Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

From your Raph perspective in this match up; what did you feel you had trouble with VS Astaroth? I've only run into 1 Raphael and, like a ton of low-level players, he thought he could simply BBB forever so I ate him up with 88/22B. Suffice to say, I learned little from that match.

Astaroth's range was rather difficult to get around - he has way more powerful options from step than I do, so all he really needed to do was bait out a 236B and step punish. Also, Astaroth has some pretty powerful uninterruptable grabs that you need to be able to anticipate. They're blockable, and sidesteppable, but if he catches you mid-prep, you're on the hook for the full guy. Need more practice against Asty, that's for sure.

Astaroth's range was rather difficult to get around - he has way more powerful options from step than I do, so all he really needed to do was bait out a 236B and step punish. Also, Astaroth has some pretty powerful uninterruptable grabs that you need to be able to anticipate. They're blockable, and sidesteppable, but if he catches you mid-prep, you're on the hook for the full guy. Need more practice against Asty, that's for sure.

Ah, I see! Well hope this helps:

Astaroth grabs are all breackable with the exception of back throw and Fully Charged 236A+G 214A+G.
CE can be GI'd
RE is one of the slowest everrrrr. On whiff its recovery is, like, a million frames, hahaha
His revenge attacks (pink flash on body) only soak one hit. They'll nullify one hit CEs but lose to lows, quick multi hits, and break attacks.
Astaroth suffers from characters that are quick up close but I feel that he's even worse against midrange play. Basically anything right outside the range of his 4A.
At max range though, I've found most characters are more than fast enough to close the gap and attack if Astaroth whiffs.

Ah, I see! Well hope this helps:

Astaroth grabs are all breackable with the exception of back throw and Fully Charged 236A+G 214A+G.
CE can be GI'd
RE is one of the slowest everrrrr. On whiff its recovery is, like, a million frames, hahaha
His revenge attacks (pink flash on body) only soak one hit. They'll nullify one hit CEs but lose to lows, quick multi hits, and break attacks.
Astaroth suffers from characters that are quick up close but I feel that he's even worse against midrange play. Basically anything right outside the range of his 4A.
At max range though, I've found most characters are more than fast enough to close the gap and attack if Astaroth whiffs.

Hey, that's actually really useful stuff to know. Thanks!

Raphael has plenty of good options to shut down sidestep whether you're in stance or not.

Wich one?
Why answering if you cannot backup what you say with facts?
It simply won't help anyone.

Just do this:
at prep entry StepG left and maybe crouch.

Try all the mixups.

SE A? if its only option is not an option because opponent will stepG and attack. lets remember SE A its not a fast move (ADD SE to A)

If i am wrong its still
50% mixup for 20 damage against a whiff punish

4, A? out of range.
Rphael of scVI is raphael of scV without defensive and spacing tools.

Now if we use actual moves after the step things gets uglier.

NOW tell me wich of those tools weren't present in ScV

Last edited:

He won't be able to tell you because he doesn't know. He'd rather tell you that you're simply wrong and don't know what you're talking about without making any kind of technical elaboration. Which is why I'd like to play a few matches with him to see how he plays and if he has anything insightful to show me, but alas it's not the cards.

So has anyone figured out why zas and raph have those extra slots in chronicles mode? It's like there's more missions and zas didn't even have an ending screen?

Side note, holy shit that's probably the most voice acting in any SC, hell it's probably more than all of them combined.

So has anyone figured out why zas and raph have those extra slots in chronicles mode? It's like there's more missions and zas didn't even have an ending screen?

Side note, holy shit that's probably the most voice acting in any SC, hell it's probably more than all of them combined.
i suspect is related to completing other characters chronicles given the graphic and interface.

No problem. I'm fiending for some decent discussion. My impression of 8wayrun's community overall is that it may as well be GameFAQS, hahah.

Yeah, the majority of us here are scrubs nowadays. To be fair though the game has been out for like what, two days?

No problem. I'm fiending for some decent discussion. My impression of 8wayrun's community overall is that it may as well be GameFAQS, hahah.
I think that's just a result of the new release - when things settle down a bit more discussion on the actual underlying gameplay will probably be taking place.

Wich one?
Why answering if you cannot backup what you say with facts?
It simply won't help anyone.

