Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I wouldn't get too specific...

Anyways, it's obviously a retcon if only by virtue of Azwel. He didn't exist back when SCV was made, as he's a creation of the Okubo-led Project Soul. I doubt he could've been easily introduced either, seeing as how SCV's time skip was intended to be the status quo going forward, but as we all know, it wasn't.

Viola's weapon, quattour Orbis, the same thing shown to be introduced to Amy by Azwel, clearly states that it steals her memories.

Theory other than what leads up to it:
I think what the gist is goes like this:
Azwel has a twisted obsession with humanity/other humans. Remember, he made a man kill his allies and then asked him about his emotions and connections to them afterwards in his Soul Chronicle.

I believe Azwel is fixated on Amy because she has ties to Raphael, who he's already devised a scheme against, and the fact that Amy went from being nihilistic and having nothing in her life to opening up to Raph. That's the "humanly" thing that gets his attention. That and he's probably picked up on Raph's utter devotion to her.

I believe that outside of experimentation with malfestation, I believe that he wants to see how strong a human bond is if he erases the memories of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190311-210726.png
    Screenshot_20190311-210726.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20190311_210546_635.jpg
    IMG_20190311_210546_635.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
It might be darker than that. Amy, being left behind by Raphael, who never came back, his body seized by Inferno, wasn't able to fend for herself and refused to go back to the orphanage, since she had grown fond of Raphael and didn't want a life without him. She could have literally died of heartbreak. Meanwhile, Viola, the clone of Amy, lived on, but lost the memories of the original, since she passed, and had no need of them anyway, as Azwel's tool.

Jesus Dante--feeling just a bit emo today? ;D Honestly though, that seems like a worst of both worlds scenario--not only do we not get both characters into the continuity at the same time (which continuity, much as it shouldn't, now heavily constrains the roster), but we also end up with a more convoluted explanation for something that already had a much less ham-fisted explanation: Viola was Amy with some form of amnesia.

Viola's weapon, quattour Orbis, the same thing shown to be introduced to Amy by Azwel, clearly states that it steals her memories.

Azwel has a twisted obsession with humanity/other humans. Remember, he made a man kill his allies and then asked him about his emotions and connections to them afterwards in his Soul Chronicle.

I believe Azwel is fixated on Amy because she has ties to Raphael, who he's already devised a scheme against, and the fact that Amy went from being nihilistic and having nothing in her life to opening up to Raph. That's the "humanly" thing that gets his attention. That and he's probably picked up on Raph's utter devotion to her.

I believe that outside of experimentation with malfestation, I believe that he wants to see how strong a human bond is if he erases the memories of it.
View attachment 60094

Well, I don't think we know how dependable that book is as a source for how things will work in this iteration of the story, and even then, it puts that suggestion forward as speculation about the role of the crystal ball--just one theory among several. But if it were accurate, that would roughly fit with what I always suspected they would do with the plot if and when they ever revisited the Amy-Viola connection; I wonder if the crystal ball is actually Amy's essence. I wonder if perhaps Azwel gave Raphael, even as he was losing his own battle of wills with Soul Edge and slowly becoming the next Nightmare, the hope of something better for Amy, who also seems to be malfested (or at least warped) by the end of SCIV. I always wondered if maybe the ultimate idea was that there had been an effort to "purify" Amy by means of the crystal ball, but it didn't just take away the malfestation but also took her memories and maybe some substantial portion of personality/will/soul, however you want to frame it. All of that is trapped inside the ball and while it is the source of Viola's power, it is also the only thing keeping her from really understanding herself. Anyway, that's my contribution to story speculation!

Last edited:
I honestly hate the idea of clones, but I cannot deny that Viola was probably one of the few characters in SC5 that was a success and its a good thing if they find a way to fit her in the current timeline.
im in for new characters but not SC5 Viola, she was a nightmare to fight against it was just cancer, if she comes back they have to make her less like she was back then.

