Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The weird thing is SCVI feels just as lacking in single player stuff even though it's actually not? I wish I liked Mission Mode more but it just felt kinda dull and it got too hard and frustrating for me really quick. Makes me wonder how I ever nearly completed Chroincles of the Sword back in SCIII :S Either it was easier or I had more patience back then lol

Hahah, I've been wondering that myself, regarding how much the tedium is real/a consequence of lackluster design vs. my having less inclination towards (and patience with) modes that are underwhelming and waste my time. I think it's definitely a fair bit of both this time around. Libra is seriously uninspired. They tried to pad it out with story content and gimmicks, but the narrative is cookie-cutter and obnoxiously half backed, and the gimmicks are poorly implemented. Chronicles of the Soul, by comparison, didn't have all the story cruft and contained a genuinely entertaining tactical mini-game. Mind you, I'm at the opposite end of the multi/single-player spectrum from you: I'm very much about competitive play and single player is just for 1) practice, 2) when I can't get a good opponent, and 3) (and more than anything) getting content unlocked. But that said, some single player modes have been more tolerable than others, and they've been getting consistently worse over the last four mainline entries. I've played through every single player mode of every game at least once, if not twice, but playing Libra through multiple times was the longest slog of all and I barely managed to maintain enough interest to do it for the novelty and unlocks. I guess it's the last hoorah of my once very strong inclinations towards completionism.

For what it's worth, though, I don't think most people are laughing if they beat you online. If I seriously out class someone, I try to give as much breathing room as I can without being outright patronizing. If you're on PS4 or PC, drop me a PM if you would like to play against someone who will not aggravate you and would be willing to coach you on some basic techniques and strategies and generally just play in a relaxed, friendly fashion; every one in this community should be able to enjoy the game together with others from time to time, even if single player is their jam. (Actually I've got a copy for XBOX too but I don't use it because I don't want to re-unlock everything yet again, as per above. But..in a pinch...).

Last edited:
@Rusted Blade Libra of Soul could/would be so much less tedious with a couple of things added. Like a quest alerts system, so you can know exactly when a quest is available and will stop being available so you can't miss them. Beyond that, the secret mission random encounters could have a menu progress bar or something, so you at least know what you do or don't have, instead of having no real expectation to have to get them from there. They should also have let you control mercenaries you hire, because the AI can be quite useless with them, and they also waste your food, because if you pick food and hire a mercenary, you can't have the food, the mercenary gets the food only. Some kind of item or weapon effect to lessen or even temporarily nullify random encounters would also be nice, for when you really want to do that quest in Europe but you're in China in the main story progression.

Chronicles of the Sword could have done with a bit more story, though, if you ask me. The few time skips were a bit annoying, because it would have been nice to have seen things play out instead of just rushing them along. And speaking of rushed, some things are just never really explained. It was a nice skeleton idea, and interesting to see the politics of the warring nations, but sometimes it felt like if they'd stopped to explain a bit more, it could have been appreciated on a higher level. And I still think it was a missed opportunity to not have different routes, working with other nations and that sort o thing, after you'd finished the main story, have some additional side stories and chapters open up. I know SoulCalibur III was already super content rich already, so it's a bit callous to ask for more, but... it could've made a comeback in SoulCalibur IV or something.

This.

A combination of me being a loser and autism makes actually learning and building skill pretty much impossible for me. I can play a game for years and never get any better at it. Admittedly I have very little patience and willpower too so it's all a pretty bad combination. My experience online has always been that I get steamrolled and the other person is probably laughing their ass off. The only time I did ok online was the odd match in the Beta 'cause everyone was new to the game lol. But even then, most people still wrecked me,

I can't even play against my best friends 'cause they're too good too. I just get really mad and frustrated and they get bored 'cause I'm not a challenge ¯\(ツ)

Always been a solo/AI player in these kinds of games. So you can imagine how frustrating the lack of content in SCIV and V was compared with III which was packed, lol.

