Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Nah, Master Raven was and upgrade from KMart Blade.

Yeah but did they have to name her Master Raven. They could have just made her feel like a new character and not just a gender swap for raven.

Yes, good thing sc6 is being directed by someone completely unrelated to T7. ^^

Let’s hope it turns out nothing like T7. That was a huge disappointment.

If they pull another M Raven with this game I might actually consider not getting it. That was one of the biggest slaps to the face with T7.

Wow i really despise T7.
Each to their own. Maven for me was a swap that was needed. IMO not only is her design superior to Raven but the shared moveset suits her better and she is a genunie upgade with her teleporting rather than the phasing double body stuff Raven does. Because of the swap I'm actually a Maven player because of it. Only thing I miss about Raven is his shinobi outfit which is still badass to this day.

raven_p2__tekken_6_by_xkamsonx-d8qicnp.png

Reactions: Ave
Can't we just get Amy instead? She's much more fun to play and is more popular anyways.
I like Amy and all, but Raphael is just a stronger design, people say the vampirism aesthetic is generic but it is in fact one of the most subtle and well executed ones in fighting games.

The issue with Raphael is that he just lacks tools, pure and simple, his movelist needs a redesign, starting with team Soul knowing what they want a Rapier user or a Saber user.

Raph could just get some Amy moves. Personally I think that if he can’t be a vampire anymore, the artbook implied he was still kind of mad so it’d be interesting to see it affect his SC, but plenty of other characters have some insanity or something of the sort.

Reactions: Pac
We had female Astaroth once; her name was Ashlotte. I'm sure if Ashlotte replaced Astaroth, there would be some riots, but also some applause. Not that I actually think that's possible, since they would be absolutely mad to make Ashlotte be the one who slayed Maxi's crew and change history.

But yes, Amy mostly usurped Raphael in SoulCalibur IV, where it almost seemed like he was unnecessary. If that happens again, where we have both, and Amy is just unquestionably better than Raphael, which makes even less sense if we're going back to the original non-vampiric Amy and Raphael, where Amy is the apprentice, and Raphael the trained nobleman, well... it would be really silly.

A genderswap I could get behind though would be Rock. Imagine that dark-skinned strong female warrior that was in one of the leaks using a giant hammer, would be neat to have a female parallel to Astaroth, set them apart a bit further.

Can't we just get Amy instead? She's much more fun to play and is more popular anyways.
The reason why Amy might be more popular is that she was actually a viable competitive character. Which Raphael has...never been.

In 2 he was bottom tier, thought admittedly the tiers in that game were relatively close so playing him didn't feel bad. 3 he got his vampire identity but was just terrible from a competitive standpoint. 4 didn't do him much better, with mostly mediocre tools/just inputs. Then 5 comes along and he has one good brave edge combo that puts him in midtier. But apparently that was just too far above the curve, so in comes the nerf bat to the bottom 5.

Raphael needs more workable tools. If they are going to continue to make him a vertical focused character that is quick with above average range, then he needs to be better at it than the super majority of characters in the game. Especially if the continue to give him weak moves to punish step when most everyone else doesn't have that problem. Not to mention "meh" damage. You can't make a character have such a narrow niche and then make a half dozen characters that do it better on top of having other viable options.

I just hope they manage to balance this game in a way that the tiers feel pretty close, or baring that, do more than one real patch to "fix" it.

Hmm, thinking about the Rapier/Saber thing. Could this be a viable way to bring both Raph and Amy back? I agree that Raph has been struggling and outshined by Amy and could use a bit of a shake up, so why not redesign him a little with a Saber as a weapon and give him a more brutal/aggressive moveset that emphasizes his mad/unstable nature whilst still retaining some of his fencing/elegant maneuvers. Amy could then be the game's Rapier user since it seems she has the more popular moveset for it.

I wouldn't be totally against the dark-skinned female being a Rock replacement but I do feel like it's better to just have the original character, especially since they're aiming to have all the SCI characters back it seems.

I think that dark-skinned female warrior concept should be some kind of amazon or tribal-like fighter. That could be a really cool thing to see. Or something like Senua from Hellblade, if they won't give us her as a Guest Character (I still hope...).

Back