Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Because Viola doesn’t happen until a fair bit later, same as Algol. And I’m not sure where it’s even loosely implied that Viola can time travel, just that she can see visions of the future using Azwel’s crystal ball. We are constrained by the story leading up to but not starting SoulCalibur II, and Viola isn’t in the picture yet.

I will still argue that Viola could absolutely happen as a DLC. Story or not - if character has enough sale potential they will push it regardless of story. As it happens - Viola is quite popular and is very unique and therefore should be considered as a potential DLC within SCVI lifespan

In other news, we have managed to achieve 1900 pages of this damn thread. How is it that we have managed to get this far? Well...

AEFCFCDD-2A61-4993-A6E8-D7C7B7A0E383.gif

Thread's probably gonna last as long as the game itself will and longer at this rate. As for Viola, it's safe to say literally any character could show up at any point with the depth of boundary-breaking they've made Astral Chaos capable of. Time and space are irrelevant in that matter at this point, so even if it's not a great excuse in a lot of cases, and only Cassie had it properly set up aside from Geralt, the 2 of them alone make an easy enough case for them to choose who they want. After all, if SCIV Cassie can meet SCVI Cassie after experiencing countless timelines of roughly the same events, stands to reason anyone getting sucked into Astral Chaos or entering by any means could go anywhere.

So story restriction isn't really an issue, and NM and Sieg are separate points in time for the same character, so it's not like they're opposed to allowing that. I'd welcome having characters like Viola, Algol, and really literally everyone back personally. Not a huge list left for SC characters with their own styles, and if they stretched it to adding the kids, they already proved same weapons could be drastically different this time. No reason they couldn't keep taking that further. Unlikely, but the option exists.

Thread's probably gonna last as long as the game itself will and longer at this rate. As for Viola, it's safe to say literally any character could show up at any point with the depth of boundary-breaking they've made Astral Chaos capable of. Time and space are irrelevant in that matter at this point, so even if it's not a great excuse in a lot of cases, and only Cassie had it properly set up aside from Geralt, the 2 of them alone make an easy enough case for them to choose who they want. After all, if SCIV Cassie can meet SCVI Cassie after experiencing countless timelines of roughly the same events, stands to reason anyone getting sucked into Astral Chaos or entering by any means could go anywhere.

So story restriction isn't really an issue, and NM and Sieg are separate points in time for the same character, so it's not like they're opposed to allowing that. I'd welcome having characters like Viola, Algol, and really literally everyone back personally. Not a huge list left for SC characters with their own styles, and if they stretched it to adding the kids, they already proved same weapons could be drastically different this time. No reason they couldn't keep taking that further. Unlikely, but the option exists.
Viola is my favorite character and I was hoping to see her in the game, but gave up after everyone saying she doesn't fit this timeline and is better suited for SCVII

Viola is my favorite character and I was hoping to see her in the game, but gave up after everyone saying she doesn't fit this timeline and is better suited for SCVII

This was (and is) my exact situation and I’m surprised that I still kept this negative-minded thought process even after finishing Cassandra’s story when she was released. Whether she will make it is questionable, but the grounds on why she can’t be allowed in the game have the solidarity of dust. After Setsuka, no future legacy character is truly interesting to me. The Wilhelm potential could be cute, but I’d still want to see Viola travel with Z.W.E.I.. For them to introduce a new O.C. next season would be shocking, but that’s probably the only other stirring thing aside from if they don’t include Setsuka.

i would be pissed off if they include Setsuka in SC7 instead of SC6!

i need Setsuka to be in SC6 along with Hwang, Rock, Yun-Seong and Haohmaru

anyways, i'm taking a break from playing SC6 for a while until they announced about them and more items for Creation

So if we are talking about DLC and if a new character were to be introduced in the SC world, what kind of weapon and what would the characters background be?

My vote goes to the sai and as for the character i would put it together with a indian budist monk, maybe then his story would be something like: in his search for nirvana rumors were that there is a sword that could help you reach it, but soon he discovers that the sword that people were talking about was soul edge, after realizing this he seeks to destroy it. (The story is a little generic i know)

20--octagon-ying-yang-sai.jpg

Also a lance would be nice, we had it in SC3 so why not reintroducing it but this time with a proper character attached to it.

polina-popova-dragoon-lance.jpg

The reason for that is probably because those characters will take spot from a potentially more interesting/unique characters. I mean - I'm all in for legacy characters to come back personally but I can understand why some may find Li-Long, Lizardman or Rock a waste of space.

Most of those people are only interested in guests from other franchises, they'd rather shit up Soul Calibur than ask for a guestathon game with Calibur mechanics.

