Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'd love to see an option to allow the display of 2D art only (without changing into the 3D model) in the characet select & loading screens. Some models such as Ivy's look really bad and awkward.
ivy.jpg

Her model in the character select & loading screens of SCIV looked way better. Idk if it's the pose or what, but i'd much rather look at her 2D model instead.

SC6 is not yet a finished product (pending DLC) and is already much better than SC5.
Agreed SCV didn’t feel like soulcalibur to me stepping was unsafe which killed 8wayrun they took out vets and replaced them with subpar characters the brave whatever’s were just EX street fighter moves etc.
5 is the only time in the series where I would rather play tekken, and that’s sad because tag 2 was broken AF.
I’ve been ride or die for SC since 1 but it felt like it sold out to everything and everyone.

6 isn’t perfect but it is hands down the most fun I’ve had since SC3.
The changes in break attack and lethal hits alone make this better than 5 for me, not to mention the games speed being a lot better (no need for though stupid speed lines)

Jesus I hated 5...

I'd love to see an option to allow the display of 2D art only (without changing into the 3D model) in the characet select & loading screens. Some models such as Ivy's look really bad and awkward.

Idk if it's the pose or what, but i'd much rather look at her 2D model instead.

I feel the same way about some of the character models. For example, I don't think Raphael's pose looks too good, especially compared to his slick official art. It'd make a nice alternate option to enjoy the art if we could switch off the 3D models in some of the screens.

Nah, there were definitely others before that. Actually, I don't think we can say with any certainty that SCIV's netcode was bad. It came so early in the transition to online play for fighters, it wouldn't be weird to determine empirically that it was coded poorly, but I still played the occasional game on there up until a couple of years ago, and it was not awful. Better than the average SCVI game I play today by a mile, in fact. I think the real problem was the fact that many of the people you would play against in ranked were people on shit connections, at a time when the internet backbone for even some countries at the head of the telecommunications revolution was not great. But yeah, SCV was better in this regard, much better. Though both games (and VI) employ a ranking system that makes the connection issues you do run into much more annoying when they happen, needlessly.
Oh, it was bad. It was bad bad bad. It isn't that long ago I randomly played some SC4, SC5 and SC6 against the same friend. SC4 feels absolutely atrocious compared to 5 and 6. And I'd say 5 and 6 feel more or less the same netcode-wise.

It was bad back in 2008 as well. There were certainly many other games which struggled with bad netcode back in those days, but a lot of games got it right too.

I would love to see the actual code for SC4, because I don't understand how they messed it up so badly. 4, 5, and 6 are all using the same type of netcode. Each client waits for input from both players before it continues the game simulation. This means the input lag will be roughly half of your ping to the opponent (a ping is the time it takes for a network packet to reach a client and return back to you). As long as the game simulation is completely deterministic this is the easiest netcode to implement for any game.

But somehow SC4 has a much higher input lag than you'd expect. My only guess is that they did some kind of packet verification where it waits for confirmation from both clients that they've received the input for the current frame, resulting in input lag 2 to 3 times higher than it should be. Or maybe the game uses TCP rather than UDP for its netcode (TCP has more overhead than UDP), but I would assume all of Xbox used UDP for online play as that's naturally better for gaming. Whatever the reason is, I'm still bitter about the whole thing.

I'm basically Nyte when it comes to this. Challenge fan service and you'll get hit over the head with a cushion by Nyte. Show me bad netcode and I'll hit you over the head with Nyte.

Oh, it was bad. It was bad bad bad. It isn't that long ago I randomly played some SC4, SC5 and SC6 against the same friend. SC4 feels absolutely atrocious compared to 5 and 6. And I'd say 5 and 6 feel more or less the same netcode-wise.

It was bad back in 2008 as well. There were certainly many other games which struggled with bad netcode back in those days, but a lot of games got it right too.

I would love to see the actual code for SC4, because I don't understand how they messed it up so badly. 4, 5, and 6 are all using the same type of netcode. Each client waits for input from both players before it continues the game simulation. This means the input lag will be roughly half of your ping to the opponent (a ping is the time it takes for a network packet to reach a client and return back to you). As long as the game simulation is completely deterministic this is the easiest netcode to implement for any game.

