Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Thinking about the supposed leak a little more, it doesn't make any sense in the first place for Xbox to get a false release date. Xbox is hardly the most popular platform for SCVI, so why would they fall victim to a rumor? If it was 2B I could see it, since she's an absurdly popular character. But Amy of all people?! Why would anyone go out of their way to fake a release date for her, in such a strange place?

The only logical answer is that Project Soul has to give MS their plans for a DLC release date ahead of time, and then MS unknowingly shared this information prematurely when they weren't supposed to. Like someone at the company just figured it was one of many casual DLC releases to happen this month.

If it turns out to be false, I couldn't even begin to conceive of a reason why it happened in the first place.

Remember when Microsoft said SCVI would release on June 24, 2018. Namco denied the claim a day later.

For March 2019, Namco DLC plans - Nothing last week or this week, March 19 - Ni no Kuni II DLC, March 26 - Amy in SCVI (With Microsoft's Leak, Project Soul didn't deny the rumor, & after The Weapon Master Event in Japan next week)

I'm beginning to think matchmaking isn't at all working as it should, because casual online on Xbox in Europe is a ghost town right now. Searching for rooms in both same region and other just goes on without result, while it's mostly possible to find a match within a minute on ranked. I can't believe there would be no casual rooms at all only half a year after release, even SCV had plenty of casual players long after release.
The matchmaking in general has honestly gotten worse since the recent character patch. :/

Can someone translate this picture?

So Viola is an Amy clone? The plot thickens...

I guess this resolves the future issue of Amy and Viola both coexisting! Brilliant!!

Leeeet's not get too far ahead of ourselves here: that qoute is vague at best. It could as easily mean that Amy was always a manufactured being (or someone experimented upon) pre-dating her time with Raphael--perhaps explaining why she has very little emotional affect early on. Or it could be purely metaphorical--it's not exactly as if Soul Calibur prose always makes perfect literal sense and Azwel's meandering plot line and bizarre commentary are worse than those of most characters in this respect.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of anything that increases the odds of Amy and Viola both appearing in a game (though honestly, there would have been zero issue with them sticking both non-contemporaneous movesets in the same game even if they are the same person--they've done this with many characters with split personalities before), but this isn't really good indication of anything, standing alone.

If Viola is an Amy clone then it is quite possible Star is Viola.

I'd kind of be surprised, honestly. For starters, most of the other codenames reference a character whose name actually translates to or is a close synonym of the codename itself (Rock=Stone, Hwang=Yellow, Lizardman=Reptile), rather than it just being a trait vaguely associated with them, and we already have a character (Yun-seong) whose given name literally means "Star", so...

Additionally, Star (singular) doesn't even have a particularly strong connection to Viola. Yes, she is a fortune teller and some of here moves reference zodiac signs as I recall, but it's worth noting that those are constellations of stars which (at best) she interacts with. They aren't singular stars which she somehow represents, such that a codename calling her "star" really makes a whole lot of sense. I suppose there is her "tri-coloured star" title--though note this does not reference an actual star, but rather is the name of a common wildflower in Europe, one which was traditionally featured in folk remedies and which played a role in various folklore. Given Amy/Viola's strong flower theme, I think it was always meant to refer to that. I think Yun-seong just makes much more sense as 'Star' all around, but I will admit, the degree to which they are foregrounding all of this Viola imagery raises questions.

Last edited:
I honestly hate the idea of clones, but I cannot deny that Viola was probably one of the few characters in SC5 that was a success and its a good thing if they find a way to fit her in the current timeline.

I'd kind of be surprised, honestly. For starters, most of the other codenames reference a character whose name actually translates to or is a close synonym of the codename itself (Rock=Stone, Hwang=Yellow, Lizardman=Reptile), rather than it just being a trait vaguely associated with them, and we already have a character (Yun-seong) whose given name literally means "Star", so...

Additionally, Star (singular) doesn't even have a particularly strong connection to Viola. Yes, she is a fortune teller and some of here moves reference zodiac signs as I recall, but it's worth noting that those are constellations of stars which (at best) she interacts with. They aren't singular stars which she somehow represents, such that a codename calling her "star" really makes a whole lot of sense. I suppose there is here "tri-coloured star" title--though note this does not reference an actual star, but rather is the name of a common wildflower in Europe, one which was traditionally featured in folk remedies and which played a role in various folklore. Given Amy/Viola's strong flower theme, I think it was always meant to refer to that. I think Yun-seong just makes much more sense as 'Star' all around, but I will admit, the degree to which they are foregrounding all of this Viola imagery raises questions.
Thing is I can't think of any other one that fits in any way and with the absurd amount of Viola imagery I can't imagine it going no where unless it's a setup for a potential season three.

I'm not even a Viola fan since her replacing Amy in five pissed me off. It's just the signs are all there.

So I have two questions.

Is it greedy that I want Amy's SC3 outfit since it's in her soul chronicle?

Also, can I give a theory about the plotline for her? I think I can explain it all for the most part. Unless people think it's a spoiler or doesn't belong in this thread. Pic is for the first question.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_194312_338.jpg
    IMG_20190311_194312_338.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 177
  • d721d8c9841ac4404fe827c730ad7fd0.jpg
    d721d8c9841ac4404fe827c730ad7fd0.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 174
@Rusted Blade I'm aware it might be a bit gun-jumpy, but I'm already a fan of this concept. It doesn't clash what we already knew, because we never really got an answer, but it also allows us to have both, which will make fans of both camps happy. I'm more than happy with mad scientist Algol making a clone of Amy that ends up being Viola. It's campy, it's silly, it's over the top... so it's perfectly Algol to a tee.

So I have two questions.

