Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The problem with dismissing characters like Rock, Li Long, Algol and Dampierre is that they really weren't given a chance to have their fan bases grow compared to other characters either through lack of appearances or any proper development, hence the clone stigma. However, SC6 is the best shot they have because today's Project Soul appears to be clued in on how to make legacy character unique and fun as fuck. I can't wait to see what they do with Hwang as I'm sure all his new stuff will convince people that all the legacy can make a worthy return.

Personally i want to see Algol back, mainly because of story content, i think there is space for pertinent and interesting information about him.
And whatever it the reason for people to dislike him, i think ProjectSoul know about it and will improve his moveset to re-enter the stage of history.

Setsuka's got at least 2 dozen new attack animations, 2 new stances, 3 unique resources and she wasn't even a clone. I don't think anyone was "underwhelmed" with how she turned out.

I have enormous confidence that the current project soul team knows how to make cool characters that feel fresh / stand out from the rest of the cast and there isn't any indication they somehow after ~25 characters they'll drop the ball with Hwang. Hideo Yoshie was the 3d modeller for the characters in SC4 (iirc) and they're still recycling his work from 2008 so i'm sure their updated hi-res Hwang face will look good.

Aeon / Rock / Li Long are in the same boat, and also have the flexibility of potentially different weapon to further differentiate them

To be clear, I'm not saying we should be rushing out of SoulCalibur VI just to get to SoulCalibur VII earlier, and I do feel like 2024 is probably a good target to expect SoulCalibur VII's release, I'm just saying that, if we didn't get a season three, for whatever reason, it could possibly mean we'd be getting the next game earlier, because if the Project Soul people are being taken to work on other projects, then that means those other things are going to get made, which will then free up Project Soul folks earlier, which would then lead to SoulCalibur VII coming out earlier as well.
Yeah, i get where you are saying--I'm just trying to be clear that I think the hierarchy of likelihoods are something like this: We get a Season Three, starting next year (60% chance); We don't get get a Season Three because Namco has decided under the circumstances it is not a worthwhile investment (39.9%); We don't get a Season Three because Namco is already planning SCVII (<.1%). As to whether wrapping up shop early on SCVI could hasten SCVII a little bit, even if it is still years away, I suppose that is not impossible, but even a developer as big as Namco only plans so many years ahead.

In any event, the big bottleneck there would seem to be Tekken: Tekken 8 has to be launch and be well established before a Project Soul team can be fully staffed, from all indications--unless Namco is planning on making PS a standing studio, which we have never heard an indication of. In truth, although I'm sure that the final decision about Season Three has probably been made by now (some small portion of staff would have to be doing concept work on it by now in order to keep pace as Season Two ends), beyond that, I'm not sure even Namco knows what comes next with certainty, since everyone in big budget entertainment is holding their breath right now waiting to see what the market looks like this next year as people truly begin to feel the pinch of depressed markets and low wages.

If we do get a season three, though, just being open and honest here, I really don't see Aeon, Guest (unless that guest is HUGE), Yun-seong, and either Rock or a new character, drawing in as many sales as Tira, 2B, Amy, and Cassandra or Hilde, Haohmaru, Setsuka, and Hwang. So that being true, it puts a possible damper on the likelihood of a season three being a certainty. SoulCalibur just unfortunately does not have the massive rosters that other fighting games have to pull DLC characters from, and they seem less inclined to make new characters as DLC, at least so far as they've shown.

But then, let's assume we do get a season three, would we then get a season four? I really don't think so. The effective pool of characters remaining at that point would be Li Long, Algol, and Dampierre, assuming we still have to have a guest, which is presumed true until they release a season pass that doesn't have a guest in it. And... yeah, Li Long, Algol, Dampierre are not really names that move sales. They have their fans, to be certain, but I can't imagine very much true hype being generated around that group of characters, unless there was another new character put in to replace one of those three.

And being completely generous that we do somehow get a season four, then a season five just becomes practically impossible, because there's just no one left, literally no characters left that aren't one-offs, the kids, or Z.W.E.I., and while we might could get Z.W.E.I., I have my personal doubts for the same reason that I don't believe we can see Viola in SoulCalibur VI, that their time is indeed for the future, in SoulCalibur VII, and not before. Amy is already confirmed to not turn into Viola as of 1590, so it would just be strange to have her ahead of schedule. And I don't see Z.W.E.I. working before then either.
Season Four certainly is unlikely-bordering-on-ludicrous-to-even-speculate-about, but I think it's more about stretching the interest of the install base than the character selection. I'm not saying you are wrong: you're absolutely correct that much of the remaining cast by then carries only so much weight with the fan base. I think the right guest could compensate for that some, but after Season Three there's just not much hope of buy in to make the content worth producing--especially considering we'd be a couple years into the next generation by then (although as of this week, rumors are flaying that PS5 will be almost 100% compatible with PS4 games, for what that is worth).

