Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think it's sort of funny in a grim way how the game is bringing back another mechanic from SC5. Not that I hate the brave edge thing, but it does amuse me how much hate that game got but now people wanted a feature from it to come back

SCV was hated mostly because of its roster, not mechanics. At least in my case (wouldn't say hate, but it was the blackhole/huge con of the game)

Gameplay-wise, SCV was pretty solid (except, imho, the limited movesets, though some say that most moves go unused), but the story and roster were absolutely rushed.

is it a stretch to say SCVI 1.0/Season 1 has/had a smaller budget than SCV? or at least something on a similar scale?

I feel like SCV had a good budget but was screwed over by the earthquake and the premise of rebooting the cast was flawed at it's core.

SCVI feels like a game making the most of what little budget it was given. Libra isn't a very fun mode, but it makes a lot of content through text and portraits. Same for the story mode.

SCV's gameplay was pretty solid IMHO. Brave edges were a good use of meter, and the gameplay was well-paced. GI costing meter was bull, but otherwise the gameplay was good. I'm more than happy to get brave edges again. Having access to BE, BA, GI, CE and SC means everyone has something for everything, so there is always a lot of options. RE exists to, I suppose.

is it a stretch to say SCVI 1.0/Season 1 has/had a smaller budget than SCV? or at least something on a similar scale?

I feel like SCV had a good budget but was screwed over by the earthquake and the premise of rebooting the cast was flawed at it's core.

SCVI feels like a game making the most of what little budget it was given. Libra isn't a very fun mode, but it makes a lot of content through text and portraits. Same for the story mode.
I'd say thats fair enough. Story is good imho, though I didn't really play much Libra in the end.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what they'll do with Setsuka, very good chances she'll end up my 2nd favorite character in the game after Ivy.

And hope Hwang will have a good varitety of kicks and even kick stance(s?), very curious about this one too. (yup at this point pretty sure he'll be the 1st S2 DLC character)

Yup. Here's to hoping that S2's character reveal trailers are just as hype as the previous ones lol

This remind me it would be nice to have a bit longer trailers, just look at the MK11 T800 trailer it was a satisfying trailer, but SC6 trailers were quite short overall (and it's not like there weren't others things they could show for the characters, quite opposite), maybe except Amy's was OK duration wise (DBZ trailers are even less long and worst but since i'm not that much into that game so don't care much lol)

I can't wait to see what they'll do with Setsuka, very good chances she'll end up my 2nd favorite character in the game after Ivy.
SOUL CALIBUR IV   YUN SEONG   ENDING.avi_snapshot_02.53.238.jpg

You is a fat, now hate you too..

Depends if the just frame moves gel with you, I image most players will drop her pretty fast when they realize the strict timing of her moves to pull off.

I don't understand this push for a new character when we are missing so many classic characters.....

It's not like Project Soul has a great track record... In the last 11 years the new additions have not mobilized fans except for say Viola, Azwel and current edgelord Groh.

Hilde has decent popularity but she seems to be sloppy seconds and not a high pick for many fans....

I have called for all golden age characters to return before new ones, I even want some of the more minor characters like Miser, Greed and Shura to come back as fully fleshed out characters. People who want new characters just don't have any attachment to the older cast either through not liking them or being too young to have had any exposure to them. After all this franchise began late 90's.

I have called for all golden age characters to return before new ones, I even want some of the more minor characters like Miser, Greed and Shura to come back as fully fleshed out characters. People who want new characters just don't have any attachment to the older cast either through not liking them or being too young to have had any exposure to them. After all this franchise began late 90's.

I find this notion selfish. I’ve waited over 10 years to see a character like Setsuka, Hwang, Rock, Yun-Seong to be playable but here we have some people really trying to get this “new character” idea a reality.

We already have 4 new styles in this game and we will get a 5th newbie via Haohmaru. For some reason people act like because they are a guest they don’t count as a “new character” but the same amount of work goes into these guests, even more so for them than a new non guest.

I don't understand this push for a new character when we are missing so many classic characters.....

It's not like Project Soul has a great track record... In the last 11 years the new additions have not mobilized fans except for say Viola, Azwel and current edgelord Groh.

Hilde has decent popularity but she seems to be sloppy seconds and not a high pick for many fans....
Hilde isn't sloppy seconds...

Nkw I'm gonna have to cry myself to sleep. (still want setsuka more tho)

Depends if the just frame moves gel with you, I image most players will drop her pretty fast when they realize the strict timing of her moves to pull off.
Unless they’re dedicated enough to using her such as the previous Setsuka players in here. But some of the newer players might have trouble getting into her. Especially when playing in a laggy match.

I find this notion selfish. I’ve waited over 10 years to see a character like Setsuka, Hwang, Rock, Yun-Seong to be playable but here we have some people really trying to get this “new character” idea a reality.

We already have 4 new styles in this game and we will get a 5th newbie via Haohmaru. For some reason people act like because they are a guest they don’t count as a “new character” but the same amount of work goes into these guests, even more so for them than a new non guest.
A new character usually shakes up the game and it's a way to look forward rather than backwards. It may be true that guest characters are considered "new characters" but at the same time, they don't really transfer over to future titles (except for Kratos becoming Aeon). While there are a lot of classic fans who are happy with the same old thing, there are also fans out there looking forward to something fresh and new the franchise has to offer. New characters (when done right) prevents the franchise from becoming stagnant. Characters like Ivy, Cassandra, Raphael, and Zasalamel were once considered new characters too when you think about it.

As much as I would love classic fighters to come back, you can't really blame people for wanting new characters to join in. Now if they ask for more guest characters however...

A new character usually shakes up the game and it's a way to look forward rather than backwards. It may be true that guest characters are considered "new characters" but at the same time, they don't really transfer over to future titles (except for Kratos becoming Aeon). While there are a lot of classic fans who are happy with the same old thing, there are also fans out there looking forward to something fresh and new the franchise has to offer. New characters (when done right) prevents the franchise from becoming stagnant. Characters like Ivy, Cassandra, Raphael, and Zasalamel were once considered new characters too when you think about it.

As much as I would love classic fighters to come back, you can't really blame people for wanting new characters to join in. Now if they ask for more guest characters however...

Old characters can be made fresh, look at Mina, amy and cass. We only just got a roster size that's comparable to SC2. We need to pick up the pieces of the past that SC5 blew apart before we move on.

With how little attention Bamco pays this franchise, forgive me for feeling that Project Soul getting budgeted for a fresh new character with no history/nostalgia is lower than them bringing back Viola or Patroklos.

Back