Is it greedy that I want Amy's SC3 outfit since it's in her soul chronicle?
I don't. It would make even more sense than us getting her SoulCalibur IV outfit, honestly.

Also, can I give a theory about the plotline for her? I think I can explain it all for the most part. Unless people think it's a spoiler or doesn't belong in this thread.
I mean, I'd be fine with it, you might put it in spoiler tags for collapse and filtering for people who might not want to read it. Or you could make a thread.

Wait, what? Could that actually suggest Viola is Amy's clone? That would be a massive retcon over them supposedly being one and the same.
Well "retcon", we never got a confirmation one way or the other, really. That may have been the plan all along, for all we know.

It was really obvious before that Viola was just Amy with amnesia, and we didn't get confirmation because SCV was cut short. I think it's safe to say that Viola being Amy's clone wouldn't be what Daishi intended.

I honestly hate the idea of clones, but I cannot deny that Viola was probably one of the few characters in SC5 that was a success and its a good thing if they find a way to fit her in the current timeline.

This pretty accurately sums up my own sentiments. I think it will be a rather goofy Dr. Who level of cornball fantasy to just duplicate Amy to get around the issue of having her and Viola appear in the same game. But at the same time, Viola's moveset definetly was one of the silver linings of SCV. Personally I would just prefer they add as many bonus characters as possible without wasting time and resources on the soul chronicles content for every character but one, which would have the side benefit of there not being a need for every single character to have an iron-clad cannon explanation. Now you could of course include both in a given game and just credit those players who give much shit about continuity in this franchise (which is super silly in its premise and has regularly flouted the a disdain for strict consistency with its own story)--even these players can be credited with being able to just say "Well it's the same person available as multiple playstyles/points in their character arc. After-all, this is a familiar assumption to anyone whose played most or all of the games in the franchise. Nightmare and Siegfried operate in the same way in SCI, though they had the same moveset. SCV has three such pairs: Patroklos/Alpha Patroklos, Pyrrha/Pyrrha Omega, and Raphael/Neo-Nightmare (aka, malfested Raphael).

Indeed, Okubo seemed to be considering such an approach as late as last summer: in an interview he hints that characters wouldn't necessarily require strict cannon or even be consistent with the time period. However, a substantial amount of time and evidence has since demonstrated that the production ultimately took a different turn, apparently with a philosophy that everyone get a substantial story tie-in, with the exception of 2B. The most recent interview suggests that Amy's story will be a bit longer than average, which is interesting because I expect it picks up after Raphael's for the most part (though not necessarily--there could be overlap. That suggests that it may very well project beyond the events originally seen in SCII; all of SCIII and SCIV are supposed to have taken place in the same year, as I recall, and it's during this time that we last see Amy (SCIV).

This would incidentally give some hope to those hoping to eventually see Hilde or Algol, since it would demonstrate that the Soul Chronicles (which every new character seems likely to get at this point) can go into that time frame. On the other hand, the devs might simply have meant that Amy's story was longer in that it has a large number of chapters, but maybe compressed into a few months of time. The point of all of this is that I don't really care what story justification they feel they need to add Viola in--I'm happy to swallow whichever to have Amy AND Viola in the same game? Killer. And if you can pave the way for Hilde being eventually thrown into the mix, even better.

Of course it's also possible that they will only tease Viola at the end of this chapter. But they have put so much effort into foregrounding it...I have to say, it sounds to me as of they could be satisfied enough with their projected sales for season passes that they could be setting up a season three, if seasons 1 and 2 prove lucrative. Think about it--if the second season finishes out the SE-SCIII cast (those characters being Rock, Li Long, Hwang, Lizardman, Yun-seong, and Setsuka), a season three with Hilde, Algol, Viola, and maybe another guest, plus a final set of CaS packages? I mean, that would cement this as the definitive Soul Calibur experience, even with its introduction of some newbie-pandering mechanics and poor stage selection and some other gripes. Maybe I'm letting myself get entranced by a fantasy here, but this is all doable from where we are at now--so the next few weeks will tell the tale when we learn a little bit more about Amy's story and this Viola tease.

Thing is I can't think of any other one that fits in any way and with the absurd amount of Viola imagery I can't imagine it going no where unless it's a setup for a potential season three.

I'm not even a Viola fan since her replacing Amy in five pissed me off. It's just the signs are all there.

I think it's essentially a soft tease for a season three--setting things up if their first two seasons sell well. I mean, it is worth noting that if you think it's been painful waiting this long to be not quite halfway through the first season, imagine what an extra ten characters and additional content would be like, yeeesh! But this could be a way to almost charge a subscription for a couple of years, except those consumers who would balk at that extra cost can just opt not to pay it. So I wouldn't rule out that Viola could appear as DLC at a further date. It's also possible that this is just a tease for where the story will ultimately go in SCVII, but given how much they are foregrounding Viola, I agree, it seems like something they want to explore in this game.

There is a question raised by what this would mean for SCVIII, since allowing the story of VI to progress further and further into post-SCII events means that SCVII gets pushed further and further into later events itself. It's all a bit of a jumble of evidence, but I feel like it all points towards substantial interest in ongoing support for SCVI for a while--though you might argue I am seeing what I want to see!

It was really obvious before that Viola was just Amy with amnesia, and we didn't get confirmation because SCV was cut short. I think it's safe to say that Viola being Amy's clone wouldn't be what Daishi intended.
It might be darker than that. Amy, being left behind by Raphael, who never came back, his body seized by Inferno, wasn't able to fend for herself and refused to go back to the orphanage, since she had grown fond of Raphael and didn't want a life without him. She could have literally died of heartbreak. Meanwhile, Viola, the clone of Amy, lived on, but lost the memories of the original, since she passed, and had no need of them anyway, as Azwel's tool.

Back