That said, to hypothetically speculate on who those characters would be, I think Viola's more likely than Li Long and Algol, frankly--and certainly a thousand times more likely than Dampierre. She's got broader appeal in terms of someone likely to inspire sales and the manner in which they have handled recent Soul Chronicles shows how flexible they are willing to be on how large a span of time these remake/reboot (whichever ends up being the more accurate description) games can cover. There's no reason SCVI can't continue to nudge into SCII-SCIII's timeframe for some characters, leaving SCVII to have a Soul Chronicle like set-up that has narratives for respective characters starting anywhere in SCII and SCIII territory and running through post-SCIV for some. Or any other number of ways they might do thing that would allow for Viola. If they think a character will sell in a given context, I think they'll generally find a way.

By the way, just to get away from the dry subject of development/challenges in the years ahead, and towards a more subjective and enjoyable topic (and this is something I've mentioned in the past but strangely nobody seems as hype for it as I am): Viola's likely entrance into the plot in the next game if not the present one opens a very interesting possibility: an eventual Amy-Viola hybrid style with both an épée-de-cour/colichemarde and Viola's orb. I mean, surely that's coming at some point if the franchise persists long enough, right? I know I tend to give a lot of shit to the more magical styles and lament how far the series has strayed from the days when the movesets were a little more based upon the aesthetics of actual historical weapons, but Viola is the one style in the arcane wheelhouse that I truly feel works, and I would be all kinds of thrilled if they found a way to marry Amy's moveset with hers, even if the resulting character only had a small fraction of the moves of either character and largely had to be built from the ground up. I can't wait to see how that plays out, even having been a little, frankly, disappointed with this last Amy after considering her my main main since SCIII:AE.

Dante can destroy SC 6 for everyone and cancelling Season 3, but me and @sytus will get your revenge when Okubo announces Lost Swords 2.
D2iFaixXcAo_m-R.jpg

#DanteSC3IsOverParty

They will be making tekken7 DLC til at least March 2021....if they announce Tekken 8 for a quick release in 2022 then maybe the hope will lost

Punishment for Mitsurugi taking out Shugen. lol
That was a mercy kill--so much of what the Kokonoe clan do makes no sense that we can only presume they are a group of inbred hill people using the most illogical form of swordsmanship ever (50% keeping your sword sheathed as much as possible, 50% weak reverse grip strikes), who have somehow convinced themselves they are elite assassins because they were able to beat up on their equally ineffective cousins. Mitsu probably felt unclean around guy number five who barely got his sword out, but who can deny he's sparring the world some flipper babies?

Setsuka is a blast in this game but her CE sucks.

Liked the SC4 one much better without the unnecessary cinematics and she hits from the front, not from the back which isn't like Setsuka's warrior character.

That's because of Haohmaru's issen being similar to A. Pat CE. Setsuka's CE is pretty good getting 1/2 the moon at -16.

Okay, I am bored today so let me share my experience with the game so far...if it is alright with y'all. :sc3set1:

Aside from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, this is one of the best games it has ever been my pleasure to play. Considering the DLC it has to offer currently, it makes me pretty glad I did not purchase on launch day.

Single-Player Modes: 6 outta 10. This is really the only part about SCVI that I am indifferent towards. See, unlocking Inferno was the first thing I did. The Soul Chronicle was normal difficulty to me. All the fights I went through, I never lost a single round. Libra of Souls appears to be a good story mode, but I was not going to bother.
Character Creation: 8.5 outta 10. This what got me into this series in the first place. It is nice one can choose from 16 different races, but I am used to the human race. Placing stickers is pretty tricky, which is just one gripe I have. Other than that, the DLC parts to date have made this mode worth using. Again, it was a blessing for me to not buy this game on launch day.
Network Mode: no rating. I was not going pay for playing online. Besides, online modes never interested me and even if I wanted to I would probably get my ass kicked 50 times in a row.
VS. Mode: As this is where I spend a good bit of time, I will not bother rating it.
Training Mode: 9 outta 10. This is where I spend most of my time, aside from Character creation. Doing combos is pretty fun, though damage scaling is difficult to follow and it sucks anyway compared to, say, Tekken 4.

My Overall Rating of SCVI...8.5 outta 10! By the way, SSBU got that same rating from me.
Tira - 8.5 outta 10. Play-style is starting to interest me, so I shall look into her some more.
2B - 8 outta 10. Was thinking about maining her, but now that my girlfriend Setsuka is back, I had second thoughts.
Amy - 8.5 outta 10. Such a beautiful outfit this time around and quite useful creation parts from it.
Cassandra - 9 outta 10. One of my most-used characters, so why not?
Hilde - 7.5 outta 10
Haohmaru - 7 outta 10
Setsuka - 9.5 outta 10. Considering she is my girl, y'all should of seen this coming. Just like the 50,000 other players out there, I am glad she has returned. Just like in the past, graceful yet tech-skill-intensive combos that we love to see. If you ask me, it is going to be like playing Peach in Ultimate (who, by the way, has been my main for the longest time in Smash)...sort of. Such an elegant costume she has even though her SC3 ones are the best in my book.
Murakumo Shrine Grounds - 10 outta 10. It looks almost looks like one of those stages outta SC2. But I love it here and am gonna call it my home-stage for my OCs.
Gairyu Isle - 9 outta 10. Another Japan-based stage? Wonderful! This may be another home-stage for my OCs.
Character Creation Packs - 7 outta 10. For each one, certain parts, as well as most hit effects, look good to me. I can care less about the rest since I make elegant female characters. Personally, I think the Tiger Lily Gauntlets should have stayed gender-locked to females like in SCIV, and it is a shame they did not port over the Tekken outfits they had in SCV. But anyway...with the possible exception of Character Creation Pack D, everything checks out for me.