Im not saying dont put clones in the game. Im just saying dont put them in the first 2 seasons. While there are actually characters who are way more unique out there already. After that go ahead give me 3 hwangs i dont care.

No one is a clone character in SC6, what makes you think they are going to do this with Hwang and Yun Seong? Just because they share same weapon type doesn't mean they're clones as we can see with the rest of the cast.

So if we are talking about DLC and if a new character were to be introduced in the SC world, what kind of weapon and what would the characters background be?
I think a character that specializes in hand to hand combat sounds refreshing. Perhaps a boxer (like steve)? maybe a martial artist (Akira)? how about another mishima (Kazuya)? i know for sure we'd get some sick combos too. as far as character goes, a stern middle aged asian man seeking soul edge will do lol

Well, I think there is virtuall zero chance a slot will go to a new original character, but the question is one worth considering all the same. I really wouldn't mind seeing a meteor hammer, though I appreciate it would take some work to be made to look fluid and natural in the context of a game like this, where it needs to be able to strike and be recoiled quickly, over and over. I'm also quite keen to see a proper saber style finally, and I think, given the timing of the setting, a Polish-Lithuanian officer with a Szabla would be a pretty ideal candidate, but the weapon could just as easily be any of the large class of period-appropriate scimitars that approximate a saber,: a Berber kimcha, a Turkic kilij, Indian pulwar, or Persian shamshir.

In any event, the overwhelmingly most important point for me is that the weapons be based in reality in terms of actual practicality, which in turn means looking to historical weapons--after all, if there was a method for slashing, stabbing or bludgeoning someone else, we found it as a species and then honed the design for generations into increasingly efficient instruments--rather than the kind of cringe-inducing "kewl" weapons that the character designers have been leading with in the original characters over recent games. No more hula-hoops, swords improbably gripped by the cross-guards or in the middle of their center of gravity making them much less practical than just half of that same weapon would be, and--for the love of Hephaestus--no more flipping wizards pulling their shape-shifting weapons from mid-air. Likewise (and in concert) some characters derived from actual cultures rather than bizarre anime-emo transplants would be nice. It's not that I don't appreciate that most of both the weapon forms and the historical cultures are superficial, goofy approximations on the real thing, insofar as how SC has always rendered them. But I appreciate at least a token effort towards some sense of realism and atmosphere. Enough Zweis, Grohs, Azwels, Algols, and Necrids. Just a little lip service paid towards the origins of the series in adopting the majority of its style from actual historical armed combat, rather than straight up nerd-fest anime fantasy fare.
My vote goes to the sai and as for the character i would put it together with a indian budist monk, maybe then his story would be something like: in his search for nirvana rumors were that there is a sword that could help you reach it, but soon he discovers that the sword that people were talking about was soul edge, after realizing this he seeks to destroy it. (The story is a little generic i know)
View attachment 71352
I'd be all for sai, but they are a little overplayed in fighting games at this point; the design would have to be something unique in order SC to make them its own. I can see what you're going for with the Buddhist monk angle, but I think there's a problem there: the sai people are most familiar with (a variant of which is shown in your image selection) is really a weapon of Okinawan origin. It's true that a somewhat similar weapon also taking its basic shape from a short-hafted trident, was once utilized in India (and indeed through the eastern half of Eurasia in one form or another), but it didn't look quite as the sai we think of today does. Is an Indian monk with Okinawan sais close enough to accurate for SC purposes? I suppose so, but I don't see why, if they wanted to take a chance on the Sai, the monk couldn't be Japanese and remain Buddhist, as the religion did reach Japan and thrive there into the present day. Save the Indian for a pulwar, a patar, or an aruval.
Also a lance would be nice, we had it in SC3 so why not reintroducing it but this time with a proper character attached to it.