But somehow SC4 has a much higher input lag than you'd expect. My only guess is that they did some kind of packet verification where it waits for confirmation from both clients that they've received the input for the current frame, resulting in input lag 2 to 3 times higher than it should be. Or maybe the game uses TCP rather than UDP for its netcode (TCP has more overhead than UDP), but I would assume all of Xbox used UDP for online play as that's naturally better for gaming. Whatever the reason is, I'm still bitter about the whole thing.

I'm basically Nyte when it comes to this. Challenge fan service and you'll get hit over the head with a cushion by Nyte. Show me bad netcode and I'll hit you over the head with Nyte.
I remember it was so bad that even Kilik's 2A+K (I think it had this notation) which is like a 40+ frame low was unblockable on reaction regardless of connection being 4bar

Ouch. Now that’s just abuse for an already established punching bag...and trash fighting game netcodes all around.

It wasn't just SC4 it was also Tekken 6, Bandai Namco obviously had a stick up their arse to do the netcode themselves just like Capcom. It's taken them ten years to get to an acceptable level but better late than never.

I remember it was so bad that even Kilik's 2A+K (I think it had this notation) which is like a 40+ frame low was unblockable on reaction regardless of connection being 4bar
Yeah, I remember Kilik was an unstoppable beast in SC4 online, only because the netcode made it impossible to react to his stuff. I can remember Cervantes was a popular character to spam attacks with as well, but at least his gimmicky attacks were actually slow enough to react to online.

It wasn't just SC4 it was also Tekken 6, Bandai Namco obviously had a stick up their arse to do the netcode themselves just like Capcom. It's taken them ten years to get to an acceptable level but better late than never.
There's nothing wrong with implementing this kind of netcode (lockstep) without licensing middleware (I don't think there even exists middleware for this kind of netcode), because it is a really easy netcode to make. It's by far the easiest as it requires minimal modification to the existing game code. The only requirement is that the gameplay is completely deterministic (which is common for fighting games).

Capcom messed up because they tried to create a fairly complex type of netcode (rollback) by themselves and they misunderstood some basic concepts to actually make it function well (I can't remember what they got wrong, but the GGPO guys did a presentation which is on Youtube where they explain how Capcom messed up their rollback netcode). The extra worrying thing is that Capcom seems to think the netcode's fine as it is. In a recent interview with Ono he spoke as if the netcode only had problems around launch.

The Mortal Kombat developers had a presentation at GDC about their experiencing making a rollback netcode which is pretty interesting to watch:

That's a good example that rollback netcode can be extremely hard to implement, especially for 3D games (the game needs to be capable of simulating many gameplay ticks during one frame, and you need to work on reducing the effect of visual elements snapping to a different state whenever a rollback happens).

Street Fighter V should have just gone with a lockstep netcode. That would have been less headache for both the players and developers. Licensing GGPO wouldn't be a bad idea either, but it would still be a lot of work to implement.

I would also love to see more variations of the Soul Charge auras. Pink, Purple, White, Black, Green, you know... I don't think it'll cost them much to add those since it's just a recolour of something that already exists. It's little changes like these that add more flavor to the game.

Since apparently we're only getting 1 completely new stage this entire season, cost reductive changes/additions like these would help a lot.

I just want a release date, im really hoping they are not pushing us to wait til next year. It would be crazy to believe that they would release s2 without Hilde, and her being released later? Or im being way too pessimistic?

I would also love to see more variations of the Soul Charge auras. Pink, Purple, White, Black, Green, you know... I don't think it'll cost them much to add those since it's just a recolour of something that already exists. It's little changes like these that add more flavor to the game.

Since apparently we're only getting 1 completely new stage this entire season, cost reductive changes/additions like these would help a lot.
Whoa, where did the new stage part come from?

I would bet Hilde would be released in early December at the latest. She seems pretty much finished at this point.
Mmm that actually makes sense, since Okubo said that he would inform about the changes very soon (that could only mean patch notes), and those both for T7 and SC6 have been released barely 4 or 5 days max before both game patches, and tekken seasons 2 and 3.

Back