This pretty accurately sums up my own sentiments. I think it will be a rather goofy Dr. Who level of cornball fantasy to just duplicate Amy to get around the issue of having her and Viola appear in the same game. But at the same time, Viola's moveset definetly was one of the silver linings of SCV. Personally I would just prefer they add as many bonus characters as possible without wasting time and resources on the soul chronicles content for every character but one, which would have the side benefit of there not being a need for every single character to have an iron-clad cannon explanation. Now you could of course include both in a given game and just credit those players who give much shit about continuity in this franchise (which is super silly in its premise and has regularly flouted the a disdain for strict consistency with its own story)--even these players can be credited with being able to just say "Well it's the same person available as multiple playstyles/points in their character arc. After-all, this is a familiar assumption to anyone whose played most or all of the games in the franchise. Nightmare and Siegfried operate in the same way in SCI, though they had the same moveset. SCV has three such pairs: Patroklos/Alpha Patroklos, Pyrrha/Pyrrha Omega, and Raphael/Neo-Nightmare (aka, malfested Raphael).

Indeed, Okubo seemed to be considering such an approach as late as last summer: in an interview he hints that characters wouldn't necessarily require strict cannon or even be consistent with the time period. However, a substantial amount of time and evidence has since demonstrated that the production ultimately took a different turn, apparently with a philosophy that everyone get a substantial story tie-in, with the exception of 2B. The most recent interview suggests that Amy's story will be a bit longer than average, which is interesting because I expect it picks up after Raphael's for the most part (though not necessarily--there could be overlap. That suggests that it may very well project beyond the events originally seen in SCII; all of SCIII and SCIV are supposed to have taken place in the same year, as I recall, and it's during this time that we last see Amy (SCIV).

This would incidentally give some hope to those hoping to eventually see Hilde or Algol, since it would demonstrate that the Soul Chronicles (which every new character seems likely to get at this point) can go into that time frame. On the other hand, the devs might simply have meant that Amy's story was longer in that it has a large number of chapters, but maybe compressed into a few months of time. The point of all of this is that I don't really care what story justification they feel they need to add Viola in--I'm happy to swallow whichever to have Amy AND Viola in the same game? Killer. And if you can pave the way for Hilde being eventually thrown into the mix, even better.

Of course it's also possible that they will only tease Viola at the end of this chapter. But they have put so much effort into foregrounding it...I have to say, it sounds to me as of they could be satisfied enough with their projected sales for season passes that they could be setting up a season three, if seasons 1 and 2 prove lucrative. Think about it--if the second season finishes out the SE-SCIII cast (those characters being Rock, Li Long, Hwang, Lizardman, Yun-seong, and Setsuka), a season three with Hilde, Algol, Viola, and maybe another guest, plus a final set of CaS packages? I mean, that would cement this as the definitive Soul Calibur experience, even with its introduction of some newbie-pandering mechanics and poor stage selection and some other gripes. Maybe I'm letting myself get entranced by a fantasy here, but this is all doable from where we are at now--so the next few weeks will tell the tale when we learn a little bit more about Amy's story and this Viola tease.
It honestly doesn't make sense to include a character that isn't part of the canon. I mean, if we're mostly around SC2's story, that means that its the exact same year as SC3 and SC4 (sounds absurd, but its true, all of those three happen in the exact same year), which means that they can include literally anyone alive in those periods without actually harming anyone storywise, that happens to include characters like Hilde, Algol and Ashlotte, for example, as well. SC5, on the other hand, happens many years after, which means Viola would end up being excluded unless she gets a retcon, I mean, sure, we had alternate versions of one character before (we still have it with Siegfried and Nightmare), but in Amy and Viola's case, these are them in different periods of time, in completely different scenarios, which makes adding Viola as just an alt-Amy a pretty bad idea.

im in for new characters but not SC5 Viola, she was a nightmare to fight against it was just cancer, if she comes back they have to make her less like she was back then.
Well, you should know that Viola is probably the one character that managed to actually bring something new in SC5, while most others failed, to the point where she not only has a new weapon, but she has a new weapon with a playstyle that no other character's playstyle comes even close to. If you think she is too hard to deal with, well, that is your problem and whoever else thinks that, because every game will have characters at the top of their tier lists, so if it wasn't her, it would be someone else (α Patroklos comes to mind), and Viola was never even close to broken, even if you look at tournaments, other characters were more than capable of dealing with her. Also, SC5 had its support cut, because it failed so miserably, which means that Viola could have been easily balanced with patches if the rest of the game wasn't fucked up, SC6, on the other hand, is a success, and gets updates all the time, which makes it easier for any OP character to be brought down to the rest of the roster's standards.