One more thing... :sc3set1:

Does anyone think we’ll ever realistically see a Nintendo Switch port of SCVI? Would absolutely love to have this game on the go!

I think they could swap out 2B with another Nintendo exclusive guest character (Link would make it sell like crazy for sure) but otherwise the Switch has ports of The Witcher 3 and Samurai Shodown already so I don’t see any reason why Geralt or Haohmaru would not translate across.

Last edited:
Does anyone think we’ll ever realistically see a Nintendo Switch port of SCVI? Would absolutely love to have this game on the go!

I think they could swap out 2B with another Nintendo exclusive guest character (Link would make it sell like crazy for sure) but otherwise the Switch has ports of The Witcher 3 and Samurai Showdon already so I don’t see any reason why Geralt or Haohmaru would not translate across.
I’d be okay with a switch port but NO exclusive guests, and especially no on taking another characters spot, be it a guest or otherwise. They already used Link once before so I doubt they would use him again. And even if they did he wouldn’t even be allowed in tournaments once again since console exclusive characters are generally banned from competitive play. This was the same deal for Kratos in MK9.

Okay, I am bored today so let me share my experience with the game so far...if it is alright with y'all. :sc3set1:

Aside from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, this is one of the best games it has ever been my pleasure to play. Considering the DLC it has to offer currently, it makes me pretty glad I did not purchase on launch day.

Single-Player Modes: 6 outta 10. This is really the only part about SCVI that I am indifferent towards. See, unlocking Inferno was the first thing I did. The Soul Chronicle was normal difficulty to me. All the fights I went through, I never lost a single round. Libra of Souls appears to be a good story mode, but I was not going to bother.
Character Creation: 8.5 outta 10. This what got me into this series in the first place. It is nice one can choose from 16 different races, but I am used to the human race. Placing stickers is pretty tricky, which is just one gripe I have. Other than that, the DLC parts to date have made this mode worth using. Again, it was a blessing for me to not buy this game on launch day.
Network Mode: no rating. I was not going pay for playing online. Besides, online modes never interested me and even if I wanted to I would probably get my ass kicked 50 times in a row.
VS. Mode: As this is where I spend a good bit of time, I will not bother rating it.
Training Mode: 9 outta 10. This is where I spend most of my time, aside from Character creation. Doing combos is pretty fun, though damage scaling is difficult to follow and it sucks anyway compared to, say, Tekken 4.

My Overall Rating of SCVI...8.5 outta 10! By the way, SSBU got that same rating from me.
Tira - 8.5 outta 10. Play-style is starting to interest me, so I shall look into her some more.
2B - 8 outta 10. Was thinking about maining her, but now that my girlfriend Setsuka is back, I had second thoughts.
Amy - 8.5 outta 10. Such a beautiful outfit this time around and quite useful creation parts from it.
Cassandra - 9 outta 10. One of my most-used characters, so why not?
Hilde - 7.5 outta 10
Haohmaru - 7 outta 10
Setsuka - 9.5 outta 10. Considering she is my girl, y'all should of seen this coming. Just like the 50,000 other players out there, I am glad she has returned. Just like in the past, graceful yet tech-skill-intensive combos that we love to see. If you ask me, it is going to be like playing Peach in Ultimate (who, by the way, has been my main for the longest time in Smash)...sort of. Such an elegant costume she has even though her SC3 ones are the best in my book.
Murakumo Shrine Grounds - 10 outta 10. It looks almost looks like one of those stages outta SC2. But I love it here and am gonna call it my home-stage for my OCs.
Gairyu Isle - 9 outta 10. Another Japan-based stage? Wonderful! This may be another home-stage for my OCs.
Character Creation Packs - 7 outta 10. For each one, certain parts, as well as most hit effects, look good to me. I can care less about the rest since I make elegant female characters. Personally, I think the Tiger Lily Gauntlets should have stayed gender-locked to females like in SCIV, and it is a shame they did not port over the Tekken outfits they had in SCV. But anyway...with the possible exception of Character Creation Pack D, everything checks out for me.

One more thing... :sc3set1:
It's likely that Hwang will be the last character for Season 2. Do you have any expectations of him?

I never knew Wilhelm was voiced by frickin' Dimitri!
Random thought. With Tara Platt (Edelgard) voicing Setsuka, all we need is Joe Zieja (Claude) to voice someone in Hwang's chronicle to complete the Three Houses trio lol.
I wouldn't mind him as a season 3 character. Aside from guests, we haven't had a single original character for DLC yet. If he uses a HEMA lance, spear, halberd, or poleaxe weapon he could be pretty interesting.

Back