Just do this:
at prep entry StepG left and maybe crouch.

Try all the mixups.

SE A? if its only option is not an option because opponent will stepG and attack. lets remember SE A its not a fast move (ADD SE to A)

If i am wrong its still
50% mixup for 20 damage against a whiff punish

4, A? out of range.
Rphael of scVI is raphael of scV without defensive and spacing tools.

Now if we use actual moves after the step things gets uglier.

NOW tell me wich of those tools weren't present in ScV

You're difficult to understand if you write in broken English. Aside from the ones you mentioned, Raphael can use 6AA, 22AA/22AB, 66A and 46A from a distance. Up close, he can use AA/AB, 3A and 2A. If you have trouble hitting opponents, then your spacing isn't good enough. In Preparation, he can use 6A and 6K from a distance. Prep AA/AB or KKB when in close range. SE A should be used when you have frame advantage or if you're far enough away so that they can't easily interrupt you. After 66(B) or 6B(B) on hit in close range or a blocked 66(B) at tip range, for example. That is when SE mixups come into play. If your opponent starts disrespecting that and hitting you out of the stance right away, you attempt to counter hit them with Prep BB or AB next time.

If you think Raphael has no defensive and spacing tools, then you clearly don't understand the character. Anyway, I gave you examples and this is where I'm going to end the discussion.

Last edited:
You're difficult to understand if you write in broken English. Aside from the ones you mentioned, Raphael can use 6AA, 22AA/22AB, 66A and 46A from a distance.

Step left and crouch
Up close, he can use AA/AB, 3a and 2A.
OOk you didn t do your homework: Step left.... maybe crouch?

If you have trouble hitting opponents, then your spacing isn't good enough. In Preparation, he can use 6A and 6K from a distance.
Step left and crouch

Prep AA/AB or KKB
wonder what i am gonna say?

when in close range. SE A should be used when you have frame advantage
did i say step left and punish? SE A is too slow when you add SE and A and you lack options to avoid a step.

If you think Raphael has no defensive and spacing tools, then you clearly don't understand the character. Anyway, I gave you examples and this is where I'm going to end the discussion.
No you give examples on how you didn t step left.

Last edited:
Not after each one, but there's trophies for beating the main story, for beating one character's story, for beating ten characters' stories, and for beating all of them.
Without DLC, it would require all of them, but with Tira, you can skip one. Or I guess, it would be more accurate to say, without Tira, you can't get the one for beating 20 stories before doing Libra of Soul, because you can't finish Zasalamel's story without his final part, while Raphael gets two endings. I'd actually be curious to know if Raphael's second ending counts towards this total, but I already had the achievement because I do have Tira. Anyway, just semantics, to be sure, but people without Tira are locked out of this one until finishing LIbra of Soul, either way.

I dont understand that they can have team battle in los and other modes in previous games but no actual team battle mode in vs or online. Thet said they've been listening but they're actually not. Still wish for sc3 remastered.
They did the same in SoulCalibur IV, having the tagging mechanics being single-player only. The way the new system works in SoulCalibur VI is much more closer to the original Team Battle, where you can't tag, and the next combatant doesn't come running into the battlefield like Leeroy Jenkins when the one before it is defeated, but yeah, still no multiplayer inclusion. I don't really have an answer as to why not, but it sucks.

I have yet to do any Soul Chronicles but can someone tell me if you get SP for doing those?
what is SP used for?
All combined, Soul Chronicle gives you about 10000 SP, which sadly is not enough to unlock everything in CaS, even. Your best bet on SP, I think, is to get to postgame of Libra of Soul, and farm astral fissure points. They give several thousand gold per go, and you can convert gold to SP, not 1:1, but enough. The 10000 SP you get from Soul Chronicle is nice, though, and you can get a good majority of parts, but there's still a lot of stuff in the museum that you'll need tens of thousands more to get fully.

i suspect is related to completing other characters chronicles given the graphic and interface.
You have to finish Libra of Soul, and then interact with Raphael and Zasalamel in the postgame. It's presumably also required that you did all of their interactions in Libra of Soul prior to the end, with Raphael there are only a couple, but Zasalamel has a ton of them. It was in a spoiler tag, but I posted about this a few pages back, responding to Sectus.

Back