It honestly doesn't make sense to include a character that isn't part of the canon. I mean, if we're mostly around SC2's story, that means that its the exact same year as SC3 and SC4 (sounds absurd, but its true, all of those three happen in the exact same year), which means that they can include literally anyone alive in those periods without actually harming anyone storywise, that happens to include characters like Hilde, Algol and Ashlotte, for example, as well. SC5, on the other hand, happens many years after, which means Viola would end up being excluded unless she gets a retcon, I mean, sure, we had alternate versions of one character before (we still have it with Siegfried and Nightmare), but in Amy and Viola's case, these are them in different periods of time, in completely different scenarios, which makes adding Viola as just an alt-Amy a pretty bad idea.

I can't quite make out what the main thrust of your argument is there. Are you arguing that the likely outcome for VI is a split-personality character (the traditional Amy-Viola theory) or a cloned being (Dante's notion)? Viola not showing up in any form seems unlikely given what we are seeing in Amy's tease materials, but that still leaves a lot of open questions. Do the Viola elements only come at the end of the Amy's Soul Chronicle? Is she being prepped as a playable character as DLC for VI or is she just being set up for a later installment? What period of time does Amy's story extend through? If it's a one body/multiple personality issue, then probably the transformation has to take place after the SCIV storyline, unless they choose to retcon more with Amy than they have with other characters and events so far. I don't think I credit Dante's theory with being very likely to end up bearing out, but it does have one advantage in fitting with the current game: it would mean the copy could be made earlier on the story without altering the course of event for Amy and Raphael nearly as much. But as I said before, the evidence is all a bit muddled.

View attachment 60094
I really like this and could see this being the case. Although I just wonder how they will go about the Viola thing without the time skip? Also since Amy was already malfested by the time she becomes Viola. Like maybe along with the Orb taking her memories, Azwel ages her up or something?

Are you guys going to tune into the Weapon Master event on the 21st? We'll (hopefully) see the first Amy gameplay there, and maybe the 26th release date will be confirmed.

I can't quite make out what the main thrust of your argument is there. Are you arguing that the likely outcome for VI is a split-personality character (the traditional Amy-Viola theory) or a cloned being (Dante's notion)? Viola not showing up in any form seems unlikely given what we are seeing in Amy's tease materials, but that still leaves a lot of open questions. Do the Viola elements only come at the end of the Amy's Soul Chronicle? Is she being prepped as a playable character as DLC for VI or is she just being set up for a later installment? What period of time does Amy's story extend through? If it's a one body/multiple personality issue, then probably the transformation has to take place after the SCIV storyline, unless they choose to retcon more with Amy than they have with other characters and events so far. I don't think I credit Dante's theory with being very likely to end up bearing out, but it does have one advantage in fitting with the current game: it would mean the copy could be made earlier on the story without altering the course of event for Amy and Raphael nearly as much. But as I said before, the evidence is all a bit muddled.
Exactly, there's too much build up to Viola. It looks to me like them trying to write in a popular character and style into the plot so that they are viable.

I really like this and could see this being the case. Although I just wonder how they will go about the Viola thing without the time skip? Also since Amy was already malfested by the time she becomes Viola. Like maybe along with the Orb taking her memories, Azwel ages her up or something?

Certain things to note about soul chronicle screens. If she's wearing her sc3 outfit in one of the scenes, they may be fast forwarding to the part where they both become malfested due to the aftermath of Raph's future fight with Nightmare.

Raphael was a vampire by 3 when Amy had that outfit.

So they may in fact be covering a lot of ground before the next game. We may get Viola in this supposed season 2 potentially.

Or they may diverge but still lead up to Viola somehow. Since both outfit portraits show green eyes.

Back