Games are not made only for people to show off in front of an audience, they're made for the fun and entertainment of those who bought it.

I actually couldn't tell you specifically what the standard was because no one took that character seriously enough in the last year or two enough to play with him. He was a non-factor in the competitive community and anyone who tried to use him was not taken seriously.
But there was a character created in CaS to fit in the tournament, then? Like I said?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, in this forum, nonetheless: https://8wayrun.com/threads/devil-jin-is-now-legal-to-use-in-scv-tournaments.19016/

If he worked, so can others.

Last edited:
I speak of what I choose, playing in tournaments doesn't put anyone above the rest, because those people also payed money to get the game and whatever other content it has. CaS exclusives CAN work in tournaments, and even if they didn't, there is no reason to not add them to the game, unless if the developers had chosen to not do that from the start. Tournaments don't make players special, their players are still a minority.
You speak a lot about things you know nothing about. That is obvious. Also I wanna nip this in the bud, while I'm not saying tournament players are "better" than casuals, when it comes to comments like, " CaS exclusives CAN work in tournaments" from someone who doesn't play in them it shows that they can't be taken seriously at all. As I said y'all can say whatever you want about the non competitive aspects of the game but what confuses me is why you would talk about things that you have no investment in personally? What would you REALLY know about tiers if competitive players didn't tell you? What would you REALLY know about matchups if you didn't see how they played out in tournaments? What would you REALLY know about the overall balance of certain moves or characters if you weren't told by those players who you say aren't special? This isn't about some sort of superiority thing between the different types of players. But when it comes to game mechanics etc. etc. what can a casual player really input? Nothing.

But there was a character created in CaS to fit in the tournament, then? Like I said?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, in this forum, nonetheless: https://8wayrun.com/threads/devil-jin-is-now-legal-to-use-in-scv-tournaments.19016/

If he worked, so can others.
First off I ask once again, why would you care? If you wanna argue those types of character should be in the game so you can use them for whatever that's fine. But why would you care if they could be used in a tournament if we're such a small insignificant group comparatively?
Secondly, I played several SC4 tournaments where those guest character clones were legal. There's a reason they were made illegal and were universally reviled by those who had to play in those tournaments. Mind you these weren't even CaS characters that people could change things like body parts or weapons, but those characters were janky as shit. Attacks whiffed randomly (and yes they were random), their attacks had "ghost" hit properties and really they were just a nuisance since they were just a poor excuse for a recycled moveset. So yeah I expect the competitive community will once again play things out, do their research, put in 100s of hours of play to see how things work out and decide whether they are viable for tournament play. Whatever casuals have to say about them in that aspect are completely irrelevant. So why complain if they're in a tournament or not?

Nope. Damp was legal in 5 and Yoda was legal in 4. I can't think of a single fighting game that doesn't allow DLC characters.
The DLC characters were banned when they weren't made available to everyone. Once everyone could buy/download the character on every console they were made tournament legal. I imagine that will be the case if there are console exclusive characters or pre-order exclusives that aren't released to the online store. But yeah once a character is made available to everyone then they'll be tournament legal.

Question for tourney players:
What is the criteria necessary for a Bonus Character to be considered legal? I think assassin was legal right?

Question for tourney players:
What is the criteria necessary for a Bonus Character to be considered legal? I think assassin was legal right?
Assassin and Berserker were not technically bonus characters if I'm not mistaken.

In IV they were illegal because they had different hit-boxes and ranges, which could cause whifs and such, for example
Scheherazade had Amy's moveset but a longer range, while Ashlotte was the other way around, she had a smaller range than Astaroth, those characters were not balanced around those ranges and were bonus because they were just a different character for the same moveset, to which could cause discrepancies that could fuck the game up.

iirc the standard was a size 3 male character, if you didn't have devil jins attire you, the quickest and easiest thing to do was used to mummified outfit, since it only took 5 seconds to make and was readily available

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but couldn't players also make wonky CAS characters in SCV by playing with character proportions?

It seems to me CAS stuff should be banned from tournaments anyway, so I don't see a problem with adding CAS-specific styles. Just my two cents.

Here is my hot take on CaS exclusive characters- Soul Calibur VI seems to be a fanservice game, in the sense a lot of nostalgia is going into it, so it is most likely that besides the core roster we get one or two season passes for DLC characters, as it is common in fighting games now, which means popularity is playing a it's part here. That said, a balanced game is important, because the thing that keeps fighters alive is an active community, SC V was very controversial in both levels, but still have loyal fans. It makes no sense for Team Soul to dispense resources for CaS only characters, that I really doubt is being claimed by more than few hundred people considering Talim didn't even hit 1 thousand votes in a popularity pool and she has a insane fanbase.

At the end of the day CaS styles while interesting concepts in some regards, grieve edges, were made of left overs and available assets. I prefer that Team Soul make a fun game for both casuals and tournament players, than fucking the game for either part, because both are needed to make the game successful. So investing in some game modes such as ToLS and balance the game is better than a pacing fancy such as bonus styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back