View attachment 71353
Ehh, this one veers a little too much back into the territory of silliness, for me. I actually kind of liked Giardot and his take on this concept--with the obvious caveat that all of the SCIII:CE bonus characters were unfinished gimmick characters who could not compete in high level play, to the extent it existed for that version of SCIII, being broken as it was with respect to balance and tight mechanics. But I guess I'm less forgiving these days, because just looking at that makes me roll my eyes a little at the concept: a lance is shaped as it is because it was a force concentrator and it only makes sense as a cavalry weapon; having all of that mass distributed across its length makes no sense for a melee weapon. There are a number of historical weapons however that functioned as light cavalry lances that could also function as a spear or pole-arm in a pinch, and I can see those working decently enough--although, frankly, precisely as Dante points out above, a vague approximation of this is kind of what Hilde already sports.
I think a character that specializes in hand to hand combat sounds refreshing. Perhaps a boxer (like steve)? maybe a martial artist (Akira)? how about another mishima (Kazuya)? i know for sure we'd get some sick combos too. as far as character goes, a stern middle aged asian man seeking soul edge will do lol
Yup, I am 100% with you here: in the past here, I've even advanced the theory that Kazuya is the logical next hand-to-hand character to import into the series, to finish out the Mishima trifecta. But whether its him or another brawler entirely, I think we definitely need a fist-bearing fighter: they bring so much to the table in terms of gameplay variety and creating an option for the thousands upon thousands of creations out there for which no weapon really feels appropriate. I certainly would never object to Akira, or any VF character, making a guest appearance anywhere, but at the same time, I'm not sure I think this is the ideal context for him: as contemporary 3D fighters go, VF and SC inhabit relatively opposite ends of the realism<--->fantasy spectrum, and aside from this, there's very little to induce Namco to license a character that has virtually no present-day cross promotional appeal to draw in new players, which is one of the major roles of a guest character.

Personally, although I'm not going to hold my breath on this one, I think the ideal choice would be a two-fer guest spot featuring Final Fantasy VII's Tifa. PS has shown it can utilize Square-Enix properties respectfully, and the timing for a season 3 character (immediately between the first and second FFVII Remake releases) is pretty rife for cross-promotional benefit for both parties. Further, given that Noctis was clearly ideal for SC but got utilized by Tekken first, there is something of a feeling of symmetry here (Tekken oddly got Final Fantasy's hyper-weaponized fighter, so why shouldn't SC get it's most notable brawler type?). Well, as I say, not holding my breath, but it feels like it would really help season 3 stick the landing--for me in any event.
In my frustration I spoke too soon about nothing being a surprise to me —
View attachment 71357
I do really, truly wish that Project Soul would feminize Ashlotte Maedel’s moveset and put her back into the series.
It's just not very likely to happen, based on what we know about how that character was licensed from a non-regular employee. As a business decision goes, Namco is unlikely to endorse bringing back a character that would need to be re-contracted around when it costs them very little in comparison to just generate a new character with their own design. Besides, if they wer to bring back any of those guest designs, clearly it should be Kamikirimusi!

Last edited:
1). A normal European Longsword user. Currently the closest thing we have is Geralt, but half of his arsenal is also magic plus he is not a SC original character and will be out by SC7. I imagine the style to draw heavily from HEMA and look close to For Honor Warden archetype with half-swording and murder strokes galore. Those things look cool as heck and are historically accurate on top of it:
Any European Knight type of a character should work. Salia Olschmidt in particular should do just fine.
The only possible reason against adding such a style as DLC for SC6 is the fact that delaying it up to SC7 instead will allow to salvage and repurpose some of Geralt's appropriate animations, which obviously can't be done withing SC6.

2). A normal Saber user. I would actually love to see an Eastern European warrior on the roster for once, so a Ukrainian Cossack or a Polish–Lithuanian Hussar. A lot of quick slashing moves are to be expected:
As far as the lore goes, you have multiple Cossack rebeions against Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth around 1590s as well as both sides dealing with raids by Ottoman Empire and Crimean Khanate, so everyone should have a reason to pursue Soul Edge.

3). A huge muscular barbarian woman (possibly a lesbian). Some kind of a reasonably oversized pole arm should work as a weapon.

4). I think we need a winged angel/demon character to salvage 2B's style, but that one obviously should be introduced in SC7 and not as a DLC for SC6.

I personally wanted a character that uses a bow with a blade on the tip, like Mina Majikina from Samurai Shodown (2019). As for his/her background, I don't know, as for the appearance, I would like a dark-skinned character...

I've even advanced the theory that Kazuya is the logical next hand-to-hand character to import into the series, to finish out the Mishima trifecta
I hope not. I mean, I love playing Kazuya, he's been my main since Tekken 2 and once you enter the EWGF vortex he's addictive as fuck to use, but transferring those moves like that to another game hasn't exactly been implemented to a satisfactory standard yet. I've actually been quite fortunate with this experience seeing as I main Kazuya in Tekken and Yoshimitsu in Calibur, the Mishima Karate attacks don't have the same crunch in the Calibur games much like Yoshi's moves don't have the same crunch in the Tekken games (which sounds odd seeing as he's originally from Tekken). If Project Soul decide to do a fist fighter then the character should have their own original moves otherwise I would feel cheated if the character stole all their animations from a Tekken character. Also I think Olcadan would work well as this fist fighter, he does have that Heihachi aura about him.

Last edited:
Back