The weird thing is SCVI feels just as lacking in single player stuff even though it's actually not? I wish I liked Mission Mode more but it just felt kinda dull and it got too hard and frustrating for me really quick. Makes me wonder how I ever nearly completed Chroincles of the Sword back in SCIII :S Either it was easier or I had more patience back then lol
Have you already finished Libra of Souls? I feel like that would be more fun that just doing arcade over and over... and if you have completed it already, then maybe try doing a different save where you do only evil things? Or vice-versa? And you could use a different character you've been wanting to learn maybe. Have you 100% that whole mode yet? Also change up all of your stage music to keep things fresh. Just spit balling ideas.

Unobtainable dreams are some of the best kind of dreams. AKA the dream of a game of thrones character being in SoulCalibur.

It will never happen. Why? Because GOT is HBO's golden goose and thus a very hefty price

Unobtainable dreams are some of the best kind of dreams. AKA the dream of a game of thrones character being in SoulCalibur.

It will never happen. Why? Because GOT is HBO's golden goose and thus a very hefty price
Lol remember when we thought 2B would never happen though?

Found this on Reddit. Someone made a fan art of Setsuka if she were in SCVI, maybe we'll see something like this one day...

li58mabfe7j21.png

A WIP, if a finished version comes up I'll post that here too.

That was the first draft. There's already an updated version and they're also trying to decide on hair color and are presumably going to color the rest.

They've obviously not been paying attention to the Universal Law of Soul Calibur Female Character Sequential Design Ratios: All female Soul Calibur characters increase their bust sizes by 20% each game and lose a roughly equivalent portion of skin coverage in their wardrobe. Ironically enough, this is same proportion (20%) by which Soul Calibur devs apparently presume we decline by, with regard to both age and IQ, between every two games. Rookie oversight by the artist!

They've obviously not been paying attention to the universal Law of Soul Calibur Female Character Sequential Design Ratios: All Soul Calibur characters increase their bust sizes by 20% each game and lose a roughly equivalent portion of skin coverage in their wardrobe. Ironically enough, this is same proportion (20%) by which Soul Calibur devs presume we decline in an age and IQ every game. Rookie oversight by the artist!
Please stop trying to associate sexy designs with immaturity and stupidity. Thank you.

Please stop trying to associate sexy designs with immaturity and stupidity. Thank you.

Please stop trying to police other people's opinions here. Thank you very, very much.

Edit: Also I think you'll find if I didn't associate sexy with stupid. I associated sequential inflation of bust sizes and shrinking outfits with the devs thinking that Soul Calibur fans are all 14 year old fanboys at heart. But as this board proves time and time again, that's hardly a losing strategy, is it?

Actually... I think you are right, so I take it back. Please don't stop.
Please continue to expose your prejudice and prudishness some more.

LOL. Yeah, because anyone who thinks clumsy attempts to capitalize on magically and consistently inflating "big titties" could only possibly think that was silly if they were a prude, right? Blocked again buddy; I'm not having this conversation with you again. It only brings ire into the discussion and, frankly, its pointless having such an exhange with you; it always comes back to personalized ad hominems when you feel like you've been directly insulted by someone who wasn't even talking to or about you, but rather shares an opinion about something you happen to feel defensive about. Why do that? Why make it personal? Why not just say you disagree without getting into name calling? I was sharing a joke with a friend in response to a piece of art; if your response to that is to start slinging mud, I don't see how we can have rational or meaningful exhange about anything.

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah, because anyone who thinks clumsy attempts to capitalize on "big titties" could only possibly think that was silly if they were a prude, right? Blocked again buddy; I'm not having this conversation with you again. It's pointless with you; it always comes down to personalized ad hominems with you.
That's all your SJWs are good for, blocking people you disagree with because you can't properly argue ideas to save your lives. Good luck living in that little bubble of yours sheltered from the cruel outside world.

That's all your SJWs are good for, blocking people you disagree with because you can't properly argue ideas to save your lives. Good luck living in that little bubble of yours sheltered from the cruel outside world.

Uh-huh. Now then, you have a good life from here, ok? I hope it's full of nothing but fan service and big ol' boobies. Like beach ball sized. Peace!

Back